NYE plans (in 2020? are you kidding?)

After irth

So...who has plans?

Normally, we don't do shit for NYE.  Don't really care.  Wife (no pics) isn't much of a night owl, anyway.  And we generally find it best to avoid "amateur night" in public.

However, this year, my wife expressed a huge desire to send 2020 packing with 2 middle fingers held way up high.  Hard to argue with that kinda sentimentality.

We will be in The Woodlands and actually have reservations at a (hopefully) socially-distanced celebration.  Also gonna be packing party supplies for our suite at The Westin.  If it all sucks (or we get tired), we can just bring the party back to the room and toast from there.

Anyone wanna Surly Happy Hour on the 31st somewhere on the waterway...?

Dinner at home w/ MIL/BIL and SIL/BIL and combined kids. Going to roast a big beef tenderloin filet and grill up some lobster tails, shrimp cocktails. probably have a salad some shrooms and corn. simple, easy, and booze.

MIL/BIL taking the kids on the 29th so we can get our freak on and then watch the Horns. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife and I will continue our streak of holidays without interacting with anyone else.  We'll probably stay up just long enough to kiss at midnight, then go to bed.  New Year's day menu looks like pork tenderloin wrapped in homemade bacon and smoked, black eyed peas, ciaccio e pepe cabbage, rolls, and a dessert to be named later.  And, of course, football.  As much football as my wife will let me watch.

• Like 2

Son and DIL coming into town.  Other son is staying with us right now, so the first time we'll all be together since last January. Nothing planned for Thursday, other than a yet to be determined menu, football, and Cava. Lasagna for Friday and chocolate mint cheesecake for dessert. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Going down to Port A. We’ll be making s’mores and drinking some beer on the beach. It might be my first NYE ever with my kiddos because we always take them to the grandparents and go party. 

We've been going to Port A for many years for NYE and will again this year.  Always just at the house.  We did get an invite last year to watch the fireworks over the channel at the house of a friend of an in-law.  We may go outside to watch parts of this year's fireworks at a distance, but mostly stay inside watching TV festivities.  Son may come down.

In year's past, kids and grandkids would often come, but not expecting much this year.

Edited by abuelo gringo

Four course brewery meal + beer pairing in our own personal heated COVID dome(4 total), then for our Colombian friend, doing some of her traditions: 

• Eating 12 grapes at midnight
  • Wearing yellow underwear
  • Packing a suitcase and taking it around the block

Then it's off to bed to be well rested for a full day of CFB playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

We've been going to Port A for many years for NYE and will again this year.  Always just at the house.  We did get an invite last year to watch the fireworks over the channel at the house of a friend of an in-law.  We may go outside to watch parts of this year's fireworks at a distance, but mostly stay inside watching TV festivities.  Son may come down.

In year's past, kids and grandkids would often come, but not expecting much this year.

Best place to watch fireworks?

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Best place to watch fireworks?

For viewing, probably Roberts Point Park, but a lot of people park in parking lots on the N end of the island or along Port Street.  In the past, those areas were ridiculously crowded, a real traffic mess at the end.  We were lucky last year to be invited to a private residence on the N end of Sixth St. where we could watch from a 2nd story balcony.  We generally watch from our place on S. 11th, where you can only sees the higher, bigger bursts because of the buildings in between.

• Hook 'Em 1

We're road tripping to outdoor destinations (so, places we can hike, socially distance, etc.).

For NYE, we are literally going to stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon and yell "Adios, motherfucker!" in to the abyss, then look up at the stars.  That's pretty much our whole plan.  Dinner will probably be something we pick up in Flagstaff and eat in the car.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Four course brewery meal + beer pairing in our own personal heated COVID dome(4 total), then for our Colombian friend, doing some of her traditions: 

• Eating 12 grapes at midnight
  • Wearing yellow underwear
  • Packing a suitcase and taking it around the block

Then it's off to bed to be well rested for a full day of CFB playoffs. 

Pics of your Columbian friend in her yellow underwear, pls.

4 hours ago, midtown said:

I have my kids.   We just a got a 70" TV for Christmas.   Might do a surf and turf and watch some movies.   Maybe participate in the San Antonio ameteur fireworks show.

I have a San Antonio address but I am just outside the city limits.  Someone new to our neighborhood was complaining  on FB this weekend about someone shooting off some fireworks and her dogs were scared.  She has no idea what she is about to experience on Thurs night.  It will look like the first videos we saw of Operation Desert Storm back in the day.  And it will continue through the weekend.  

We have settled on staying home (weather doesn't sound like it is going to be great) and drinking a bunch of champagne. I will make Chili and my son requested the Poor Man's Burnt Ends I made a few months ago.  

6 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

It will look like the first videos we saw of Operation Desert Storm back in the day. 

I always think of the end of Caddyshack when all the dynamite is going off with the music playing.   And agreed it will continue into the wknd.   Fireworks stand dad buyer internal conversation.  "Do you think thats enough?" "well we have all wknd, might as well double up"

Edited by midtown

We went to dinner at Casa Mono at 4 PM (I have never felt more like my parents), and were able to celebrate the New Year in Spain (and France) with the grape tradition at 6 6 PM EST.  

We then went back to my house for a bit for more wine.  We then went to the neighborhood bar for a few cocktails with the dogs, then came back to mine to watch the various NYE celebrations (i.e. balls dropping).