Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You talk as if you believe LSU isn’t still in the mix. 

They seem pretty focused on Jhamyr Gibbs <sp> from what we've seen, right? Then again, they did take Marcel Brooks last cycle, so their tolerance for fuckheads seems non-existent, and the people of Louisiana would probably view Evan's early efforts at graft and corruption as evidence of a kindred spirit for their entire shit-heap of a culture and state. So who knows. My gut just feels like this is all aTm. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

They seem pretty focused on Jhamyr Gibbs <sp> from what we've seen, right? Then again, they did take Marcel Brooks last cycle, so their tolerance for fuckheads seems non-existent, and the people of Louisiana would probably view Evan's early efforts at graft and corruption as evidence of a kindred spirit for their entire shit-heap of a culture and state. So who knows. My gut just feels like this is all aTm. 

What I just read on this site makes me think there’s a pretty good fight for Gibbs, that Texas wants to get into but he’s not having it.  Then again it’s 9.95 so it could be the opposite of what is going on. 

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m confused on the NLI rules. He can’t sign 2, but if the first one wasn’t submitted then does that mean it never happened?  Did Georgia file it?

He signed and sent it to Georgia, and Georgia submitted. Georgia is trying to void it. The questions are, if they're able to void it 

1) Do they get to keep that class counter?

2) Is Evans immediately eligible

3) Is Evans able to sign another LOI? If not, then he just shows up to whatever campus he wants to if he qualifies, and this thing lasts until freshmen report in early summer or early fall 

If Evans is really milking the process for all it’s worth, he won’t sign another and will wait until after NSD2 to start asking for best bids. He can continue up until he enrolls somewhere. It’s like Bryce brown- a highly talented rb just out there for the taking after all the others are locked up. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You can't allow someone to change the standard for how business is conducted. If money is paid, the hand is played. Word gets out that: "if you're good enough, you can fuck over any school you want" or "Georgia can be taken for a ride" and suddenly the school(s) has lost all control of the process.

Georgia is as fucked up and corrupt in the recruiting game right now as anyone except, apparently, ATM and probably soon to be Ole Miss (again), but they can't take a semi-public depantsing from a recruit and their faction, no matter how good the recruit may be. In this situation, putting Zack Evans' head on a spike and parading it around for all of the agents and handlers to see serves as a good cautionary tale with corrupt recruitments going forward. 

I expect a Maurice Clarrett-level career arc for Evans. ATM will find a way to get him in. He'll be celebrated by the ignorant non-recruiting CFB media as a recruiting coup for ol'Jimbo and a sure-fire sign that "the sleeping giant has awoken!!!! root toot!! hullabaloo caneck caneck!!! yackety sax!!". They'll do what they can to feed him the rock in 2020 and if he stays healthy, he'll have a great season for an 11-2 team. Everyone will keep telling him how amazing he is until gloriously fucks something up in the offseason through his arrogance and penchant for doing whatever the fuck he wants, irrespective of consequences. He'll then eventually wind up fringing NFL rosters before winding up on a porch in Galena Park or prison. The whole way through all of that, there will be occasional sympathy stories from your Tom Rinaldi types that pop up every year or two.

Got damn the SEC is unreal, if this is the case. Makes sense. 

8 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Why doesn't Georgia just go ahead and bring him in...see if he can follow instructions/directions and if he fucks up...put him in the portal....or has he totally burned all bridges with Ga?

To me, that is the biggest red flag Evans has... Georgia no longer wants him. 

So if ATM (the school or recruiting moniker) is the destination you'll have a kid - his high school team doesn't want hanging around, various college programs no longer want hanging around... going to a school where it seems that all their returning RBs don't want to hang around.

And to CTJs point about Georgia sending a message to future recruits...unless they can somehow get that roster spot back this year, I'd imagine they wouldn't release him (i.e., whatever that means in the context about him not having to sit a year). If they're losing the spot AND trying to send a message, they wouldn't just let him just walk away and immediately play somewhere else.

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Georgia must be running up against their scholarship limits and still have a couple key guys they want/need and have decided Evans is too much risk to give him a coveted spot.

27 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Unless they never filed the NLI, I don't think they can get the spot back.

Boy, you two are really on top of this story. 

Spoiler

Liucci

3:27p 

Staff

AG

-Kudos to Jimbo Fisher, Mike Elko and Austin Thomas. on getting out in front of things and signing Covington (LA) linebacker Edgerrin Cooper during the December period. As we reported prior to and confirmed through our sources again following his visit, the head coach and DC were completely sold on the fact that the 6-3, 215-pounder was an outstanding prospect who could develop into a front seven difference-maker in the SEC trenches. You just don't turn a player like that away, regardless of the numbers and especially when we're still talking about a position that was still in need of some high-end help. Cooper not only makes the linebacker room better, he teams with Antonio Doyle to give the Aggies two exceptional additions at the position the 2020 cycle...probably the most impressive two additions at the top of a class at the position that the Ags have signed since joining their new league.  

Cooper reminds me a lot of the guys we've seen the Aggies have to play against over the past eight seasons in that he'll soon check in at 6-3 or better and north of 240 pounds while still being able to play standing up and run from sideline to sideline or rush the passer off the edge. He's like the cats we've grown used to seeing at Alabama and Auburn over the past few years, as is Antonio Doyle. Quite the haul at a position that has proven tough for the Ags to recruit for far too long. Here's hoping those days are behind us.

Again, a very smart play by Fisher and Elko to go on a guy that they had zero doubts about and viewed as an impact signee. Forget the numbers, had you not gone on Cooper during the early signing period, you'd be fighting off as many power programs for him as you're going to be for McKinnley Jackson down the January stretch. Texas had offered, LSU was next and anyone in the SEC with multiple 'ships available would have quickly followed.

Watch the former OU commit's highlights here and listen to what I had to say about the four-star Aggie today on TexAgs Radio, as well.

-A lot of you have been wondering what's left to add in January and what the Ags' options are. I checked again last night just to be sure and the Aggies are still working with just two spots for 'initial counters' this year so it really doesn't appear there is wiggle room. As for options, we're still looking at these possibles:

Zach Evans
Javonne Shepherd
McKinnley Jackson
A running back if you don't land Evans
Grad transfer

So not a lot to say that Brauny already didn't regarding Evans because I believe he posted a combination of our notes last night. Though nothing has been 'officially' verified by this outlet or any other, everything I've heard since the early signing period is that Zach inked his LOI with Georgia. A lot has gone on behind the scenes since then (on the Evans/UGA side since teams like A&M, LSU and even OU have been unable to contact the five-star back since he's signed) and the word out of Athens the past few days has been that Kirby Smart and the Dawgs intend to release Zach - either from his LOI or period since technically they may have never submitted it. If that happens - and we're hearing that could occur as early as today - then Evans is once again available and can choose to play anywhere. At this point, I think A&M could safely be considered the favorite to land the state's best back, though we've seen several times now that anything can and probably will happen during this particularly wild recruitment.

If Evans is able to have things in order enough to be a mid-term enrollee (which is still a possibility though not talked about of late), then I'd go so far as to say I'd be shocked if the North Shore runner was NOT on campus in College Station in the next 7-10 days.

I've maintained from day one with Zach that his recruitment was never going to end early and that Texas A&M would be right there at the finish line with a real shot to sign him because of his relationship with Jimbo Fisher. That relationship has been the one constant in Evans' five-star recruitment over the past year-plus and it's still going to factor in before all is said and done. It's also the reason why I've cautioned everyone countless times despite Evans at one time leaving the Ags outside of his top-5, rumors of him committing to UGA, LSU and Bama at various other points along the way and even when he was rumored to be announcing in favor of the Ags last last summer. Just sit tight and enjoy the ride was my advice then and it's still my advice today.

Hearing that we should have a much clearer picture of Javonne's situation this week and at least one source told me over the past couple of days that the word on the street is that the big offensive tackle is looking more and more likely to be able to transfer into a P5 program this month without having to take the Junior College detour. If that's the case, he's still very much a take for the Ags.

As far as a grad transfer goes, the Ags could eventually go in any of several directions if there is room for one more spring add. Providing Jay Graham with one more veteran addition at tailback will certainly be discussed if the Ags don't hit on Evans and are unable to ink a guy they believe is worthy of carries in the SEC West. Another option would obviously be a proven veteran on the o-line and a specific name to monitor would be Quincy Roche. The AAC Defensive Player of the Year, who was recruited by current A&M assistant Elijah Robinson to Temple, announced last week his intentions to grad transfer for his final season of eligibility. Roche would have been selected somewhere around the 4th or 5th round of this year's NFL Draft but wants to test himself against the best in his final season of eligibility after totaling 18 TFLs and 13 sacks this fall for the Owls. There is mutual interest but Roche tweeted last night that he's expecting to reach a decision by the end of this week, which doesn't feel like it would fit the Ags' timeline of events. The real question here - and one that the Aggies certainly have to evaluate on tape and answer - is whether Roche's one-year impact would be enough to pass on a potential three-year difference maker at left tackle, running back or on the defensive interior.

-Weekend rumors of Texas pursuing defensive tackles coach Elijah Robinson were accurate but he's going to remain with Jimbo Fisher in Aggieland, which is a very good thing for multiple reasons...the biggest of which have to do with Robinson being an elite recruiter and an excellent coach. He's the type of guy you fight with everything you have to hold on to.

-Losing Quartney Davis to the NFL didn't surprise anyone inside the program, as Q has been leaning that way since the end of last season. He's been on campus for four years, fought through an ACL injury and rehab and recently graduated. The thought of upping his draft stock with a stellar senior year never seemed like something that interested him. Just because it was expected doesn't mean Jimbo Fisher and the Ags didn't try to convince the big-play receiver to stick around. Fisher met with Quartney last week but the projected third-rounder's mind was made up. My bet is we see Davis up his stock during the process and end up pushing his way into the second before all is said and done. 

While there's a good chance that the Ags' list of early entrants ends with Davis and Justin Madubuike, junior wideout Kendrick Rogers is still one to watch between now and the January 20 early draft entry deadline. Like Daivs, Rogers entered the season thinking this would be his final run in Aggieland but he's not projected to be selected in the top half of the upcoming draft, which could (and should) lead to a lot of careful consideration before making the leap.

-Finally, I'm hearing that the possibility that Jimbo Fisher will 'make the station lit again' is very real but I've also confirmed that - as of last night - that was not yet a done deal. With that said, I would expect things done on the tight end front in fairly short order (as in this week), one way or the other.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

-Kudos to Jimbo Fisher, Mike Elko and Austin Thomas. on getting out in front of things and signing Covington (LA) linebacker Edgerrin Cooper during the December period. As we reported prior to and confirmed through our sources again following his visit, the head coach and DC were completely sold on the fact that the 6-3, 215-pounder was an outstanding prospect who could develop into a front seven difference-maker in the SEC trenches. You just don't turn a player like that away, regardless of the numbers and especially when we're still talking about a position that was still in need of some high-end help. Cooper not only makes the linebacker room better, he teams with Antonio Doyle to give the Aggies two exceptional additions at the position the 2020 cycle...probably the most impressive two additions at the top of a class at the position that the Ags have signed since joining their new league.  

Cooper reminds me a lot of the guys we've seen the Aggies have to play against over the past eight seasons in that he'll soon check in at 6-3 or better and north of 240 pounds while still being able to play standing up and run from sideline to sideline or rush the passer off the edge. He's like the cats we've grown used to seeing at Alabama and Auburn over the past few years, as is Antonio Doyle. Quite the haul at a position that has proven tough for the Ags to recruit for far too long. Here's hoping those days are behind us.

Again, a very smart play by Fisher and Elko to go on a guy that they had zero doubts about and viewed as an impact signee. Forget the numbers, had you not gone on Cooper during the early signing period, you'd be fighting off as many power programs for him as you're going to be for McKinnley Jackson down the January stretch. Texas had offered, LSU was next and anyone in the SEC with multiple 'ships available would have quickly followed.

Watch the former OU commit's highlights here and listen to what I had to say about the four-star Aggie today on TexAgs Radio, as well.

-A lot of you have been wondering what's left to add in January and what the Ags' options are. I checked again last night just to be sure and the Aggies are still working with just two spots for 'initial counters' this year so it really doesn't appear there is wiggle room. As for options, we're still looking at these possibles:

Zach Evans
Javonne Shepherd
McKinnley Jackson
Grad transfer

So not a lot to say that Brauny already didn't regarding Evans because I believe he posted a combination of our notes last night. Though nothing has been 'officially' verified by this outlet or any other, everything I've heard since the early signing period is that Zach inked his LOI with Georgia. A lot has gone on behind the scenes since then (on the Evans/UGA side since teams like A&M, LSU and even OU have been unable to contact the five-star back since he's signed) and the word out of Athens the past few days has been that Kirby Smart and the Dawgs intend to release Zach - either from his LOI or period since technically they may have never submitted it. If that happens - and we're hearing that could occur as early as today - then Evans is once again available and can choose to play anywhere. At this point, I think A&M could safely be considered the favorite to land the state's best back, though we've seen several times now that anything can and probably will happen during this particularly wild recruitment.

If Evans is able to have things in order enough to be a mid-term enrollee (which is still a possibility though not talked about of late), then I'd go so far as to say I'd be shocked if the North Shore runner was NOT on campus in College Station in the next 7-10 days.

I've maintained from day one with Zach that his recruitment was never going to end early and that Texas A&M would be right there at the finish line with a real shot to sign him because of his relationship with Jimbo Fisher. That relationship has been the one constant in Evans' five-star recruitment over the past year-plus and it's still going to factor in before all is said and done. It's also the reason why I've cautioned everyone countless times despite Evans at one time leaving the Ags outside of his top-5, rumors of him committing to UGA, LSU and Bama at various other points along the way and even when he was rumored to be announcing in favor of the Ags last last summer. Just sit tight and enjoy the ride was my advice then and it's still my advice today.

Hearing that we should have a much clearer picture of Javonne's situation this week and at least one source told me over the past couple of days that the word on the street is that the big offensive tackle is looking more and more likely to be able to transfer into a P5 program this month without having to take the Junior College detour. If that's the case, he's still very much a take for the Ags.

As far as a grad transfer goes, the Ags could eventually go in any of several directions if there is room for one more spring add. Providing Jay Graham with one more veteran addition at tailback will certainly be discussed if the Ags don't hit on Evans and are unable to ink a guy they believe is worthy of carries in the SEC West. Another option would obviously be a proven veteran on the o-line and a specific name to monitor would be Quincy Roche. The AAC Defensive Player of the Year, who was recruited by current A&M assistant Elijah Robinson to Temple, announced last week his intentions to grad transfer for his final season of eligibility. Roche would have been selected somewhere around the 4th or 5th round of this year's NFL Draft but wants to test himself against the best in his final season of eligibility after totaling 18 TFLs and 13 sacks this fall for the Owls. There is mutual interest but Roche tweeted last night that he's expecting to reach a decision by the end of this week, which doesn't feel like it would fit the Ags' timeline of events. The real question here - and one that the Aggies certainly have to evaluate on tape and answer - is whether Roche's one-year impact would be enough to pass on a potential three-year difference maker at left tackle, running back or on the defensive interior.

-Weekend rumors of Texas pursuing defensive tackles coach Elijah Robinson were accurate but he's going to remain with Jimbo Fisher in Aggieland, which is a very good thing for multiple reasons...the biggest of which have to do with Robinson being an elite recruiter and an excellent coach. He's the type of guy you fight with everything you have to hold on to.

-Losing Quartney Davis to the NFL didn't surprise anyone inside the program, as Q has been leaning that way since the end of last season. He's been on campus for four years, fought through an ACL injury and rehab and recently graduated. The thought of upping his draft stock with a stellar senior year never seemed like something that interested him. Just because it was expected doesn't mean Jimbo Fisher and the Ags didn't try to convince the big-play receiver to stick around. Fisher met with Quartney last week but the projected third-rounder's mind was made up. My bet is we see Davis up his stock during the process and end up pushing his way into the second before all is said and done. 

While there's a good chance that the Ags' list of early entrants ends with Davis and Justin Madubuike, junior wideout Kendrick Rogers is still one to watch between now and the January 20 early draft entry deadline. Like Daivs, Rogers entered the season thinking this would be his final run in Aggieland but he's not projected to be selected in the top half of the upcoming draft, which could (and should) lead to a lot of careful consideration before making the leap.

-Finally, I'm hearing that the possibility that Jimbo Fisher will 'make the station lit again' is very real but I've also confirmed that - as of last night - that was not yet a done deal. With that said, I would expect things done on the tight end front in fairly short order (as in this week), one way or the other.

That spin on Evans is just beautiful. Good job aggy for hanging around the dirtiest recruitment in years and being literally the last available option and desperate enough to take him when literally no one else is desperate enough. The “big win for the ags landing Evans” article will be one for the ages

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I've maintained from day one with Zach that his recruitment was never going to end early and that Texas A&M would be right there at the finish line with a real shot to sign him because of his relationship with Jimbo Fisher. That relationship has been the one constant in Evans' five-star recruitment over the past year-plus and it's still going to factor in before all is said and done.

Ho lee shit. Pure comedic theater

59 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

an outstanding prospect who could develop into a front seven difference-maker in the SEC trenches. You just don't turn a player like that away, regardless of the numbers a...probably the most impressive two additions at the top of a class at the position that the Ags have signed since joining their new league.  

... Forget the numbers, had you not gone on Cooper during the early signing period, you'd be fighting off as many power programs for him... LSU was next and anyone in the SEC with multiple 'ships available would have quickly followed.

He's laying on the SEC stuff pretty thick. What a toady.

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

Zach Evans
Javonne Shepherd
McKinnley Jackson
Grad transfer

BestLooch  quote on Evans:

"I have maintained from day one with Zach that his recruitment was never going to end early and that Texas A&M would be right there at the finish line with a real shot to sign him because of his relationship with Jimbo Fisher."

Wow

So is A&M going to lobby to have him count as part of this year's class if he signed an NLI with another school? I vaguely remember them not wanting that to happen based on a situation that may or may not have arisen last year with Texas. We'll see if they want to be consistent or not.

Maybe some mentioned that already. Maybe they didn't.

Two things about the Evans saga with aggy could still be hilarious:

1) watching them maneuver the fifth straight 180 if he ends up going somewhere else (they loved him, then hated him when he left them off his top 5, then loved him when he showed interest again, then absolutely loathed him when they thought he committed to Georgia, and now love him again for being forced to consider aggy for lack of other options)

2) if he does end up committing to aggy, he will have gotten nothing from the wish list he's talked about for the last year (playing with George, a school with a great offensive line class coming in and history of putting elite backs in the NFL). Georgia had everything other than George. aggy has none, and actually has the opposite of his list in terms of oline and history of elite backs.

So as a direct result of his own fucking around, he'll have lost the chance to go to the school that best met his wish list, and ended up at one that is as far from his list as you could imagine. You just hate to see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Two things about the Evans saga with aggy could still be hilarious:

1) watching them maneuver the fifth straight 180 if he ends up going somewhere else (they loved him, then hated him when he left them off his top 5, then loved him when he showed interest again, then absolutely loathed him when they thought he committed to Georgia, and now love him again for being forced to consider aggy for lack of other options)

2) if he does end up committing to aggy, he will have gotten nothing from the wish list he's talked about for the last year (playing with George, a school with a great offensive line class coming in and history of putting elite backs in the NFL). Georgia had everything other than George. aggy has none, and actually has the opposite of his list in terms of oline and history of elite backs.

So as a direct result of his own fucking around, he'll have lost the chance to go to the school that best met his wish list, and ended up at one that is as far from his list as you could imagine. You just hate to see it.

Why do you think he went on National Television begging the Georgia coaches to let him commit?

This Zach Evans crap is exhausting, but I just want to say that I would love for him to go to aggy. Not only does he have all the hope crushing qualities we look for in an aggy signee, but it would make for an excellent case study having both of our programs sign a 5 star RB in the same class. Being able to point to Robinson's success versus Evans' will go a long way in recruiting future blue chip RBs.

7 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

This Zach Evans crap is exhausting, but I just want to say that I would love for him to go to aggy. Not only does he have all the hope crushing qualities we look for in an aggy signee, but it would make for an excellent case study having both of our programs sign a 5 star RB in the same class. Being able to point to Robinson's success versus Evans' will go a long way in recruiting future blue chip RBs.

My favorite scenario is him stringing them along until August, and then picking a different school. My second favorite is both he and Shepherd going to A&M and washing out after a year. 

• Like 1

Boy, you two are really on top of this story. 

Went back several pages and read a few articles before I made that post. Read a few more articles today. I still can’t figure out if UGA filed his NLI. Everything I read is about them trying to release him from it. That would indicate they did file it, but it could also just be $9.95er jargon.

Since you seem to think you are more on top of it than I am, can you clarify for me? Is it like Baylor/Duv where it turned out he could just walk? Or did they file it, and now they’re both trying to find a way to undo it? And if there is a way to undo it, does he then have to portal and sit (and request a waiver)? Does he get to sign again on NSD2 or just show up and enroll somewhere in the fall?

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Went back several pages and read a few articles before I made that post. Read a few more articles today. I still can’t figure out if UGA filed his NLI. Everything I read is about them trying to release him from it. That would indicate they did file it, but it could also just be $9.95er jargon.

Since you seem to think you are more on top of it than I am, can you clarify for me? Is it like Baylor/Duv where it turned out he could just walk? Or did they file it, and now they’re both trying to find a way to undo it? And if there is a way to undo it, does he then have to portal and sit (and request a waiver)? Does he get to sign again on NSD2 or just show up and enroll somewhere in the fall?

Georgia filed the LOI, and is trying to void it in hopes of getting that spot in the class back 

7 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

9.95ers dont know anything and I don't have any special information here. But with the certainty with which everyone has had that he's not going to end up in GA's class, from all sides, it seems pretty likely that they never filed his paperwork. Duvernay could walk because they never filed his paperwork because of recruiting violations. It seems like GA didn't file his because Head Case. If there's no way to undo it, then I don't think the GA side would have been so confident/adamant that he wasn't going to be a part of the class. If they have to eat the scholarship, they'd let him on campus and roll the dice he straightens up and contributes, otherwise they'd push him to portal out after the spring semester. 

They might have filed and want to find a way to void it, but if that were the case, I'd assume they'd be hedging their bets on that and still be willing to take him in their class if they fail. This doesn't seem to be the case. 

If he's released, it depends upon the circumstances of why, but if they just didn't file his paperwork, he could probably sign with someone at NSD2, but he also wouldn't have to, he could just show up on the campus of his choice in the fall while this circus continues into the summer. Granted it's Texags, but they seem quite confident that Evans will be on aTm campus in the next week to 10 days. There's no way that happens unless GA just never filed his paperwork. All the little signs seem to indicate that they just never filed it. 

Edited by SydneyCarton