Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

Perroni with the company line 

Brian Perroni avatar
Brian PerroniSTAFF
Posted on 93 mins, V I P, User Since 197 months ago, User Post Count: 84,725
  • 93 minsVIP
  • 197 months

We were told Tennessee offered Graham and he expected A&M to counter. However, the Aggies did not do so, letting him to to Knoxville.

But facts comes at you fast 

Thank god. We gave him a raise and a promotion not even a full year ago and then he wants to leverage the same damn offer to go to a program where he’s going to be fired in 1-2 years? Gtfo.

Spoiler

Liucci

7:11p 

Staff

AG

Tough blow for the Ags but I did confirm this on the A&M side. Family had been pulling Jay back to Knoxville for a while now and it was something the Ags had to fend off the Vols For a year ago, giving him a nice raise along the way. Tough loss and I really don't like the timing I MC regards to both Hubbard and Evans (really don't like it at all honestly) and maybe even Crownover but all is fair when it comes to the college coaching carousel. The Ags were in the right side of this equation (at Georgia's expense) just four days ago.
Milkwort I always say, a chance to upgrade, even if Jay did a heck of a job in two years here.

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

Tough blow for the Ags but I did confirm this on the A&M side. Family had been pulling Jay back to Knoxville for a while now and it was something the Ags had to fend off the Vols For a year ago, giving him a nice raise along the way. Tough loss and I really don't like the timing I MC regards to both Hubbard and Evans (really don't like it at all honestly) and maybe even Crownover but all is fair when it comes to the college coaching carousel. The Ags were in the right side of this equation (at Georgia's expense) just four days ago.
Milkwort I always say, a chance to upgrade, even if Jay did a heck of a job in two years here.

Jack Nicholson head nod gif on that Hubbard news. 

10 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

He did such a great job he leaves the next RB coach with a depth chart of 1.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The thing that I don’t get is why these coaches are getting hired away. Linguist and Graham both sucked.

I guess the TEs coach was ok. He seems well regarded, but he definitely wasn’t a great recruiter. 

Stupid sip, they were members of the Jimbo's staff at the premiere instate sec school. What other reason do you need?

Edited by Bevo14

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

aglets hoping New Daddy gets Collins. Also the '20 DL were big 12 pussies but '21 is definitely their year.

Hide contents

EPa_cUpWsAAX5JA?format=png&name=smallEPa_cx8X0AAv7iO?format=jpg&name=360x360EPa_c5xX0AAIBZk?format=png&name=360x360EPa_dPgX0AAEC97?format=png&name=360x360

Someone should tell gibbs2016 that some the greatest aggys were big pussies also. Guys like Dat Nguyen, Bucky Richardson, and Von Miller were afraid to play in the SEC. It happens.

Edited by texaslong

5 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

This is as close as we will ever get to Liucci admitting he didn’t know shit about this. And Milkwort? Is that what you call the worst running back room in the SEC?

10 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

Staff

AG

oh my god

i didn't even think about the fact that Crownover isn't signed yet - if that dude goes elsewhere the meltdown is actually going to be hilarious

• Like 1

Reasons coaches /ADs leave aggy:

A. They're going back home

B. They leveraged us. We obviously have the $ to counter but Jimbo saw through it. 4D chess 

C. Health reasons 

D. They weren't SEC West caliber

E. All of the above

F. I knew a long time ago but I couldn't say

I don't expect any more coaching staff turnover  (But if there is, refer to F)

-Looch

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

oh my god

i didn't even think about the fact that Crownover isn't signed yet - if that dude goes elsewhere the meltdown is actually going to be hilarious

Crownover isn't going elsewhere if they want him. He's a borderline Texas State type of prospect. 

Since Jimbo got hired

AD: Scott Woodward (LSU) - money

AD for Player Personnel: Austin Thomas (Baylor) - money

Executive Director of Recruiting: Leah Knight (retired from Football) - who knows

TE: Tim Brewster (UNC) - "family in the area" - no jimbo

TE: Joe Jon Finley (Ole Miss) -  "friend coaches there" - no jimbo

OL: Jim Turner (Cincinnati Bengals) - NFL

RB: Jay Graham (Tennessee) - played there and money

DB: Mo Linguist (Dallas Cowboys) - NFL

LB: Bradley Dale Peveto (retired from football) - is he retiring?

Coaches who are still there from the beginning

DC: Mike Elko (trying to get that northeast HC job. No offers yet)

DE: Terry Price (The Oscar Giles of A&M. Played at Aggy. Coaches at Aggy. same shitty recruiting)

DT: Elijah Robinson (Good coach. Sad Rhule didn't give him a Panther bid)

OC: Darrell Dickey (this guy is getting paid to be assistant to OC Jimbo)

WR: Dameyune Craig (bagman gonna bag)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Since Jimbo got hired

Executive Director of Recruiting: Leah Knight (retired from Football) - who knows

DE: Terry Price (The Oscar Giles of A&M. Played at Aggy. Coaches at Aggy. same shitty recruiting)

My understanding is that Mike Elko keeps showing up to head coach interviews wearing a tux. Also, listing Dale Doback and Jesus Christ as personal references hasn't gone well. He may be at ATM for the rest of his life.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My understanding is that Mike Elko keeps showing up to head coach interviews wearing a tux. Also, listing Dale Doback and Jesus Christ as personal references hasn't gone well. He may be at ATM for the rest of his life.

Is that onion?

It could be worse, but just barely. He could be listing Adolf Hilter as guys he'd most like to have dinner with to a bunch of academically inclined people in the Northeast. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Since Jimbo got hired

people we did not want to lose: woodward, austin thomas, brewster

people we liked but are replaceable: leah knight and her tight shirts, joe jon finley, jay graham

people we actively encouraged to look around or told to leave: jim turner (jimbo and an ol coach not getting along, bizarre), bradley dale peveto

people we will lose at some point and almost guaranteed to have a drop in production: elko, elijah robinson

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bizzle said:

people we liked but are replaceable: leah knight and her tight shirts, joe jon finley, jay graham

people we actively encouraged to look around or told to leave: jim turner (jimbo and an ol coach not getting along, bizarre), bradley dale peveto

people we will lose at some point and almost guaranteed to have a drop in production: elko, elijah robinson

You forgot to put the cunning Linguist in your tiers. I honestly have no clue where A&M fans would place him. 

Also, I’m not a Cowboys fan, but choosing to not retain Kris Richard and instead hire Linguist seems like a not great move. Maybe Richard was only willing to stay if he was a co-DC or something. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

actively encouraging a coach to move on, who then gets an NFL position coach job is the most Jimbo move ever.

56 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You forgot to put the cunning Linguist in your tiers. I honestly have no clue where A&M fans would place him. 

Also, I’m not a Cowboys fan, but choosing to not retain Kris Richard and instead hire Linguist seems like a not great move. Maybe Richard was only willing to stay if he was a co-DC or something. 

don't think he fits the Nolan-style of defense, plus Nolan wanted to bring in his own guys - didn't the full defensive coaching staff turn over?

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

don't think he fits the Nolan-style of defense, plus Nolan wanted to bring in his own guys - didn't the full defensive coaching staff turn over?

I think so, but I have a hard time seeing how Richard -> Linguist isn’t a massive downgrade. I guess the upside for the Cowboys is that Linguist won’t be allowed to draft a bunch of safeties to play corner for him in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

actively encouraging a coach to move on, who then gets an NFL position coach job is the most Jimbo move ever.

There are some NFL GMs who don't know what the fuck they are doing. Just sayin'. Jimbo is wrong about a lot of things, but that doesn't mean he's wrong about every thing.

was there a general consensus on this site that Jim Turner never was all that he was cracked out to be? it would be unseemly to criticize from both sides of the issue; so either Turner was a bum who got lucky with one or two good classes under Sherman and those were Sherman evals to begin with, or he was good and Jimbo didn't know good when it landed in his lap.  i've seen criticism on both sides from Longhorn fans, depending on convenience.

Plus, how sure are we that Turner was told to look around? He was at Miami Dolphins as OL coach after his Sherman years at A&M, and before he got hired back to A&M, he spent a year at OL coach at Cinci Bengals. Maybe he didn't get along with Jimbo and thought it's best to go back to NFL and luckily for him, the Cinci job was still his to be had.

none of this shields criticism of Jimbo's OL issues, and Henson is still on the hook for making something out of the 2020 OL.

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

was there a general consensus on this site that Jim Turner never was all that he was cracked out to be? it would be unseemly to criticize from both sides of the issue; so either Turner was a bum who got lucky with one or two good classes under Sherman and those were Sherman evals to begin with, or he was good and Jimbo didn't know good when it landed in his lap.  i've seen criticism on both sides from Longhorn fans, depending on convenience.

Plus, how sure are we that Turner was told to look around? He was at Miami Dolphins as OL coach after his Sherman years at A&M, and before he got hired back to A&M, he spent a year at OL coach at Cinci Bengals. Maybe he didn't get along with Jimbo and thought it's best to go back to NFL and luckily for him, the Cinci job was still his to be had.

none of this shields criticism of Jimbo's OL issues, and Henson is still on the hook for making something out of the 2020 OL.

bizzle is the one saying that Turner was told to look around. bizzle is aggy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Turner was overrated. He also has family/friend connections that got him his job in Cincy. It can be both. I don’t think he was told to look around, however. He can suck and still get a better gig. See Mo Linguist, for example. Turner was specifically weak at recruiting and evaluation, as I remember it. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure what this demonstrates other than Rivals sucks balls. Anyone care to spell it out for me like I’m Stanco or Harvdog? 

My interpretation. 

The aggy is saying the recruiting services dropped Hubbard in the rankings because the assumption is he's going to sign with A&M. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

There are some NFL GMs who don't know what the fuck they are doing. Just sayin'. Jimbo is wrong about a lot of things, but that doesn't mean he's wrong about every thing.

this is more of a general thing that i never understand - the story that coaches push out coaches because they aren't very good or can't coach only for those guys to go elsewhere or take a better position...sure NFL GMs are wrong, so are coaches. but it isn't like he went the other way (NFL --> College) - he took a step up with the same role...

He’s also saying the composite is skewed for Texas when compared to the avg ranking calculated by (247+espn+rivals)/3. Which of course doesn’t account for the gaps between final rankings.  But averaging each player ranking and then using those scores to accumulate the class ranking does, which is how the composite algorithm works. 

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

One of the best themes on texags regarding Turner was "If Jim Turner wants him, he might as well be a 5*"

Weren't all of their elite OL guys rated as 4/5 star top 50ish national recruits in high school?

Edited by Bevo14

I think the "consensus" on this board was that Turner couldn't recruit/evaluate for shit and wanted him to stick around as long as possible. See Jordan Jefferson, Josh Bankhead, Smart Chibuzo. Was he a good development coach? Sure. whatever. But in hindsight, anyone is probably a good coach compares to Henson