2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

49 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

157026478_3999566933472991_8643652121040

row two. easily. well, "easily" as far as these things go. in other words, i have zero doubts about picking row two, as awesome as the other two squads are. row three has insane size, but row two is still too much with two of the three or four best players ever, not to mention that killer named MJ. replace AI (who i love) with Stockton and row one has a much better case. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

Really enjoyed the first episode of "The Inside Story". It was great seeing footage from the early days with all the different host. Hearing the stories from the behind the scenes people. Great job from the TNT crew.

row two. easily. well, "easily" as far as these things go. in other words, i have zero doubts about picking row two, as awesome as the other two squads are. row three has insane size, but row two is still too much with two of the three or four best players ever, not to mention that killer named MJ. replace AI (who i love) with Stockton and row one has a much better case. 

I agree that row two would win as well. They have a court spreader, slasher, post player, and a PG that can get to the rim or post up. They can also defend anywhere on the court.

3 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Blake Griffin being bought out by Pistons. Which title contender signs him for vet minimum?

All the usual suspects will be in the conversation -- Lakers, Clippers, Boston, etc, etc.  He can still score a little but he's really a shell of his first 3 years self.  He sort of added a 3 point shot although it's not great.  I would guess the Lakers would make sense with the questions around Davis.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Just looked up his #s. He's been atrocious this year. Not sure what he's going to add to the Nets besides being a larger than average body that can move the rock a bit. Maybe that's the allure.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

157026478_3999566933472991_8643652121040

My first instinct is 2 as well. Then I thought they could have some spacing issues with really only one floor spacer where the other teams have more perimeter shooting.

Then I realized that team 2 has the best player in history and the best offensive player in history and none of that shit matters. 2 would destroy. If we're playing pre 2010s rules the spacing doesn't matter as much and if we're playing 2021 rules then LO fucking L at trying to guard MJ without hand checking and beating the hell out of him down low. Team 2 also doesn't have any ball-stopper issues that the other two teams have. The PnR game and ball movement would be stupid. The team would literally be unguardable.

Team 3 takes the silver with a fantastic defensive squad. Team 1 comes in a distant third while LeBron bitches to the media about his three antequated teammates, becomes the de facto GM, and signs JR Smith to a max deal.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Embiid. Lakers play without AD may have cost LeBron any realistic chance. Nuggets record isn't good enough for Jokic. 

Kawhi and Harden also in the discussion. Lillard, too.

Edited by ztejas

Man- let me be the lone dissenting voice and say team 3 has a real chance against team 2. Curry will stick out like a sore thumb and the disadvantage between whoever he guards offensively vs his D is going to be the largest gap there. 
hakeem is way better than Robinson as he proved before. I like penny and his length giving jordan some problems. I would take Durant 1 on 1 over curry by a lot. 
squad 1 is severely outgunned. No chance. 

If you replaced AI with say Chris Paul or D Wade or even Klay Thompson I would probably take them. Bron and Bird would be an amazing combo, and a case can be made that Kareem was the best player of all time. AI just kills that team.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If you replaced AI with say Chris Paul or D Wade or even Klay Thompson I would probably take them. Bron and Bird would be an amazing combo, and a case can be made that Kareem was the best player of all time. AI just kills that team.

Yep. AI makes that team a complete non starter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Interesting boxscore from a Bucks/Spurs game from back in '82... 

spacer.png

Damn... a 45 and a 50 piece in the same game (on the same team). How many times has that happened?

Edited by ztejas

7 threes attempted...the entire game.  Wow.

When I was a young rube, I’d listen to the twolves on the radio and shoot baskets in the hallway on one of those door hoops... then the next morning I’d look at the box score in the paper hoping they made like 7+ 3s that game... usually it was 2-5. But seeing 7-10 I thought they were the 96 bulls

On 3/4/2021 at 10:33 PM, Llogg said:

If we're being real, wtf is Penny doing in the conversation here? And why are they rows of four? Vic, that graphic is trash.

Only thing I can think of is that this is actually a”Spot the odd one” puzzle. 

but then there are 4 players per team for some reason. 

so you sound right. This is trash. 

On 3/4/2021 at 10:27 PM, shadow_operative said:

also this seems a good a time as any to mention that John Stockton is possibly the most underrated player of all time. ask his peers what they think about him. guy was a true all timer. 

His assists and steals record will stay there for a long long time. No current player on pace to breaking it. 

basically guy never got injured. And played consistently and for so long. This record might stay forever until robots are allowed in the nba. 

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I remember the western conf finals from 97 that they show at the end. It was my first full season of watching the NBA. Stockton made all of Houston cry that night. 

Edited by remoh

14 hours ago, Underdog said:

Interesting boxscore from a Bucks/Spurs game from back in '82... 

spacer.png

That's a legendary game in spurs history. Triple overtime. Set all kinds of records. Brian Winters and his wolfman beard had the game of his life. 

Also, holy shit the spurs bench was terrible. When Mike fucking Bratz and Roger Phegley are getting actual minutes for you in a contested game - I don't care if they did play an extra 15 minutes - your bench sucks. Maybe there were injuries but still.... 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's a legendary game in spurs history. Triple overtime. Set all kinds of records. Brian Winters and his wolfman beard had the game of his life. 

Also, holy shit the spurs bench was terrible. When Mike fucking Bratz and Roger Phegley are getting actual minutes for you in a contested game - I don't care if they did play an extra 15 minutes - your bench sucks. Maybe there were injuries but still.... 

RIP Mike Mitchell.  I don't know that there has ever been a better shooter from the baseline.  His shot was also just about unblockable.