NHL 2020-2021

cactusflinthead

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

20 minute banner raising ceremony in an empty arena in Tampa seemed kind of excessive.

and it wasn't even the official one, I don't think. I think they're planning to do another in front of fans. They should do that shit before game time

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

So they sit on the bench right next to each other without face mask along with playing and practice. Plus probably tested daily. Yet if they get together in there hotel without mask its a risk.

Edited by mbtex
  • Like 1

NBC holds the NHL’s national rights, but NBCSN aired more NHL national games than NBC. The NHL’s TV deal with NBC is up at the end of the 2020-21 season. This leads to a natural question, what does this mean for the NHL?

Apparently, the gloom and doom talk should be put on pause for the league.

“It’s all good for the NHL,” Patrick Crakes, a former Fox Sports executive who now runs Crakes Media Consulting said. “There is no bad here for the NHL.”

According to Crakes, it’s a two-fold development of positivity for the NHL. For starters, if NHL games are moving from NBCSN to USA, the league is moving into more homes and gaining more viewership.

Crakes said it’s possible that NBC could use the NHL to put exclusive games within it’s Peacock streaming platform, which NBC has been working to bolster, but the NHL likely wouldn’t allow that to happen without at least keeping a similar number of games broadcast on USA or NBC, if not more.

And even if NBC is looking for fewer NHL games, which is possible, it opens the league to more easily pick up a second national TV partner.

“The NHL can now make more money with another high-quality partner in addition to NBC at the end of this deal,” Crakes said. “If that’s the case, where is the bad?”

This could set up a situation where the NHL has a national partnership with NBC and either ESPN or Fox, which both have been reportedly interested in NHL rights once NBC’s deal comes to a close.

Industry observers have looked at the NHL’s national television deal as something that could somewhat mimic what the NBA does with multiple partners. Whether it’s a coincidence or causation, the shuttering of NBCSN could make it easier for the league to explore those options.

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Lol, Laine playing for torts is gonna work as well as a fart in a space suit 

Was thinking the exact same thing.  On the whole, Laine is better than Dubois, and Roslovic is better than a 3rd-rounder, but I doubt that Laine will be better under Torts.

This is some Pac-12-level incompetence:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The NHL said human error — specifically the actions of an over-exuberant off-ice official-in-training within Nationwide Arena — led to a controversial goal and the bizarre chain of events that followed in the Blue Jackets’ 6-5 loss to Carolina on Sunday.

Late in the second period, the Blue Jackets challenged a goal by Hurricanes forward Vincent Trocheck, believing the play to be offside. After a quick review, the goal was allowed to stand, and the Jackets went on the penalty kill because the challenge was unsuccessful.

If you thought the call was bizarre — replays showed Trocheck clearly in the zone ahead of the puck seconds before the goal was scored — brace yourself for the explanation of how it all unfolded.

The league, it turns out, never actually upheld the “good goal” ruling. They were still in the process of reviewing the play when the wrong information was passed along to NHL referee Ghislain Hebert, who then announced that the goal would stand, according to executive vice president and director of hockey operations, Colin Campbell.

How did the wrong information get passed along?

Nationwide Arena’s off-ice officials are in the process of training a video coordinator, a person charged with making sure NHL hockey-operations executives in Toronto can connect with NHL officials at ice level for just this kind of review, using both audio (headsets) and video (Apple iPads).

“The video technician is just supposed to coordinate this upstairs (at press level),” Campbell told The Athletic in a late-night interview. “They’re not supposed to get involved. They’re just supposed to set up things. We do the communicating with the (officials).

“We sent the first video (clip) for the linesmen to review — we’re looking at them, too, in Toronto — and we hear a voice on the line say, ‘He’s onside. That’s a good goal.’ He said it twice! The linesmen (Jonny Murray and Tyson Baker) heard that, took off the headsets and stepped away so they could make the call.”

Hebert made the announcement.

At this point, panic ensued in three different places: the NHL war room, which frantically tried to get the on-ice officials back on the headsets; the video-review booth in Nationwide Arena, where the trainee made a crucial mistake; and in Campbell’s home, where he sat in his office and watched this play out in horror.

Senior vice president of hockey operations Kris King was working in Toronto. He’s the one who should have been communicating a ruling to Murray and Baker.

“I heard Kris King say, ‘This is not your call!'” Campbell said. “I thought he was having an argument with a linesman. He was saying, ‘This is our call, not your call! What are you doing?’

“We hadn’t shown the linesmen the other view, the one that clearly showed the offside. So in all fairness to the linesmen, they could only deal with what he saw, and he skated away because he heard somebody say ‘good goal.’ Twice.”

At this point, the COVID-19 pandemic played a role in the mayhem … because of course it did.

“We were trying to get the guys’ attention downstairs, to stop the linesmen before they could resume play,” Campbell said. “We were screaming into the headsets, ‘Get ’em back on there, get ’em back on!’ because (the off-ice official in the penalty box) usually just puts the headphones right back on his own head (after a linesman uses them).”

But under the NHL’s COVID protocols, the penalty-box official is charged with sterilizing the headsets before they can be worn by somebody else, and he began doing this immediately as the officials skated away to announce their ruling.

For a minute or more as he cleaned, Campbell said, the official was oblivious to NHL executives bellowing into the headset, nor did he notice the strobe light that had been turned on to get the attention of somebody at ice level.

“So he’s down there cleaning the (headset), not putting them back on, as they drop the puck. Meanwhile, we’re looking at two other reviews.”

Those two other reviews, of course, showed that Carolina’s Trocheck was offside, meaning the score still should have been tied 3-3 and the Blue Jackets should not have been on the penalty kill.

But by the time the NHL finished watching all of the clips, the second period had ended and the Blue Jackets had already killed off one minute, 15 seconds of a penalty that never should have been called.

“We get to the end of the (second) period and I’m saying, ‘This is just freakin’ wrong,'” Campbell said. “I talked to (Blue Jackets GM) Jarmo Kekäläinen a few times, and I told him, ‘Jarmo, we screwed up here. This is wrong. This was the wrong call.’

“We were talking in the referees’ room (during the second intermission) with (NHL official Chris) Rooney. I told him I’d like to take the goal back, but we’ve never had a situation where we’ve taken a goal back after play had resumed like that.”

The NHL debated how to proceed as the intermission time ticked away, Campbell said.

“There’s never been a goal reversed after play has resumed,” Campbell said. “I can’t recall when a penalty has been wiped out in the middle of it, either, but at this point … even though it’s the wrong procedure, I’d rather go with what’s right.

“If we took the penalty away, Carolina could say, ‘You can’t reverse a power play in the middle of the power play. That’s not the procedure. How can you do that?’ I get that, too.

“But I will take my chance with that and just do the right thing, because it certainly wasn’t right that (Columbus) should be killing a penalty. I mean, if Carolina scores on that power play, it’s a two-goal mistake. That can’t happen.”

Kekäläinen asked the NHL to strike the goal. In that scenario, the score would revert to 3-3, the time would reset to when the “good goal” ruling occurred — 18:45 of the second — and the two teams would finish the 1:15 after the second intermission. Then, they’d switch sides of the ice and play the final 20, similar to what is done when there’s broken glass or a clock malfunction late in a period.

“I told Jarmo I wished we could strike the goal, but there’s no precedent for that,” Campbell said.

The decision was made to cancel the remaining 45 seconds of penalty-kill time the Blue Jackets would have faced to start the third period, which is why NHL officials could be seen skating to the Columbus and Carolina dressing rooms during the second intermission.

They wanted to inform both coaching staffs of the bizarre and unprecedented decision before the teams returned to the ice. Fox Sports Ohio had footage of NHL referee Chris Rooney and Murray explaining the call to players outside the dressing room before the third period started.

As fate would have it, the Blue Jackets lost 6-5. They lost by one goal on a night when one of Carolina’s goals shouldn’t have counted.

“The (video coordinator) was eager, he was trying to get involved, but that’s not his place to get involved,” said Campbell, who declined to share the off-ice official’s name.

“He just didn’t understand that this isn’t his role to be involved in this. He’s the caretaker of what goes on there, making sure all the communication is taking place. But once the connection is made, it’s us talking to the officials.

“It’s an unfortunate situation. He jumped the gun. He feels awful. We all feel awful.”

The NHL will consider two responses in the wake of this, Campbell said.

• The league has wanted, for some time now, he said, to be able to “stop play” directly from the control room in Toronto. In other words, they’ve considered ways to stop the game without needing to gain the attention of the off-ice officials in the penalty box.

• The league will consider again the role of the video coordinator as part of the off-ice officials in each of the rinks. This is tricky, though, Campbell said, because if a video connection to Toronto is lost, the video coordinator upstairs becomes the sole provider of video clips to officials for the purposes of replay.

It was a long night for the league on Sunday, Campbell said.

“We’re pretty easy to beat up,” he said. “We have to be perfect. We were wrong here, and we should be perfect. We’ve been pretty good, but shit happens and it happened (Sunday), unfortunately.”

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, jetsfan76 said:

Looks like Laine got benched for mouthing off to an assistant. Torts don't fuck around.

Columbus Blue Jackets forward Patrik Laine was benched during Monday's game against the Hurricanes because he "verbally disrespected" a member of the coaching staff, a source told The Athletic on Tuesday.

Laine, who was playing in his fourth game since being acquired from Winnipeg in a blockbuster trade, did not play after the 13:41 mark of the second period. Head coach John Tortorella said after the game the benching "wasn't because of the missed assignment," adding, "a number of things come into play with that. That'll stay in the locker room."

shocker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...