Immortals Fenyx Rising

Hawndoh

Ubisoft game, mix of Assassin's Creed and Breath of the Wild. Set within Greek Mythology.

I'm playing it on Xbox Series X, it's on all platforms.

Pretty fun so far! They definitely leaned heavily on BotW for a lot of mechanics, but the combat is a bit more involved and probably more like AC. Not entirely sure as I haven't played very man AC games.

I like the style and I don't mind the corny humor but I've heard others can't stand it.

I've played a couple hours and most of that was just the tutorial prologue. Seems like it will be a decently long game.

Edited by Hawndoh

I’m really enjoying this game. The puzzles and combat are fun, and it doesn’t take itself too seriously.

They included a lot of QoL benefits that help save time (no recipes, no crafting, fast travel available from the start, weapons don’t break, don’t have to manage inventory, etc.)

Yeah since this was bumped, I should report back in. I've been playing it since last week, I really like it. The writing is great, the puzzles and Tartarus events are varied and fun. Surprisingly a lot of depth, all in all great game, too bad they dropped it in the middle of the crowded Q4 releases. This game would stand great on its own. They should've dropped it in the middle of summer.

I'm still enjoying this game a great deal. I'm around 20 hours in. I've completed 2 out of the 4 gods storylines, or at least have them in the Hall of Gods.

The puzzles haven't gotten stale, they keep getting tweaked just enough to make them seem new and interesting.

Boss fights and Legendary encounters I've gotten to have also shown decent variety and have been pretty fun without feeling too easy or too frustrating.

I did go to an island on the fringes of the map that had this bird creature boss that utterly kicked my ass. I'll have to go back later on and try it again after powering up more.

The quality of life things they've put in compared to other games like Zelda are great. Gathering materials for potions is quick and not too annoying. There is no annoying inventory management to bother with. You can customize visuals so if you like the looks of one weapon or armor but you like the stats of a different one you can mix and match the cosmetics.

Super fun game. And it looks and runs fantastic on the Series X, as would be expected.

I've heard after releasing a patch it even looks pretty decent on Switch.

Just finished the story last night, good game.

I know the island and the bird you are talking about. I ended up over there early in the game, trying to figure out how to get at that chest at the bottom of the island. Ass kicked.

If I was going to criticize the game, apart from cribbing from BOTW heavily, it would be that the combat was difficult until it wasn't and then it really wasn't. I focused on levelling up archery stuff and really once I got that at a pretty high level, combat stopped being a challenge at all. The boss bird on that island is a good example - utterly kicked my ass "there's just no fucking way, i used all my potions and haven't made a dent" and then piece of cake. The rapidity of that may also have been because I wasn't picking up the extra missions at the hall of the gods, and then I noticed that and picked them all up (so I got a shit ton of... coins and shards/etc in one go) but the combat got real easy. Final boss was not a challenge. I did play on normal, so maybe I should have upped the difficulty.

Another note I'd add is that there's not an end game. There's a "New Game+" and I think it creates a save before you go in to the final vault, but I was a little let down after completing the storyline that it wasn't going to let me go back and mop up the chests/vaults/challenges I hadn't gotten yet.

Good game. The best rating I can give it is that I wasn't excited about it particularly when I started it and I beat the game.