2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’d imagine it’s about a bit more than public safety.

Yeah - maybe, maybe not. None of the teams have said otherwise. Obviously they can spin it however they want but the chief reason seems to be safety in accordance with the curfew. 

That's terrible. He was so exciting to watch last year in the playoffs. He and Donovan Mitchell going at each other was awesome.

That's going to do it for Denver's chances though. What a shame... they were a legitimate contender in my eyes. And then there were 7... Nets, Sixers, Bucks, Jazz, Lakers, Clippers, and Suns. And until the Suns do something in the playoffs and CP3 proves that he can stay healthy, I'm not sure they belong in that group either. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's terrible. He was so exciting to watch last year in the playoffs. He and Donovan Mitchell going at each other was awesome.

That's going to do it for Denver's chances though. What a shame... they were a legitimate contender in my eyes. And then there were 7... Nets, Sixers, Bucks, Jazz, Lakers, Clippers, and Suns. And until the Suns do something in the playoffs and CP3 proves that he can stay healthy, I'm not sure they belong in that group either. 

Yeah- I don’t think you can put Phoenix in that group. I can’t imagine them winning series against clippers/lakers/nets and sure don’t see them doing 3 in a row of those things. 

42 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Sucks for Murray and the Nugs. They might not be completely dead in the water thanks to the acquisition of Gordon and the continuing improvement of Michael Porter Jr., but it's a huge loss.

This here.   It definitely hurts because they were just starting to find their way a bit.    They appear to be deep enough to sustain a loss but Murray was a proven playoff performer.   They will need someone else to step up come playoff time

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If only for injury concerns. If the Nets and Lakers are fully healthy and on the same page it's them 2 then everyone else afaic. 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

This here.   It definitely hurts because they were just starting to find their way a bit.    They appear to be deep enough to sustain a loss but Murray was a proven playoff performer.   They will need someone else to step up come playoff time

I don't think you can lose your second best player and still compete. With the right match up maybe they win a series but no chance for a ring. Maybe the Warriors could have lost Durant and still won until Klay went out, but no other team in memory can sustain that kind of loss and realistically win a title. They aren't replacing what Murray gave them. They are going to get run out of the gym in the first round by the Lakers most likely. 

It's a shame. I think this is the best nuggets team in their history. They were playing great. Jokic was MVP worthy, they added Gordon and now this. 

47 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Maybe the Warriors could have lost Durant and still won until Klay went out

Not a chance. And Kawhi was the best player in that series. Arguably with or without Durant. That fuckhole would have found a way to win either way me thinks. 

The Jamal injury still bugs me because the Warriors were diicking around trying to pump Curry's point total in the last few minutes instead of just closing the fucking game out. Had they done that, Murray takes a seat and doesn't blow his ACL out. 

Not that I'm blaming anyone or saying it shouldn't have happened - just tough luck sometimes with the way that stuff pans out. 

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not a chance. And Kawhi was the best player in that series. Arguably with or without Durant. That fuckhole would have found a way to win either way me thinks. 

The Jamal injury still bugs me because the Warriors were diicking around trying to pump Curry's point total in the last few minutes instead of just closing the fucking game out. Had they done that, Murray takes a seat and doesn't blow his ACL out. 

Not that I'm blaming anyone or saying it shouldn't have happened - just tough luck sometimes with the way that stuff pans out. 

There is zero chance the Raptors beat the Warriors with a healthy Durant and Thompson. None. Zip. Zilch. 

As it stands, Thompson got hurt in the 3rd quarter of game 6 in Oakland (after he already had 30) and they eventually lost by only 4 points. The W's were winning at the end of 3. I don't think it unreasonable that they win that game at home with a healthy Klay and then the Raptors start to feel the pressure of blowing a 3-1 lead and have to face the Warriors at home in game 7. With the weight of the entire country on their shoulders. I would have liked the Warriors chances with all of their big game experience. And as always, fuck Kawhi.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There is zero chance the Raptors beat the Warriors with a healthy Durant and Thompson. None. Zip. Zilch.

Yes. Agreed ×1000. Durant's Achilles likely cost him a chance at being the 3rd ever 3 straight FMVP. 

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As it stands, Thompson got hurt in the 3rd quarter of game 6 in Oakland (after he already had 30) and they eventually lost by only 4 points.

You're helping my memory. I would have guessed he went down in game 5 - so say they win G6 I'd definitely give them a good chance in G7. Carry on. 

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why this doesn’t happen, who knows. One of the great coaching strategies that always goes unused

that really only works if the other team doesn't have a TO left.  most teams would have one left in that situation.

Dead ball yes... off a missed free throw or inbounds off a make I don’t believe they can
They can. Can't dribble or pass it tho. If you were watching espn mavs just did it and won the game because of it after grayson allen missed two FTs which would have iced the game.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Steph is a witch. I seriously think he might be a fucking witch. 

He's literally never played better. They're 26-21 in games that he plays. Because of injuries, about a month of that was with Kelly Oubre as the tallest player on their active roster. They can't even compete without him (1-7 when he sits).

His usage is the highest of his career, but his turnover % is his 2nd lowest. His 3pt% is only slightly down from his MVP years because he's gone from ~4 open looks a game to ~2.5. With that roster, he's getting doubled the second that he crosses half court, and it just doesn't matter.

Where's P/thatguy to tell us that he's overrated and wouldn't be nearly as good without Klay and KD beside him?

He won't win MVP, but I'm not sure that you can convince me that he hasn't been this year's best player.

• Hook 'Em 2

That's the same surgery that JJJ had last year in the bubble and he's still not back on the floor. He's supposed to be back by the end of this month. I guess you can cut away the scar tissue and it's a quicker road to recovery but not as good for your joint long term. I'm not sure if Memphis is being overly cautious or what but it seems crazy to me that it's taking basically as long as an ACL reconstruction to get a guy back on the floor. 

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

That's the same surgery that JJJ had last year in the bubble and he's still not back on the floor. He's supposed to be back by the end of this month. I guess you can cut away the scar tissue and it's a quicker road to recovery but not as good for your joint long term. I'm not sure if Memphis is being overly cautious or what but it seems crazy to me that it's taking basically as long as an ACL reconstruction to get a guy back on the floor. 

I think there is speculation that the surgery got fucked up, but I'm guessing they are being overly cautious. And they should be. They are destined for one of the play in seeds with or without him (and a first round exit at best after that).  Cover him in bubblewrap and let him have a few regular season games under his belt before getting some playoff-ish experience. Move up a few spots in the draft and get ready to take the next step next year. 

^That's pretty cool. I know some of the stigma of playing Utah while black has been removed of late - I believe it was Derrick Favors who actively sought to get BACK to SLC. But can't help but think this will only help them attract talent. Also I love Spida Mitchell - up there with Dame and Jimmy Buckets as my top NBA non MSU guys.