Weddings during football season

pearlandhorn

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Oh I'll be watching the game, IDGAF. Maybe the GROOM will have a last minute errand, but not me. Got me fucked up with that last minute bullshit. In a group text, the other groomsmen have told him that if there are any last minute errands we're not doing it until the game is over. Her dad or someone else can do it. We've all put our foot down on that subject. 

image.png.698ddda535224a35da4dcb06cfa30bf0.png

• Haha 1

Oh I'll be watching the game, IDGAF. Maybe the GROOM will have a last minute errand, but not me. Got me fucked up with that last minute bullshit. In a group text, the other groomsmen have told him that if there are any last minute errands we're not doing it until the game is over. Her dad or someone else can do it. We've all put our foot down on that subject. 

Load up on sunscreen. Dont sunburn half your face for pics.

Fall weddings are for losers.

Get married in the fall and that means every anniversary celebration can potentially fuck-up game watching.

Get married in the fall and you piss off all your groomsmen.

If your bride-to-be insists, ask yourself if she is really right for you, cuz she probably isn't. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Yep. No such thing as putting your foot down on the bride's day. They just threw down the gauntlet. It won't end well. 

Yeah but that's mostly independent of the groom. That mostly falls on the father of the bride, and it happens well before she ever gets engaged.

The best dads in the world are the ones who teach their daughters at a very early age not to go into that shit. My father once told my sister "honey, I love you but if you ever decide to have your wedding during the football season, I'll be very disappointed and if you decide to have it on TX/OU Saturday, I won't even be disappointed: I'll just send a gift."

She's happily married. Anniversary is in April. 

Did she do it out of fear that dad would keep his promise? No. She herself thinks fall weddings are the shits.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Women give zero fucks. Had a friend whose wife made them get married on his birthday so he wouldn't forget their anniversary. Meant he never had a birthday again until he divorced her. 

His wife made him get married on his birthday…. Mother fucker’s balls were already cut off and put in her purse long before he said “I do.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Went to lunch with an old friend yesterday and he asked me to be his best man. Before I accepted, I asked him when he's getting married. He says September 10th..... my whole demeanor and expression changed. He KNOWS that's the day of Texas vs Alabama! WTF! I directly tell him, "that BETTER be an evening wedding or I'm not going."

He's a Texas fan as well and says, "don't worry, it's at 5pm. I waited until the schedule was set in stone that Texas and Bama are playing at 11am before I made the final decision on the time." He also tells me that the two of us and the groomsmen are going to a bar near the venue that day to watch the game, then we'll get ready for the wedding. With that being the case, I accepted. 

However, I was curious to why he picked that day. Apparently his fiance wants to get married on the day that they started dating. Understandable. The down side is that it'll be hard for him to enjoy Texas football going forward. His fiance is a sports fan, but doesn't care about the Longhorns or any college sports. She's mainly pro sports: Cowboys, Rangers, Stars and Mavericks. 

Tell your friend it’s not too late. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Fall weddings are for losers.

Get married in the fall and that means every anniversary celebration can potentially fuck-up game watching.

Get married in the fall and you piss off all your groomsmen.

If your bride-to-be insists, ask yourself if she is really right for you, cuz she probably isn't. 

Hey, look! The church just happens to have an opening on this fall Saturday!

• Haha 3

I got married in the blisteringly hot middle of July, primarily to avoid this unpleasantness. 

There are 8 months of the year called "the offseason" and these are the appropriate months for weddings, funerals, and childbirths.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Getting married in a church is a good way to make sure nobody wants to be there anyway. A ceremony shouldn’t be more 15 minutes and the trip to the reception shouldn’t be more than 1,000 feet. 

Destination Weddings are the way to go.   Cermony and Reception usually at the same venue and if you are lucky and it's at a hotel or resort , the venue has it's  bar close by where you could sneak in to watch a game for awhile.   

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Hey, look! The church just happens to have an opening on this fall Saturday!

It's the second Saturday in October and is open for the reception venue, caterers, and florists too!

Edited by TexasEd

53 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I got married in the blisteringly hot middle of July, primarily to avoid this unpleasantness. 

There are 8 months of the year called "the offseason" and these are the appropriate months for weddings, funerals, and childbirths.  

If you have sex during the season to celebrate wins, the kid will be born in the offseason, or very early in the season before things get serious.

This is the way.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Destination Weddings are the way to go.   Cermony and Reception usually at the same venue and if you are lucky and it's at a hotel or resort , the venue has it's  bar close by where you could sneak in to watch a game for awhile.   

I'm not a fan of destination weddings because I don't really want someone else picking how and where I spend my vacation dollars.  But it's no big deal, if I get an invitation to a destination wedding I just send my RSVP with the decline, and send a nice gift.  Everybody wins.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I'm not a fan of destination weddings because I don't really want someone else picking how and where I spend my vacation dollars.  But it's no big deal, if I get an invitation to a destination wedding I just send my RSVP with the decline, and send a nice gift.  Everybody wins.

Oh I get that....      I guess my defination of destination wedding  can mean anything from going to Mexico/Carribean/ etc. or having a Hill Country Wedding ceremony/reception which many from down here do these days.   But yea I'm likely to defer on the destination wedding that is more than a day trip or maybe an overnighter unless I'm very immediate family or a member of the wedding party.  Or the destinatiion itself is on our list of wanting to go there anyway and if hits my calender just right  I can make a week long vacation out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

One of my dumbass friends got married to a girl from Oklahoma. He texts me early in the year "the wedding venue gave us a huge deal on the second Saturday of October". Yeah because the entire state shuts down to watch the red river shootout and no one up there is dumb enough to get married during the game. Sure enough the wedding starts at 11am during the stupid ass game. Luckily it was 2012 when they put up 63 points on us so all I missed was a bloodbath. 

Oh by the way they're now divorced. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 6/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, Longboard Horn said:

Went to lunch with an old friend yesterday and he asked me to be his best man. Before I accepted, I asked him when he's getting married. He says September 10th..... my whole demeanor and expression changed. He KNOWS that's the day of Texas vs Alabama! WTF! I directly tell him, "that BETTER be an evening wedding or I'm not going."

He's a Texas fan as well and says, "don't worry, it's at 5pm. I waited until the schedule was set in stone that Texas and Bama are playing at 11am before I made the final decision on the time." He also tells me that the two of us and the groomsmen are going to a bar near the venue that day to watch the game, then we'll get ready for the wedding. With that being the case, I accepted. 

However, I was curious to why he picked that day. Apparently his fiance wants to get married on the day that they started dating. Understandable. The down side is that it'll be hard for him to enjoy Texas football going forward. His fiance is a sports fan, but doesn't care about the Longhorns or any college sports. She's mainly pro sports: Cowboys, Rangers, Stars and Mavericks. 

You made the big time:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

His wife made him get married on his birthday…. Mother fucker’s balls were already cut off and put in her purse long before he said “I do.”

He was from England. She had his balls the moment she realized he needed a green card. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My dad died the weekend of the 1992 North Texas game.  It wasn't much of a game or a season, but I really would have preferred if he had stayed around to see it.

At least it’s not a date we have to set aside in order to celebrate every year.

My dad passed away early in the morning on Sep. 7, 2014, the morning after the Buckeyes lost at home to Va Tech. He missed what would be a national championship season in the first year of the CFP. You know that concrete vault that they put the casket in? The lid on his was painted scarlet.

We had a very small wedding in New Orleans at the end of September some years ago. It was on a Friday. No football plans were interfered with. 

To black out September - December is a big ask for many young couples, especially for competitive venues. There are plenty of work arounds. Friday/Sunday weddings. Labor Day weekend weddings. Bye week weddings. SEC Cupcake Saturday weddings. 

But yes, people that get married on the same day as the RRR are mentally ill. 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

At least it’s not a date we have to set aside in order to celebrate every year.

My dad passed away early in the morning on Sep. 7, 2014, the morning after the Buckeyes lost at home to Va Tech. He missed what would be a national championship season in the first year of the CFP. You know that concrete vault that they put the casket in? The lid on his was painted scarlet.

Did you combine his ashes with the couch’s in a single receptacle?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Getting married in a church is a good way to make sure nobody wants to be there anyway. A ceremony shouldn’t be more 15 minutes and the trip to the reception shouldn’t be more than 1,000 feet. 

Yup! That's how it was for a wedding I went to this past weekend. Ceremony was only 10-20 minutes, reception hall was literally next door. Plus, all the Jim Beam, Sapphire, Tanqueray and Tito's (plus longnecks) you could drink! They did their wedding right! 

14 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

One of my dumbass friends got married to a girl from Oklahoma. He texts me early in the year "the wedding venue gave us a huge deal on the second Saturday of October". Yeah because the entire state shuts down to watch the red river shootout and no one up there is dumb enough to get married during the game. Sure enough the wedding starts at 11am during the stupid ass game. Luckily it was 2012 when they put up 63 points on us so all I missed was a bloodbath. 

Oh by the way they're now divorced. 

People are stupid. Cousin got married in 08 during the red river shootout. My mother and I had tickets to the game, so what did we do? That's right; we skipped the wedding and went to the game. Long story short, Texas won, my cousin is divorced. My mother and I will forever stand by our decision.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

My guests did have to miss the Summer Olympics' opening ceremony

It is not like you have to watching something like that live. 

Anyway I did April. Cooler weather and all. I was getting updates of the Texas vs OU baseball game during the ceremony but hey it was just one regular season game and it wasn't even on TV.

Edited by Valmy77

On 6/27/2022 at 3:09 PM, n64ra said:

July wedding checking in. Never had to miss a college baseball or football game for the anniversary. Suggest you gentlemen start looking for ladies who have the same mindset.

Know someone who had a July wedding outdoors in Central Texas. Oh, and they had it on 4th of July weekend.

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

We had a very small wedding in New Orleans at the end of September some years ago. It was on a Friday. No football plans were interfered with. 
To black out September - December is a big ask for many young couples, especially for competitive venues. There are plenty of work arounds. Friday/Sunday weddings. Labor Day weekend weddings. Bye week weddings. SEC Cupcake Saturday weddings. 

But yes, people that get married on the same day as the RRR are mentally ill. 

This. Fall weddings in general don’t really bother me. Missing one football game isn’t going to kill you and no one can sit here and say with a straight face that watching Texas for the past decade has been preferable to free dinner and booze.

But Texas-OU is different. That should be off limits.