2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

8 hours ago, d2o said:

That's crazy speculative.   Pip was MVP level just the yr before with no major additions after his team lost the best player in the league.   They were a bad call away from the ECF w/o MJ

It might be wrong but I'd argue it's not entirely speculative. It's the greatest controlled experiment in basketball history. Pippen plus Jordan == champs, Pippen at his peak minus Jordan == second round exit, Pippen plus Jordan again == champs.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Llogg said:

It might be wrong but I'd argue it's not entirely speculative. It's the greatest controlled experiment in basketball history. Pippen plus Jordan == champs, Pippen at his peak minus Jordan == second round exit, Pippen plus Jordan again == champs.

Yeah you're wrong.  One season?   Again, with no replacement for the best player in the game and he 2nd best player is Horace Grant?  Good grief. And the only definition of "competing for a ring" is winning one in that one yr?

Edited by d2o

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I don't think anyone has suggested the greatest basketball player ever didn't meaningfully contribute to Chicago's success.

But how many other top-10 all-time players' teams would have been capable of winning 55 games and taking the eventual conf representatives to 7 games if they were removed from the team? That's got to be at least flirting with "super team" status, which I believe is what spawned this digression

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Llogg said:

That definition of super team is far too liberal. Basically every championship team qualifies under that rubric.

Well, it's gonna be difficult to land on common ground on this one. I'd estimate fewer than 10 championship teams ever would fit that criteria 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

And we don't know the other side - does Jordan win without Pippen? I think no way in hell. 

I know it was kind of a gamble but MPJ was such a steal. 

Over his last 19 games he's putting up 23.6 ppg on 56/46/81 splits with 1.6 stocks and about an assist and a turnover and a half. All star numbers.

Edited by ztejas

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Over his last 19 games he's putting up 23.6 ppg on 56/46/81 splits with 1.6 stocks and about an assist and a turnover and a half. All star numbers.

i wouldn't call those all star numbers in the West. but yes, the gamble has paid off. MPJ has lived up to the hype.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i wouldn't call those all star numbers in the West. but yes, the gamble has paid off. MPJ has lived up to the hype.

Maybe not quite. Fringe though. Not too far off Zion or PG. Those shooting splits are bananas.

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

25.6 on 56/51/? (didn't care to calc FTs) since Murray went down. 16.6 FGA/gm; 8 3pa/gm. Maintained/increased efficiency as volume has climbed throughout the year. To my eyes he looks like he has the makings of a legit star. Does need to get to the line more frequently.

Some bozo was aghast last year when I suggested '18 draft had noteworthy players beyond Luka & Trae. Namely: MPJ, SGA and JJJ. If I cared a little more I'd dig it up and put them on blast.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

everyone else might love that guy, but the Charlotte announcer is total clown shoes to me. he should be calling 1A HS football games in the valley with that shtick.

They think it's so awesome and it is so fucking stupid and cringe.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Always thought Shaq would've been a good candidate to try FTs underhanded.  

He said he would rather miss them than shoot them underhanded cause it was "uncool"

1 hour ago, d2o said:

He said he would rather miss them than shoot them underhanded cause it was "uncool"

I've never bought into the idea that it would be "easy" to shoot 70+% underhanded. It's an entirely different, foreign technique. NBA players have been tuning their normal shooting form for 20+ years, and obviously still struggle with it. You'd be asking guys to spend a decent chunk of their valuable gym time to hone a skill that they've otherwise never done and will never use during live ball play to potentially up their FT%.

It would be like telling Tiger that he might be able to improve his sand save percentage by using a baseball grip in the bunker. Ok? Cool?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I've never bought into the idea that it would be "easy" to shoot 70+% underhanded. It's an entirely different, foreign technique. NBA players have been tuning their normal shooting form for 20+ years, and obviously still struggle with it. You'd be asking guys to spend a decent chunk of their valuable gym time to hone a skill that they've otherwise never done and will never use during live ball play to potentially up their FT%.

It would be like telling Tiger that he might be able to improve his sand save percentage by using a baseball grip in the bunker. Ok? Cool?

There was a kid in the league a yr or two ago who switched to underhand and his FT% went up.    I'd have to dig for a min to remember who it was.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, d2o said:

There was a kid in the league a yr or two ago who switched to underhand and his FT% went up.    I'd have to dig for a min to remember who it was.

Played for the Rockets. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onuakch01.html

Didnt stick long in the league but he went from 46% to 59% switching to underhand in college.  Made all 4 of the ones he got in the league lol

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lebron had a bad night.  How it started....

image.thumb.png.b414fad1b4c9d09965519f43594e52d7.png

How it ended.

Wow.  He mad?  Maybe he was in a bad mood from the hit he took to the head?

LeBron was all for the play-in game up until it potentially affected him. Typical lebron

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Washington is playing some really good basketball.

13-3 run with all 3 losses coming on the 2nd nights of a back to back. I would be scared if I was the loser of the 7-8 game.

Next 5 are all on the road.

Edited by HtownHorn