Weddings during football season

pearlandhorn

I was just invited to a friend’s wedding on October 6th. For those unfamiliar with October 6th, that is the date we will destroy the dirt burglars and the Ewok.

Seriously, do people not understand football season? The wedding is in Dallas. That’s like a crackhead being in a crack house and having to deny smoking crack.

Fuck people who get married in football season on Saturdays. That is all.

Oh, and fuck OU.

• Like 7

I have an aggie brother-in-law. A British one, which makes it worse. This goober chooses two years ago to get married on the day Texas plays OU. I threw a fit but my wife usually wins on such matters and tells me to suck it up and we end up going to this thing in Tennessee. Meanwhile, OU puts up like 700 yards and just buttfucks Chuckles in public while many of my friends and you guys were forced to watch. To this day, I'm not sure whether I should remain irritated with the BiL or thankful for his idiocy.

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Ive skipped weddings for the OU game before and i’d do it again. 

Dont go to the wedding. Simple

Yep - Done it several times. Anyone close enough to really want me to go to the wedding, knows I will not be there if it is during the OU game. 

• Like 1

I've already said to skip it, but did the groom go to UT?

If so, this is an obvious power move by the bride to be. By setting the time and date of the wedding to conflict directly with Texas/OU she's telling him "your days of scheduling around Texas Football are over." He's voluntarily entering into a world of matrimonial servitude. You need to save him. Take him to Baby Dolls the night before the wedding and find the girl who looks to have the most past-due bills to pay. Save this man.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My kid brother got married the Friday before Texas/OU in 2008.  He's goddamn family, so what was I going to do?  Ended up watching one of the best games in that series the following morning at Scholtz's with my dad and uncle. 

Bro?  I got married on texas/out in 08.  Watched the game at one of my friends house and drank beer 2 at a time in wedding gift mugs.  Damn good game and turned out to be a good day overall

People shouldn't get married

People really shouldn't get married during football season

People definitely shouldn't get married on the Saturday of the Texas/OU game

I would miss my own wedding if it was on the Saturday of the Texas/OU game so I'm for sure going to miss yours

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

People shouldn't get married

People really shouldn't get married during football season

People definitely shouldn't get married on the Saturday of the Texas/OU game

I would miss my own wedding if it was on the Saturday of the Texas/OU game so I'm for sure going to miss yours

And you forgot this one:  People should marry a stripper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve told this story on Shaggy before...

2003 (I think).  Wedding in Knoxville: one of my best friends.  It’s a bye week for TN but we’re playing Arky.  No prob.  I’ll miss the first quarter and watch the rest at the hotel bar during the reception.

I catch the score on the way out of the church.  Texas is down early.  Get to the reception and damn bar is closed.  A father of another friend comes up and tells me he can’t believe Arky is up 25 points at the half.  Seriously?  F it.  I’m just going to drink  myself happy.

10 hours later I get home and I’m drunk enough to want to know wtf happened to TX.  Turn on the VCR.  Halftime.  Wait a minute.  We’re only down by like 7.  I’m giddy.  Friend’s father was effing with me.  Maybe we won!!! 

90 mins later and we really did end up losing.  So, I got to experience Texas losing to Arkansas twice in one day.  Good times.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I've already said to skip it, but did the groom go to UT?

If so, this is an obvious power move by the bride to be. By setting the time and date of the wedding to conflict directly with Texas/OU she's telling him "your days of scheduling around Texas Football are over." He's voluntarily entering into a world of matrimonial servitude. You need to save him. Take him to Baby Dolls the night before the wedding and find the girl who looks to have the most past-due bills to pay. Save this man.

This. The precedent setting period in the marriage is already playing out. You give no quarter to this nonsense for the first few years of marriage and you set the table for the rest of your life together.  If you fold now, you only have yourself to blames for the coming years.  

I actually like weddings.  It feels good to drink in nice clothes.  And I'm also a big fan of cake and coffee.  I remember one in particular at the Barr mansion where I spent 15-20 min out of each hour out in the car listening to the game on the radio.  40-45 min of champagne and open bar.  Even though you may know the outcome I still like to watch every play the next day, to see who did well, who didn't etc. They make these things called dvr's.   You should check into them.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I think I mentioned this on Shaggy a few years ago but back in the late 80's I was a groomsman in a wedding in mid November. It was a "mixed" marriage - he went to Auburn and she went to Alabama. They managed to mess up everyone's Saturday with a 5:00 wedding. The late afternoon game was Alabama/Notre Dame and the early evening game was Auburn/Georgia. Pretty much guaranteed neither fan base was going to watch their game. I did see several folks with the old fashioned transistor radio and earpiece in the church and others were whispering for them to tell the score of the game.

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I have an aggie brother-in-law. A British one, which makes it worse. This goober chooses two years ago to get married on the day Texas plays OU. I threw a fit but my wife usually wins on such matters and tells me to suck it up and we end up going to this thing in Tennessee. Meanwhile, OU puts up like 700 yards and just buttfucks Chuckles in public while many of my friends and you guys were forced to watch. To this day, I'm not sure whether I should remain irritated with the BiL or thankful for his idiocy.

Similar - about 15 years ago I had some connection and snagged ESPN's suite or group or whatever booze catered thing it was in the cotton bowl; drunken gents weekend paid for by clients, who were not in attendance.   

Friend of mine chose to get married that weekend and, to ensure I came, asked me to be in the wedding party.   

I drank his booze, but I'm still bitter to this day.

Edited by Hurtlocker

I have to attend a wedding this fall in October. I’m only going because it’s one of my best friends. I asked him why he scheduled it during football season and all he says is “oops.” Oops?  Are you fucking kidding me? It better not conflict with the Texas game. Thank god it’s in late October and not during the Red River shootout, but still...

You all know the grooms are not choosing the wedding date,  right? This is one of those female must-haves that we roll over for.

You know how it seems every time you turn around it's time to buy a female a present? Hell, I swallowed getting married on my birthday. Which occasion do you think WE celebrated.

Turn on your phone and watch the game.

Edited by Nolacycling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nolacycling said:

You all know the grooms are not choosing the wedding date,  right? This is one of those female must-haves that we roll over for.

You know how it seems every time you turn around it's time to buy a female a present? Hell, I swallowed getting married on my birthday. Which occasion do you think WE celebrated.

This. Thankfully my family knows better and has the golden rule of NO WEDDINGS DURING FOOTBALL SEASON. That's what May through August is for.

7 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

That's what I plan on doing if it conflicts with the Texas game. 

18 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Fuck that. My wife and I (also a Texas grad) specifically said no to a fall wedding because of football. Its also the same reason we didnt have sex December - March when having kids. No fuss, no muss

My csb... Years ago buddy got engaged and he picked his groomsmen.  All fellow UT grads and he was marrying a UT grad (who is not a football fan).  He comes to us one day and tells us she has picked the date.  Yep, you guessed it: Tx/OU weekend.  All five groomsmen told him on the spot that they were out.  Buddy had to go to his fiancee and explain why she needed to pick a new date.  She was not happy, but finally relented when her father (also a UT grad) got wind of the story and stepped in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is fucking bullshit and it's making me more angry by the day.

If you really care about Texas Football as much as you claim to, and if your friends know you as much as you think they do, then if they're scheduling a wedding in the fall....they're telling you that they don't give a fuck if you go to their wedding or not.

They shouldn't be the ones offended that you no-show. You should be offended that they don't give a fuck about you. What? Does that sound selfish and stupid. Ok then, so is being angry that someone can't come to your wedding. In neither angle is the wedding party in the right here.

I suspect most of you really don't give a shit that you're missing Texas Football games and it's just a fun thing to bitch about while you're putting on your shitty rented tuxedo. Oh yes, your social life is so busy that you often have conflicts! Congratulations on having friends who don't care about you at all.

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 4

I came up with a bullshit story about spring weather being better and having additional time for planning to make sure my wedding was in March and not in October.

Football fans get married in the spring (at least in Texas).

Thems the rules.

• Like 1

I missed one of my kid's soccer games for a UT game once and we got blown out so I felt double bad for being a terrible dad. Just so you know that it can be a blessing in disguise if you don't watch it. 

Which won't be the case anymore because we are going to rape blow u. 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

My csb... Years ago buddy got engaged and he picked his groomsmen.  All fellow UT grads and he was marrying a UT grad (who is not a football fan).  He comes to us one day and tells us she has picked the date.  Yep, you guessed it: Tx/OU weekend.  All five groomsmen told him on the spot that they were out.  Buddy had to go to his fiancee and explain why she needed to pick a new date.  She was not happy, but finally relented when her father (also a UT grad) got wind of the story and stepped in.

Ha. Good ol' dad.

One of the most inconsiderate things a person can do.  I had a mixed marriage (married a Hawkeye) and we very purposefully planned around football season.  How fucking hard is it to plan around 6-7 Saturdays (home games/significant games) out of the entire year?

On 4/25/2018 at 3:19 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Agree with this and I don't even care for college football anymore.

Unless it is blood family, weddings are a horrible waste of time. Just send a nice gift. People get married so often anymore the idea of a big ceremony where everyone travels is such an outdated tradition. This has nothing to do with football season, really. People should not waste copious amounts of financial resources on what amounts to a lame dinner party with people you do not frequently see. 

3 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

One of the most inconsiderate things a person can do.  I had a mixed marriage (married a Hawkeye) and we very purposefully planned around football season.  How fucking hard is it to plan around 6-7 Saturdays (home games/significant games) out of the entire year?

Let all the women be June brides.  We would have to attend fewer weddings since there would be more conflicts and nobody would have to deal with weddings or anniversaries during football season.

All you need to do is start spreading some fake internet news that fall weddings are 6x more likely to end in divorce than spring weddings. That shit will catch on like wildfire and next thing you know, in a few years when a woman announces her October wedding date, her friends will gasp and say "Why would you DO such a thing?"

• Like 1