2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

44 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Less than a week into the season and teams are already resting their star players.

It would be extremely controversial, but the NBA may need to rethink how they accumulate stats. Let these guys play a quarter or a half to give the fans something without torpedoing their season stat line.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It would be extremely controversial, but the NBA may need to rethink how they accumulate stats. Let these guys play a quarter or a half to give the fans something without torpedoing their season stat line.

Lol what? Teams don't rest players to protect their season averages. 

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Players would be a lot more open to making the occasional brief courtesy appearance if their stats weren't dramatically diminished.

Minutes restrictions are a thing. You're talking about throwing KD out there for 6 mins in the 4th quarter when they are trying to monitor his work load coming off of 18 months of rehab? That kind of defeats the purpose of resting him. It isn't a simple linear equation.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Players would be a lot more open to making the occasional brief courtesy appearance if their stats weren't dramatically diminished.

It’s also why guys either don’t shoot at all or wait until the buzzer has sounded to chunk up the 3/4 court heave at the end of a quarter.  It doesn’t count against their 3 pt. %.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Minutes restrictions are a thing. You're talking about throwing KD out there for 6 mins in the 4th quarter when they are trying to monitor his work load coming off of 18 months of rehab? That kind of defeats the purpose of resting him. It isn't a simple linear equation.

I'm thinking more "it's the only time KD will play in San Antonio all season, but it's the middle of a long road trip, so let's play him 14 minutes in the first half, then let him rest." I assume stars would still rather sit out altogether--even if stats weren't an issue--but it should be a discussion. Not as big of a deal this year with a short off-season and not enough ticket paying fans to express displeasure.

I'm thinking more "it's the only time KD will play in San Antonio all season, but it's the middle of a long road trip, so let's play him 14 minutes in the first half, then let him rest." I assume stars would still rather sit out altogether--even if stats weren't an issue--but it should be a discussion. Not as big of a deal this year with a short off-season and not enough ticket paying fans to express displeasure.

I think you're overthinking this.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

ESPN saying sprained ankle. He acted like it was a lot worse than that.

i have an unfortunately long injury history, and i can tell you that an ankle sprain can be painful as shit. it might not be the most severe injury, my you bet your ass it can be an extremely painful one. 

edit: wasn't it Shaun Rogers who rolled his ankle during a football game, and he was screaming, and wailing, and it was like the first game of the year, and everyone was freaking out thinking that his season was over, only it turned out to just be a sprained ankle and he ended being fine relatively quickly. iirc his teammates kept giving him shit about it all year, but hey- a sprained ankle can hurt like a mug. 

Edited by shadow_operative

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i have an unfortunately long injury history, and i can tell you that an ankle sprain can be painful as shit. it might not be the most severe injury, my you bet your ass it can be an extremely painful one. 

edit: wasn't it Shaun Rogers who rolled his ankle during a football game, and he was screaming, and wailing, and it was like the first game of the year, and everyone was freaking out thinking that his season was over, only it turned out to just be a sprained ankle and he ended being fine relatively quickly. iirc his teammates kept giving him shit about it all year, but hey- a sprained ankle can hurt like a mug. 

This.  If you played basketball for any length of time you have sprained ankles.  I had one where I thought I broke my leg and I was back in a week or two, and one that I kind of shrugged off as no big deal that ended up being a month.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

7-40 on the season. So he's 7-9 on dunks? Seems off. I don't think their offense is good enough right now to get that dude 9 dunk attempts though 3 games. Maybe they mean layup attempts.

I don't know when the post was made. Bref says he has 6 dunks on the season. So he's 1/34 on non-dunks 😅

7-40 on the season. So he's 7-9 on dunks? Seems off. I don't think their offense is good enough right now to get that dude 9 dunk attempts though 3 games. Maybe they mean layup attempts.

I was 3-6 on in-game dunks in my basketball career, so it’s not out of the question.  I drew a foul on 1 of those, FYI.  He is probably better at it than I was, but you never know.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was 3-6 on in-game dunks in my basketball career, so it’s not out of the question.  I drew a foul on 1 of those, FYI.  He is probably better at it than I was, but you never know.

You could have probably done better on the other 30ish shots.

• Hook 'Em 1

When is the last time Randle got a triple double? 2 years ago? Lmao. Parlays are usually a loser's bet over time. A buddy of mine got into gambling a few years ago an this is all he does is parlays. I tell him you might hit one but how many did you lose before you do? The last parlay I ever bet (and won) was in the 2017 first round NBA playoffs. It was a Sunday and I picked all the home teams to win. and they did.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Parlays are usually a loser's bet over time.

All gambling is a losing bet over time. Parlays can be more so because there is statistically less guarantee of hitting long odds even with a lot of bets made as opposed to hitting something that's 50/50. 

I mean say you make 50 $10 bets at +5000 odds. There's a good chance you don't win any of those - because none of those things are ever guaranteed to happen. It isn't like a virtual roulette spin where odds are concrete. You're just going off of what Vegas is comfortable paying you if it does happen. But if you make 50 $10 bets at +/-100 you're probably going to hit on at least 20 or so of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, d2o said:

People love to hate on him but man, he has been in the league since he was 18 or 19 and still going strong. The amount of games he has played is fucking crazy. Went to 8 Finals in a row. He went to every Finals in between the first and last year of last decade. And still playing at this level. I get he has first class training and the money to stay in the shape he does but still amazing on what his career has been. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

People love to hate on him but man, he has been in the league since he was 18 or 19 and still going strong. The amount of games he has played is fucking crazy. Went to 8 Finals in a row. He went to every Finals in between the first and last year of last decade. And still playing at this level. I get he has first class training and the money to stay in the shape he does but still amazing on what his career has been. 

260 playoff games is just crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Can also make the argument that the league was more physical back then and medicine/athletics training was less advanced. So not quite like-for-like comparisons.

a lot of people will get upset at this argument, but we are definitely watching an era of basketball that is eons more advanced in terms of both the physicality of the league (see: promoting more basketball and less WWF style of play) and in terms of how well players are able to take care of themselves now. i mean back in the 80's and early 90's you literally had smokers playing the league, lol. like not just a square every now and then when they're drinking, but like pack-a-day smokers playing in the league. it's crazy how far we've come in what feels like a relatively short amount of time.  

Edited by shadow_operative

It may have been Theus on NBA radio or some other old school guy. But he was talking about how after a game, lots of the guys would go out and get back to the hotel just in time to catch the airport shuttle. Then they would play that evening. Also, they didn't have curfews.

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

a lot of people will get upset at this argument, but we are definitely watching an era of basketball that is eons more advanced in terms of both the physicality of the league (see: promoting more basketball and less WWF style of play) and in terms of how well players are able to take care of themselves now. i mean back in the 80's and early 90's you literally had smokers playing the league, lol. like not just a square every now and then when they're drinking, but like pack-a-day smokers playing in the league. it's crazy how far we've come in what feels like a relatively short amount of time.  

Vlade’s retirement ended the smoking era.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Can also make the argument that the league was more physical back then and medicine/athletics training was less advanced. So not quite like-for-like comparisons.

Yes and no.   There are absolutely more advances to help with longevity.   However, its not like everyone is putting together a streak like that.    Hell most of the guys from the 2003 draft have been retired for a few yrs and LBJ is not only still playing but consistently in the "best player in the league" conversation.    I think Kyle Korver and Melo are the only ones that are still active.   That aint just medicine and training.