2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

If you don't have LeBron and AD both back healthy for the playoffs you're cooked. Nets need KD back, though. Maybe. 

Are the Lakers going to make the playoffs? AD and LBJ are out 4-6 weeks, right? 

I couldn't imagine them dropping completely out of the playoffs, but there's a very good chance they'll be in one of the play-in games. It's really going to suck for Utah that they spend the entire year fighting to get the #1 seed and their reward is the Lakers in the first round.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

no way they do it without KD. 

I wouldn't bet on it but they'd still have two top ten offensive players in the league plus a premier shooter in Harris. Defense is suspect but they would still have the potential to just outscore anybody. And I say this as the guy who doubted harden would get back to his old self this season. He did and I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

I wouldn't bet on it but they'd still have two top ten offensive players in the league plus a premier shooter in Harris. Defense is suspect but they would still have the potential to just outscore anybody. And I say this as the guy who doubted harden would get back to his old self this season. He did and I was wrong.

yeah but until Harden does it in the playoffs, i ain't buying it. Kyrie as your no.1 with Playoff Harden as your no.2? no way i'm betting on that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

When’s the last time a 4-8 seed made the conference championship series?  There probably should only be 4 teams per conference in the playoffs.

The Heat were a 5 LAST YEAR!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

So the Celtics bring in Evan Fournier and in his first game he goes 0/10 for 0 points. 

It's amazing how quickly Ainge has turned that team into a bit of a trainwreck. Two years ago they had Kyrie, Jaylen Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Al Horford and Terry Rozier on the team. Plus Marcus Morris and Marcus Smart. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

So the Celtics bring in Evan Fournier and in his first game he goes 0/10 for 0 points. 

It's amazing how quickly Ainge has turned that team into a bit of a trainwreck. Two years ago they had Kyrie, Jaylen Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Al Horford and Terry Rozier on the team. Plus Marcus Morris and Marcus Smart. 

He played 33 mins too.    I'm sure its happened before but going 0fer in 30mins+ is pretty terrible.    So glad Frenchie is gone from here.   Just wish the braintrust got more from him.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Reggie Theus was going off on Brown yesterday afternoon for missing the game because of a bruise. I do wonder how much longer Stevens puts up with it.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I don’t like Westbrook but I kinda do now. That was a fantastic answer and he just shoved Stephen A. Uncle Tom Smith’s face in it with a iron fist in a velvet glove. Masterful.

I've never had a problem with Westbrook. In fact, I think he's one of the better guys in the NBA. I just think he doesn't play winning basketball and never will. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've never had a problem with Westbrook. In fact, I think he's one of the better guys in the NBA. I just think he doesn't play winning basketball and never will. 
I don't get the hate on him. He's not going to lead any team to a title but he's damn good and entertaining to watch.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I don't get the hate on him. He's not going to lead any team to a title but he's damn good and entertaining to watch.

I never thought he was that entertaining to watch. I respect how dang good he used to be, as you said, but his game wasn't elegant or beautiful in the way, say Kobe's or Kyrie's can be. It was brute force athleticism and hard-nose drives. He was fearless, for sure.

11 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I never thought he was that entertaining to watch. I respect how dang good he used to be, as you said, but his game wasn't elegant or beautiful in the way, say Kobe's or Kyrie's can be. It was brute force athleticism and hard-nose drives. He was fearless, for sure.

I think there absolutely beauty in the force of will he plays with.   His coming into the lane with a "fuck you I'm dunking and there is nothing you can do about it" attitude.    Especially when you factor in that he is not really that big

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

I think there absolutely beauty in the force of will he plays with.   His coming into the lane with a "fuck you I'm dunking and there is nothing you can do about it" attitude.    Especially when you factor in that he is not really that big

I disagree but hey, its all opinion. It’s a subjective art, I guess, and folks will find beauty and appreciation in all manner of style. It’s why fans vary, and vary passionately, on who and what and why the enjoy different things.

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
15 hours ago, ztejas said:

For me the hate comes from him actively sabatoging the title chances of my two favorite teams (rockets and whoever KD plays for) for the majority of his career. 
in a vacuum I can appreciate all the stuff d2o said about him, bc that’s all true. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

For me the hate comes from him actively sabatoging the title chances of my two favorite teams (rockets and whoever KD plays for) for the majority of his career. 
in a vacuum I can appreciate all the stuff d2o said about him, bc that’s all true. 

This is probably correct for the majority.  He puts his own ego in front of the team's needs.  FTR, I don't think this is a conscious decision or at least it wasn't beyond his first few "prove it" years, but there's no doubt he's a really interesting watch.  Whether he's attacking the rim like few in history or starting the break with a rebound in a whirling dervish or bricking perimeter shot after shot, it's a compelling watch.  He could be the 3/4 on a championship team right now but his contract makes it impossible.  Maybe he'll be more appreciated when he starts ring hunt, but he'll be 35 at that point and role player.

35 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is probably correct for the majority.  He puts his own ego in front of the team's needs.  FTR, I don't think this is a conscious decision or at least it wasn't beyond his first few "prove it" years, but there's no doubt he's a really interesting watch.  Whether he's attacking the rim like few in history or starting the break with a rebound in a whirling dervish or bricking perimeter shot after shot, it's a compelling watch.  He could be the 3/4 on a championship team right now but his contract makes it impossible.  Maybe he'll be more appreciated when he starts ring hunt, but he'll be 35 at that point and role player.

He’s a really low IQ basketball player. I can’t imagine any title contending team wanting to have anything to do with a 35 year old Russ. 

I dislike Westbrook's game quite a bit, but I'll always respect his motor.  I wish I could transplant that motor into some other talented players that are wasting away their potential.  Westbrook just never learned to harness his motor/talent in more efficient ways, but some talented players can't even be bothered to go that far.  And I agree with the poster above about Westbrook as a person.  He seems way more well adjusted in life than some other clear examples we all can guess.

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I understand the price of doing business, but 40m AAV for Holiday....... just no.  He's not worth that, but it's interesting how artificial salary ceilings and max contracts really just squeeze the middle class.  Jrue is a very good player and he should get very good player money, but damn.  I don't hate he's getting 40m as much as I hate that a true max player can't get more than that in similar circumstances.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I understand the price of doing business, but 40m AAV for Holiday....... just no.  He's not worth that, but it's interesting how artificial salary ceilings and max contracts really just squeeze the middle class.  Jrue is a very good player and he should get very good player money, but damn.  I don't hate he's getting 40m as much as I hate that a true max player can't get more than that in similar circumstances.

Bingo!  This is all a product of creating max salaries to keep superstars from making "too much"

I was pondering how I would spend money in a non max salary league the other day and I decided that I’d literally probably give up to 75% of my cap space to a Harden, Lebron, Giannis type, 15 or so percent to a sidekick for him (that’d be like 25 million) and then nothing but minimum salary guys. 
If I couldn’t get a top 3 or 5 player that’s indestructible I’d try to get 5 fringe all stars at like 19% of my cap each and then all minimum salary guys. 
At no point would I spend any money on my bench. I don’t know if the max salary squeezes middle class quite as much as you might think. 
I’d also buy second round picks every single year.