Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

Just now, Getafix said:

From some notes, it sounds like the benefit of these maneuvers is that he can play in 2020, but count towards the '21 class ... 

Sure, that’s the mechanics of it, but they needed a RB for the spring. Now they have one real running back for spring game, with a 170 point slot WR as their #2. Spiller is going to get worn down, or they’re not going to get real looks 

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sure, that’s the mechanics of it, but they needed a RB for the spring. Now they have one real running back for spring game, with a 170 point slot WR as their #2. Spiller is going to get worn down, or they’re not going to get real looks 

Yeah ... guess they were setting a floor with this move, in the eventuality that they missed on Evans as well as Hubbard.  

If they do get Hubbard - and it's looking like they will - it'll be interesting to see if they follow through with this kid.  (Just hope they're honest with him, and follow through on whatever they promise.)

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Yeah ... guess they were setting a floor with this move, in the eventuality that they missed on Evans as well as Hubbard.  

If they do get Hubbard - and it's looking like they will - it'll be interesting to see if they follow through with this kid.  (Just hope they're honest with him, and follow through on whatever they promise.)

coffee lol GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Given that his brother is a big time DFW 2021 recruit, they kind of have to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Aggie 247 /Brian Perroni / Earnest Crownover

Hide contents

Final word on Earnest Crownover

Brian Perroni
He spoke with Jimbo Fisher tonight. As expected, he is not going to be enrolling this semester. A&M has him set to come in August, so it will be a blueshirt situation. He can't technically be recruited, so he won't take an official visit and won't be signing next month.

I need to find out the exact details but I believe he will be eligible this coming season. I will check to see if he counts towards next years class but from what I understood, he would

These fucking dipshits keep saying "blueshirt" as if it is a common thing. It isn't. I had never heard the term until this season. And in order to be a "blueshirt," according to the rules, he won't be eligible this season. He will have to sit out the season and will count towards the 2021 class. He can practice and play in the Spring Game though...so, that's cool I guess. Definition of a camp body. 

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

Hey, I'm in awe of them taking up a 2021 scholarship slot with a player with that kind of ranking.  It's not like 2021 is, on paper, one hell of a fucking class that you want as many scholarships available for... real recruiting... 5D chess and all... 

Exactly. Jimbo Fisher has learned his lessons about kicking the can down the road, for sure. He’s Robbing Peter to pay Paul with a 100% vig.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sejjr said:

These fucking dipshits keep saying "blueshirt" as if it is a common thing. It isn't. I had never heard the term until this season. And in order to be a "blueshirt," according to the rules, he won't be eligible this season. He will have to sit out the season and will count towards the 2021 class. He can practice and play in the Spring Game though...so, that's cool I guess. Definition of a camp body. 

You are correct. He can’t play in 2020. But he also can’t play in the spring game. He has to show up for fall practice. Once he shows up to fall practice, he gets scholarship aid and he can practice, but he can’t play in 2020. He will count towards 2021. 

Jimbo doesn’t care about spring ball. This is a Zach Evans insurance policy. Hubbard will sign. Jackson isn’t picking A&M. If he does, no harm, Crownover is a blue shirt anyway, they just need him for depth in practice in fall. If Zach Evans shows up in fall and wants in, he can. If he doesn’t, then Crownover gets his spot and scholarship and can play in 2020 if needed. 

He covers both scenarios 

Ok, so what happens if they blueshirt him, he doesn't play this season, and then between this and next season they decide they don't want him?

Can they process him without having to use a number from 21, or does blueshirting him now require that they use a 21 scholarship on him?

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

You are correct. He can’t play in 2020. But he also can’t play in the spring game. He has to show up for fall practice. Once he shows up to fall practice, he gets scholarship aid and he can practice, but he can’t play in 2020. He will count towards 2021. 

Jimbo doesn’t care about spring ball. This is a Zach Evans insurance policy. Hubbard will sign. Jackson isn’t picking A&M. If he does, no harm, Crownover is a blue shirt anyway, they just need him for depth in practice in fall. If Zach Evans shows up in fall and wants in, he can. If he doesn’t, then Crownover gets his spot and scholarship and can play in 2020 if needed. 

He covers both scenarios 

Aggies seem to be under the impression that he can play as a blueshirt next year, as evidenced by some Colorado TE who did it the last couple of years 

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Ok, so what happens if they blueshirt him, he doesn't play this season, and then between this and next season they decide they don't want him?

Can they process him without having to use a number from 21, or does blueshirting him now require that they use a 21 scholarship on him?

Since he'll be on campus and receiving a scholarship, I think it'll have to count in some form at some point 

• Like 1

I don't know how he can play his first season. Still trying to figure that out. (edit: see below, yes they can play)

But yes, will be counted in 2021 class as an inital counter, but counts against 85 limit total for 2020

15.5.6.3.3 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid During First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice during the first year of enrollment becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18)

What does Non-recruited mean?

Bylaw 15.02.9

15.02.9 Recruited Student-Athlete. For purposes of Bylaw 15, a recruited student-athlete is a student-athlete who, as a prospective student-athlete: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, Revised: 4/25/18)

(a) Was provided an official visit to the institution's campus;

(b) Had an arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with a member of the institution's coaching staff (including a coach's arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's family members); or

(c) Was issued a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of athletically related financial aid by the institution for a regular academic term.

And yes, it looks like Blueshirts can play in the fall. (can't find anything that resricts them not to in the bylaws)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2016/01/31/college-football-recruiting-redshirt-greenshirt-grayshirt-blueshirt/79603750/

Meanwhile, blueshirts represent the newest loophole for FBS programs to accumulate depth while not affecting their annual numbers. Like grayshirt recruits, blueshirts are counted toward the next season’s scholarship total.

There is one distinct difference, however. Unlike grayshirts, a blueshirt is able to enroll and participate in team events in the fall. This allows programs to get the best of both worlds: FBS schools can delay a scholarship for the following year, allowing them to over-sign beyond the 25-scholarship limit, and get the use of a prospect immediately rather than waiting until the following spring.

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don't know how he can play his first season. Still trying to figure that out. (edit: see below, yes they can play)

But yes, will be counted in 2021 class as an inital counter, but counts against 85 limit total for 2020

What does Non-recruited mean?

And yes, it looks like Blueshirts can play in the fall. (can't find anything that resricts them not to in the bylaws)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2016/01/31/college-football-recruiting-redshirt-greenshirt-grayshirt-blueshirt/79603750/

Based on that last sentence I’d take it to mean that he can’t practice till the fall. So no spring depth. Unless he’s paying his own way and just showing up to practice. which again, why take the kid? 

At the risk of derailing the Crownover Meneuver discussion, has anybody done the requisite math on where ATM is headed with the APR given the attrition and the reality that they’re also planning on taking a full class in 2021? Didn’t Bilbo Aggins take a giant, angry leprechaun dump on the APR at FSU? Had he sustained that behavior there, they would have lost scholarships in the next few seasons, if memory serves. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At the risk of derailing the Crownover Meneuver discussion, has anybody done the requisite math on where ATM is headed with the APR given the attrition and the reality that they’re also planning on taking a full class in 2021? Didn’t Bilbo Aggins take a giant, angry leprechaun dump on the APR at FSU? Had he sustained that behavior there, they would have lost scholarships in the next few seasons, if memory serves. 

I know he tanked APR and GSR, GSR info is below:

Spoiler

he Florida State football program is still feeling the effects of the Jimbo Fisher era on its academics.

FSU has a graduation success rate of 60 for players that were brought in as first-year players on scholarship in 2012.

The Seminoles are 129th out of 130 FBS teams in Graduation Success Rate, according to data released by the NCAA. FSU is 238th out of 253 teams at the Division I level for football. 

Graduation success rate is defined as the proportion of first-year, full-time student-athletes who entered a school on athletics aid and graduated from that institution within six years. 

The only FBS program to finish behind FSU was Oklahoma State at 54. The average GSR for a football program was 78. 

APR generally is here:

Spoiler

Florida State's latest APR score for the 2017-18 year was released in May, and it was 922, the lowest of any Power Five school. The NCAA can take punitive actions against a program -- loss of practice time, scholarships -- if a school's APR score drops below 930 over a four-year average. Florida State's currently sits at 936 but is reportedly climbing under Taggart.

https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Article/FSU-football-APR-score-Jimbo-Fisher-fallout-Willie-Taggart-131902057/

they touch on the APR issue in that Bleacher Report article here: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841875-the-mess-jimbo-left-inside-fsus-fall-and-willie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Of all Taggart walked into at FSU, nothing was more disturbing than the idea of keeping players eligible. He was floored by the attitude toward academics when he arrived.

"Don't tell me [players] are not going to class. Are you s--tting me? They're going to class," Taggart says. "Who is he to tell you he's not going to class? That's accountability. That's discipline. If you're going to allow him to sit there and not go, of course he's not going. If we allow him to do that, shame on us. Then we really don't care. We're just here. We're just collecting the money and cheating the university."

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Based on that last sentence I’d take it to mean that he can’t practice till the fall. So no spring depth. Unless he’s paying his own way and just showing up to practice. which again, why take the kid? 

Jimbo doesn't give a shit about spring depth. He will just use Anias and Blumfuck for warm bodies or a walk on. This is for fall depth/emergency player. If Spiller/Hubbard get hurt, and Zach Evans doesn't show up in fall. They will need Crownover to take some carries in a game. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Jimbo doesn't give a shit about spring depth. He will just use Anias and Blumfuck for warm bodies or a walk on. This is for fall depth/emergency player. If Spiller/Hubbard get hurt, and Zach Evans doesn't show up in fall. They will need Crownover to take some carries in a game. 

I mean, I understand the point you're making, and I agree to an extent that Fisher is literally a miniature version of a full sized retard, but certainly he can't be so stupid as to think he doesn't need Spring Depth. Anias smith, now on boatloads of breakout lists for next year, taking bulk carries in the spring? The assumption that ManBun will actually go along with getting his 6-5 ass beat out of him as a tackling dummy? Or the best of all, the entire defense and offense don't get meaningful, live reps? Hoo boy, sign me the fuck up.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I understand the point you're making, and I agree to an extent that Fisher is literally a miniature version of a full sized retard, but certainly he can't be so stupid as to think he doesn't need Spring Depth. Anias smith, now on boatloads of breakout lists for next year, taking bulk carries in the spring? The assumption that ManBun will actually go along with getting his 6-5 ass beat out of him as a tackling dummy? Or the best of all, the entire defense and offense don't get meaningful, live reps? Hoo boy, sign me the fuck up

Am I the only one that sees the similarity between Connor Blumrick and Derrick Henry?  Trust in Jimbo!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Am I the only one that sees the similarity between Connor Blumrick and Derrick Henry?  Trust in Jimbo!!!!

They already converted a WR into a first round quarterback. They can convert a QB into a first round RB stupid sip. The blueprint is there. 

This blueshirt thing is just a weird and sketchy rule. So just so I am clear, the NCAA allows a "non-recruited" player to sign after fall camp starts, who is immediately eligible to practice and participate, and that player can play in the fall, receiving financial aid like a normal scholarship player, but they will count towards the following class?  

According to this article, a Blueshirt can't play in the fall, but that appears to be incorrect:

Blueshirting wasn't used until recently, and it still isn't common, but it's essentially another loophole to get around oversigning.

The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play. Here's what it means to be "recruited," according to the NCAA:

• Was provided an official visit to the campus;
  • Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or
  • Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.

Coaches can contact players and have them on campus for unofficial visits — when the recruits pay their ways — without technically recruiting them. Essentially, as long as a recruit doesn't take an official visit or host one of that school's coaches, he wasn't "recruited" by that school.

Tennessee has popularized the practice, which was first developed by New Mexico State.

Edited by Sejjr

On 1/20/2020 at 6:02 AM, SydneyCarton said:

You say that, but half those guys I don’t even recognize. Akers, cook, and Freeman I know, obviously. Jacques Patrick rings a bell. Ryan Green went undrafted. I don’t know what percentage that is different from the typical hit rate for blue chips.

I think he was successful because he had a stud qb, and while they didn’t put up huge numbers they had a trio of WRs with flypaper hands that championship season. Like fucking 3-4 circus catches made routine a game kind of hands. 

The '13 team that won a championship had 2 very good backs in Freeman and Karlos Williams. Williams was the #4 composite recruit and Freeman was the #104 composite recruit. 

There were other ingredients to Jimbo's success but having a stud RB every year through '12-'16 played a large role. Especially in a pro style offense that's run oriented. During that '12-'16 run it was all highly rated guys at RB like Freeman, Karlos Williams, Cook and Patrick.

There were some misses at the position based on their ranking but you have to actually land some of those guys to have hits. So far A&M hasn't landed anybody of a Freeman, Williams, Cook or Patrick caliber. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 3:09 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Darvon Hubbard has been Fong'd to aggy.

Been noted he's dropped in the rankings a lot this season, just barely over .90 on the composite.  This is being held up by being #159 in the nation by ESPN as 247 and Rivals both have him as a 3*.

Update on this.  He didn't make the final ESPN 300.  Composite hasn't updated, but have to think that drops him to a composite 3*.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

LOL that's amazing.  What "many other sectors" do you have to pay a down payment to even apply for a job interview?

They also forgot to mention the instance where someone doesn't get the job after interviewing. But yeah, I'm sure some of the poor schlubs who are coaching at the likes of Tulsa moving upward have that kind of cash to throw around on an Interview Deposit. And nevermind that unless you applied it to ALL candidates, regardless of their station, you'd be breaking labor laws. And of course, nevermind that in a right to work state I have to assume this is also discriminatory and illegal. And I'm not even an attorney, so Katfid can correct me if I'm wrong. But yeah, this seems well thought out. 

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

LOL that's amazing.  What "many other sectors" do you have to pay a down payment to even apply for a job interview?

I once worked for a place that wouldn't refund your interview expenses if you turned down a subsequent job offer...kinda similar, but not $100K down payment similar.