2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So if Dinwiddie didn't get hurt they'd be a better team than they were with Kyrie and Harden getting hurt? That's a little revisionist. Of course they'd have been better with healthy players rather than injured ones. I think there's about a zero percent chance they don't make the Finals if Kyrie's ankle isn't fucked. Forget Harden. 

My point was that multiple other teams got affected by that injury that has gone sort of unspoken about. Like the sixers might have had more leverage to end up with harden. And Blake Griffin could have ended up in Miami. I know these hypotheticals are pointless but that injury to a second or third tier player really rippled throughout the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

The fault is not having the depth that they had a lot of prior to the trade.

Yeah I know. Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe try and pretend they don't lose 2 of their best 3 players in one playoff series. Like I said, your argument is basically that they should have expected that to happen. Which is ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't disagree with that part - the part saying they would have been a better team had he not got hurt and they didn't trade for Harden is silly because both Kyrie and Harden were hurt in the playoffs. The best version of this Nets team was with all 3 of their big 3 healthy. 

Plus - there's no guarantee Allen or Levert stay healthy. Maybe Levert tears his ACL against Boston. 

Trying to to evaluate the Harden trade is difficult unless you want to fault Marks for not predicting that Harden would go out a minute into game 1 and then Kyrie would go down a couple games later. 

BTW, I think I was on record as saying I didn't like the harden trade for the nets when it happened so I'm not being entirely revisionist here.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I know. Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe try and pretend they don't lose 2 of their best 3 players in one playoff series. Like I said, your argument is basically that they should have expected that to happen. Which is ridiculous. 

Not at all.    Having depth is just proactivity.   Not expecting injuries to happen but being in the best position when they do.

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, Llogg said:

BTW, I think I was on record as saying I didn't like the harden trade for the nets when it happened so I'm not being entirely revisionist here.

That's fine. I just think it's tough to actually evaluate that trade considering what happened. 

On 6/20/2021 at 5:21 PM, aggie08 said:

Are we still sure about this?

Through 11 playoff games, Devin is averaging 29/7.4/5.4 on 49/38/92 shooting.

I don't think CP3 has ever had a prolonged postseason stretch that has challenged that.

Yep.

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/48   OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1 Devin Booker 2020-21 24 11 443 20.2 .616 .304 .353 2.2 16.9 10.2 21.9 0.8 0.2 13.1 30.9   0.8 0.7 1.5 .164   3.0 -0.3 2.7 0.5
2 Chris Paul 2020-21 35 10 312 22.3 .599 .155 .293 1.6 12.2 7.4 41.8 1.9 0.6 9.7 21.4   1.1 0.6 1.6 .249   4.2 1.6 5.7 0.6

Booker's been extremely good though.....

8F9E93FE-21A6-4FCE-830F-B6936D68AFB1.png

99% of sports fans don't know shit about fuck, but i've found basketball fans to be the absolute pinnacle of fan ignorance and stupidity. and hoopers themselves, including/often especially professional basketball players have the most indefensibly terrible takes on their sport, its players, and its history. Sucks, but it's true.

Allen Iverson is on my short list of childhood heroes; anyone who ever talks down on him as a player is dead to me. but this is fucking stupid. it's Steph by a mile. i thought it was bad enough that SC decided that this hypothetical matchup was worth posting about, but then to have so many people (including Jordan Schultz, who is bff with CJ McCollum and therefore has street cred despite having some truly terrible takes) all nod in agreement that AI would "cook" Steph Curry makes irrationally ragey.

Edited by shadow_operative