2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

For all of those saying Bird, I will point out that the level of shooting is off the charts compared to yesteryear. Other than Hodges destroying the field and a random Mark Price round, all of the best individual rounds--even when you remove the additional money balls points--have come after 2000. Shit, Steph is 1-5 in the event. If you can't make 20 shots in a round, you probably ain't winning. The most Bird ever made was 18.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

For all of those saying Bird, I will point out that the level of shooting is off the charts compared to yesteryear. Other than Hodges destroying the field and a random Mark Price round, all of the best individual rounds--even when you remove the additional money balls points--have come after 2000. Shit, Steph is 1-5 in the event. If you can't make 20 shots in a round, you probably ain't winning. The most Bird ever made was 18.

again, with Larry it's about how he is always bigger than the moment. in this theoretical all time greats 3-point shootout, he's the one guy who you *know* is up for the moment. that's Larry. that's his calling card. the kind of guy who will shit-talk you *before* the competition goes down. how can you bet against Bird knowing his record in these competitions combined with his attitude? for me, i can't. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That might be the weakest series of techs I’ve ever seen for a player as important as booker to get thrown out so quickly. These refs need to chill the fuck out 

was coming here to say the following:

"JJ Redick's ejection is the weakest ejection ever."

Suns vs Lakers refs: "Hold my beer."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL8aMxOl09J/?igshid=1x36rnb1inwz1

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, WJC88 said:

Curry has 1 win in 6 tries in the 3 point contest. Is it really crazy to pick a guy that won it 3 times over him?

So ignore the context of how much better shooters are overall now?

Y’all motherfuckers must be bored. It’s a three point contest. Anyone can catch fire, especially one of the most cold-blooded shooters to ever grace a basketball court. Would Steph be the favorite? Maybe, but anyone betting on Larry wouldn’t necessarily be throwing their money away. It’s not some egregious thought process. In a contest, you can take the stats and shove them up your ass. Hell, Marco Belinelli won against Steph in 2014. Marco Belinelli. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Who gives a fuck about a 3 point shootout where they’re grabbing balls off of a rack. Steph can go off the dribble from 3 better than anyone in the history of the sport. He can go from 25ft+ better than anyone in the history of the sport. Uncontested 3s might as well be layups. What the hell are we even talking about right now lol. This isn’t recency bias. 

10 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Who gives a fuck about a 3 point shootout where they’re grabbing balls off of a rack. Steph can go off the dribble from 3 better than anyone in the history of the sport. He can go from 25ft+ better than anyone in the history of the sport. Uncontested 3s might as well be layups. What the hell are we even talking about right now lol. This isn’t recency bias. 

The literal conversation is who would win a three point contest between Klay,  Steph, Larry, Reggie, Ray, and some other dude. So unless Steph is going to grab a ball off the rack in the middle of the contest, dribble it, and then shoot from 25 feet every time...

Edited by Kermit
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Lol at taking a career 38% 3 point shooter over the best shooter, by a huge margin, in the history of the game.

It's Steph. Any other answer is just trying to be contrarian. There is no other answer.

lol at acting as if shooting percentages from dudes who were in the NBA 40 years ago is an authentic look at their shooting ability. 

also, this isn't shooting during a game, and it isn't shooting in an empty gym; it's a three point contest among elite competition. Larry is not only the greatest to ever take part in this competition, but as stated, he is *built* for this type of competition. 

so yeah, i'll take the winningest, most successful, most trash talkingest, biggest nuts having dude over everyone else, and i'm nowhere close to be a contrarian. 

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

The literal conversation is who would win a three point contest between Klay,  Steph, Larry, Reggie, Ray, and some other dude. So unless Steph is going to grab a ball off the rack in the middle of the contest, dribble it, and then shoot from 25 feet every time...

Haha I’ve been exposed for not reading this page of the thread. Oops.

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The point being addressed is “who’s the best 3 point shooter? ” not “who’s the biggest bad ass? ”

wrong again. the answer to "who is the best 3 point shooter?" is Steph Curry. but that's not what we're talking about here. we're asking who would win a 3-point shooting competition under the bright lights with the world watching. i'll take the guy with ice water in his veins who also happens to be the best in the history of the competition. 

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol at acting as if shooting percentages from dudes who were in the NBA 40 years ago is an authentic look at their shooting ability. 

also, this isn't shooting during a game, and it isn't shooting in an empty gym; it's a three point contest among elite competition. Larry is not only the greatest to ever take part in this competition, but as stated, he is *built* for this type of competition. 

so yeah, i'll take the winningest, most successful, most trash talkingest, biggest nuts having dude over everyone else, and i'm nowhere close to be a contrarian. 

That's fair. I actually didn't realize Curry had been in it six times and only won it five. Like you said, it's a different beast shooting off a rack. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

the sheer number of stories of Larry walking up to his defender or even the entire other team, just to tell them exactly what was going to happen, is unreal.

my favorite Bird story was when he just decided to shoot left handed and dropped 47 on the Blazers.

Edited by Llogg
  • Haha 1

Or the night he went off against the Hawks in New Orleans and the Hawks bench was going crazy after every shot he made.   That may have been the game where he broke McHale's Celtics single game scoring record after KM broke Larry's earlier that season. 

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

my favorite Bird story was when he just decided to shoot left handed and dropped 47 on the Blazers.

And then said he was saving his right hand for the Lakers who they played next.    That shit is outrageous.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Was the 3 pt line closer back when Larry played vs current times?

No.   It was shorter for about 3-4 yrs in early 90s (I think).  Before that time and since its been 23'6" from the top and wings and 22' from the corners

McConnell finished with 16 points, 13 assists, 10 steals, 4 rebounds, and 1 block on 8/8 shooting. 👀 that's an all-time great stat line. unreal game for him, and not a hollow TD either- he led the Pacers back from 17 down to win the game by three. Have a fucking night TJ McConnell. 

edit: first TD featuring steals since Pearl Jam, er, Mookie Blaylock in 1998.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

dafuq?

Interesting, it’s tough to come up with something new these days, especially in what I assume is a pre-game layup line, which is normally a pretty ho-hum affair in the NBA.   Our hs coach used to get mad at us when we tried fun shit in layup lines.  Didn’t agree with him then, kind of agree with him now.  He thought that energy should be directed toward something that actually contributed to us winning the game.  We thought showing out for the court side cheerleaders was pretty important.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

McConnell finished with 16 points, 13 assists, 10 steals, 4 rebounds, and 1 block on 8/8 shooting. 👀 that's an all-time great stat line. unreal game for him, and not a hollow TD either- he led the Pacers back from 17 down to win the game by three. Have a fucking night TJ McConnell. 

Seriously - Amazing.

To get the thread back on track (and not so serious): TJ McConnell: the white Larry Bird 

(ducks)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Seriously - Amazing.

To get the thread back on track (and not so serious): TJ McConnell: the white Larry Bird 

(ducks)

Brings up another legendary Bird game. Beleive he was closing in on a quad double but sat the 4th quarter. When asked why he didn't go for 10 steals he said he "already did enough damage".

• Haha 1

The more relaxed and friendly the competition (or taking a very large sample size) I'd easily take Steph.  But if it was very serious...I might change my mind as I like Bird when the stakes are highest.  But, I have a very high opinion of Bird to be fair.  His injuries cut him down a little too soon, but his peak was just incredible.  Some people really forget that he could pass a lot like LeBron, but shoot from almost anywhere effectively like Durant.  He could also rebound well, and he even made three 2nd All-Defensive teams.  And his awareness, moxie, and competitive spirit...just awesome.        

I honestly never thought I'd ever see another SF (although Bird would be a 4 today in a lot of ways) I would consider greater than him until LeBron James came along.  And Durant (who is #3 to me on that SF list right now) is going to have to do a lot more to pass Bird...and I'd love to transplant Bird's brain/mentality to either of those two I just mentioned...scary, scary thought.  I love Bird's mind right up there with Kobe and Jordan.

• Hook 'Em 1

So a few things to note in the Steph vs Larry debate.  

1.  Larry Bird won the first 3 3 point contests ever starting in 86', which was the last of his MVP seasons.  He was already 29.  So if the contest was started earlier in the NBA's history and Larry was game to compete, there's a good chance he would have won at least 1 more but also lost.

2.  Bird also wasn't a great 3 point shooter his entire career.  In fact, beyond what looks like a fluky rookie season, he wasn't all that great if judged in today's context.  In years 2-5, he actually shot below 29% in all of those years.  Then he had his prime shooting years in which he had 4 straight season over 40%.  So, if the debate is, "who is the better shooter throughout their career"?  The answer is easy, its Steph.  But if the question is who would win in a contest, one would assume it's in their prime.  Larry's prime 4 years, he shot around 41.5-42% (someone else can do that actual math).  Steph's prime shooting, actually is in the first 4 years of his career, (I'm looking for sustained prime numbers, not just a season) and he shot around 44.4-44.8%.  So about a 2.5-3% delta.  

3.  In the years Larry won the 3 point contest, he was never the best 3 point shooter by percentage in the league.  In fact, he trailed by 2.8%, 8.1%, 7.7% behind the league leader and twice during his stretch at 3 point king, wasn't even the best 3 point shooter on his team (by percentage).  The #1 shooter in the league competed in the contest each year.  FTR, Steph never led the league in any of his 3 point contest appearances either, 1 season not even being the best 3 point shooter in his family, but he was always up there.

What does all that mean?  In their primes, they were both great shooters and extremely close in their prowess.  If we're judging by a career, frankly, it's not that close.  Steph's the guy.  But...... but, if it's one day or one game or one contest and it's in their primes.  Larry Joe Bird would absolutely have a great chance at winning.  Some guys aren't great at shooting off a rack.  Maybe nerves get to them as there's no real game flow.  Sometimes, they don't really care and just want to have fun.  I don't know.... I do know I would love to see it, but......

tenor.gif?itemid=5021055

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Montrezl Harrell offered a sharp rebuff to the technical foul he received in the Los Angeles Lakers' 123-120 loss at the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday, calling the whistle a "soft" decision by the official.

"I think some of the referees -- and this is not bashing any referee in general -- but there cannot be any instances of calling the game that soft, man," Harrell said after putting up 26 points and 11 rebounds but still seeing his Lakers head into the All-Star break with a seventh loss in their past 10 games.

Harrell scored a sweeping layup in the paint on Kings center Richaun Holmes with 10 minutes, 51 seconds remaining in the second quarter, putting L.A. up 33-26.

After absorbing contact from Holmes on the shot, Harrell said he simply yelled "and-1" as he ran back on defense, which prompted referee Jenna Schroeder to call him for the technical foul.

"What I said was, 'and-1,'" Harrell said. "No cursing, no profanity, none of that. And she turned around and gave me a tech because she was in her feelings, because she felt like I was too loud with her or I belittled her when we were talking [earlier in the game]. Like, you can't bring that into the game. I don't care who it is; I don't care what the situation is."

Harrell said he believes a prior interaction with Schroeder influenced how she perceived his outburst after the score on Holmes.

"Whether me and you or me and whatever ref got into it, in a verbal conversation the play before, just because you're still holding onto a grudge from that, you cannot come back and give me a tech," he said. "The tech that I got definitely was a big one for me and definitely shouldn't have been called, because at the instance of [the call], I'm not looking at her. I was nowhere near her vicinity. I'm running back on defense."

NBA refs are women literally and figuratively. 

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Larry's prime 4 years, he shot around 41.5-42% (someone else can do that actual math).

You don't need to do any math. On bref you can click on one season and then click on the last season you want for the window and it will give you the averages over that span. Works for game logs, too. 

20210304_194617.thumb.jpg.1929ff4b50cafedb295cb05f5379ecf7.jpg