Christmas Party at Nakatomi Plaza Tomorrow

bschoolprof

• 6 months later...

A damn good thread to read today, the 35th anniversary of the movie's release. Also, if you haven't seen it already, Netflix has a great documentary called The Movies That Made Us which has a good episode about the making of Die Hard. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

At the time, they released it as a summer blockbuster.  

They had no idea they'd created the greatest Christmas movie of all time.

This.  They needed a plot device to have all the executives there after hours with barebones staff and security at night.  Coulda been a ribbon cutting to open the plaza but that means press. It could have just been an anniversary party or promotion party for Takagi or Holly or even the cokehead dude.  

They actually did a risk, Hanks & Co., that the FBI/electric company wouldn't cut the power on Christmas Eve for fear of panic/riots/political blowback to Mayor, et. al.  But ultimately they chose Christmas Party as the plot device for one simple reason other than Hans getting to tell Theo, "It's the Christmas season.  It's the time of miracles.  Now be of good cheer and call me when you've opened the last key." ::::::::

"Ho, Ho, Ho.  Now I have a machine gun." The sweatshirt and santa hat don't make no sense otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

We laugh, but you know that detail still bugs the shit out of Texans.  "Look, I'm willing to accept him jumping down a 30 story HVAC shaft, and saving himself at the last minute by wedging the weapon at the exact angle at the exact instant he needed to save himself from certain death...but I'll be goddamned if a decorated LEO is gonna mistakenly call that thing a 'machine gun', when clearly the trigger hold is disparate."

I've always believed it's because John assumes his Euro-trash enemy is poorly educated in the proper terminology but he wants them to understand that he does indeed now have a fully automatic rifle weapon which he is about to use to kill all of their asses.

Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

We ever get a final on that ND/USC game? 

ahh yes... the one absolutely completely unbelievable part about the whole movie-  thats right haters, its the ONLY unbelievable part.

USC/ ND playing past the first week of Dec, let alone Christmas eve.   When it was released, It had been 7.5 years since they had even played in Dec.

of course now with the playoff, I guess its technically possible.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

12 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

What if both teams had a shitty season and got rematched in the Poulan Weedeater Two Pesos Pepto-Bismol Bowl?   That would explain why they were playing in December.

In 1988 the weedeater bowl was on 12/23 and the Sun Bowl was on 12/24.

In 1987 the weedeater bowl was on 12/19 and the All American bowl was on 12/22.  No other bowl games until Christmas day.

• Haha 1

In 1988 the weedeater bowl was on 12/23 and the Sun Bowl was on 12/24.
In 1987 the weedeater bowl was on 12/19 and the All American bowl was on 12/22.  No other bowl games until Christmas day.

John McClane wasn’t really a police officer. A man by the name of Bruce Willis pretended to be a police officer for a fictional moving picture show.

You see John McTiernan, a man employed to lead a group of camera, light, and sound technicians, asked Willis to pretend to be a police officer for the film and Willis agreed. But not until after Willis could confirm with McTiernan that he knew Willis was not really a police officer.
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

So we see that John arrives in "magic hour" before sunset in Los Angeles to meet Argyle, at that time of year (12/24).  So let's call that 5:00p-PST given it's on the far edge of its timezone.  We know it's a 7.0 hour flight from New York.  Meaning he leaves one of 3 NYC's airports, with the 3 hour time change (gate-to-gate, not wheelsup-wheelsdown).  So his local flight departure time is 1:00p-EST/12:00p-CST.  In a few hours time, John will receive the worst advice of his life.  He will be told to arrive at his final destination and remove his shoes.  As he is enjoying lunch on the flight with a drink, another group of the Asian Dawn JV are assembling in their motor pool and checking weapons and ammo.  Theo is packing up the hacking hardware.  And the game...is on.

Edited by YGIFS

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So we see that John arrives in "magic hour" before sunset in Los Angeles to meet Argyle, at that time of year (12/24).  So let's call that 5:00p-PST given it's on the far edge of its timezone.  We know it's a 7.0 hour flight from New York.  Meaning he leaves one of 3 NYC's airports, with the 3 hour time change (gate-to-gate, not wheelsup-wheelsdown).  So his local flight departure time is 1:00p-EST/12:00p-CST.  In a few hours time, John will receive the worst advice of his life.  He will be told to arrive at his final destination and remove his shoes.  

John could have checked Marco's shoes before he welcomed Al to the party.  Or Heinrich, when he took his detonators.  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, Jive Turkey said:

in a movie that asks you to suspend all possible belief, those are the two things that bug me because they're not realistic. 

yeah, the entire movie is unrealistic, but come on, don't say your company Christmas party is on Christmas Eve.  nobody does that.  and USC ain't playing Notre Dame on Christmas Eve.  they play every year during the regular season in either October or November.  pick a different game to show.

they're continuity errors that should have been corrected.

Even if these unrealistic things annoy you, they are not continuity errors. Continuity errors are problems with internal logic, discontinuities within the fiction. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, YGIFS said:

Kinda weirding me out to think about how this all changed from the time I was in grade school to kids of my own in grade school.  That's a complete, tectonic, cultural shift in our biggest holiday in just a three decades.  that's pretty weird to see unfold when you look back on it.  Next time somebody you love bitches about the War on Christmas, remind them "Christmas Season" didn't start when we were kids until a few days before the Solstice.

Good point and funny because the entire Christmas holiday with the presents and the tree and the food is really an invention of Victorian England and Charles Dickens. Before that the bigger celebrations were the twelve days *after* Christmas, including the New Year's exchange of gifts, in anticipation of the feast of the epiphany. 

I'm always so confused by the twelve-day Advent calendars that people start before Christmas. They just don't know. 

Of course if you make it through twelfth night to king's day, you get the start of my personal favorite holiday season, mardi gras. 

See y'all in New Orleans on the 1st. 

• Hook 'Em 1