Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

At the risk of looking like Randolph Duke, here's a list of potential A&M attrition. The list is long because Jimbo is apparently trying to bring in a full class along with Mowry, Shepherd, and Jeffrey Carter, despite only having like eight graduating seniors. That's a lot of potential roster turnover going into the season they've had circled for awhile now due to the easy schedule and senior QB. Let me know if I'm missing anyone 

Medical

Vernon Jackson

Already Portal'd

Deneric Prince

Moses Reynolds

Brian Johnson

Glenn Beal

Kellen Diesch

Expected Portal

Roschaaud Paul

Derrick Tucker

James Foster

Jacob Kibodi

Camron Horry

Riley Anderson

Camron Buckley

Hezekiah Jones

Colten Blanton

Trayvon Fuller

Potential Portal

Jalen Preston

Caleb Chapman

Grayson Reed

Jashaun Corbin

Jayden Peevy

Connor Blumrick

Expected Early Draft Entries 

Justin Marmaduke

Quartney Davis

Possible Early Draft Entries

Kendrick Rogers

Jhamon Ausbon

Buddy Johnson

Possible Medical

Max Wright

Also, there's always a couple of unexpected guys to leave the program for whatever random reason 

That...that is a lot of turnover season to season. It's a lot of bread with nothing to replace it except younger bread. Woof. 

I look at the names either going or possibly going into the portal and see Peevy, Corbin and 21 guys getting pushed out the trapdoor.  I don't know if it is ballsy or just mean, but it clears a ton of dead scholarships.  Jimbo probably has one of those rubber bracelets that says WWSD (what would saban do).

5 minutes ago, MM42 said:

I look at the names either going or possibly going into the portal and see Peevy, Corbin and 21 guys getting pushed out the trapdoor.  I don't know if it is ballsy or just mean, but it clears a ton of dead scholarships.  Jimbo probably has one of those rubber bracelets that says WWSD (what would saban do).

He ain't replacing those guys with Bama's recruits. Also Bama's turnover is nothing like that - you need a cadre of upperclassmen to teach the young guys.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MM42 said:

Yeah, the problem is he's now replacing that bread with the bread he's already recruited, which is the same quality but hasn't had 2 years of experience in practice, games, or at a college level S&C and nutrition program. So...yeah, not exactly the rosiest outlook for this behavior to people paying attention. 

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Jimbo doesn’t have the cachet Saban has. If he forces that many guys out, he damn sure better win and win fast. Most people (non-Aggies) aren’t going to buy 10-2 next year being a successful season. And it won’t be. 

Well, they'll likely win 10 next year. But the fun is what happens after that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Jimbo doesn’t have the cachet Saban has. If he forces that many guys out, he damn sure better win and win fast. Most people (non-Aggies) aren’t going to buy 10-2 next year being a successful season. And it won’t be. 

I think many people will buy 10-2 being a successful season ... it would be just the second double-digit win season in a couple of decades, and the first since 2012.  You could argue they shouldn't, but they will.

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, the problem is he's now replacing that bread with the bread he's already recruited, which is the same quality but hasn't had 2 years of experience in practice, games, or at a college level S&C and nutrition program. So...yeah, not exactly the rosiest outlook for this behavior to people paying attention. 

You're looking at this all wrong.

If you're going to open a bakery, don't you want all your bread to be fresh?

• Haha 1

No doubt that Jimbo's class won't be on the Bama level.  But I believe he only had 3 seniors.  So if guys weren't run off, he'd have a class of about 5-7 kids.  He's running off kids he knows can't play for guys that some will pan out and others won't.  I get that running off guys is unsavory, but I get it for sure.  He'll probably get Shepherd & Carter as transfers plus 18 or so extra recruits.  Cutthroat for sure, if he wins it will be forgotten.  If he keeps winning 7 or 8 a year, it will be used against him.  

2 minutes ago, MM42 said:

He's running off kids he knows can't play for guys that some will pan out and others won't.

The exact same evaluators who made some of those "can't play" guys starters brought in the equally not-so-hyped (check the ratings by comparison) "might pan out, might not" guys. 

The problem isn't that he's running guys off. Probably 50% of their roster has no business playing D1 football. The problem is that he's not replacing them with anyone any better.

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He ain't replacing those guys with Bama's recruits. Also Bama's turnover is nothing like that - you need a cadre of upperclassmen to teach the young guys.

Yeah, I don't buy it. You're better off coaching up the Juniors-to-be and hoping they are replacement level than purging a third of your roster.

I have no clue if the guys he is replacing them with are any better.  But the evaluator thing is wrong.  All but a couple of the guys likely for the portal were the prior staffs offers.  I know Beal, Corbin & Preston were from the new staff.  But I think everybody else was old staff.  Super risky and probably won't know if it was a good idea for a couple years.

1 hour ago, MM42 said:

Peevy and Corbin are two of the more dubious names on there. Peevy because some aggy posters were worried about a cryptic tweet, and the Corbin theory I saw posted was because he’ll fall too far down the depth chart by the time he’s healthy again 

31 minutes ago, MM42 said:

I have no clue if the guys he is replacing them with are any better.  But the evaluator thing is wrong.  All but a couple of the guys likely for the portal were the prior staffs offers.  I know Beal, Corbin & Preston were from the new staff.  But I think everybody else was old staff.  Super risky and probably won't know if it was a good idea for a couple years.

They’ve already had a few of Jimbo’s guys already transfer/portal 

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah it was posted. He's been hanging on to the rim of the trapdoor by the ends of his fingernails for months.

Weren’t Ellison and Mowry about equal on their boards?

I thought they were beating off on both of them.

54 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

SIAP:

A 4-star DT, Ellison, has de-committed from aggy...opening up his recruitnent.

Wasn’t Ellison just mentioned as a big addition in one of Pepperoni or Luicci’s most recent sunshine pumping recruiting chat?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What happens after that is they play the same shitty schedule as 2020, except swapping Missouri for Vandy.  It very well could be multiple 10 win seasons in a row because they'll play 3-4 teams that end up with a winning record.

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

I think many people will buy 10-2 being a successful season ... it would be just the second double-digit win season in a couple of decades, and the first since 2012.  You could argue they shouldn't, but they will.

I have no doubt aggy will claim it’s a big deal, but their schedule next year is utter shit. They shouldn’t be at risk of losing to any more than 3 teams. 

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

10-2 means he beat at least one of auburn, bama, or LSU. They would absolutely consider that a great season and a stepping stone to greatness. 

so who is their qb in 2021?  All in on king?

I see 10 wins I’m thinking 10-3 with the bowl game.  And yes that would be successful but still seems like a long shot, I’d o/u it at 8.5

Also (catching up) I can’t believe none of you fuckers caught on the last page that looch said 4 active national champ coaches when there are 5 (Saban, Mack, Les, Jimbo, Dabo)

Hell no, he's not winning 10 games next year. He's lost less than 3 games once with a JAG at QB, and he did that with a talented FSU squad. aggy will have a worse QB in Mond and will not have anywhere near the talent that 2012 FSU squad had, which had 11 players drafted into the NFL, including 5 in the 1st 2 rounds.

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Hell no, he's not winning 10 games next year. He's lost less than 3 games once with a JAG at QB, and he did that with a talented FSU squad. aggy will have a worse QB in Mond and will not have anywhere near the talent that 2012 FSU squad had, which had 11 players drafted into the NFL, including 5 in the 1st 2 rounds.

7/12 games are at home next season.. OOC schedule is again weak.  Colorado visits there, Ole miss, Piggy with new HCs. They most likely get 9 wins and you know they will be matched well in a bowl game for #10

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

7/12 games are at home next season.. OOC schedule is again weak.  Colorado visits there, Ole miss, Piggy with new HCs. They most likely get 9 wins and you know they will be matched well in a bowl game for #10

They will definitely lose to LSU and Alabama. Being that they are aggies, they will also lose another that they shouldn't. Then, with a 9-3 record, even if every win was against some trash team, it doesn't matter which bowl they get sent to, they will be matched against a team far superior to them and get routed. They will basically end their season on a three game losing streak and finish 9-4, which will still be considered great success against their historical average.

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Ehh. I could easily see them losing their bowl game and going 9-4 in the year they all pegged as their championship season when Jimbo was hired. 

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

They will definitely lose to LSU and Alabama. Being that they are aggies, they will also lose another that they shouldn't. Then, with a 9-3 record, even if every win was against some trash team, it doesn't matter which bowl they get sent to, they will be matched against a team far superior to them and get routed. They will basically end their season on a three game losing streak and finish 9-4, which will still be considered great success against their historical average.

They are losing to LSU, @Bama, and @Auburn. Then they will probably lose a game they shouldn't on top of that. You don't lose 15+ players in one offseason and expect to do well the next season.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They are losing to LSU, @Bama, and @Auburn. Then they will probably lose a game they shouldn't on top of that. You don't lose 15+ players in one offseason and expect to do well the next season.

I hope you’re right, and generally agree, but all 3 of those schools are losing after this season. Bama loses like 24 seniors, likely 5-6 underclassmen to the draft including 2-3 wrs and Tua. Auburn loses, if memory serves, every starter in the trenches on both sides of the ball. LSU will be lucky to keep Brady, they lose Burrow and a ton of upperclassmen talent and Delpit and some other JRs also. I’ve seen all the discussions on Brady and that LSU “will do whatever it takes to keep him” and while that is certainly well and good, I think the odds are more in favor of him getting something he can’t refuse from somewhere else and it isn’t as if he’s in a haven of intellectual development for his future right now. No doubt Kyrie Eleison will shit himself in a fury to tell me how wrong I am, but I’ll stand by my objective position and dismiss an LSU imbecile’s whines. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1