A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

Nothing has more fury than an Ex-Republican Never Trumper.

2/ His incompetence, malfeasance, and evil shouldn’t be laughed off as narcissism or ignorance. He was surrounded by corrupt, wicked, cruel counselors and reveled in it. Emerson once said of Lincoln’s presidency “an institution is the lengthened shadow of a man.” He was right.

3/ Trump’s cruelty, division, insurrection, treason and corruption are unrivaled in history. He is the nadir of presidential leadership. He was enabled by the weak, the venal, the desperate, and the compromised. It was empowered by voices normalizing and rationalizing his evils.

4/ His abuse of power should come as no surprise. There are no better angels in Donald Trump’s nature. There was never a bottom. There was never any maturation, self-reflection, or a “day he became president.” It would always end this way.

5/ A life free of consequence, accountability, justice, or moral reckonings put a man in charge of this nation with no guiderails, no boundaries, no ethical compass. The American carnage from his inaugural address was real, and he embodied every iota of it.

6/ The claque of his sycophants will haunt us for a generation. They will try to clean up his philosophy and embody his authoritarianism while wearing better suits and waving credentials from an Ivy. His cult will await the second coming and his spawn will run for office.

51507786.jpg

Except for the optimism Rick Wilson expresses in parts 7 and 8.  I'm not seeing or saying that at all.  Good hasn't "won" over evil.  At most, we've stopped its advance.  If Churchill was here, he'd tell us that 

"Now this is not the end.
It is not even the beginning of the end.
But it is, perhaps,
the end of the beginning."

We have much work to do, and a long and bitter fight still in front of us.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

was discussing florida last night.  let the nutters have florida.  build a wall from amelia island to perry.

I response, I think that utilities throughout the country should do things like name a "Donald J. Trump Septic Field" and stuff like that.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Apologies if this is an insensitive metaphor, but today feels just a little bit like what I'd imagine a person feels after leaving the hospital following a final chemo treatment.

I think it's a pretty apropos comparison. We even get the same anxiety of never really knowing if we actually beat trumpism (the cancer) and it's in permanent remission, or if we're going to be plagued by it for the rest of our days.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Apologies if this is an insensitive metaphor, but today feels just a little bit like what I'd imagine a person feels after leaving the hospital following a final chemo treatment.

I've been there, and every one is different, but I am feeling more like this:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

was discussing florida last night.  let the nutters have florida.  build a wall from amelia island to perry.

Why not.  It will piss off the racists in ten years when we have his name removed. 

Drain the swamp, eh?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/politics/trump-revokes-lobby-ban/index.html

Washington (CNN)As his term comes to an end, President Donald Trump revoked a rule he signed early in his term that imposed a five-year lobbying ban for administration officials and a lifetime ban on lobbying for foreign governments.

Trump had signed the order "Ethics Commitments by Executive Branch Appointees" within his first week in office as part of his campaign promise to "drain the swamp" in Washington.

But now, as he and his advisers depart the White House, Trump is presumably allowing for those officials to begin lobbying when they leave government.

The January 28, 2017 executive order required appointees to pledge that they will not "engage in lobbying activities with respect" to the executive agency they were appointed to serve within five years after "termination of their employment" -- effectively allowing them to lobby other areas.

As a presidential candidate in 2016, Trump initially called for enacting the five-year lobbying ban through legislation and for a similar restriction for members of Congress and their staff. But his executive order was ultimately free of that language.

At the signing, Trump slammed former President Barack Obama for enacting a two-year lobbying ban for officials who left his administration, saying his Democratic predecessor's order was insufficient and full of loopholes.

close dialog

CNN's Chris Cillizza cuts through the political spin and tells you what you need to know.

Sign Me Up

No Thanks

By subscribing, you agree to our

privacy policy.

But Trump's order appeared to borrow language from Obama's directive and a similar lobbying ban signed by former President Bill Clinton, NPR reported at the time.

Biden prepares to conjure hope and bear pain for a grieving nation

Because lobbying can be ambiguously titled in practice, former staffers can still "shadow" lobby or cash in on their government expertise by joining firms where they help lobbyists and lobbying firm clients navigate Washington without formally registering as lobbyists.

Clinton had also nixed the five-year lobbying ban at the end of his tenure, which Trump had criticized during the 2016 campaign.

"He rigged the system on his way out," Trump said of Clinton as he ran against his wife, Hillary Clinton.

President-elect Joe Biden, who will be sworn in on Wednesday, plans to implement several new ethics restrictions early in his presidency, including barring employees who leave his administration from lobbying the administration for the length of Biden's term in office, CNN reported Tuesday.

The ethics rules, first reported by The Washington Post, also would prohibit departing executive branch employees from shadow lobbying for one year after leaving government.

58 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

from my own perspective, today reminds me of the day that i celebrated the completion of one full  year of being clean and sober: a true sense of accomplishment but also a reminder to be ever-diligent on a daily basis.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

NY AG have any press conferences scheduled for today?

31 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Has he been indicted by New York yet?

Release the (real) Kraken!!!!!!

Also, will Mike Pence ever talk to Donald Trump again?

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

happy shawshank redemption GIF

I feel like I crawled through 4 years of shit and have now come out the other end.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Kinda think Trump would go to prison willingly if it reinstated his twitter account.

He probably only found out today that his account was suspended. Maybe his handlers didn't want his feelings to be hurt, so the white house IT team built a fake Twitter and he has been posting on it for the last 2 weeks. 

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to A story about a pathetic man's downfall
  • Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement