Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

1 minute ago, EE2B said:

He’s a top 100 LB and his top three were A&M, Missouri and Illinois? Someone help me out here...

Lot of teams supposedly backed off.  Took an OV to Oklahoma and Super K said they weren't even going to pursue him anymore after the OV.  Rumor is he has a kid.  Transfer portal candidate IMO.

The aggy locker room is going to be a circus with guys like Demas, O'Neal, potentially Shephard, Evans, and all the other mercenaries Jimbo has taken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lot of teams supposedly backed off.  Took an OV to Oklahoma and Super K said they weren't even going to pursue him anymore after the OV.  Rumor is he has a kid.  Transfer portal candidate IMO.

The aggy locker room is going to be a circus with guys like Demas, O'Neal, potentially Shephard, Evans, and all the other mercenaries Jimbo has taken.

I don't think Demas is anywhere near the others in terms of red flags. He's loud and cocky af, but what bluechip WR not named Devin Duvernay or Quentin Johnston isn't?

Even though he was probably bought off, he's played a minimal amount of games afterwards except for the trip to LSU.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Um

EL77U7sWwAUhlCb?format=jpg&name=smallEL77VREXUAIkNgv?format=jpg&name=small

Reveal hidden contents

EL77UduXkAAdumN?format=jpg&name=small

There’s also a chance that all of Surly may not run train on South Austin’s mom tonight. 

1 hour ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Didn't that one article say Evans wanted to go to law school or something?  Doesn't bode well if you can't qualify... 

I’m sure Chris Vaughn knows a guy who could get him a 32 on that ACT.

I think this is where A&M and Florida stand (didn't read through all the junk, just skimmed quickly)

- EJ Smith - Perroni very confident, UF thinks it's not UF

- Diggs - Perroni confident

- Harris - Perroni thinks A&M, but not certain;  UF thinks they're in it

- Morris - Perroni thinks A&M, not certain

So aggy is going to process Jefferson the day before signing day? 

Perroni:

In case you missed my update on the Monday notes thread.

Braedon Mowry has received his NLI from A&M and will be signing on Wednesday.

Kenneth Phillips is set to speak with Fisher in the morning. The folks at Navasota are set to talk to A&M in the morning as well, so we should have an answer on Jordan Jefferson at that point.

Edited by Lobwedgephil

Spoiler

Quick Monday night thoughts

14,279 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 40 sec ago by DTP02

Liucci

1:59a, 12/17/19 

Staff

AG

Just a few quickie observations before I get back to this Class Grades article. Pretty insane how much each position group could swing depending on who the Ags add, don't add or lose between now and Wednesday. Anyway, here goes:

-Losing Jashaun Corbin to the transfer portal came as quite a surprise to everyone I've talked to. If we are to assume that the sophomore returns from his torn and surgically-repaired hamstring at 100%, a guy up and leaving who many insiders believed was the team's best offensive player entering the season is a big blow. It becomes an even bigger blow when you realize the Ags will now return just two (and Cordarrian Richardson hasn't necessarily been stalwart in the lineup) tailbacks with any experience at all. Come to think of it, without Corbin, the Ags wouldn't bring back anyone at all outside of those two. Six months ago at this time, Jay Graham's backfield stable featured Corbin, Vernon Jackson (neck injury), Deneric Prince and Jacob Kibodi (portal). Today, all that's left are Richardson and impressive true freshman Isaiah Spiller. That's it.

The Aggies were going to sign three running backs in this year's class regardless and would probably take four were it not for the lack of scholarship room. Makes adding one more tailback with star potential between now and NSD an absolute must, doesn't it?

In addition, the Ags are going to have to get creative in terms of moving a player or two into the backfield to see what they can do...especially for the upcoming Texas Bowl date with Oklahoma State. The situation is actually pretty dire until the reinforcements arrive this spring and in June.

-Corbin leaving seems pretty odd to me considering he's coming off of injury, by all accounts had an outstanding experience in Aggieland and, if healthy, would at least share the load with Spiller next fall. He was clearly a guy Jimbo Fisher thought very highly of, as well. Keep an eye on Florida here, as the word on the street is that Dan Mullen's Gators may have tampered with an active player on another SEC roster, which is a much bigger 'no-no' to Greg Sankey and the league than most realize. To time it up just before Signing Day feels like a player aiming to secure a spot at a specific program, thus preventing any last-second additions to a recruiting class at said players position.

-Don't let the fact that most of you who follow this stuff on TexAgs knew Antonio Doyle was likely to be an Aggie distract from the fact that the Missouri linebacker adding his name to the Class of 2020 was a big, big deal for Mike Elko and the Aggies. Antonio is the type of linebacker the Ags have generally lacked in recent seasons. He's long, extremely fast and fluid and is a natural playmaker against both the run and pass. At 6-4, 230 pounds, Doyle is going to grow into the prototypical SEC linebacker in terms of size, speed and physicality. This was one of those extended recruitments in which Jimbo Fisher, Joe Jon Finley, Bradley Dale Peveto and the Aggies hung in and rode the highs and lows because they believe the blue-chip linebacker is going to be special. Today was a big payoff day in Bright after recruiting Doyle from wire to wire.

-By the way, adding the likes of Doyle, Donell Harris, Fadil Diggs and Braedon Mowry to the front seven will soon go a long way in changing up the look of what Elko does up front. Throw in Edgerrin Cooper and the Ags will have added a tremendous, potentially game-changing amount of front seven length and edge speed in a single class.

-So who is actually still in play with less than 48 hours until National Signing Day? A little more than a day out, Fisher's Ags are still on the right side of things with longtime commits Dallas Walker (vs Auburn), Donell Harris (vs Florida), Fadil Diggs (vs Maryland) and Chris Morris (vs Ole Miss) but the Ags will have keep their thumb on each of those recruitments until the ink is dry. Let's take a quick look at the remainder of the list.  

RB - EJ Smith, Zach Evans, Daniyel Ngata
OL - Sedrick Van Pran (February signing)
DT - McKinnley Jackson (February signing)
LB - Edgerrin Cooper
CB - Brian George, Dontae Manning (February signing)
S - Major Burns

As of tonight, I would be surprised if the Ags sent Major Burns an LOI on Wednesday. He's been about as wishy washy with A&M as any recruit in recent memory and there simply aren't enough available scholarships to sit around and hope. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Ags haven't moved on and are good letting the one-time A&M and one-time LSU commit head to Athens.

If the Ags make a hard push for Edgerrin Cooper, I believe they get the 6-2, 215-pound linebacker during the early signing period. If he doesn't ink with the Ags, I expect we'll see Cooper ride it out until the first week in February. Based on everything I've heard, Cooper - who is going to end up being a 240-250 pounder before all is said - was extremely impressive while in College Station this weekend so his recruitment will be as interesting as any to follow on Tuesday and Wednesday. He looks and sounds like a guy who might be too good to let slide into January and the open market.

At corner, I listed Dontae Manning only because he's uncommitted and will extend his recruitment into the second signing period. The Ags are on the outside looking in here and have been for a while. A&M once appeared on the outside looking in for JUCO standout Brian George but it's made the rounds over the last 24 hours or so, beginning with the Auburn side, that George is still giving the Aggies are suddenly making a pretty serious run. Because of need and how hard the Ags pursued Brian from the start of his recruitment, I'd fully expect A&M to go out and grab the lockdown JC corner if the opportunity is there.

The Ags will probably have one and no more than two scholarships to work with in January and McKinnley Jackson is clearly the prize, but Jimbo Fisher and Co. are certain to find more than one late signee to also take a hard look at until Jackson says 'yes' and secures his spot in the Ags' 2020 haul. The most likely names include one-time UGA commit Sedrick Van Pran and Fort Bend Marshall QB/speedster Malik Hornsby.

Did someone say running back? Things could truly go one of three ways here but it's clear the Ags aren't going to be able to ink more than one member of the bunch, pushing their total at the position to three. Folks on the Florida and Stanford side (and sites) are beginning to concede E.J. Smith to the Aggies, which is always a good sign and would fall in line with what I've been expecting throughout the November/December stretch run. As for Zach Evans, what the five-star from North Shore does is still anyone's guess (including whether or not he even signs in December at this point), and that would seem to include the folks in Baton Rouge and College Station.

We'll have plenty more tomorrow, as the wild ride that has been the 2020 recruiting race comes to an end.

Ryan Brauninger

7:53a 

Staff

It's the final full day in the opening window of the 2020 recruiting cycle, and there's still quite a bit of intrigue. 

I'll start today's thread with an update on a commit. I spoke with two sources late last night that indicated they were very comfortable saying Fadil Diggs would be signing with the Aggies tomorrow. I know a lot of people weren't worried about Maryland, but it sounds like Fadil has been in contact with all the other commits and A&M coaches since the weekend. 

As we posted last night, the Donell Harris recruitment is ongoing and will be a fight to the finish over the next 24 hours. The UF side continues to grow in confidence, but I've still yet to be told definitively that Harris is going to flip to the Gators. Again, Donell would be walking back on quite a few folks if he were to have a change of heart this late in the game. We'll continue to monitor this one throughout the day. 

Other names still circulating in this early period are: 

Dallas Jesuit RB EJ Smith 
North Shore RB Zach Evans 
Folsom (CA) RB Daniyel Ngata (fading a little)
Covington (LA) LB Edgerrin Cooper 
Baton Rouge (LA) DB Major Burns (fading)
Highland CC (KS) CB Brian George 
Transfer OL Javonne Shepherd

18 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

-Losing Jashaun Corbin to the transfer portal came as quite a surprise to everyone I've talked to. If we are to assume that the sophomore returns from his torn and surgically-repaired hamstring at 100%, a guy up and leaving who many insiders believed was the team's best offensive player entering the season is a big blow. It becomes an even bigger blow when you realize the Ags will now return just two (and Cordarrian Richardson hasn't necessarily been stalwart in the lineup) tailbacks with any experience at all. Come to think of it, without Corbin, the Ags wouldn't bring back anyone at all outside of those two. Six months ago at this time, Jay Graham's backfield stable featured Corbin, Vernon Jackson (neck injury), Deneric Prince and Jacob Kibodi (portal). Today, all that's left are Richardson and impressive true freshman Isaiah Spiller. That's it.

A random aggie on their secrant page called Corbin transferring a month ago

That guy isn’t wrong about capitalizing on the 21 guys while Texas fucks around for a year before firing herman. 
we were all set to have the 18-21 classes get our talent up to par for doing great things, but winning got hard. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto