Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

14 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

So...the consensus is that Aggy never loses unless 1) everyone else is cheating or 2) the kid is a headcase or 3) the people around them are dirty or 4) everyone is jealous of the success they would have and is doing everything in their power to sabotage Aggy out of jealousy.

That's all of the insight I could get out of those Aggy rants.

Kind of the recruiting equivalent of being an incel (definitely no CR).

48 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I can see the aggy "We played the best" t-shirts now.... how proud they should be. Their kids will be talking about this period for generations.

I know it shouldn't perplex me since I've been around aggies my entire life, but holy shit this kind of thing still throws me for a loop. They're proud of losing. Like, really, truly proud of losing as though it's an asset and other people should be jealous. It's akin to us bragging about giving LSU their toughest game of the year - which we're not doing because IT WAS A FUCKING LOSS. Amazing. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know it shouldn't perplex me since I've been around aggies my entire life, but holy shit this kind of thing still throws me for a loop. They're proud of losing. Like, really, truly proud of losing as though it's an asset and other people should be jealous. It's akin to us bragging about giving LSU their toughest game of the year - which we're not doing because IT WAS A FUCKING LOSS. Amazing. 

They’re SEC though.  So, they’ve got that going for them!

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Speak for yourself. I’ve got my orange “closest to LSU” shirt in the shopping cart, awaiting the outcome of the last game. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know it shouldn't perplex me since I've been around aggies my entire life, but holy shit this kind of thing still throws me for a loop. They're proud of losing. Like, really, truly proud of losing as though it's an asset and other people should be jealous.

CTJ, you've read Loochie for years. Losing is by far that stupid motherfucker's greatest accomplishment. Some people would say it's monetizing the bullshit he writes, but he's an aggy, and that's like taking candy from a baby.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Speak for yourself. I’ve got my orange “closest to LSU” shirt in the shopping cart, awaiting the outcome of the last game. 

Well that actually works out for you because Auburn played them closer than Texas. Even still if Clemson manages to lose by 1 or 2. You got your bases covered for sure.

Edited by HtownHorn

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Losing is all they know.

• Like 1

Do they....really?
I'm sure their conference is way, way, way worse in the sec than it is in the B12.

Sarcasm aside, I bet their overall record is better since daddy told them to schedule UTSA and lamar and tarleton state every year. If they get only 9 wins next year some BMD may step up and write a check. That would be unacceptable with that schedule.
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Liucci

10:28a 

Staff

AG

Quote:

Would you go over or under 2.5 staff members being replaced this offseason?

Tough call. Replaced wouldn't be the right word, as I expect Finley is leaving on his own to join his friend and former teammate Jeff Lebby (OC) at Ole Miss and pick up a new title along the way.

Quote:

Do we try to sign another RB with Smith playing the way he did?

Yes, I still believe they'll try to add a tailback to the roster between now and next fall. I think the question being posed right now in Bright is whether you go grad transfer or JC/high school addition. What Ainias's bowl showing does is give you the flexibility to pass on a back if a situation arises where you can sign two of the three mega-additions - Javonne Shepherd, McKinnley Jackson or Sedrick Van Pran. Shep has to be eligible for mid-term enrollment so we'll know that one soon, the Ags are still very much in the hunt for Jackson and Van Pran is almost certain to stick with Georgia and a longshot at best.

Quote:

Do you expect Cordarrian back next year?

I'd be surprised to see him back. Not saying it can't or won't happen but he was essentially MIA during bowl season and the lack of use down the stretch caught my attention. Again, I'd be pretty surprised.

Quote:

LSU vs 2012 Texas A&M - who do you have winning that game?

LSU. They're better on defense even though they were shakier earlier in the year. That group still has draft picks and first-rounders on every level and they have so much more speed. Also, Aranda vs Snyder. But, boy, would Manziel throwing to Evans and Swope and Burrow to Jefferson and Chase be incredible to watch or what?

Quote:

What's the best industry story you haven't shared with us?

Let me think on this one and ask me again in the next Q&A.

Quote:

To preface this: This is not an attack on Mond. With Calzada not having a redshirt to burn and King coming in, is the QB job open for competition?

Perfectly fair question and it's not as if you can't say anything negative about Kellen or any player or coach on here. It's the constant fighting that goes on when someone compliments or defends the guy - the attacks on THOSE people - and the way folks also attack anyone being negative that I loathe seeing on these forums. To get to your question, the position will be open just like any and all other positions will during spring ball but I can tell you that I'm all but certain Jimbo Fisher believes his starting quarterback is his senior heading into next season. Zach has a chance to be REALLY damn good and so does Haynes King, who I believe has everything you want in a championship-caliber quarterback. However, Calzada isn't yet ready to push Mond because he's light years behind in terms of understanding the offense and SEC defenses. If you don't think that carries all the weight in the world in Jimbo's mind, you haven't heard anything he's said since he's been here. IMO, if there's a starting QB besides Kellen next fall, it doesn't happen during the off-season (or even close) but rather if your senior isn't producing as expected and the offense is struggling to get things going against teams early that aren't nearly as good as the ones you're going to face later in the season. If that happens and Zach appears to have flipped that switch or King looks like he could be special, then it's something I could see. With all of that said, I think Kellen as a senior is by far the best option entering 2020 and the real task Fisher has on his hands is to figure out what he and Dickey can do in terms of their scheme and offensive attack to get #11 to play the way he does when he's 'on' on a far more consistent basis.

Quote:

Any new Shepherd information?

Nothing new to report but, like I said, things should clear up soon. It all comes down to whether or not his grades/credits from his first semester at Texas will allow him to transfer in at the mid-term so he doesn't have to go the JC route for a year.

Quote:

Off-season question: Will there be a 2020 general uniform update or will the team wear any alternatives in 2020?

No earthly idea on that one. Jimbo isn't big on alternate unis but I guess there's always the possibility of a throwback. That doesn't mean there won't be any uniform changes, just that I don't think you'll see a lot of 'throwbacks.'

Quote:

Can you think of any recent SEC teams that were successful without having some big bruiser running back on their roster?

Texas A&M in 2012? C-Mike looked like it but really wasn't what I'd call a 'big bruiser.' Auburn in 2013? Great back but Tre Mason. I don't even know if I'd call Edwards-Helaire a 'bruiser' and no one thought he was going to be anything special after his sophomore season last fall. Look, the Aggies need to continue to push to improve the running back room but an improved Spiller plus possibly an Ainias/Devon Achane duo could be pretty productive. Losing Corbin and possibly Richardson will hurt until we see answers proving otherwise, there's no two ways around it.

Quote:

What do you think Jimbo will focus on most this offseason (loaded question, I know)?

I believe it will be adjusting on offense to be more explosive and to play to the strengths of his QB. Nothing like any sort of overhaul but just making some changes to make the Ags a little more dangerous and difficult to defend. Getting more speed, home run threats and 'separation' guys on the field is a big part of it but Fisher knows he can do some things differently to open it up. The offense struggled in at least 7 of 12 games this fall so Jimbo knows he's got to tinker some. Right there at the top, you'll also find fixing the offensive line issue.

Quote:

Edit: Also, thank you for your time in doing these Q&A's.

Always welcome!

Quote:

This isn't a Jimbo criticism because I see a method to letting the play clock run down but it seems we are kind of tipping a defense to be ready to rush as the clock approaches zero. Do we see more variation in that next year?

Yes, I think so. See above.

Quote:

Does this team roll into Alabama undefeated next year?

I just have a hard time seeing them make that big of a jump. I say one loss heading into Bama but I'm going to throw a changeup at you and say A&M beats LSU at home to close it out and finishes 10-2. How's that for an early prediction?

Quote:

Other than OL, what other position group needs to take it to the next level for us to be more consistent?

I think wide receiver and corner. Tough for me to pick one. I look around the country during these bowls and see guys making unreal catches several times per game every game. I also see guys beating coverage and, when they don't, making contested grabs. Part of it has to do with Kellen taking more downfield shots (with Jimbo dialing it up, of course) but the Ags need to get more guys open and those same guys need to win more of the 50/50 balls than they do.

Quote:

Why is Tannehill so underrated by so many Aggies?

I think part of it is because he's kind of been disconnected from A&M since he left. That definitely plays a role. Ryan loves Aggieland and I hope everyone understands that, but he's just not been at many (if any) games since he left and just isn't the kind of guy who goes wild on social media, etc. I think it's that and the fact that right as he was leaving so much changed at A&M that maybe he didn't have that direct line or folks reaching out early in his NFL career so that could have played a role, as well. It coincided with Johnny Mania, a coaching change and the move to the SEC and you look up and Tanney is three years into a successful starting career in the NFL. I do think the Aggie fan base as a whole should appreciate what the guy is not only doing in the league with the Titans right now but what he did during his time in College Station - as a 900-yard receiver AND a top-10 draft pick at QB, mind you - and how he's always represented TAMU even if in a very understated manner. He's a real family man and one of those guys we'll see around a lot more when his playing days are done.

Quote:

Early thoughts on our defense next year and who will be key contributors.

Well we know who the key guys returning will be so I'll answer this with new contributors. Jaylon Jones is going to be tough to keep out of the starting lineup, in my opinion, and so will Erick Young as a safety. Up front, I think we'll continue to see more out of Martin and Tyree Johnson as they continue to develop as third-year guys and Brian George coming in at CB out of the JC ranks. I could see any of the three signees at end providing some juice to the pass rush, as well. At linebacker, I'm expecting a sophomore impact from Andre White and I think Antonio Doyle is a year one contributor. A lot more for Mike Elko to work with, that's for sure. And I think Isaiah RaikesAntonio Johnson and Edgerrin Cooper (if the Ags add him!) have star potential, as well. They're beginning to load up on that side of the ball, folks. One more class (2021) away from being across-the-board stacked on defense

Quote:

Any update on Javonne?

See above.

Quote:

It seems that with JMad out, Tyree was able to shine. Any predictions on who else could fill the JMad hole?

I don't think Madubuike being out had anything really to do with Tyree shining. Might have had more to do with him facing a freshman tackle and kicking his butt. Johnson was great in the bowl and it would a tremendous lift to the defense if he was able to build on that success heading into next fall. As for filling Madubuike's shoes, I think it's likely to be DeMarvin and Jayden. Don't sleep on the two true freshmen, either. Derick Hunter played some on Friday and is still very much a young guy on the roster they're excited about and Adarious Jones was looking to be MUCH better than advertised coming out of high school before tearing his ACL early this fall. Elijah Robinson has that position in a very good place right now.

Quote:

Who will be the early entrants?

We've got a list but the current ones include Haynes King, Jaylon Jones, Josh BankheadChris Morris, Antonio Johnson, Fadil Diggs, Isaiah Raikes, Muhsin Muhammad IIIJoshuah MotenDevin Price and Blake Smith off the top of my head. 

Quote:

What have you heard about movement of coaches?

I don't like to speculate, or more specifically, be the one driving this speculation. I'll leave that for the folks who are desperate for the clicks. The one I'll address now is Joe Jon because there's just so much swirling out there about him leaving for Ole Miss and it sounds to me like his guys at A&M are aware of it. I'm not expecting a ton of staff attrition or sweeping changes if that's what you're asking.

Quote:

Position group that you expect the most turnover - ie younger players taking current starters place?

I expect we'll see that in the secondary. A lot of young and new talent coming in and if Blades can get that shoulder right and decides to stick it out, you'll also essentially be adding two 'new' JUCO options at corner.

Quote:

Did this team progress as you expected this year?

Not quite as much as I had hoped. The OL backsliding like it did really was unexpected for me and I thought the Ags would win one of those five big games. If you would have told me 8-4 with a bowl win, it would have been about like I expected. Running game was much worse than I anticipated. Losing Corbin to injury early was a big blow even though Spiller really did a nice job once he settled in. I've said it before and I'll say it again, myself and everyone else underestimated losing ten to NFL rosters and then backing that up with a team starting just one senior position player. Combine that with facing Clemson, Auburn and Bama so early and it proved to be just too tall an order. Not as much progress as I expected but I would by no means call this fall a step back. I've said it from day one and still believe it: 2020 is the breakthrough and then it gets nothing but better from there.

Quote:

Is this team on track to have a breakthrough season next year?

Yep. See above. It's not a guarantee so they're going to have to improve because games against teams like South Carolina, Ole Miss (new coach and energy and a dangerous QB), Miss State in Starkville (even though they look positively hideous right now as I'm watching the Music City Bowl), Colorado (well-coached and tough-minded team coming to Kyle) and even Arkansas and Fresno will not be easy wins unless the Ags' make noticeable strides.

Quote:

Your prediction on how the 2020 class closes out?

Edgerrin Cooper, McKinnley Jackson or Javonne Shepherd and a grad transfer.

Quote:

Watching you do work on the sidelines you are quite the celebrity, but who is someone out of the blue who came up to you that you had no idea they even knew who you were?

I guess it's happened with a couple of Texas country singers I'm a fan of and I'm not sure who else. Maybe some of the Aggie legends from before my time that I'm happy to say have since become good friends of mine. Nothing too crazy in that department. Some national media personalities perhaps.

Quote:

Will Jimbo really open the QB spot to competition or stick with his loyalty to Mond?

He's not going to stick with Kellen out of loyalty. He's going to stick with him barring Mond being completely outperformed to the point that the head coach is convinced that his best chance at winning more games and perhaps a championship rest on the arm and knowledge of the system and SEC defenses of someone else. Fisher wants to win games and eventually a title more than anything else so he's not basing his decision on loyalty but rather what he knows after coaching the position for however many years.

Quote:

Who do you see from the 2019 class make a major step next year? Who from the 2020 class makes a major impact?

Answered the impact 2020s a little while up. Guys from '19 to make a major step? Could be Adarious Jones and Derick Hunter, Erick Young, Baylor Cupp and perhaps Andre White.

Quote:

Also, thanks for everything you and Texags do.

You're very welcome! We all love it and hope you guys are enjoying the holiday content.

Quote:

Did you get my message? I offered to dog sit griffin for New Years.

I appreciate the offer but Dalton has us covered! Thanks again and Happy New Year brother!

Quote:

Are you still thinking a WR or two might declare?

I don't think both will but I could see either Quartney or Kendrick do it. I've made it pretty clear I think it would be a mistake for either to leave a year on the table but I'd be surprised if both returned. I've also heard rumblings that Debione Renfro is considering testing the waters, which would probably end in a free-agent deal. No idea at all if he'll follow through or is just exploring the option.

Quote:

Also, with Moose and Demond Demas coming in and Preston and Chapman still young and talented, do you see more of a wide open competition this spring/fall camp for the 2 deep next year?

It certainly needs to be. Lots of talent at the position that hasn't gotten a shot yet. That becomes especially true if one of the juniors leaves early and if Ainias Smith is used a little more at tailback. Moose is a mid-termer (as is Devin Price) and Demas is an off-the-charts talent and the Ags redshirted some real talent at the position so I think it's best for Dameyune Craig to throw things wide open when it comes to competition at the position.

Quote:

Bobby Brown, do they ask him to drop weight this offseason?

Based on a recent tweet by the sophomore, it sounds like he's determined to shed some pounds in an attempt to be the best interior defender he can be. I think it will help him out quite a bit. He seemed to struggle carrying the extra weight this fall.

Quote:

Do you think he jumps for NFL $ after next year?

He'll have to have a heck of a year. Not starting off quite at the same point as Madubuike was entering this season. However, Bobby's physical skill set and size are first-round type stuff. Personally, I think Brown leaves A&M as a first- or second-round pick but after a breakthrough junior season and a dominant, All-SEC senior campaign.

Quote:

Why don't we get more credit for bringing the Big dumpster closer together as a conference?

Haha, this is a pretty accurate assessment. It is funny how fans of the League of Toads like to poke fun at SEC fans for supporting their league brethren and conference pride yet these buffoons rally together to root against A&M and the best conference in the country.

Quote:

How close are Luke Matthews and Tank to breaking into the offensive line?

Luke has a legitimate shot to start next year on the interior, probably with his best shot being in the middle. He wasn't quite ready this fall as a redshirt freshman but still has plenty of potential and the look of a multi-year starter up front. Tank has been injured and I've noticed him not suited up multiple times this fall. He still has a lot of developing to do.

Quote:

What is the biggest difference you have seen in Jimbo's approach to building a program compared to previous regimes?

I think I've answered this one in pretty good detail fairly recently if someone wants to pull it up. From the last couple of chats if I had to guess.

Quote:

It's been discussed on the lack of a deep threat and overall lack of explosive athletes on the roster, particularly on offense. Had there been an emphasis on size

There was and it's also the way it's gone with the guys A&M has missed in recent seasons. Missed on Etienne and Dobbins in the backfield, Lamb and Cleveland and Waddle at WR, those are just right off the top of my head. Size hasn't necessarily been an emphasis but that's how it worked out.

Quote:

6 True Freshmen saw multiple starts over upperclassmen from Jimbo's first full recruiting class. In 2022 there will be 4 years of that level of talent across the roster.

I don't think there's any question about that. Look at the last two classes he's signed. Look at his history in more than a decade as a head coach. All he does is recruit top-6 classes or better. And the evaluations are already looking like they are top-notch, as well.

Quote:

When will our fan base ever come to the realization that the level of talent Jimbo is bringing in will reap amazing seasons 2021 and beyond? I understand people get caught up in the negativity but the people taking shots at Jimbo in year 2 baffles me.

It blows my mind, as well. Been a disappointing fall to see the reaction of some who just want to yell and scream every chance they get. It just feels as if folks want to will this thing to not work because it's weird comfort zone they've fallen into. I would say they're going to be disappointed but they won't be. They'll be right there with the rest of you celebrating when Fisher gets it right and wins big in Aggieland. Just like the article in the Houston Chronicle today (though the author obviously isn't an A&M fan) was so bad it was laughable. Do these people not understand anything about the situation in College Station and the direction of things under Jimbo? And what the Ags were working with - and against - this year with one senior and the schedule, etc???

Quote:

2nd question: Once Jimbo has 4 years of recruiting classes on campus will 9 wins be the floor expectation?

I don't think that's an unfair expectation at all. Again, if this thing doesn't start trending decidedly up next fall (not saying it has to result in a playoff or championship, but decidedly up as in you'll know it when you see it) then I get it. But not now. Not after year two and two bowl wins, all that they did in year one and the recruiting that continues under the national championship head coach.

Quote:

I realize the bowl game plan was to run the ball, and Mond was able to win this game with his legs...Can we expect Jimbo to build an offense that utilizes the "dual" threat ability of Mond for his senior year? I love Mond's toughness and heart, but we can't expect him to suddenly become a 60% passer at this point, can we? He will never be a pure pocket passer (which I assume is what Jimbo would prefer, running a "pro-style" offense? Thanks for doing these Billy!!!

I mean, he was a 62% passer this year but I get your point. I do think building things more around Kellen's running ability and also maybe letting him play and direct the offense a little more quickly and up-tempo would help. You have to somehow capture what it is that leads to him thriving late in games, or when the Ags are trying to move the ball quickly through the air when behind or down the stretch against Clemson and LSU in 2018 and at Georgia this year and make that a more common occurrence out of #11.

Quote:

Will you comment on the speed that the 2019 class is bringing?

There's lots of it. At defensive end. At safety. At linebacker. At tailback. At receiver. At quarterback. This class combined with last year's group will go a long way towards closing a gap that has played a very big role in the Ags coming up short against the likes of Bama. LSU, Clemson, UGA and Auburn.

Quote:

Thanks for doing these and happy new year.

You're welcome and right back at you! Happy New Year!

Quote:

Was Prater our best OL this year?

I don't really know. Maybe Carson Green?

Quote:

Which of our returning OL starters is most likely to start again next year? Assume Kenyon is at Tackle..

Both Greens and Moore are the most likely, IMO.

Quote:

Are there any big time OOS RB's looking at us for next year's class?

Amari Daniels from Miami Central is at the top of the list. He's a big fan of Jimbo and has been for a long time and camped in Aggieland last summer. I think he's one who will seriously consider choosing the Maroon & White.

Quote:

Looking at what we currently have on campus and the way we've been recruiting the position, what year can we begin to expect to begin to field upper echelon SEC offensive lines and is it reasonable to expect to contend SEC and national titles before this?

It's tough to contend for the big prizes before that but I think even getting to a solid OL next year could result in a New Year's Six bowl and even bowl win. I think it might be 2021 and '22 when you start seeing those 'national title' caliber Maroon Goon OLs. The Class of 2021 is vitally important to this formula, of course.

Quote:

If you had to choose one TexAgs staff member to cook you dinner every night for the rest of your life, who would you choose and why?

Damn sure not Brauny. I wouldn't ever get any vegetables.

11 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

I wonder if their RB coach is about to bail too, prompting so many of their RB's to leave.  FSU seems to have filled every opening except RB coach and Corbin who followed him to ATM is headed there. 

Is their DL coach from NJ leaving for Rutgers?

FCB and Burton mentioned Elijah Robinson (aggy DL coach from NJ) for the Texas DL position - but there is also the possibility that he could re-unite with Rhule in the NFL if Rhule takes the Giants job.

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

LSU vs 2012 Texas A&M - who do you have winning that game?

LSU. They're better on defense even though they were shakier earlier in the year. That group still has draft picks and first-rounders on every level and they have so much more speed. Also, Aranda vs Snyder. But, boy, would Manziel throwing to Evans and Swope and Burrow to Jefferson and Chase be incredible to watch or what?

Fucking really? 

Hey Luicci, who would win between our 2 loss best team evaaar and the undefeated most likely national champions this year who just beat BlowU in the semifinal be 50 points?

• Like 1