Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

while i put on my maroon gas mask and inhale a massive does of signing day smoke - i think this is a pretty damn solid class, and probably one offensive tackle (sheppard?) and another corner from being elite. the pressure is on jaylon jones and josh moten to both become good players, and george to get up to speed quick, if he even arrives in the summer.

i don't understand punting ellison and keeping dallas walker, but they seem to love the kid, and auburn was heavy after him. the mowry, harris, diggs trio is going to result in at least one guy that's really good there if not two, and if doyle can keep his head on straight he's going to be in the mix immediately.

if nothing else, jimbo has greatly increased the athleticism across the roster, but not sure how high the ceiling gets if we can't get better offensive linemen and corners. 

Man, no other fanbase takes this kind of shit from their mods. It's like some S&M shit.

• I'll be honest, this was one of the least fun recruiting cycles I've ever covered, and it had everything to do with the air of negativity on the boards and the sense of impending doom from A&M fans on social media, TexAgs and elsewhere – even folks in my day-to-day. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop, embracing panic at every opportunity and ignoring the positive momentum while seemingly attempting to will the negative into existence.

It has got to stop. Maybe once Jimbo Fisher reels in yet another elite class in '21 folks will catch on, but until then I'll keep saying it: All the dude does is put together top-6 classes. At Florida State, Jimbo's full classes finished 2, 4, 11, 4, 3, 3, and 6 in the national rankings. His first full class in Aggieland ranked third, and this one looks like it will hold steady at No. 6. Still, we had to wade through the cliff-jumping sessions that occurred when a few of the loudest members of Team Panic led the charge in light of A&M 'striking out' at running back when Jase McClellan‍ and Seth McGowan‍ chose OU and Zach Evans‍ left the Ags out of his top-5 (so far, A&M has inked Devon Achane out of the 'must-have' group and still has a legit look at Evans and Daniyel Ngata). When the Aggies were getting 'no one' along the offensive line prior to flipping Akinola Ogunbiyi‍ from Georgia and beating out Tennessee, Bama and OU for Chris Morris‍ (and then possibly adding Javonne Shepherd‍). When Donell Harris‍ was a lock for LSU and later flipped to Florida or when Morris was bound for Ole Miss because some clown tweeted about it and Lane Kiffin posted a fishing gif. Or how about the meltdown when the Aggies lost Princely Umanmielen‍, Josh Eaton‍ and Xavion Alford‍ to Texas? Two of those three eventually signed elsewhere, and the Ags chose not to re-engage in the recruitment...go figure. Remember Haynes King‍ being 'crystal balled' to Tennessee and the consternation over the Aggies' lack of QB recruiting? Antonio Doyle‍ (Mizzou) and Antonio Johnson‍ (Tennessee) being off the board? There are probably more examples, but all I'm going to say is this: Have some damn faith, people. I'm all for enjoying the highs and stressing over the lows in recruiting, but this nonsense of expecting the worst has got to end. Maybe Fisher can break the cycle of negative thinking (and it goes way up the chain around here, sadly) by signing his third straight class ranking 7th or higher in 2021. It's going to happen, so maybe that will convince the glass half empties among us.

Too preachy? Try being on this side of it and you'll see where I'm coming from. I have a feeling about 90 percent of you will feel me on this regardless.

• Like 1

Just now, bizzle said:

while i put on my maroon gas mask and inhale a massive does of signing day smoke - i think this is a pretty damn solid class, and probably one offensive tackle (sheppard?) and another corner from being elite. the pressure is on jaylon jones and josh moten to both become good players, and george to get up to speed quick, if he even arrives in the summer.

i don't understand punting ellison and keeping dallas walker, but they seem to love the kid, and auburn was heavy after him. the mowry, harris, diggs trio is going to result in at least one guy that's really good there if not two, and if doyle can keep his head on straight he's going to be in the mix immediately.

if nothing else, jimbo has greatly increased the athleticism across the roster, but not sure how high the ceiling gets if we can't get better offensive linemen and corners. 

I think if Jimbo can keep the signees' heads on straight for long enough to get them coached up and on the field, it's definitely a solid class. With guys like Doyle, George and (potentially) Evans, that's far from a guarantee, but it worked for him for a bit at FSU before it fell apart.

I'm not sure given his academic/personality issues that relying on Shepherd to do anything for you is a good plan - the offensive line could be a real problem for all those strong skill position guys.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bizzle said:

Of course the problem isn’t your roster, it’s your CULTure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

The real question will be attrition. 11/22 of your class is from OOS and after 10/27 we’re from OOS the year before, plus Jimbo always takes some guys with serious question marks. Some of them work out, some of them don’t. If A&M struggles, the next couple years or Elko goes elsewhere and take some coaches with him, then locker room issues and attrition could hit pretty hard and really undercut the last two classes. If A&M is winning and he can keep the locker room happy, then A&M could potentially finish second in its division more than once every 7 years. 

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

Jimbo can recruit for sure. The challenge is how you deploy them to compete with who is ahead of you in the rankings.

Every player they have should either be top 10 in Texas, or would be top 10 in Texas.   Every 4* is “5-star worthy”.  Or hell just give him them the extra star.   Every other program stays stagnant or will regress, except atm.

Was looking for some lol on their boards last night and the amount of parroted misinformation is just stunning.  We have the #1 this, #1 that, etc. when several of those guys have either dropped or been legitimately proven false since that Jr yr ranking.  About every 30th post someone will make an actual well thought out, valid, and truthful post.   “Hey guys, remember even though Clemson had a 5th ranked class a few years ago, they only took 15 guys and their avg player was outstanding”, something to that effect.   The rest are thinking they are about to roll Clemson because they landed outside the top 5 once, and Jimbo is bringing in the #1 player at every. single. position.  Just so fucking hard to read.     Next years JV schedule should have them at new heights. Hope next years class can see through it...

34 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Every player they have should either be top 10 in Texas, or would be top 10 in Texas.   Every 4* is “5-star worthy”.  Or hell just give him them the extra star.   Every other program stays stagnant or will regress, except atm.

Was looking for some lol on their boards last night and the amount of parroted misinformation is just stunning.  We have the #1 this, #1 that, etc. when several of those guys have either dropped or been legitimately proven false since that Jr yr ranking.  About every 30th post someone will make an actual well thought out, valid, and truthful post.   “Hey guys, remember even though Clemson had a 5th ranked class a few years ago, they only took 15 guys and their avg player was outstanding”, something to that effect.   The rest are thinking they are about to roll Clemson because they landed outside the top 5 once, and Jimbo is bringing in the #1 player at every. single. position.  Just so fucking hard to read.     Next years JV schedule should have them at new heights. Hope next years class can see through it...

Clemson had this #16 class (14 enrollees): https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

Followed up by this #7 class (17 enrollees): https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

...which of course was the one with this amazing graphic:

DRhaPjoVQAAGDzT?format=jpg&name=small

@texifornia those are the classes I was speaking of (phone is being shit so I was lazy and didn’t look up actual ranks).  Guess my point was there are tons of idiots over there that think they are right in the thick of it, because, well Clemson had a few “not top 5” (or 6 if your Lucci) classes and look how good they are!!1!1!   It doesn’t dawn on them that all 3 and 4* are not equal, and if you don’t have an Oline, it doesn’t really make a shit anyhow.  It also doesn’t dawn on them that Jimbo/=/Dabo/Saban. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@texifornia those are the classes I was speaking of (phone is being shit so I was lazy and didn’t look up actual ranks).  Guess my point was there are tons of idiots over there that think they are right in the thick of it, because, well Clemson had a few “not top 5” (or 6 if your Lucci) classes and look how good they are!!1!1!   It doesn’t dawn on them that all 3 and 4* are not equal, and if you don’t have an Oline, it doesn’t really make a shit anyhow.  It also doesn’t dawn on them that Jimbo/=/Dabo/Saban. 

Oh I was agreeing with you, just showing the classes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

All I can say is wow.  He's telling people what they should think.

There were people selling the only reason they didn’t land EJ Smith was due to posters treating him second to Evans, and discussing him as if he was a sealed deal.  “I heard from a teammate”. Even more outrageous is there was posters believing that drivel. 

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Clemson had this #16 class (14 enrollees): https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

Followed up by this #7 class (17 enrollees): https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

#WRTC

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Who, uh, other than Demas and Jaylon Jones did we "really" want? Their class is fucking bread, minus like 5 players. 

Yes, we got whipped so bad we had to go to fucking New Jersey to get commits.

QB - Texas

RB - Texas

WR - aggy

TE - aggy took one. He's bread.

OL - Texas

DL - right now aggy, but Texas getting Collins and Princely makes it us

LB - Texas

DB - Texas

Edited by HtownHorn

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, we got whipped so bad we had to go to fucking New Jersey to get commits.

QB - Texas

RB - Texas

WR - aggy

TE - aggy took one. He's bread.

OL - Texas

DL - right now aggy, but Texas getting Collins and Princely makes it us

LB - Texas

DB - Texas

It's pretty incredible how badly they owned us. I'd totally take Jordan Jefferson over any of our commits. They whipped us so bad that I literally had to look up who else they got other than Jones and Demas. Their class is legendary. 

I suspect Diggs will portal out in 2 years. 

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's pretty incredible how badly they owned us. I'd totally take Jordan Jefferson over any of our commits. They whipped us so bad that I literally had to look up who else they got other than Jones and Demas. Their class is legendary. 

I suspect Diggs will portal out in 2 years. 

Doyle, Harris, Raikes, Diggs all seem likely to portal at some point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Jones and Demas are obvious takes but the rest are huge question marks. Walker, Morris, Diggs, Doyle, could all be amazing but they could all be head case flops everyone passed on for a reason. No one knows 

Walker and Morris aren't headcases as far as I know. They're just not super awesome recruits. Certainly can be useful in their roles, just not world beaters.

Edited by texifornia

Aggy will never have enough talent to win the conference, much less ever make the playoffs. They routinely have 6-8 good players, but the rest of their team is garbage, forever. Hence why they're middle of the pack year after year. Even with bagmen they can't secure enough talent to want to be there. 

You spew this same bullshit after every class. And 7-5 year after 7-5 year you are proven to be fucking wrong. Man, 1939 and 1998 aren’t a coincidence.

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Oh yeah, well Jimbo got 7...if you don’t let facts get in the way. 

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3084328

18 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Yea, right....says if those out of state signees were from Texas...they'd be top 10 in the state.  Huh?  Keep believing it aggy.

just in case people were curious

• Doyle was #4 in MO
  • Antonio Johnson was #4 in IL
  • Diggs was #4 in NJ
  • Muhammad was #6 in NC
  • MOten was #15 in MD
  • Raikes was #9 in NJ
  • Walker was #14 in Tenn
  • Deondre Jackson was #86 in GA

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

just in case people were curious

• Doyle was #4 in MO
  • Antonio Johnson was #4 in IL
  • Diggs was #4 in NJ
  • Muhammad was #6 in NC
  • MOten was #15 in MD
  • Raikes was #9 in NJ
  • Walker was #14 in Tenn
  • Deondre Jackson was #86 in GA

Well damn, that’s 8 that would be in Texas top 10, Demas and King the other 2??

• Like 3

Grading each position in A&M's 2020 class

BRIAN PERRONI 

Texas A&M had a very good Early Signing Period with the class of 2020.

At the end of Wednesday, the Aggies were able to fend off other schools for all of their commits, signing each one. That included a pair of four-star defenders that committed to A&M earlier in the week.

The class currently has 22 players in it and is ranked No. 6 nationally. There is room for three more players, so there will be some new in January and February. However, most of the class is complete.

With that being said, here are my grades for each position. Some players will end up outplaying their ranking while others are bound to do the opposite. However, considered the needs of the team and the players they targeted, this is how I rank things at the moment.

QUARTERBACK: A+

Texas A&M took a lot more time than a lot of schools, choosing to sit out of the early round of the quarterback musical chairs. That moved paid off as Longview’s Haynes King looked every part of a future star on his junior film and throughout the spring evaluation period.

The 6-foot-2.5, 190-pound dual-threat East Texan long had Tennessee on top but the Aggies were able to convince him to stay in state, picking up a commitment over the summer.

King struggled a bit as a senior but he is still the same player that put up incredible accuracy numbers as a junior and tested off the charts this spring. He has a potential to be a big-time star in college.

RUNNING BACK: B

With A&M seeing a ton of attrition at the spot over the course of the season, losing three players to the transfer portal and one to an injury retirement, running back became a very important position.

This grade will definitely go up to an A+ if A&M is able to beat out LSU for North Shore five-star Zachary Evans on Jan. 2, but for now, there are still some concerns.

A&M signed one of the nation’s top playmakers in four-star all-purpose back Devon Achane. The 5-foot-9, 170-pound speedster will also run on the Aggie track team. He can do a lot of things with the ball in space and should have an immediate impact in the return game as well. However, Achane is not a player that is going to run between the tackles much in the SEC.

The other running back in the class is Deondre Jackson out of Georgia. The 5-foot-10.5, 205-pounder had an impressive senior season and can run between the tackles and grind out yards. However, he isn’t going to be much of a home-run threat. Jackson will definitely have a role in the physical SEC, though.

Evans is the player that can do a little bit of everything and the type that the Aggies would ideally have to keep up with the Joneses in the SEC West. The class right now is good but, without Evans, landing either Camar Wheaton or LJ Johnson in the 2021 class becomes very important as they too are both game-changing backs.

WIDE RECEIVER: A

Texas A&M got the signature from what many consider the top wide receiver in the country in 6-foot-3, 200-pound five-star Demond Demas. He has run sub-4.4 times and is incredibly athletic. The one concern is the competition level he has faced, which was very weak. However, Demas has every trait one looks for in a receiver and, even if it takes some time to get up to the speed of the college game, he has the potential to be an All-American.

Muhsin Muhammad III out of North Carolina is a player that A&M absolutely loves. They went to the East Coast and made the 6-foot, 185-pounder a priority. He is not as fast or as big as Demas, but he runs routes incredibly well and he is very dangerous after the catch.

Devin Price, a local product from A&M Consolidated, is a bit of a wildcard. But, he has good size at 6-foot-2.5, 205 pounds and had a couple huge games his senior season. Speed is a bit of a question mark but, at worst, Price should be a player that is able to move the chains for the Aggies as he has very good hands.

TIGHT END: B-

With Glenn Beal having removed his name from the transfer portal, the depth at the tight end position is not quite as dire anymore. Still, though, the Aggies need bodies if nothing else.

A&M signed Blake Smith out of Southlake Carroll, who saw his stock shoot up this past spring. A former quarterback turned blocking tight end as a junior, the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder impressed schools in spring ball. He picked up a ton of offers but committed on his first official visit, which was to A&M, and completely shut things down.

Smith had an impressive senior season, proving to more of a pass-catcher than he had shown as a junior, but the Aggies still went after some other national prospects.

OFFENSIVE LINE: C

Anybody who watched Texas A&M play this year knows the Aggies need help on the offensive line. There are some solid signees in the class, but there is not a true left tackle prospect that the team desperately needs. If they land Texas transfer Javonne Shepherd, he could fill that role. Until then, though, the grade is low because it is so interior-heavy.

Landing Chris Morris out of Memphis was big as A&M beat out most of the SEC. The Aggies are recruiting the 6-foot-3.5, 290-pounder as either a tackle or a guard. He is longer than most players his height and has good feet, but may not be a prospect you rely on to anchor the line. Still, he should be a big player for the Maroon and White.

Getting four-star offensive guard Akinola Ogunbiyi back after he had flipped to Georgia in the spring is big. He is a mauler in the run game. However, in the past two seasons combined, his team completed less than 30 passes, so his pass blocking skills are a bit of a question mark. Ogunbiyi has lost a bit of weight as well but will still need time in the training room. However, he has the potential to be an All-SEC type player.

A&M picked up an early commit from offensive guard Josh Bankhead, who committed on the spot the spring of his sophomore year. Bankhead is one of the strongest players in the state and it shows when he run blocks. He loves the weight room. His game may not be incredibly flashy but he could be the first of the signees to see the field in Aggieland.

Smart Chibuzo committed along with good friend Ogunbiyi the first time around and stayed true to his pledge. Thought to be a tackle at the time, he transitioned to guard as a senior and is a better fit there. A&M listed him at 6-foot-4, 350 pounds so he, too, will have to hit the training room.

The final commit is Jordan Jefferson of Navasota. He committed in early February of his freshman year. A&M listed the 6-foot, 315-pounder as an offensive lineman but he could end up on the defensive line. If not, center is probably his best bet.

DEFENSIVE END: A

This was a very good haul at defensive end for A&M. The roster now has a bunch of bigger players that are good run-stoppers, so the staff went out and prioritized pass rushers.

National top-100 prospect Donell Harris out of Miami gave the Aggies a scare when he seriously considered flipping to Florida late. However, the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder signed with A&M in the end. He had 19 sacks in 11 games as a senior and gives the roster quickness that is does not currently have.

Another big-time pass rusher that A&M was able to hold onto late was four-star Fadil Diggs. The New Jersey Gatorade Player of the Year, there’s a reason he a number of programs continued to try and flip him. The 6-foot-4, 240-pounder also had 19 sacks as a senior while showing his athleticism on offense as well, topping the 1,000-yard mark as a receiver. Diggs will enroll early and could make his way up the depth chart by the end of fall camp.

It took a year longer than he would have liked but four-star Braedon Mowry of Katy Taylor is now officially an Aggie as well. A longtime commit in the class of 2019, he worked on academics and was able to sign with this class. The 6-foot-4, 240-pounder had 23 tackles for loss and 12 sacks as a senior, so he too is a strong pass rusher.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: B-

A&M went out of state to pick up a couple of targets.

Isaiah Raikes from New Jersey is going to be more of a one-technique at 6-foot-0.5, 325 pounds. He showed athleticism by playing running back as a senior and is quick from the interior. He is similar to former A&M standout Daylon Mack in terms of build but could also have some of the same problems against the run. Still, though, he is a very solid player.

Dallas Walker out of Tennessee fits the mold of a lot of the defensive linemen currently on campus at 6-foot-4, 315 pounds. However, he is still a bit raw. The tools are there and should show up, though, and there is a reason that Auburn tried so hard to flip him late. However, it could be a couple years before he is able to contribute.

A&M would really like McKinnley Jackson out of Mississippi to sign with them in February. If the 6-foot-2, 327-pounder ends up an Aggie, this grade will go up.

LINEBACKER: B+

The Aggies signed four linebackers in last year’s class, so it was not a huge need this year. Still, it would have been nice for A&M to have been able to add two players at the position instead of just one. The one that signed, though, is very good.

The Aggies were one of the first programs after four-star Antonio Doyle out of St. Louis and it paid off as he committed to A&M earlier this week.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound defender can play any of the linebacker spots and the Aggies have told him he could end up inside or out. For a bigger high school linebacker, he covers a ton of ground and is also very strong vs. the run. Doyle should be a very big contributor throughout his career and very much fits the mold of an SEC linebacker.

A&M hosted Edgerrin Cooper, a four-star outside linebacker/edge rusher out of Louisiana, just before the dead period. He could still potentially end up in the class when all is said and done and, if he does, would give A&M a different type of player on the roster.

CORNERBACK: A

This grade went way up when the Aggies were able to land four-star junior college transfer Brian George this past Tuesday. Though the 6-foot-2, 190-pound defender likely will not be in town until the summer, he has experience against big and fast competition and was a second-team All-American this past season. He gives A&M a player that could come in and contend for playing time immediately at a spot that needs an infusion of speed.

Jaylon Jones out of Cibolo Steele was a huge get as well. Committed since early-February, the 6-foot-2.5. 190-pounder is a big cornerback but is a player that A&M expects to stick at the position. He had four interceptions as a senior, despite seeing other teams do their best to throw away from him. There is a reason Jones is ranked as the No. 30 overall player in the class and, as an early enrollee, is likely to find his way into the depth chart very early as well.

Though A&M fans may not know a ton about four-star Joshuah Moten out of Maryland, he only allowed four passes to be completed on him all year while intercepting four passes and breaking up eight more. It was big when A&M flipped him from Penn State. Moten needs to add weight, though, as he came in at 5-foot-11, 165 pounds this past spring. Once he does that, he will help the Aggies get faster in the rotation at the position.

SAFETY: B

Like linebacker, safety is a position that the Aggies signed some very good players at a year ago. Because of that, the coaching staff was very selective at the spot.

They zeroed in on Antonio Johnson out of East St. Louis as their primary target. The 6-foot-2, 182-pounder is athletic enough to play cornerback, and was recruited there by some schools, but loves to hit and stop the run as a safety. He was A&M’s main target at the position and the Aggies were able to beat out most of the top schools in the country for him.

But, with injury and attrition, A&M saw late in the year that it needed some depth at the spot. They ended up burning the redshirt of Erick Young because of it. Is not taking more than one in the class going to end up biting the Aggies

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

QUARTERBACK: A+

King struggled a bit as a senior but he is still the same player that put up incredible accuracy numbers as a junior and tested off the charts this spring. He has a potential to be a big-time star in college.

Never a more aggy statement than that...

• Like 2