New Music 2021

4th&Five

Radiohead has some "new" Kid A/Amnesiac material coming out on 11/5. I think most of it has been released via singles over the years but the tune that came out today was a new one to me called "Follow Me Around." I think a shorter, much different version of this song was featured in Radiohead's doc "Meeting People is Easy." The video for "Follow Me Around" stars Guy Pearce.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 6:41 PM, ScottS said:

The ABBA Tribute Concert in Sweden got off to a rough start.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/europe/abba-sweden-tribute-concert-dead-intl-hnk/index.html

Shortly before the concert began, a man in his 80s fell from the seventh floor and landed on two others -- a man and a woman in their 60s -- in the open foyer on the ground floor, police said. 

The two men died and the injured woman was taken to a hospital. She sustained non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, HoustonHorn said:

No shit. Occasional Rain may be one of my favorite songs of all time. Cannot wait to see them in January.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I was pretty busy last last week when the record came out, so it was hard for me to get past the first half of the record as i kept going back to change - victim and the title track (all fantastic).  I just got to the second half of the album on monday and holy fuck are you right, occasional rain may be the best song they've ever done.  fucking phenomenal. 

have given the new war on drugs a few spins now. it's a good album but leans pretty heavy on the springsteen/dylan vibe but without actually telling any compelling stories. the blistering guitars and psychedelic tinge are almost completely gone...and that was my favorite part of the band. they're a great live band though and i look forward to hearing these songs in a live setting. this album is slightly more boring than their previous 2 though imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, stc said:

have given the new war on drugs a few spins now. it's a good album but leans pretty heavy on the springsteen/dylan vibe but without actually telling any compelling stories. the blistering guitars and psychedelic tinge are almost completely gone...and that was my favorite part of the band. they're a great live band though and i look forward to hearing these songs in a live setting. this album is slightly more boring than their previous 2 though imo. 

I have come to accept the lyrics are never going to be great. And I generally dislike Pitchfork, but this statement rang particularly true and sums up why I don't care that much.

[quote]Instead of sitting at the front of the music, Grandcuiel’s words drape over his songs like a thin film so that they essentially disappear. [/quote]

On this album the lyrics are a little more distinguishable because of the reasons you stated. But overall, its more the tone than the actual lyrics that works so well with the music.

I'll also give you that some of the songs are slightly more "boring" than previous albums, but in addition to the 3 songs I mentioned, there are several others that are really good. Nothing I would consider a clunker and I can certainly listen to the entire album front to back. Overall, its pretty damn great and even if it falls short of other WoD albums for some.