A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

Just now, mdmost said:

He's consistent. You have to give him that. We should take bets on which poster thinks Biden is worse than Trump first, him or bad teammate? Nah, that's not fair. It will definitely be bt. Under/over is set at 60 days. 

I'd load the boat on bt. But he is also very consistent on a difference basis. 

9 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

But perhaps you should take hundreds of years of progress into consideration. 

Progress is an interesting concept. I am sure the blue and greens appreciate that perspective. FIFTY FIVE YEARS! lol. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Planet Houston said:

Maybe, just maybe, our standards from 2016-2020 should be higher than oh, say 1776 - 1965. I mean, FIFTY FIVE YEARS after the passage of the Voting Rights Act you have a President who is trying to throw out legitimately cast votes by people of color. And causing an insurrection because he’s too much of a baby to admit defeat at the hands of minority voters.

Yes, compared to the total annihilation and genocide of an indigenous people, Trump wasn’t so bad. But perhaps you should take hundreds of years of progress into consideration. 

Yeah, considering about half the known 18th century world would be and is judged harshly for practicing slavery and indigenous genocide, I think the events occurring a couple of centuries later may be subject to harsher judgment.

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I think that history will view this as a minor act in the theatre. We're talking about a country that literally genocided native people and enslaved another. Trump is a fucking speed bump wrt the judgement of our historical baggage.  

God damn.  From both sides to both millennia.  Bravo, sir...bravo.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

How does he have an empty schedule on his Last day?  You think he’d at least go around and pass out sharpies and have people sign his yearbook or something.  

I thought he was flying to Florida or Scotland tonight...shouldn’t wheels up be on that press release t least? 

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's all based on TV show reality.  Andy Griffith, Father Knows Best, Leave It To Beaver, Ozzie & Harriett.

These products of the idiot box think that was really America in the 50s and early 60s.

That explains their political nostalgia for the era in its entirety.

I think that’s a good point, at least when it comes to a certain older demographic.  The general information bandwidth was several orders of magnitude smaller, with only a handful of tv channels + the local newspaper + Bill the closet wife beater.  With the Internet, and especially social media...the range of rigor involved in ‘information’ is so broad that confirmation bias is a click away.  

I often think of that ‘if google were a person’ sketch, when the guy has two stacks of papers saying ‘I have 10,000 that says that it doesn’t and one that says that it does’.  The lady takes the single result saying thank you like she’s uncovered a hidden truth.  

On top of that time softens the negatives of living under the threat of nuclear annihilation, polio was rampant, fender benders were deadly, etc.  I look back in fondness for my undergrad in Stillwater but have to remind myself I had no money, spent all my time working or studying, was getting $8 an hour for a job I hated, and had zero interest by major firms upon graduation during the tech bust.  

What I don’t understand is the radicalization of youth who should know better.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

God damn.  From both sides to both millennia.  Bravo, sir...bravo.   

Sometimes I have to riff on something less contemporary than suppression of democracy in other countries and cluster bombs on school busses. Hundreds of years of progress being what it is. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to A story about a pathetic man's downfall
  • Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement