Learn me on adopting a dog

Orale

I've been wanting to adopt a dog for a while. I haven't had a dog since I was a kid so I don't remember all that's involved in caring for one. I'd be adopting it from the local humane society. Aside from dog food and the usual medical care provided by the humane society, is there anything else it needs? I'd get a bed and some doggie toys for him/her. Anything else?

Getting an adult dog or puppy is a key decision. Puppies are cute and everyone loves them but they need a lot of care, time and training.  Something to be said about getting an adult (or even a senior) dog that is more relaxed. 

I realize most want a puppy but it never hurts to consider this option. Foster groups usually have adult dogs and they can give you the lowdown on the dog's demeanor and habits. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

If you get an adult dog, do your homework on any issues it has before making your choice, and find a breed that suits your lifestyle.

If you get a puppy, socialize the hell out of it from day one. Put it in every possible situation you can think of. It's probably a bit more difficult with COVID, but have it interact with as many different people and dogs as you can. 

And if you aren't an experienced dog owner, stay away from herding and working breeds. They can be a lot of effort and may just be smarter than you.

Edited by Deej

Why don't you foster a dog for a bit and see if you really want to have a dog. Going full on adoption first instead of rovering for a few people and discovering you actually don't want a dog is way better.

Also not to change the topic on the thread, but adopting from the humane society doesn't make you better or worse than just finding a dog from a reputable breeder or breed rescue program if there aren't any breeds or mixes that fit what your lifestyle is.

puppy vs adult - can't teach an old dog many new tricks, a puppy you can teach how to be YOUR dog, but takes a lot of time training effort etc.

What is your primary reason for getting a dog other than "me want dog"? That will actually help quite a bit in answering your questions.

• Hook 'Em 1

The two dogs I have adopted were pretty much put at my feet, "here he is, take her,.pleae and take care of them". First one I had was red heeler, wolf mix. Had him for 16 years. The one I have now is blue heeler, corgi, fox, and a bunch of others.  In each case I adapted, their only adaption was not to pee and shit in the house. Together we learn to trust each other. I would say 85% of it is smooth sailing,  the other 15% is "oh, you motherfucker!" 

I don't think you can go wrong as long as you know that a part of your life will change and change for the better, just get through the growing pains. Training them was easy, me adjusting took some time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Things to have before adopting: bed, bowls, food, treats, leash, poop bags, a vet picked out, toys. Also decide if it will be crated or not, if so a crate. 

You’ll probably want to look at your house with dog proofing in mind especially if you get a bigger breed or puppy. There are lots of everyday items that can make a dog sick or kill them (chocolate and grapes as an example) it’s good to find a list and make sure you don’t have anything poisonous out. 

There are sites with quizzes to help narrow down a breed if you have no idea what you want they’d give you a starting place. 

It’ll take some time for everyone to adjust, 6 months ago we adopted a 2 y/o GSD that had bounced around houses and probably been abused a little. The first few weeks he was super touchy about his space and would snap, we think someone choked him because he wouldn’t let you mess with his collar. He has slowly settled in and a lot of his fear is going away.

All of that to say if you really want a dog don’t give up if the first few weeks/months are bumpy. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Fuck the vetting process. Probably easier to get a black market kidney. Some of these people think they are anointed Saints. 

Adopting a human child is easier than the process we went through to get our current dog. We love him, but the process to get him was insanity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Why don't you foster a dog for a bit and see if you really want to have a dog. Going full on adoption first instead of rovering for a few people and discovering you actually don't want a dog is way better.

Also not to change the topic on the thread, but adopting from the humane society doesn't make you better or worse than just finding a dog from a reputable breeder or breed rescue program if there aren't any breeds or mixes that fit what your lifestyle is.

puppy vs adult - can't teach an old dog many new tricks, a puppy you can teach how to be YOUR dog, but takes a lot of time training effort etc.

What is your primary reason for getting a dog other than "me want dog"? That will actually help quite a bit in answering your questions.

Good idea on the fostering first. I'll look into that. 

I’ve heard some surprising stories from people that adopted from a rescue group. Interview and house inspection. I had adopted from a rescue group in 2007 and there was zero checks. As I adopted from a Saturday afternoon park gathering, they had zero idea who I was. I recently looked into the same exact same rescue group and like I had heard, they had an online application and mentioned a pre adoption home visit.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve heard some surprising stories from people that adopted from a rescue group. Interview and house inspection. I had adopted from a rescue group in 2007 and there was zero checks. As I adopted from a Saturday afternoon park gathering, they had zero idea who I was. I recently looked into the same exact same rescue group and like I had heard, they had an online application and mentioned a pre adoption home visit.

To adopt our dog, we:

-Met him and his foster family at a park.

-Submitted an application complete with veterinary and character references. They actually checked these references.

-Had a home inspection to make sure our home was up to par.

-Had a home visit from our now dog and his foster family.

-Had a visit and an interview with our dog sitter after my wife mentioned off hand how much our previous dog loved our dog sitter.

-Paid $300 adoption fee.

-Signed an agreement that has all sorts of silly things in it.

In exchange, we got our dog that we love very much, but the rescue lied about pretty much aspect of the dog. He sheds like a shedding machine - they said no/light shedding. They said he was 4 years old - vet said maybe 18 months tops - he grew after we got him. They said great with other dogs - he resource guards from being raised in a pound and we have to work with him on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

To adopt our dog, we:

-Met him and his foster family at a park.

-Submitted an application complete with veterinary and character references. They actually checked these references.

-Had a home inspection to make sure our home was up to par.

-Had a home visit from our now dog and his foster family.

-Had a visit and an interview with our dog sitter after my wife mentioned off hand how much our previous dog loved our dog sitter.

-Paid $300 adoption fee.

-Signed an agreement that has all sorts of silly things in it.

In exchange, we got our dog that we love very much, but the rescue lied about pretty much aspect of the dog. He sheds like a shedding machine - they said no/light shedding. They said he was 4 years old - vet said maybe 18 months tops - he grew after we got him. They said great with other dogs - he resource guards from being raised in a pound and we have to work with him on that.

We just drove out to Commerce and bought a puppy for $300.  If they really want people to adopt these animals, they need to reevaluate their methods.

Since you mention not having one since you were a kid, just know that dogs can be expensive as shit. Whether you buy one of adopt one from a shelter for "free" just know the yearly costs start at 1K minimum and go up from there.  That's not counting any medical issues.. eating of furniture, carpet, staircases, AirPods (dogs prefer the Pros fyi), TV remotes (one of my dog is on her 6th in a year ... damn her but she loves a damn tv remote no matter where we "hide" it), etc.

One HUGE recommendation is to find a good doggie daycare to take it to early on to socialize with other dogs and people if you can't get to a dog park every couple weeks and can afford it. 

• Like 1

if you can't get to a dog park every couple weeks

Talking to a vet, he said the consensus is dog parks just reinforce bad habits since it’s a foreign environment and an ever changing roster of opponents with dubious socialization. Places like the Yard Bar are a boon for dog shrinks due to how many bad habits they create.

A better method is for your dog to meet other dogs just off home turf but within eyesight of the home safety zone. You need to socialize with the other dog to show you don’t need protection. Let them get comfortable and then bring them both into your dog’s home environment for socialization.
  • Hook 'Em 1

You need lots of patience. It's rough on a dog moving in with new people, the dog's gotta shit and piss, he doesn't have thumbs to open the door, and he may not know how to tell you yet. Give the poor little guy a break if he loses it the first 2 or 300 times, he wants to be good.

Routines are golden.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 9:32 PM, RDCanecutter said:

You need lots of patience. It's rough on a dog moving in with new people, the dog's gotta shit and piss, he doesn't have thumbs to open the door, and he may not know how to tell you yet. Give the poor little guy a break if he loses it the first 2 or 300 times, he wants to be good.

Routines are golden.

Yup.  It's gonna take a year, minimum, to get them on a pretty regular piss and shit schedule.  And you better stay on it too.  We're closing in on one year with Dog 2 next weekend, and we've got him pretty well there, but if we leave him access to certain parts of the house (basement), he can sneak off and shit without us realizing it.

Another thing to remember is that even if you get a puppy, 1 or 2 bad experiences in his previous existence can mess him up.  We got Dog 2 at 6 weeks old, and he can still be extremely skittish, even with us, when all he's known in our house is love, treats, and being spoiled.  We know he was born on Amish farm, and those backwards fucks can be really mean to dogs.  He has a particular aversion to my buddy's 4 year old daughter, who is an absolute sweetheart to him (or at least tries to be) and he just hates her guts.  We assume some little blonde haired Amish kid beat on him or something.

^^we had a rescue dog who was terrified to walk on tile. Dunno whether he was kicked in a kitchen, or just didn't like the feel of tile. At the time we were keeping a cat that we fed soft food, so I let the little dog lick the spoon, in the kitchen. That cleared up that particular terror.

• 3 weeks later...

Just adopted this weekend.

I’ve adopted from shelters and a greyhound rescue group. Totally different experiences.

Choosing a dog that fits your idea of a dog is important. If you don’t like constant barking, ask about barking. If you want a fetch pal or a hiking buddy, ask about their activity level. The shelters have been good at communicating their sense of the dogs they see every day.

Right now, most shelters are doing virtual adoptions which can make it hard to get a sense of the dog like you would in person. After reviewing their website this past week, the first 9 dogs I inquired about, the staff suggested against them because I had a small old dog and have kids. I insisted to see one and they were right. The dog was way too energetic and would have pummeled my dog just trying to play.

I was lucky the last time I adopted that the dog was 95% housebroken and did some basic commands. She was 2 years old. Now she’s 16 and much slower. The personality at the shelter was shy and timid, but the report was more promising and it worked out.

The time before was a greyhound rescue group that did a phone interview, then a home visit, then a meet up. The adoption required things like “if you go out of town, you will find a rescue group member to take the dog while you’re gone” and a reference from a neighbor but I guess it makes sense. They deal with horror stories all the time.

The shelters are pretty good about giving you material on how to crate train, how to potty train, etc. and they usually have places that will do the first vet checkup for free or reduced price.

As for supplies: food, training treats, water dispenser, bed(s), collar, leash.

Plan on possibly $1k/yr in vet fees (dental cleaning, two checkups, flea and tick prevention, heart worm prevention).

I’d plan on being off 3-5 days when you first get the dog home so you can supervise the dog in their new home.

Get a dog door. Never had a dog have an accident once they learned how to use their dog door. I can’t imagine having to open a door for a dog.

I used to have one. I have a dog that barks at squirrels and they would rush out on a tear barking incessantly and the neighbors would complain.

I guess i will chime in.  First and foremost define what do you want the dog for?  Somebody to walk with? A car co-pilot? Front door incessant alerts system (close to my heart)? Some one to love and be loved back?  Most likely all of the above!

SIZE/ TEMPERMENT - Do a little homework on breeds just to sort of determine what you don't want.  Then my advice is determine what size dog?  We have usually tended to go small to medium, but my daughter has a Golden that has sort of made me consider something bigger next go round.  Normally I want a dog that is big enough to bare teeth and make the average person hesitate, but not so big as to take up too much space on the furniture, or in the car.  Big dog...big shits.. another point that is often thought about.

EXERCISE - How are you going to get you dog exercise?  They need the activity more than we do, and if you are not active you better have a backyard, and a good are to toss the ball.  I think one of the best things you can do with a new dog is simply take it for walks and try to reinforce good behavior.

The only real "hints" I have once you get the dog is if you get a puppy buy and keep a lot of chew toys/ treats, as they are gonna chew on something.  I have an antique hall tree that knows I did not always follow this advice.  

IF YOU ARE ADOPTING - I might suggest you look at some of the smaller towns surround Austin or your area, as often smaller towns simply do not have the adoption demand.  I live in North Austin and I found our little guy in Boerne.  Good Luck!!!!

On 1/24/2021 at 7:44 PM, CooterBrown said:

Get a dog door. Never had a dog have an accident once they learned how to use their dog door. I can’t imagine having to open a door for a dog.

I have small dogs in an area where bald eagles are common.  I probably better not leave them unsupervised outdoors.