Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

McKinnley Jackson (Tuesday night)

VIP

• Brian PerroniSTAFF
    Posted on 12 mins, V I P, User Since 198 months ago, User Post Count: 0

So this one is basically coming down to who you ask. And both sides feel good about things. However, both sides also know he could be a wildcard.

-As you've seen, there is optimism on the Alabama side. They have been in this a long time and been in good standing for a long time. They also convinced him to come on an unofficial visit two weekends ago and saw Nick Saban visit his grandmother, who works in a nursing home. Alabama also usually wins these battles. There is reason for them to be optimistic and the optimism seems to be increasing as we get closer to the announcement time.

-But, A&M is getting more optimistic as well. I had been hearing that the Aggies were in better shape than many people thought heading into his official. Other schools were discounting A&M a bit, but I had heard from a couple places that it was an Aggie/Tide battle. And those people turned out to be right.

Jackson has remained in contact with A&M this week. He has also been talking to Alabama. But, a couple sources feel A&M is the one to beat here on the eve of the recruitment.

-All this to say - People around Alabama believe he ends up with the Tide. People around A&M believe he ends up with the Aggies. This one could go either way and it wouldn't be a shock. I still am leaning towards A&M but Nick Saban is a veteran here and knows what he is doing. However, we saw two years ago that the Aggies completely caught Bama offguard by landing Bobby Brown on Signing Day, so it is possible.

Perroni and Wiltfong updates on Jackson.

Tldr - whoop!

Spoiler

WILTFONG

So what’s up with Jackson? The 247Sports Crystal Ball continues to trend towards Alabama. The blue-chip defensive tackle took his official to Tuscaloosa during the season and returned again for an unofficial three weekends ago. I’ve talked to a handful of sources that ultimately think he picks the Crimson Tide but I’ve also talked to a few that like Texas A&M’s chances and weighing that information together, I still like the way it stands for the Aggies. Perhaps I’ll get more intel in the morning that changes this, but right now I still like Texas A&M to sign the Lucedale (Ms.) George County standout.

PERRONI

UPDATE: If things remain the same between now and when he announces, I am feeling more confident that it will be A&M. I am going to make a crystal ball prediction in favor of the Aggies. I still don’t want to discount Saban but multiple sources indicate the Aggies feel good about this one.

Reading the tea leaves

Elko told Fong that Jackson gave A&M a silent commitment. A&M agreed to pay whatever price was being asked therefore they believe they’re getting a commitment 

Bama previously agreed to pay the price so they believe they’re getting a commitment 

Advantage aggy?

Drunk Billy last night. Today should be even better. 

Spoiler

Liucci

12:24a, 2/5/20 

Staff

AG

Not a lot new to report that we haven't already said or haven't already been saying. As of midnight tonight, everything I'm hearing still adds up to things looking pretty promising for the Aggies when it comes to Lucedale (MS) defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson. Look, I get it, it's Alabama. And Nick Saban. On National Signing Day. Yep, anything can happen and I still would call this anything better than 60/40 on my confidence meter in favor of the Maroon & White and it might be even closer than that. I'm not saying Jackson is locked up as an Aggie but what I'm saying is that folks in College Station went to sleep tonight feeling good about where things stood. Long way to go until that LOI comes in, however, and Saban and the Tide aren't backing off and have been trading blows with Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies into the wee hours. At the end of the day, if the Aggies pull off what many have felt was an unthinkable coup, it will be due primarily to the incredible job DT's coach Elijah Robinson has done in terms of building an airtight bond with the coveted interior lineman.

If the Ags are going to pull off a Signing Day win in a head-to-head matchup with Bama for the services of the most coveted unsigned defensive prospect from smack dab in the middle of the Deep South, this is the way things have to be set up for it happen. Stay tuned. Neither ending would shock me but I'm sticking with my A&M pick here ladies and gents.

As for Darvon Hubbard, all signs and intel still point to the Arizona tailback signing with the Aggies tomorrow. Nothing has changed a bit since last week's in-house with Jimbo Fisher and Darrell Dickey.

And how about this final result if the Ags are able to close things out with Jackson and Hubbard in the morning?

The Aggies will have signed the best player in Texas in Demond Demas (if you watch football and have a damned clue what you're talking about you know this) and the state player of the year out of New Jersey (Fadil Diggs) and Mississippi (McKinnley Jackson).

As far as the A&M board was concerned - from wire to wire, mind you - the Aggies believe they signed the best WR (Demas), QB (Haynes King), ATH (Devon Achane), OG (Akinola Ogunbiyi) and CB (Jaylon Jones) in Texas. Nevermind the fact that Achane was disgracefully underrated by Rivals and King took an inexplicable drop in the rankings while Texas signee Hudson Card climbed and climbed despite missing a good part of his senior season with an injury. Again, at the end of the day, the Ags signed their top in-state target at six different positions, including tight end Blake Smith.

Per the composite rankings, the Ags will have signed the No. 1-ranked prospect out of Mississippi (Jackson), Illinois (Antonio Johnson) and Arkansas (Chris Morris). They also inked the #8 player in the state of Florida (Donell Harris), the #5 player in Louisiana (Edgerrin Cooper), the #3 player out of Missouri (Antonio Doyle), North Carolina's #7-ranked prospect (Muhsin Muhammad), the #4 (Fadil Diggs) and #9 (Isaiah Raikes) ranked New Jersey products and inked top fifteen talents out of Arizona (Darvon Hubbard) and Tennessee (Dallas Walker).

Speaking of the composites, a half dozen A&M signees will have come from the national top-100 if they sign McKinnley and twelve will rank among the top 159 prospects in the country. All told, a class with Jackson and Hubbard included would likely finish 6th nationally, giving the Ags last year's No. 3 overall haul behind just Georgia and Bama and this year's No. 6 class, trailing only the Dawgs, Tide, Clemson, Ohio State and LSU and edging out Auburn and Florida and likely holding off the annual surge from a rankings-adjusted and blatantly-inflated group out of Austin (what they've done this year is almost as out in the open and as shameful as the January deck-shuffling we witnessed in 2019).

All told, the Ags' Class of 2020 is already an exceptional one, one that compares very favorably to the 2019 group that saw a half dozen true freshmen start and play well this fall. Here's what as exciting as anything I've seen in a while when it comes to Texas A&M's recruiting efforts: The Ags have stacked elite-level classes that are worthy of being mentioned with all of the annual playoff contenders and they've done so before Jimbo Fisher's program has turned the corner on the field. Imagine if the Ags open up the 2020 season with a 7-0 mark heading into Auburn or make a legitimate run at an SEC West title? Then consider the fact that Fisher's recruiting machine just added one of the nation's true alpha recruiters in James Coley and ripped Marshall Malchow away from that same Georgia program...one that has stacked top three classes for four straight seasons. This is merely the tip of the iceberg, folks

4 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Drunk Billy last night. Today should be even better. 

Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

12:24a, 2/5/20 

Staff

AG

Not a lot new to report that we haven't already said or haven't already been saying. As of midnight tonight, everything I'm hearing still adds up to things looking pretty promising for the Aggies when it comes to Lucedale (MS) defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson. Look, I get it, it's Alabama. And Nick Saban. On National Signing Day. Yep, anything can happen and I still would call this anything better than 60/40 on my confidence meter in favor of the Maroon & White and it might be even closer than that. I'm not saying Jackson is locked up as an Aggie but what I'm saying is that folks in College Station went to sleep tonight feeling good about where things stood. Long way to go until that LOI comes in, however, and Saban and the Tide aren't backing off and have been trading blows with Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies into the wee hours. At the end of the day, if the Aggies pull off what many have felt was an unthinkable coup, it will be due primarily to the incredible job DT's coach Elijah Robinson has done in terms of building an airtight bond with the coveted interior lineman.

If the Ags are going to pull off a Signing Day win in a head-to-head matchup with Bama for the services of the most coveted unsigned defensive prospect from smack dab in the middle of the Deep South, this is the way things have to be set up for it happen. Stay tuned. Neither ending would shock me but I'm sticking with my A&M pick here ladies and gents.

As for Darvon Hubbard, all signs and intel still point to the Arizona tailback signing with the Aggies tomorrow. Nothing has changed a bit since last week's in-house with Jimbo Fisher and Darrell Dickey.

And how about this final result if the Ags are able to close things out with Jackson and Hubbard in the morning?

The Aggies will have signed the best player in Texas in Demond Demas (if you watch football and have a damned clue what you're talking about you know this) and the state player of the year out of New Jersey (Fadil Diggs) and Mississippi (McKinnley Jackson).

As far as the A&M board was concerned - from wire to wire, mind you - the Aggies believe they signed the best WR (Demas), QB (Haynes King), ATH (Devon Achane), OG (Akinola Ogunbiyi) and CB (Jaylon Jones) in Texas. Nevermind the fact that Achane was disgracefully underrated by Rivals and King took an inexplicable drop in the rankings while Texas signee Hudson Card climbed and climbed despite missing a good part of his senior season with an injury. Again, at the end of the day, the Ags signed their top in-state target at six different positions, including tight end Blake Smith.

Per the composite rankings, the Ags will have signed the No. 1-ranked prospect out of Mississippi (Jackson), Illinois (Antonio Johnson) and Arkansas (Chris Morris). They also inked the #8 player in the state of Florida (Donell Harris), the #5 player in Louisiana (Edgerrin Cooper), the #3 player out of Missouri (Antonio Doyle), North Carolina's #7-ranked prospect (Muhsin Muhammad), the #4 (Fadil Diggs) and #9 (Isaiah Raikes) ranked New Jersey products and inked top fifteen talents out of Arizona (Darvon Hubbard) and Tennessee (Dallas Walker).

Speaking of the composites, a half dozen A&M signees will have come from the national top-100 if they sign McKinnley and twelve will rank among the top 159 prospects in the country. All told, a class with Jackson and Hubbard included would likely finish 6th nationally, giving the Ags last year's No. 3 overall haul behind just Georgia and Bama and this year's No. 6 class, trailing only the Dawgs, Tide, Clemson, Ohio State and LSU and edging out Auburn and Florida and likely holding off the annual surge from a rankings-adjusted and blatantly-inflated group out of Austin (what they've done this year is almost as out in the open and as shameful as the January deck-shuffling we witnessed in 2019).

All told, the Ags' Class of 2020 is already an exceptional one, one that compares very favorably to the 2019 group that saw a half dozen true freshmen start and play well this fall. Here's what as exciting as anything I've seen in a while when it comes to Texas A&M's recruiting efforts: The Ags have stacked elite-level classes that are worthy of being mentioned with all of the annual playoff contenders and they've done so before Jimbo Fisher's program has turned the corner on the field. Imagine if the Ags open up the 2020 season with a 7-0 mark heading into Auburn or make a legitimate run at an SEC West title? Then consider the fact that Fisher's recruiting machine just added one of the nation's true alpha recruiters in James Coley and ripped Marshall Malchow away from that same Georgia program...one that has stacked top three classes for four straight seasons. This is merely the tip of the iceberg, folks

Looch just can't accept Texas had the higher class last season.

Choo Choo

Spoiler

Liucci’s thoughts on McKinnley Jackson

• There is 'the recruiting rankings' don't matter crowd, but they do when you have a major win today for a guy like McKinnley Jackson over Alabama. That will have a ripple effect.

• He's as good as any player Jimbo Fisher has signed. He's as good as anybody. In the grand scheme of things, he shows that A&M can go in and recruit a guy with Mike Elko and Elijah Robinson for over a year, go into the old-school deep south, SEC country and get the most coveted player left after the early signing day.

• Jackson said he has known where he's going for over a year. I've said it, Brauny has said it: A&M is going to always have a shot with Elko and Robinson. Jimbo Fisher did a great job as well. They never stopped recruiting him and building the relationship. This was 'Elite Recruiting 101.' This was as good as it gets.

• He's an absolute game-changer on the inside. If you draw up SEC gamechanger defensive tackle - that's Jackson. He's incredibly long and athletic. Look at his footwork. A 320-pounder is not supposed to move this way. I don't understand why he's not a five-star. He got moved up in the national ranking to 61, but he should be a lot higher. It doesn't matter. This guy can absolutely ball.

• This has happened three years in a row. Nick Saban would love to have Bobby Brown, DeMarvin Leal, and McKinnley Jackson. If it doesn't start to show on the field, I'll be shocked. They're starting to stack talent. You're winning these monster battles.

• Think about the defensive line A&M just signed. They had to fend off Auburn for Dallas Walker‍ out of Nashville. The fought off Penn State and Florida for Fadil Diggs‍. The fended off Florida for Donell Harris‍ , and then they go into Lucedale, MS, and get one of the best prospects away from Alabama. Oh yeah, they got Braedon Mowry‍ , and Isaiah Raikes‍, who I think might be the most underrated player in the entire class.

• This speaks volumes to the job that Elko, Terry Price, and Elijah Robinson are doing on the recruiting front nationally. It's incredible what they actually got this year.

2 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Choo Choo

Reveal hidden contents

• There is 'the recruiting rankings' don't matter crowd, but they do when you have a major win today for a guy like McKinnley Jackson over Alabama. That will have a ripple effect.

• He's as good as any player Jimbo Fisher has signed. He's as good as anybody. In the grand scheme of things, he shows that A&M can go in and recruit a guy with Mike Elko and Elijah Robinson for over a year, go into the old-school deep south, SEC country and get the most coveted player left after the early signing day.

• Jackson said he has known where he's going for over a year. I've said it, Brauny has said it: A&M is going to always have a shot with Elko and Robinson. Jimbo Fisher did a great job as well. They never stopped recruiting him and building the relationship. This was 'Elite Recruiting 101.' This was as good as it gets.

• He's an absolute game-changer on the inside. If you draw up SEC gamechanger defensive tackle - that's Jackson. He's incredibly long and athletic. Look at his footwork. A 320-pounder is not supposed to move this way. I don't understand why he's not a five-star. He got moved up in the national ranking to 61, but he should be a lot higher. It doesn't matter. This guy can absolutely ball.

• This has happened three years in a row. Nick Saban would love to have Bobby Brown, DeMarvin Leal, and McKinnley Jackson. If it doesn't start to show on the field, I'll be shocked. They're starting to stack talent. You're winning these monster battles.

• Think about the defensive line A&M just signed. They had to fend off Auburn for Dallas Walker‍ out of Nashville. The fought off Penn State and Florida for Fadil Diggs‍. The fended off Florida for Donell Harris‍ , and then they go into Lucedale, MS, and get one of the best prospects away from Alabama. Oh yeah, they got Braedon Mowry‍ , and Isaiah Raikes‍, who I think might be the most underrated player in the entire class.

• This speaks volumes to the job that Elko, Terry Price, and Elijah Robinson are doing on the recruiting front nationally. It's incredible what they actually got this year.

Buckle up haterz

12 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Choo Choo

Hide contents

Fuck looch but that is one hell of a DL class. 

Choo Choo
Spoiler

Hooooly shit. They signed the DT equivalent of Vince Young!

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

It's almost as if new information surfaced between the moment he committed to Ohio State and a year later when he dropped in the rankings? Is that even possible?

No, it's conspiracy. For sure

Well if it is a conspiracy then that means aggy is low tier enough to get fucked in the rankings.

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It's almost as if new information surfaced between the moment he committed to Ohio State and a year later when he dropped in the rankings? Is that even possible?

No, it's a conspiracy. For sure

Right. As with Haynes King, who people watched suck on national TV, it's amazing what another year of film does to players' rankings.

9 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

If he tries to run tackle to tackle with that OL he is gonna get killed. There is nothing but guards up there.

This isn't the 90s. No one is too small to run between the tackles anymore. He will be fine. Is he the best option? hell no, but Jimbo went 0-fer on top RBs this cycle. (Unless Zach Evans finally accepts Aggys offer by the fall, then they'll just trap door someone else).  

Edited by Neonmoon

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This isn't the 90s. No one is too small to run between the tackles anymore. He will be fine. Is he the best option? hell no, but Jimbo went 0-fer on top RBs this cycle. (Unless Zach Evans finally accepts Aggys offer by the fall, then they'll just trap door someone else).  

With Jackson and Hubbard they are up against the 25 cap, so Evans would have to blueshirt toward '21 and pay his own way for a year. Not seeing that. Looking like he will end up at Ole Miss or maybe Tenner? USC will have LOADS of room. Baylor will have room?!? 

Edited by golfclap