Deftones

Bogeywon

Been listening the their catalog on Spotify and man they are just one of the most consistent bands. All their shit is good. stephen carpenter is one of my guitar hero’s. Also the drummer is no joke. I have always dug their style. 

I could post more links but you get it. Any other fans?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, stc said:

it's unfortunate that stephen carpenter is a flat earther and conspiracy theorist...but whatever, riffs. 

Is he really? That sucks. But his tones are awesome. He’s got a signature 8 string guitar. Like dude I can barely took around on 6 I don’t need 2 more strings 

13 hours ago, stc said:

it's unfortunate that stephen carpenter is a flat earther and conspiracy theorist...but whatever, riffs. 

Lol really? You just reminded me of that documentary “Dig.” When it takes an odd detour and you find out Mixmaster Mike believes in alien abductions and shit. 

I’ve been a pretty big fan for 20+ years now (crazy). The new record is solid. Can’t say Ive really loved any album since the 2003 s/t, but there’s great songs on every album. New album impressed me. I like the production and soundscapes. I’m obsessed with that opening riff on Ohms.

Last big concert I attended was last year’s Dia De Los Deftones. I love them for inviting Hum to come play their festival. Chvrches and Brutus were badass too. Their beer wasn’t bad either.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Lol really? You just reminded me of that documentary “Dig.” When it takes an odd detour and you find out Mixmaster Mike believes in alien abductions and shit. 

I’ve been a pretty big fan for 20+ years now (crazy). The new record is solid. Can’t say Ive really loved any album since the 2003 s/t, but there’s great songs on every album. New album impressed me. I like the production and soundscapes. I’m obsessed with that opening riff on Ohms.

Last big concert I attended was last year’s Dia De Los Deftones. I love them for inviting Hum to come play their festival. Chvrches and Brutus were badass too. Their beer wasn’t bad either.

Are you talking about the song genesis? I’ve been into them around 97. Also one of the all time great band names. I just think they are just good music. Like you kinda know what your gonna get type stuff but in a good way. 

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in a bit late, but checking in. I didn't join the bandwagon until maybe 5 years ago, only around then did I start getting into deeper rock anyway. 

Listen to White Pony fairly often, especially while working out. Don't mind the new albums (Ohms), it sounds so much like a continuation of their style, so yeah I agree they are consistent. 

Interesting that they invited Chvrches to their Dia de los Deftones show (tour?), they don't seem like a natural pairing. I saw them both at a SXSW concert in 2018 I think. It was a show put on by Spin magazine, and Deftones "opened" for Chvrches (as much as anybody really "opens" for anybody at SXSW), I left after a couple of Chvrches songs. Anyway, that show solidified me as a fan. Yeah Chino doesn't sound as great as he does on the albums, but I was genuinely impressed with the energy and his singing at Stubb's. Good show. Rocked hard. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 7:29 PM, BurdineBandit said:

Checking in a bit late, but checking in. I didn't join the bandwagon until maybe 5 years ago, only around then did I start getting into deeper rock anyway. 

Listen to White Pony fairly often, especially while working out. Don't mind the new albums (Ohms), it sounds so much like a continuation of their style, so yeah I agree they are consistent. 

Interesting that they invited Chvrches to their Dia de los Deftones show (tour?), they don't seem like a natural pairing. I saw them both at a SXSW concert in 2018 I think. It was a show put on by Spin magazine, and Deftones "opened" for Chvrches (as much as anybody really "opens" for anybody at SXSW), I left after a couple of Chvrches songs. Anyway, that show solidified me as a fan. Yeah Chino doesn't sound as great as he does on the albums, but I was genuinely impressed with the energy and his singing at Stubb's. Good show. Rocked hard. 

I really like ohms. Opening track is my favorite. After covid I’m going to like ninehundredtrillionbillion concerts the year it’s safe 

• Hook 'Em 1

Deftones was my favorite band in most of high school. We drove up from Rockport to see them at the Austin Music Hall July 2000 between jr/sr year of HS and just had a blast. The concert melted our fucking faces off, one of my friends almost passed out and had to get pulled over the front railing. What an amazing introduction to Austin that was for us.

They hold up so well, I still listen to them frequently. Great workout music.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They played deep Ellum live in ‘98 and during the first song the barricade completely collapsed. Chino had security come and take it all out. The show was insane after that. He was doing flips off the speakers into the crowd. Crazy shit. At the end he crowd surfed all the way out the front door and ran to the bus. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Around the Fur and White Pony for me. You know a band is great when they can evolve instead of being stuck. 

Like Queens of the Stone Age. Every album gets better. 

Just the level of consistency and the fact that they are just a very VERY tight band. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Just the level of consistency and the fact that they are just a very VERY tight band. 

Most definitely. Got a chance to see them a few times, with the last time being with Incubus in 2015. What a show. Adrenaline is an underrated album, too. Haven't gotten a chance to check out Ohms yet, have you?

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Most definitely. Got a chance to see them a few times, with the last time being with Incubus in 2015. What a show. Adrenaline is an underrated album, too. Haven't gotten a chance to check out Ohms yet, have you?

56 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I probably don’t like Ohms as much as most people and I like it quite a bit. 

I love it but I’m a big fan. They are a heavy influence when I write hardcore riffs like this. Normally plugged into my mesa single rec and I get lost in the riff

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Just finished Ohms last night while the lady was at work, and I gotta say it's different, but not in a bad way. I think it's gonna take a few listens to adjust to it, but it's by no means shitty or anything. I had to do the same thing with Tools newest album and now I love it. 

I really liked it out of the gate. I like to get lost in the music with headphones in. My favorite 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think you're sadly right. Sucks. I really hoped this shit would die down a little at this point, but it's like a fun house of chlamydia at a hooker resort.

Yeah I’m not doing it. My cousin who works for the AP press who’s from NY got me Jojo siwa meet and greet tickets for august in Tampa. Was gonna stay in Clearwater and take her as a daddy daughter trip (no pic) sucks man

4 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Yeah I’m not doing it. My cousin who works for the AP press who’s from NY got me Jojo siwa meet and greet tickets for august in Tampa. Was gonna stay in Clearwater and take her as a daddy daughter trip (no pic) sucks man

Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. This year plus is devastating to all of us. My wife and I were going to see my sister in NC and then my dad passed suddenly of Covid in August. I haven't been the same since. I feel for anyone whose life/lives have been affected, no matter how big or small. I just hope for a semblance of normalcy soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. This year plus is devastating to all of us. My wife and I were going to see my sister in NC and then my dad passed suddenly of Covid in August. I haven't been the same since. I feel for anyone whose life/lives have been affected, no matter how big or small. I just hope for a semblance of normalcy soon. 

I’m very sorry for your loss that is terrible 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chad said:

I felt Ohms was innovative and had a fresh, yet familiar sound to it. Their best work? No. Was it a good listen? Yes. Nothing will top White Pony, but Ohms was still a good album.

Agree with all this but I'll always have ATF as their best.

• 3 weeks later...