Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

22 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

In the PP (post portal) era, corches probably have to keep recruiting the damn recruits even when they're on campus, especially the ones with talent who know (or think they know) they have talent.

It makes one long for the days when coaches could just promise anything, lie to and trick the damn kids to signing for 4 years and then they were stuck amirite?

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jimbo Fisher has sent, what, had 2 total WR's drafted as Head Coach?  That's just a staggeringly low amount considering I know that guy was signing talented WRs at Florida State.

3 total as a head coach, only one of which was a 1st rounder (Kelvin Benjamin)

His offense has an overly complicated route tree that makes is damn near impossible to see playing time as a freshman or sophomore.

Alleva never would have hired Fisher

When LSU made the move to fire Les Miles during the 2016 season, a now-SEC coach was the name most commonly bandied about as Miles’ replacement with the Tigers.

While current LSU coach Ed Orgeron took over as the interim coach following Miles’ firing on Sept. 25, 2016, there were many folks who thought Orgeron was only going to be a placeholder coach until the end of the season when the school found a guy like Jimbo Fisher to take over the program.

On the surface, Fisher to LSU made a lot of sense. He was a former LSU assistant and was the team’s offensive coordinator when the Tigers won the national title over Notre Dame after the 2006 season before moving to Florida State.

But according to former LSU athletic director Joe Alleva, Fisher was never an option. Not even at the end of the 2015 season, when Miles’ grip on his job was tenuous as the Tigers beat Texas A&M 19-7 to cap off a 9-3 regular season.

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The scholarship distribution feature on 247 is really eye opening sometimes

For example, A&M's OT 

image.png.e09e8cbaf531153521b130894819c8df.png

B. Trainor (Florida dead weight of higher recruit that decommited from Aggy)

who?

He is from Hallsville, TX.

6'7, 330 lbs. 64th rated OT.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Dame Craig is a hell of a WR bagman/recruiter 

Given the production over the years, he looks like one of the classic "all recruiting/no coaching" types for his unit. He's also a despicable piece of human shit in every way from what I've heard, so I don't actually mind his sorry ass at ATM.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jimbo Fisher has sent, what, had 2 total WR's drafted as Head Coach?  That's just a staggeringly low amount considering I know that guy was signing talented WRs at Florida State.

Without checking, and I'm sure someone will correct us if we're wrong, I think he's had 3 drafted. I can't remember if any were drafted last year, but either way, measly results for highly ranked unit recruiting. 

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

It makes one long for the days when coaches could just promise anything, lie to and trick the damn kids to signing for 4 years and then they were stuck amirite?

I think we're seeing the problems with that behavior manifest at Georgia under Smart right now. He's going to have to adjust at some point, but I doubt he will. He's losing guys in the portal every year that were critical to their plans. He's losing guys early to the NFL with almost no one interested in the team commitment of playing in the bowl. He may be a younger Jimbo in his career arc, probably without a national title, to boot.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The scholarship distribution feature on 247 is really eye opening sometimes

For example, A&M's OT 

image.png.e09e8cbaf531153521b130894819c8df.png

K.Diesch has been passed over and C. Blanton will probably medically retire. 

That leaves current starters D. Moore, C. Green, Loochi NFL prospect K. Green that now plays guard, B. Trainor (Florida dead weight of higher recruit that decommited from Aggy) and C. Morris (really a guard)

And of course Javonnne Shephard (if he qualifies)

Diesch is already in the transfer portal.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I think we're seeing the problems with that behavior manifest at Georgia under Smart right now. He's going to have to adjust at some point, but I doubt he will. He's losing guys in the portal every year that were critical to their plans. He's losing guys early to the NFL with almost no one interested in the team commitment of playing in the bowl. He may be a younger Jimbo in his career arc, probably without a national title, to boot.

But that chili bowl haircut tho

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Given the production over the years, he looks like one of the classic "all recruiting/no coaching" types for his unit. He's also a despicable piece of human shit in every way from what I've heard, so I don't actually mind his sorry ass at ATM.

He's also dumb enough to burn bridges at schools he could potentially work at (again)

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Kirby might eventually have issues keeping the roster relatively full, although I guess the way around that is to pay PWOs who then use that money to pay for tuition 

7 minutes ago, TBGFL said:

Alleva never would have hired Fisher

When LSU made the move to fire Les Miles during the 2016 season, a now-SEC coach was the name most commonly bandied about as Miles’ replacement with the Tigers.

While current LSU coach Ed Orgeron took over as the interim coach following Miles’ firing on Sept. 25, 2016, there were many folks who thought Orgeron was only going to be a placeholder coach until the end of the season when the school found a guy like Jimbo Fisher to take over the program.

On the surface, Fisher to LSU made a lot of sense. He was a former LSU assistant and was the team’s offensive coordinator when the Tigers won the national title over Notre Dame after the 2006 season before moving to Florida State.

But according to former LSU athletic director Joe Alleva, Fisher was never an option. Not even at the end of the 2015 season, when Miles’ grip on his job was tenuous as the Tigers beat Texas A&M 19-7 to cap off a 9-3 regular season.

So basically innuendo without any details, from a has-been retired dude, trying to milk some time in the press while "his" team tries to win the big game.

Maybe he personally didn't like Fisher and sought out "friends in ACC" who will confirm his bias. Maybe they didn't want to pay the money it would take to land Herman or Fisher (as stated in the article). Maybe Fisher was demanding more control than Alleva wanted to hand over. Without Alleva being specific about his criticism of Fisher it feels like Alleva just having a personal axe to grind but doing it publicly.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Diestch is headed to Arizona St. (at least according to the one Sun Devils fan I know).

the dude is made of glass. Maybe Az St situation will work out better for him. highly rated (top 20 rated OT out of high school, IIRC) but never lived up to the potential.  Wrong evals happen with OLs.

4 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

So basically innuendo without any details, from a has-been retired dude, trying to milk some time in the press while "his" team tries to win the big game.

Maybe he personally didn't like Fisher and sought out "friends in ACC" who will confirm his bias. Maybe they didn't want to pay the money it would take to land Herman or Fisher (as stated in the article). Maybe Fisher was demanding more control than Alleva wanted to hand over. Without Alleva being specific about his criticism of Fisher it feels like Alleva just having a personal axe to grind but doing it publicly.

Maybe he didn't want to a hire a coach that just had a terrible season and lost to UH and and took a smooth buttfucking from Louisville  recently with top 5 talent.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Maybe Fisher was demanding more control than Alleva wanted to hand over. Without Alleva being specific about his criticism of Fisher it feels like Alleva just having a personal axe to grind but doing it publicly.

Could be.  Or maybe Fisher is late era Mack Brown.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Maybe he didn't want to a hire a coach that just had a terrible season and lost to UH and and took a smooth buttfucking from Louisville  recently with top 5 talent.

That would be a fair point to make even publicly, and Alleva should, if that was the stumbling block. But without specifics it could appear he is making a personality conflict or other "soft issue" points, and that's just not a good look to do in public.  Fisher may be a shitty dude that everyone knows but it makes Alleva look like he is out there trying to make some personal points against Fisher.

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

Many LSU people think Jimbo was a worthless asshole from when he was OC there. One of my good friends was on staff with him and never liked him. And he likes Bo Pelini a lot, if that tells you anything.

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Many LSU people think Jimbo was a worthless asshole from when he was OC there. One of my good friends was on staff with him and never liked him. And he likes Bo Pelini a lot, if that tells you anything.

I know a few LSU boosters and only one was die-hard about getting Fisher. The rest, as you said, didn't like him from his time as OC there.

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anybody else think aggy will go back losing to at least 1 of the Mississippi schools every year now with Kiffin and Leach at the schools?

And Arkansas has Kendal Briles. Once these programs get a QB and surround them with skill guys, it'll be a pain in the ass to prepare for week in week out, similar to the Big XII. At least they still only play eight conference games and South Carolina ever year. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fud said:

And Arkansas has Kendal Briles. Once these programs get a QB and surround them with skill guys, it'll be a pain in the ass to prepare for week in week out, similar to the Big XII. At least they still only play eight conference games and South Carolina ever year. 

slowly but surely (or is it surly?) SEC football is becoming more like Big12 football. and we can kinda sorta blame it on Stumblin and Juanny Foosball for showing what a blitzkrieg fast-paced power air raid offense can do against Bama and the likes.

Jimbo has may be next season to notch up wins against these 3 programs and then either change up his O (like Ed O did) or outrecruit and outskill these teams, because otherwise he is going to lose... especially if he doesn't get better CBs (I assume he got at least one good-to-great pass rusher of the 3 in the 2020 recruiting class).

Edited by PHLaggie

15 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

slowly but surely (or is it surly?) SEC football is becoming more like Big12 football. and we can kinda sorta blame it on Stumblin and Juanny Foosball for showing what a blitzkrieg fast-paced power air raid offense can do against Bama and the likes.

Jimbo has may be next season to notch up wins against these 3 programs and then either change up his O (like Ed O did) or outrecruit and outskill these teams, because otherwise he is going to lose... especially if he doesn't get better CBs (I assume he got at least one good-to-great pass rusher of the 3 in the 2020 recruiting class).

I agree with your post. Just want to point the hilarity to the rest of us that the bolded part begs for the follow-up which is something like "and if he loses, then there will be big consequences, mister!" but of course not really. If he loses, well, he loses. Just sits there eventually drawing a paycheck and watching the world burn around him. I feel like there's a shot of this well above 0% and that warms the cockles of my cold, dark heart.