Weddings during football season

pearlandhorn

15 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

My niece's bday is at 10am this Sat in Houston.  I guess I'll try to record the game, but you know some asshole will blurt out the score. 

Don't go.  Maybe your niece should've thought better than to be born on or around Texas/ou weekend.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Good. That's what you deserve for watching the Texas/OU game on tape delay.

Your niece will have other birthdays. 

Furk

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Don't go.  Maybe your niece should've thought better than to be born on or around Texas/ou weekend.

I know right? what a bitch. 

20 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its pretty fucking easy to not get married or have kids during football season. People acting like theyre moving mountians or some shit

Act advice on how to get an entire youth soccer league to move their games to Sunday?  I need to find an am radio to listen to Craig 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this thread.

Anyone know of anyone else pushing their wedding into football season due to coronavirus? One of my older sisters was supposed to get married in June, but the venue is closed and she’s now getting married Labor Day weekend. Hopefully the wedding is on Sunday, but I’m not getting my hopes up. *groan

I told her to save money and the headache of wedding planning and to just go downtown to the county courthouse and have the justice of the peace do the ceremony. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
10 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Bumping this thread.

Anyone know of anyone else pushing their wedding into football season due to coronavirus? One of my older sisters was supposed to get married in June, but the venue is closed and she’s now getting married Labor Day weekend. Hopefully the wedding is on Sunday, but I’m not getting my hopes up. *groan

I told her to save money and the headache of wedding planning and to just go downtown to the county courthouse and have the justice of the peace do the ceremony. 

Labor Day?  I get an Autumn wedding, but Labor Day?  Might the be the first holiday people get to truly enjoy in this country since New Year's and she's gonna horde it for her wedding?  Let people enjoy that holiday weekend and do it later in September.  Better weather anyway.  I assume.

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Labor Day?  I get an Autumn wedding, but Labor Day?  Might the be the first holiday people get to truly enjoy in this country since New Year's and she's gonna horde it for her wedding?  Let people enjoy that holiday weekend and do it later in September.  Better weather anyway.  I assume.

Have friends doing the same.  Had to cancel their March wedding and the only weekend they could get the venue back was Labor Day. 

Guest Lobo

Well I got offered a great deal to have an event at my favorite falafel joint on Eid Al-Fitr.  Doesn't mean I took 'em up on it. ;) 

Yeah, it's easy to tell this to young people who think the world revolves around them...but it's really important to them and their families to get married in 2020, I'd just get down to the sparsely populated courthouse and make it official.  And then throw the party of all parties with a sort of "reboot of vows" in 2021.  

Hell my wife and I did that long before Covid-19.  Got married at Travis County Courthouse right after Labor Day in 2005 and then had a 4-day blowout in April of 2006 (with her priest cousin to make it legit in their church).  If nothing else, this virus should teach us that weddings are complete wastes of money and maybe funerals aren't the annoying, shitty experience we all thought they were.  I couldn't give two shits some cunt named Karen can't have "It's my Day!" due to Covid-19.  But my heart breaks that people can't have the overly-costly send-offs for their loved ones right now.  I know this will take someone close to me soon and I'd gladly pay $20k to be there to console the rest of us when it happens despite the bullshit overhead costs. 

Get married when it feels right and get over yourselves.  We're not even in a place yet where children can say goodbye to their parents in person.  Spouses married 60 years can't be there when their soulmate takes their last labored breath.    And we gotta listen to bullshit about refundable deposits?  

I have some friends that were planning to get married in June... rather than reschedule for for football season or spring, they just went ahead and jumped a whole year. Granted it will be Houston in June so it’ll be hot, but thank god the girl is a longhorn and knows not to do that during football season. 

Guest Lobo
13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Having my first child at the beginning of Oct.   I didn’t think this through very well 

Bullshit aside, tossing good vibes and prayers your way tonight.  Even a tiny bit of positive energy in the universe means something.  Our neighbors just delivered their baby this past weekend during what have must been a shitshow at the hospital.  But all went well despite that little sumbitch being just under 10 pounds.  We "planned" to have one more baby this past April...but she came a year early because Daddy is bad at maths.  I think the babies from 2020 will be more badass than usual for myriad reasons.  Let;s just make sure we keep grandparents around to revel.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Bullshit aside, tossing good vibes and prayers your way tonight.  Even a tiny bit of positive energy in the universe means something.  Our neighbors just delivered their baby this past weekend during what have must been a shitshow at the hospital.  But all went well despite that little sumbitch being just under 10 pounds.  We "planned" to have one more baby this past April...but she came a year early because Daddy is bad at maths.  I think the babies from 2020 will be more badass than usual for myriad reasons.  Let;s just make sure we keep grandparents around to revel.  

No doubt.  My post was mostly in jest, as you never know when it’s gonna happen.  Just worked out this way.  Plus mine will have a built in best buddy since my sister just had their first at the end of March.  Cousins close in age is all kinds of fun.  

I started reading at the top and before I made 10 posts I just had to hit the bottom end and post up myself.  Best thing, you can do is send 'em a link to this thread.  Hopefully, they'll realize what douche bags they have become.  That is all. 

11 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Bumping this thread.

Labor Day just seems a little optimistic. Do we really see big crowds being okay by then? Seems like if you're going to punt, move it a whole year. 

And for the record, I empathize strongly with the couples going through this. With everything that goes into a wedding these days I know it's a massive headache. Plus it's just hard emotionally. Know some folks who have had to go through it  - definitely don't wish it on anyone.

13 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I totally agree with you, but that’s a bold move actually saying the quiet part out loud.  

On 4/30/2018 at 4:15 PM, Saint Austin said:

In my experience, weddings during football season are also usually ones without an open bar. These people are deplorable. 

You speak the truth. I too experienced this last fall. Had to go to a wedding during the Iowa State game. At first I didn’t mind since I found out the horns played like dog shit and fucked up at the end while most of y’all were forced to watch. I was looking forward to drinking to forget. However, when I got to the reception there was no open bar. They had a chocolate fountain, pastries, tea and a coffee bar. No alcohol... 

Me and a few others guys dipped out early and went to a bar down the street to watch Baylor-OU and whatever other games were on. 

Guest Lobo
2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

You speak the truth. I too experienced this last fall. Had to go to a wedding during the Iowa State game. At first I didn’t mind since I found out the horns played like dog shit and fucked up at the end while most of y’all were forced to watch. I was looking forward to drinking to forget. However, when I got to the reception there was no open bar. They had a chocolate fountain, pastries, tea and a coffee bar. No alcohol... 

Me and a few others guys dipped out early and went to a bar down the street to watch Baylor-OU and whatever other games were on. 

a wedding during a UT football game.  With tea instead of alcohol?  And you freely associate with this people of your own accord?  I assume you're over 18 years of age and do not have to attend events against your will, right?  I mean if you are currently being held against your will and forced to do these things, just post the word "sacrosanct" and we'll come get you out of there.  I've been a couple of alcohol-free weddings but the cheap factors had the decency to do them on idle summer weekends when nothing else was going on.  My SIL was talking about having a wedding this summer, and I knew deep down inside she's be too cheap to spring for alcohol (they're not opposed to it, they drink when other people are buying)...but Covid-19 put the kaybosh on that.  

On 4/30/2018 at 3:15 PM, Saint Austin said:

In my experience, weddings during football season are also usually ones without an open bar. These people are deplorable. 

Went to a wedding during the 2015 football game (the Cal game) attended by David Boren. Give that guy an open bar at a gay wedding and some poor young gay men are getting sexually harassed. 

Little bro is scheduled to be married in Durham September 19. I pleaded with him and the girl not to do this, but her family is a basketball family (bunch of Duke grads). SMH.  At least they had the courtesy to avoid the LSU weekend, which they knew my mom and I would likely be traveling to.

Who knows what'll happen now though.

• 1 month later...

Girlfriend last night tells me that one of her best friends is getting married this fall. Yup you guessed it, October 10th during Texas-OU weekend. I told her I'm not going. She argues with something like, "even if they do play, fans won't be allowed to go." I rebuttal with, "you probably won't be able to go to your friends wedding depending on social distancing restrictions. She'll probably only be allowed to have immediate family and no one else. either way, I'm not going. Also, isn't this your friend's second wedding?"

Back in 2014 I was a groomsmen for my friend Jack's sister's wedding(she started out at OU, then transferred to Tech. Her fiance was a UT grad). She was getting married at St. Mary's Cathedral in downtown Austin on a game day. However, her fiance was smart the way he planned it. He looked at both the UT and OU schedules(since a good amount of her mom's side of the family lives in Oklahoma and went to OU). He planned a night time wedding with a 7:30pm start and picked a day the Horns were away. It worked out perfectly as neither fan base missed their game. Texas was the 11am away game at K-State and OU was the 2:30 game.  

Didn't stick around for the reception. Me and a few of the groomsmen dipped out and went to 6th street. Woke up the next morning hungover next to a bridesmaid.  

Edited by Longboard Horn
Fuck football season weddings, OU sucks!

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Girlfriend last night tells me that one of her best friends is getting married this fall. Yup you guessed it, October 10th during Texas-OU weekend. I told her I'm not going. She argues with something like, "even if they do play, fans won't be allowed to go." I rebuttal with, "you probably won't be able to go to your friends wedding depending on social distancing restrictions. She'll probably only be allowed to have immediate family and no one else. either way, I'm not going. Also, isn't this your friend's second wedding?"

Check & mate.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 11:55 AM, SnowAggy said:

Yeah, this kind of falls into that "do you want to be right or do you want to be happy" category. Good job letting her know you won't be going, not sure I would have gone with the "second wedding jab", it will only come up again a friends third and fourth weddings .

I got lucky. I married a girl that let me skip her sisters wedding because of a Texas-Rice game!

Went to a wedding during the 2015 football game (the Cal game) attended by David Boren. Give that guy an open bar at a gay wedding and some poor young gay men are getting sexually harassed. 
In hindsight, I'd much rather have been sexually harassed than watched that game.

Yeah don't even bring up football. that'll just piss her off. Wedding is stupid bc of covid. Focus on that.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Went to lunch with an old friend yesterday and he asked me to be his best man. Before I accepted, I asked him when he's getting married. He says September 10th..... my whole demeanor and expression changed. He KNOWS that's the day of Texas vs Alabama! WTF! I directly tell him, "that BETTER be an evening wedding or I'm not going."

He's a Texas fan as well and says, "don't worry, it's at 5pm. I waited until the schedule was set in stone that Texas and Bama are playing at 11am before I made the final decision on the time." He also tells me that the two of us and the groomsmen are going to a bar near the venue that day to watch the game, then we'll get ready for the wedding. With that being the case, I accepted. 

However, I was curious to why he picked that day. Apparently his fiance wants to get married on the day that they started dating. Understandable. The down side is that it'll be hard for him to enjoy Texas football going forward. His fiance is a sports fan, but doesn't care about the Longhorns or any college sports. She's mainly pro sports: Cowboys, Rangers, Stars and Mavericks. 

• Like 1

My wedding anniversary is October 9th, so this hit close to home.  The year we married the game was the day before and we hosted a watch party, soo I'm not a total dickweed---at least not for that reason. Upshot is we are usually on an anniversary trip during Texas OU week. The wife is aware of my priorities so we we always find a Texas Exes watch party in whatever town we are in. Best by far experience was DC in 2018. Huge turnout and great game. Also Fuck OU.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Went to lunch with an old friend yesterday and he asked me to be his best man. Before I accepted, I asked him when he's getting married. He says September 10th..... my whole demeanor and expression changed. He KNOWS that's the day of Texas vs Alabama! WTF! I directly tell him, "that BETTER be an evening wedding or I'm not going."

He's a Texas fan as well and says, "don't worry, it's at 5pm. I waited until the schedule was set in stone that Texas and Bama are playing at 11am before I made the final decision on the time." He also tells me that the two of us and the groomsmen are going to a bar near the venue that day to watch the game, then we'll get ready for the wedding. With that being the case, I accepted. 

However, I was curious to why he picked that day. Apparently his fiance wants to get married on the day that they started dating. Understandable. The down side is that it'll be hard for him to enjoy Texas football going forward. His fiance is a sports fan, but doesn't care about the Longhorns or any college sports. She's mainly pro sports: Cowboys, Rangers, Stars and Mavericks. 

pro only fans are the worst

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Uh, yeah, you're not watching the game. The bride or the the bride's mother will find some last-second errands or jobs for you to do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Uh, yeah, you're not watching the game. The bride or the the bride's mother will find some last-second errands or jobs for you to do.

Oh I'll be watching the game, IDGAF. Maybe the GROOM will have a last minute errand, but not me. Got me fucked up with that last minute bullshit. In a group text, the other groomsmen have told him that if there are any last minute errands we're not doing it until the game is over. Her dad or someone else can do it. We've all put our foot down on that subject. 

• Hook 'Em 2