? for world travelers or people overseas....

BNB

I don't travel overseas much, but this question just hit me again.

We were walking a mile or so to a waterfall...

I asked my cousin when we were on vacation in the US:  Since Europeans (and I don't know what other countries) drive on the other side of the road,  do they walk on the other side of the sidewalk in other countries.  She couldn't really give me an answer.  I thought it might be hard to google.

You enter an area, that has just opened, do people start walking on the left of the sidewalk, or the right?  How does that work.

Thanks.

In London, I noticed keep left signs in the tube stations. Some walked on the left, some on the right. The down escalators (lifts) were always on the left. Up on the right (their left). Street level, I didn't notice but I stayed on the left side of the sidewalk. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Dont forget cayman islands...when you go to visit your money.  First time driving on the left was in Ireland and it was nice learning there so I didnt kill myself when I did it in real traffic in Australia. You think shifting would be a problem but it felt fine to me. Walkers though - they are as bad as here.  Regular downtown Manchester - no prob.  Go to the fucking Louvre and its fucking 'Nam, they are all over the place. 

Edited by beer
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, beer said:

Dont forget cayman islands...when you go to visit your money.  First time driving on the left was in Ireland and it was nice learning there so I didnt kill myself when I did it in real traffic in Australia. You think shifting would be a problem but it felt fine to me. Walkers though - they are as bad as here.  Regular downtown Manchester - no prob.  Go to the fucking Louvre and its fucking 'Nam, they are all over the place. 

downtown manchester is incredibly walkable.  the widest road they have is 4 lanes across and there are a bunch of former roads now off-limit to cars.

the louvre on the other hand is in france.  where they drive on the right side of the road. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BNB said:

I don't travel overseas much, but this question just hit me again.

We were walking a mile or so to a waterfall...

I asked my cousin when we were on vacation in the US:  Since Europeans (and I don't know what other countries) drive on the other side of the road,  do they walk on the other side of the sidewalk in other countries.  She couldn't really give me an answer.  I thought it might be hard to google.

You enter an area, that has just opened, do people start walking on the left of the sidewalk, or the right?  How does that work.

Thanks.

As an American, walk down whichever side you damn well please.  

because_merica_thats_why_us_flag_america

And also

Surly-Brewing-Co-merica-facebook.jpg

Edited by davidg

Gracias.

I met many foreign people in my recent US travels, and they seemed to follow suit with the US ways of walking.  Just a question that has been bugging me.

Thanks

Edited by BNB

How about this one.   You are engaged in deep dicking and the woman is getting ready to orgasm.  My ex-wife would almost always start to moan "Oh God, oh god" right before yelping.  My very limited experience tells me that this vocal phrasing is not uncommon.  Does someone who is not an English speaker also commonly yell, moan, etc., "Oh god" but in the language of their upbringing?  

40 minutes ago, Whitman said:

How about this one.   You are engaged in deep dicking and the woman is getting ready to orgasm.  My ex-wife would almost always start to moan "Oh God, oh god" right before yelping.  My very limited experience tells me that this vocal phrasing is not uncommon.  Does someone who is not an English speaker also commonly yell, moan, etc., "Oh god" but in the language of their upbringing?  

and what if she's a mute?

Was talking to a Brit a few years ago who seemed proud of the fact that worldwide, more people drive on the left than the right. He said it was 55-45. Don't know if that's true or not. Lots of people in China and India, though.

Edited by Bat Guano

Most of Europe is drive on the right, walk on the right. UK may be theoretically walk on the left. My few visits to London, what I saw walking was complete chaos. Doesn't help that in London you can't tell if that big shaved-head fucker is English, or Polish, or what. He's just coming straight at you. Will he break left or right?

Phun Phact: when there were maybe 12 cars in Italy, they drove on the left there. They started with right-hand-side steering wheels and kept them for a couple decades after they went to driving on the right. (probably always drove smack in the middle, ciao bella.)