2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

3 hours ago, d2o said:

This all driven by TV contracts and the owners.   I cant imagine any players pushing for it but I'm sure it was a part of their agreement with ownership.    It is what it is

Only player I know who wanted it was CP3. Justified it by donating $2M to HBCU. All that money and that's what they came up with.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Only player I know who wanted it was CP3. Justified it by donating $2M to HBCU. All that money and that's what they came up with.

Yeah he was part of the bargaining team so he had some skin in the game.    It sucks that 2M is all they came up with.    They also got at least 2 HBCU games broadcast on NBATV for some additional exposure.

54 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

That is such an old and tired joke, but damn if I don't giggle every single time. For some reason it is the perfect crystallization of sucking and not even fun.

Yes. I was thinking "fuck if this isn't old and overdone but damn it gets me every time"

On 2/26/2021 at 4:22 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Absolutely no point to have one this year. Do like the NFL did and have some interactive gaming session or something. Otherwise, let the players get some rest and chill. Without the fans and all the experience of All Star Weekend, it is pointless. All Star Weekend was way more than just the game.

Plus LeBron said no

All I know is we all watched the best NBA play of the year so far with Giannis block on Zubac. I don't even like Giannis, but dang, dog. You ain't gotta do him like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIewocnfHNg

https://thespun.com/nba/milwaukee-bucks/giannis-antetokounmpo-nasty-block-ivica-zubac

Edited by DonkeyCigars

I know I'm a page behind here but I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the ascension of Kobe to sainthood over the past few years pretty gross. The guy is not a very good person. Surely we can do better for the logo. I'd be fine with LeBron or something. But politics do come into play with LeBron and I do see how Kobe has bipartisan appeal being both a person of color and a sexual predator.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I know I'm a page behind here but I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the ascension of Kobe to sainthood over the past few years pretty gross. The guy is not a very good person. Surely we can do better for the logo. I'd be fine with LeBron or something. But politics do come into play with LeBron and I do see how Kobe has bipartisan appeal being both a person of color and a sexual predator.

Did I miss a smoking gun? I remember reading the sexual assault was very much alleged only and nothing came of it/she refused to testify, ostensibly because she lied or would have perjured?

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Did I miss a smoking gun? I remember reading the sexual assault was very much alleged only and nothing came of it/she refused to testify, ostensibly because she lied or would have perjured?

The common theory is that she didn't testify because she lied or was worried about perjury. What this post presupposes is that many sexual abuse victims do not want to testify for a number of reasons (not wanting to relive experience, worried about disbelief), and that the large amount of publicity around the trial, compounded with the fame and power imbalance between her and Kobe, would only have made these reasons stronger.

Oh, and Kobe also freaking released a press release saying "Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did."

I think your recollection is a bit spotty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

What Serak said. He paid her off. But I dont really want to spend a bunch of time rehashing this and dragging a dead guy. I was just commenting on the logo thing.

Yeah the Kobe logo thing would force folks to rehash that and no one seems ready to have that conversation.     

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yeah as stated this is not the only reason a person accusing another of rape (let alone a rich and powerful person) would refuse to testify.   That is a whole other completely unrelated to basketball conversation

Kobe was a great basketball player(maybe not the best teammate though) and a great father.  And that should be the end of it. His whitewashing into this great Humanitarian/Statesman misplaced idolatry.

If it has to be changed(not even sure why), it has to be Russell. Then Bron Bron can have it in 50 years.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Kobe was a great basketball player(maybe not the best teammate though) and a great father.  And that should be the end of it. His whitewashing into this great Humanitarian/Statesman misplaced idolatry.

If it has to be changed(not even sure why), it has to be Russell. Then Bron Bron can have it in 50 years.

This is common when people die. They morph into a exaggerated romanticized version of who they really were. Great player? Absolutely. Great person? Don't know. Deserving to be the logo? Fuck no. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Why does anyone think Bird could beat Steph? I suppose conjecture must be playing a role because statistically, Bird is not even close. 

I need the following answered- are we talking about kidnapping Bird from 1986 in a time machine and bringing him to a shoot out now?  Because if that’s the case Bird would get his AAS kicked. 
or, are we traveling back in time and telling him about the importance of the 3 point shot and training him from a child?  Because my bet is that Bird wouldn’t take a backseat to Steph in any way, as a shooter. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Why does anyone think Bird could beat Steph? I suppose conjecture must be playing a role because statistically, Bird is not even close. 

lol, are you serious? Bird would easily be my favorite to win an all-time 3-point contest. he's the most "fuck you, watch this" shooter ever. Bird would walk up to Steph and tell him exactly how many he was going to win by and then go and do it. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Somebody already said it, but it's because Steph's wallet is not the one that says Bad Motherfucker on it.