A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

This may be semantics but you are actually describing agnosticism. Atheism is affirmative belief that there is no God. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. That is the appeal to ignorance fallacy. Could also be denying the antecedent depending on how the argument is made

Yeah this. 
athiesm is “I believe there is no god, despite the only proof of that is the lack of proof otherwise.”

agnosticism is “I can’t believe in god when there’s no proof of it.”

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think buck is saying its impossible to know if there is a God or not. He’s saying there is no God because there is no proof. That’s atheism. Meaning, he would be inclined to believe a God exists if there was measurable and repeatable proof.

But he is also saying it’s not a belief but rather a logical conclusion (unless I misread him). It is not. 

Edit the bolded statement is logically fallacious 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Groovy. I’m a man of faith. But his first lines are absolutely correct. Atheists have no burden of proof. They simply point to the lack of proof, and say “things that are not proven, I do not believe.” That is sound logical and evidence-based reasoning. Believe in God is a matter of faith, not proof. That’s okay, too. Both things are what they are.
Agreed with both. How does faith have fuck all to do with FTG? I'm happy to discuss my faith on an appropriate thread. I've experienced and seen shit I don't expect many to even entertain discussing without outright dismissiveness or ridicule. What's the point of continually pointing out you've reached your burden of proof on a topic. I feel like we all settled this at 18 with a J and 6 pack. Faith or not. Move on. I have friends of all faiths.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Groovy. I’m a man of faith. But his first lines are absolutely correct. Atheists have no burden of proof. They simply point to the lack of proof, and say “things that are not proven, I do not believe.” That is sound logical and evidence-based reasoning. Believe in God is a matter of faith, not proof. That’s okay, too. Both things are what they are.

I get agnosticism because it is to me a reasonably intellectually coherent position to hold. The certitude that attends atheism makes it a cousin to belief. In order to announce the non existence of God, one would need to have knowledge of all that is out there to be known. Since nobody has that kind of knowledge, it makes the belief in God reasonable, and the declaration of God’s non existence unreasonable.

Since this is a thread about a pathetic man turned bastardized fantasy Hamm/Hitchens debate, that pathetic man is a pretty on-the-nose analog to Old Testament-style judgement against a nation.

“God’s people” turn from Him and do what’s right in their own eyes, so we get a leader who is the human form of all of the wickedness “God’s people” are relentlessly pursuing; many many die, we all hate each other, and yet another board turns into parallel competing apologetics conferences.

5 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I respect your right to believe what you will.

But saying atheism Isn’t a belief, too? Your argument doesn’t convince me. 

Perhaps you could share the fallacy involved? Because it seems atheists are making a claim: that there is no God.

In the Torah, God defines Himself, in part, as a totality of all that is seen and unseen. That partial definition jibes with our understanding of matter, and predates our knowledge of dark matter by millennia. Further, the creation myth put down in Genesis  largely correlates  (though pendants are free to disagree) our understanding of how we cane to be. There were plants prior to animal life, creatures began in the water, birds before mammals. These things do not contradict what science believes. Lucky guess?

Much of common belief about the creation myth doesn’t correspond to what was written. For instance, Adam was not the first human. Further, what was written had earlier been an oral tradition. In this, the Torah is not unique. Oral traditions rely on literal fidelity. Separating the literal transference of narrative when the narrative is allegorical has been problematic. As evidenced in your argument against the existence of God.

Disbelief is not belief. Like I’ve pointed out before, atheism is a belief system the same way that “off” is a tv channel. If you’re not a Scientologist, is your not being a Scientologist a belief system? Religious believers believe in one religion, one of many, almost always the same one their parents believed in. There are a couple of great quotes, I don’t know who first said them and I’m too lazy to look them up right now. And maybe I’m not getting them exactly right, but here goes:

“When you understand why you don’t believe in all the other religions in the world, you’ll understand why I don’t believe in yours.”

And:

“We’re all atheists, some of us just believe in one fewer religion than others.”

There is an infinite universe of non-existent things I don’t believe in, the vast majority of which have never been conceived by the human mind. But let’s stick to things that have been imagined like, say, Leprechauns. My disbelief in Leprechauns isn’t a belief system anymore than my disbelief in God is. The difference between the atheist and the theist is that the atheist’s disbelief is disprovable. If there is such a thing as a god, he/she/it/them are free to show up at anytime. If I ever see a Leprechaun then I’ll believe in Leprechauns. I’ve got a sound inductive reason to disbelieve in both “God” and Leprechauns.

And finally, with regard to the god of Abraham, jealousy is a negative human emotion that no supreme being would ever experience. And what’s up with the need to be worshipped? That’s a petty, small, insecure god. It’s like the Donald Trump of gods. That can only be a human invention. Not a belief system, just a logical observation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

So, it is reasonable to not believe in the existence of dark matter? I get that it makes the numbers work. Yet there’s  no empirical proof.

The only reason we believe in dark matter is empirical evidence. Do you mean direct evidence?

22 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My body is ready. And so are my finances. I borrowed as much as I could against every asset I have, and then quickly sold those assets. And dumped all of that into LGB crypto.  All that’s left is to select the beach from which I will be earning 20%. 

I remain optimistic. 

14 hours ago, Bookman said:

The only reason we believe in dark matter is empirical evidence. Do you mean direct evidence?

No argument. And, yes.

At any rate, I get that the certainty with which Buck knows of the non-existence of God is offended when demeaned ,when it is called a belief. I  will be more considerate  from here on.. I’ll learn how I’m wrong privately, if @WhatTheBuck Is willing, at some point i the future. Unless I’m on topic. I don’t know. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/03/politics/donald-trump-russian-interference-election-politics/index.html

Former President Donald Trump’s Department of Homeland Security delayed and altered an intelligence report related to Russian interference in the 2020 election, making changes that “appear to be based in part on political considerations,” according to a newly released watchdog report.

The April 26 Homeland Security inspector general’s assessment provides a damning look at the way DHS’ Office of Intelligence and Analysis dealt with intelligence related to Russia’s efforts to interfere in the US, stating the department had deviated from its standard procedures in modifying assessments related to Moscow’s targeting of the 2020 presidential election.

The conclusion that Trump’s appointee appeared to have tried to downplay Russian meddling in a key intelligence report is the latest example of how his aides managed his aversion to any information about how Russia might be helping his election prospects. According to special counsel Robert Mueller’s report, Trump officials tried to avoid the topic during meetings and at hearings, because he would become enraged and upset when Russian meddling came up.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

No argument. And, yes.

At any rate, I get that the certainty with which Buck knows of the non-existence of God is offended when demeaned ,when it is called a belief. I  will be more considerate  from here on.. I’ll learn how I’m wrong privately, if @WhatTheBuck Is willing, at some point i the future. Unless I’m on topic. I don’t know. 

Are you a believer? Yes or no.

You sound like a believer who just can’t comprehend what it’s like not to believe. 

On 5/2/2022 at 3:39 PM, Satchel said:

Yeah, Trump got jiggy with it. He’s a dumb, fat Putin:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/politics/bender-book-trump-milley-protests/index.html

"That's how you're supposed to handle these people," Trump told his top law enforcement and military officials, according to Bender. "Crack their skulls!"
Trump also told his team that he wanted the military to go in and "beat the f--k out" of the civil rights protesters, Bender writes…

"Just shoot them," Trump said on multiple occasions inside the Oval Office, according to the excerpts.
When Milley and then-Attorney General William Barr would push back, Trump toned it down, but only slightly, Bender adds

Just shows that Trump thought that because he was President he could do anything and say anything and it would happen. He acted like he was king. He had no clue and he still thinks he’s king.

53 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Just shows that Trump thought that because he was President he could do anything and say anything and it would happen. He acted like he was king. He had no clue and he still thinks he’s king.

Well, he did claim (incorrectly) that Article II of the Constitution gave him unlimited power. Of course he thought he was king. He thought he was the emperor. He think that’s what special people like him deserve. That’s why he admires authoritarians like Putin and Kim and Xi. He thinks he’s in their class, entitled to complete control and the right to enrich himself because of it. That’s how he thinks the world works.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, he did claim (incorrectly) that Article II of the Constitution gave him unlimited power. Of course he thought he was king. He thought he was the emperor. He think that’s what special people like him deserve. That’s why he admires authoritarians like Putin and Kim and Xi. He thinks he’s in their class, entitled to complete control and the right to enrich himself because of it. That’s how he thinks the world works.

And his minions and simpering servile party "leadership" agree with him enough to make it a reality.  All it takes to make our president a God-king is for enough people in the right places to allow him to be one.  They did so once, and they are willing to destroy the country and upend democracy in order to do it again.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are you a believer? Yes or no.

You sound like a believer who just can’t comprehend what it’s like not to believe. 

Yes, I believe in the existence of God. That I take on faith. 

“We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen.”

Agreeing it rankles that you can’t disprove God, you ought agree Yahwe had a meaning “what is”, that the description of heaven snd earth, defined as all that is seen and unseen, is succinctly accurate, and that existence emanated from a singularity.

The search to understand our existence should celebrate that Genesis got the basic chronology of humanity’s emergence correct, and wonder that Kabbalists tell a creation story that is a basically accurate layman’s version of string theory. And, steering clear of the God/Abraham, comparing sufi cosmology to the cosmology of svience is the discussion of a distinction without a difference. The scope of the universe was correctly understood and explained by folks whirling in a circle to study the nature of God. That doesn’t suck. Science is the study of God, as defined: “what is.” I respect that you are certain there is no creator, only the evidence of creation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Yes, I believe in the existence of God. That I take on faith. 

“We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen.”

Agreeing it rankles that you can’t disprove God, you ought agree Yahwe had a meaning “what is”, that the description of heaven snd earth, defined as all that is seen and unseen, is succinctly accurate, and that existence emanated from a singularity.

The search to understand our existence should celebrate that Genesis got the basic chronology of humanity’s emergence correct, and wonder that Kabbalists tell a creation story that is a basically accurate layman’s version of string theory. And, steering clear of the God/Abraham, comparing sufi cosmology to the cosmology of svience is the discussion of a distinction without a difference. The scope of the universe was correctly understood and explained by folks whirling in a circle to study the nature of God. That doesn’t suck. Science is the study of God, as defined: “what is.” I respect that you are certain there is no creator, only the evidence of creation.

4 hours ago, Brandywine said:

So far, what he thought has been right on the money. But I have hope!

16 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This man needs an intervention.

He thinks not thoroughly investigating the leak means we live in a clown show state but his family and party is doing everything in their power to stonewall the 1/6 commission.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

She stick her head into a bee hive?  Face all swollen up. 

Swollen mug, rough makeup, over inflated jugs swinging around, hair disheveled… the Egypt assault messed her up badly it seems. Sad if so 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:57 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

“There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his prophet.”

I believe in the existence of God. I also believe that understanding what is true leads to knowing about God. So, if that is true, then it would lead to a greater understanding of God, if not, then it won’t.

I have so much work to do, I will be pitting in 18 hour days for the next week, and I am spending too much time thinking about your certainty, and the ability of science to support said certainty. Because I enjoy such questions. I’d like to present a more detailed argument that seeks to challenge that ability. Maybe I will get that chance when I have more time.

For now, I suggest that if science learns to prove the existence of God, it would know that proof as the Law of God, and still would be unable to understand the Law of GOd as absolute. It’s in the notes.

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement