Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

23 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

They are also staring to see that he’s trying to land anywhere but them. So while they want him, they are having to hedge by claiming they don’t want/need him. Been quite the follow. 

It will be quite the "Jimbo moved on" when he eventually signs somewhere else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Florida and Ole Miss want him, and there’s talk that Ohio State might be recruiting him too. Maybe A&M still goes after him, that’s unclear though 

FWIW, Perroni stated in a thread that Ohio State was definitely not an option any more (not sure whether they moved on, Evans did, or whether there was never any real chance).

Perroni has their boards thinking that Crownover would get blueshirted, which would mean I believe that he shows up in August, is on the team as a walkon for a year having to pay his own way, and then counts against 2021

Tarp thinks that doesn’t make sense, because they need him to enroll this week so they have more than one running back for the spring 

I’m guessing Tarp is correct. Why bother taking this guy if he’s not there until August? The incoming freshmen won’t be good, but they’ll probably be better than this guy. The reason they’re taking him is for spring ball 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Somewhat aggy related - but how does one go to Army and then transfer. Doesnt the whole “joining the army” supersede a commitment to play football for a university? Or do army football players not have to actually join the army?

Come on, ya stoopid sip, going from Army to A&M is like never even leaving the service!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fud said:

Perroni has their boards thinking that Crownover would get blueshirted, which would mean I believe that he shows up in August, is on the team as a walkon for a year having to pay his own way, and then counts against 2021

Tarp thinks that doesn’t make sense, because they need him to enroll this week so they have more than one running back for the spring 

I’m guessing Tarp is correct. Why bother taking this guy if he’s not there until August? The incoming freshmen won’t be good, but they’ll probably be better than this guy. The reason they’re taking him is for spring ball 

Yeah, if you're taking a guy because you desperately need depth it doesn't make any sense to sign him and make sure he's ineligible for the season that you'd need him as depth.

Love the comment “...could have had Ngata, Smith or McGowen if we hadn’t..”

Sure you could have. Sure you didn’t really try for them.

And who the hell spends money on a message board that wipes out any negative content. Surly would be empty if that happened here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bear19 said:

Sensational pick up. Very few running backs actually try to do this.

From texaggy

Aggieranger

10:29p, 1/18/20 

I like that he tries to stay on his feet after initial contact!

Interesting concept. Is this how it's done? leonard fournette trucks texas a&m defender dot gif

Edited by Chopper

49 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Love the comment “...could have had Ngata, Smith or McGowen if we hadn’t..”

Sure you could have. Sure you didn’t really try for them.

And who the hell spends money on a message board that wipes out any negative content. Surly would be empty if that happened here.

Why did Russians elect Putin?

A big reason Jimbo had some success at FSU was the fact he landed a stud RB almost every cycle. The highest ranked RB commit Jimbo has signed so far at A&M is Spiller (#152 composite). 

These are the RBs Jimbo signed at FSU that were higher rated-

Cam Akers (#3 composite recruit)

Khalen Laborn (#29 composite recruit)

Zaquandre White (#141 composite recruit)

Jacques Patrick (#39 composite recruit)

Dalvin Cook (#13 composite recruit)

Ryan Green (#56 composite recruit)

Mario Pender (#37 composite recruit)

Devonta Freeman (#104 composite recruit)

Edited by texasstrong12

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

A big reason Jimbo had some success at FSU was the fact he landed a stud RB almost every cycle. The highest ranked RB commit Jimbo has signed so far at A&M is Spiller (#152 composite). 

These are the RBs Jimbo signed at FSU that were higher rated-

Cam Akers (#3 composite recruit)

Khalen Laborn (#29 composite recruit)

Zaquandre White (#141 composite recruit)

Jacques Patrick (#39 composite recruit)

Dalvin Cook (#13 composite recruit)

Ryan Green (#56 composite recruit)

Mario Pender (#37 composite recruit)

Devonta Freeman (#104 composite recruit)

You say that, but half those guys I don’t even recognize. Akers, cook, and Freeman I know, obviously. Jacques Patrick rings a bell. Ryan Green went undrafted. I don’t know what percentage that is different from the typical hit rate for blue chips.

I think he was successful because he had a stud qb, and while they didn’t put up huge numbers they had a trio of WRs with flypaper hands that championship season. Like fucking 3-4 circus catches made routine a game kind of hands. 

Alabama is getting Freddie Roach, who's been at Ole Miss for four years, as their DL coach. This probably puts Bama as the leader for McKinnley Jackson. A&M is the most desperate of the suitors for Jackson, but they also have the least to sell above the table. 

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

Alabama is getting Freddie Roach, who's been at Ole Miss for four years, as their DL coach. This probably puts Bama as the leader for McKinnley Jackson. A&M is the most desperate of the suitors for Jackson, but they also have the least to sell above the table. 

He got a Bama' crystal ball from an Ole Miss guy.

So, unless Perroni doesn't know what he's talking about, A&M will likely take RB Hubbard and then recruit McKinnley up to NSD (it's very possible Perroni doesn't, and Crownover enrolls tomorrow)

This would mean that Crownover isn't enrolling this week, which means Spiller is their only volume back for the spring, with Ainias Smith having to be their second running back. 

If McKinnley picks A&M, then they'd drop Evans and Crownover would blueshirt. 

If McKinnley doesn't pick A&M, then A&M has a spot open, and can wait and see what Evans does over the spring and summer. If he shows up to campus at any point, they can blueshirt Crownover. If he shows up to a different school for the first summer session, then Crownover can join the team then. If Evans doesn't show up to a different school until August, then Crownover can join the team then. 

To me, McKinnley to A&M seems unlikely, as LSU and Bama seem to be the big favorites, but A&M does have the last OV, so I can't write them off. So on one hand, it does make sense to save a spot for McKinnley. On the other, taking Hubbard and saving a spot for McKinnley means A&M only has one volume back and one slot WR for their spring running back room, and that either those two will be adding a lot of tread on their tires in the spring by having to take a ton or reps, or their defense won't get good looks. 

This is what happens when you allow too much bread to sign and don't have late class flexibility. 

• Like 1

Yep, seems like they told Crownover he will blue shirt with the chance of not blue shirting depending on what Hubbard, Evans, and McKinley do. 

I think Hubbard commits, they miss out on McKinley, and they hold a spot for Evans until fall. I don’t think Jimbo gives a shit about spring ball. 

37 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yep, seems like they told Crownover he will blue shirt with the chance of not blue shirting depending on what Hubbard, Evans, and McKinley do. 

I think Hubbard commits, they miss out on McKinley, and they hold a spot for Evans until fall. I don’t think Jimbo gives a shit about spring ball. 

Why would you, when you can function perfectly fine with Blumrick taking viable snaps at RB all spring? ManBun got this, yo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they blueshirt Crownover and Phillips they are down to 23 for the 2021 class already — they have numbers issues at several spots (RB, LB) that will cause aggy to burn some of those 23 on guys that aren’t takes just to get numbers for depth (see Crownover, Phillips, Jackson, Lee, Russel, Orebo). They were already going to be in catch up mode for numbers because the 2018 class is such a disaster. That class had 4 RB - and they have ZERO on the roster from it just 2 years later and now have to oversign in the ‘21 class to try and recover and that 25 cap is going to keep hamstringing them. Reading aggy crow about how smart the Crownover blueshirt move is because “it doesn’t hurt anything” and “he could provide needed depth playing in 4 games while RS” is delicious on several fronts. If they wait until Aug and end up with Evans then you’ve given away a ‘21 spot for Crownover to do what exactly? Play FB, maybe? it’s nonsense. 

Roster Mgmt and OL recruiting for Jimbo at aggy mirrors the same trends at FSU. Under and then over signing spots and nothing but cubes across the board. The pillow soft schedules will keep him afloat and guys like Demas, Ibraheem, and Leal will give them false hope but we’ve seen what these two issues did to an insanely talented FSU roster over time. Factor in OOS mercs/reaches and the portal ... 

I haven’t looked but I imagine there has to be a serviceable grad xfer RB that wouldn’t burn a hole in the depth chart for 2-4 years and take away a ‘21 counter, right?

Don’t care, got Jimbo. 

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I haven’t looked but I imagine there has to be a serviceable grad xfer RB that wouldn’t burn a hole in the depth chart for 2-4 years and take away a ‘21 counter, right?

A grad transfer would still eat a counter in 2021 in some form, because it would eat a 2020 counter that they could otherwise count backwards 2021 to 2020 for. I thought Crownover made sense when I assumed he'd enroll this week, but now that it appears they're taking Hubbard and probably making Crownover wait, I don't see how this makes sense 

With transfers, and players who sign but don't make it to campus counting against the 25, I think going forward an underrated (for now) aspect of roster management is managing attrition, since the only way to replace lost scholarships once you go past ~100 in 4 years is through walkons who get promoted to scholarship after two years, and that takes time, and typically they aren't adequate replacements. This means cleaner prospects should be more valuable than they were before, while riskier prospects should be taken more rarely than before. 

Just now, Fud said:

A grad transfer would still eat a counter in 2021 in some form, because it would eat a 2020 counter that they could otherwise count backwards 2021 to 2020 for. I thought Crownover made sense when I assumed he'd enroll this week, but now that it appears they're taking Hubbard and probably making Crownover wait, I don't see how this makes sense 

With transfers, and players who sign but don't make it to campus counting against the 25, I think going forward an underrated (for now) aspect of roster management is managing attrition, since the only way to replace lost scholarships once you go past ~100 in 4 years is through walkons who get promoted to scholarship after two years, and that takes time, and typically they aren't adequate replacements. This means cleaner prospects should be more valuable than they were before, while riskier prospects should be taken more rarely than before. 

Can't Jimbo just scour for a decent PWO at RB?  Herman did that last cycle.

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Can't Jimbo just scour for a decent PWO at RB?  Herman did that last cycle.

That doesn't really help for this spring and fall, since typically PWOs need several years in S&C to be able to compete with scholarship players. Maybe Herman would have played them this year had two of them not gotten injured early in the season, but I kind of doubt they would have played over Rochon once he changed positions. 

My guess is that Crownover enrolls tomorrow and they will take Hubbard or Jackson if they can get either of them, think they have no chance with Evans. Crownover makes zero sense to bring in unless they bring him in for the spring as a warm body, he does them no good as a blue shirt or coming in the fall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lobwedgephil said:

My guess is that Crownover enrolls tomorrow and they will take Hubbard or Jackson if they can get either of them, think they have no chance with Evans. Crownover makes zero sense to bring in unless they bring him in for the spring as a warm body, he does them no good as a blue shirt or coming in the fall. 

Yeah, Jimbo isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, but I bet even he can realize that Evans’ plea to Kirby on national TV and his decision to not enroll early at aggy but instead take OVs to other schools means Evans will only go to A&M if he literally has no other options. Hell, Holgo at UH might be able to get Evans over aggy  if he can get Tilman to pony up some cash. 

4 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Also, all of the blueshirt stuff is coming from Perroni and random posters, as far as I can tell. I haven't seen any quotes from Crownover about it, he just said something about Jimbo had to see if they could get him in campus this week. 

If you're Crownover, do you really want to pay your own way for a year? 

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

More importantly, who are the 5+ guys currently on the roster getting shown the door to make room for the current 2020 class.

Some combination of Buckley, Foster, Riley Anderson, Hezekiah Jones, Blanton, Reed, Blumrick, and Fuller. Maybe one or two who haven't been discussed yet. Beal was in the portal and came back (they should have let him go), and Preston was expected to portal but got talked out of it. 

• Like 1

Also, all of the blueshirt stuff is coming from Perroni and random posters, as far as I can tell. I haven't seen any quotes from Crownover about it, he just said something about Jimbo had to see if they could get him in campus this week. 

Pay? Bag Hag to the rescue.
  • Like 1

Pay? Bag Hag to the rescue.