Sportsmanship and lack thereof, smack talk, chippiness...

Bevo&Pevo

Where and when does a line get drawn?  What will the NCAA eventually rule on?  When do coaches, fans, and officials start to reel it in?  I remember a time when players from both teams extended a hand and helped each get off the pile and huddle up for the next play.  Now, guys are stepping over guys who are getting up, brushing against 'em to get in that last little I'm better, meaner, tougher than you bitch.  We all saw how the Miss and Tulsa ended, who thinks that was acceptable?  Probably no one, so what is the answer?  In this case IF I had the power I'd review the video from all available angles.  Anyone(coach, player or support staff) punching or kicking just lost their scholarship and is removed from the team, regardless of talent or position.  As a bowl game committee it would be hard to just ban the team that just threw the first punch.  Video may not show the true catalyst of how things got set off.  So maybe fine both teams?  Or do we say it was an isolated incident, keep filling the stands and raking in TV revenue and carry on.  What do ya'll think?

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
spelling champ I'm not
  • Hook 'Em 2

There is still sportsmanship. It’s not like it just disappeared. Guys still help each other up. Really it hasn’t changed all that much over the years. You just see more replays and everything is captured on video now. There have been fights between teams since the beginning. 

there certainly will be a review of the tape and consequences for actions. Not sure what more you think should happen, or if you just want to vilify the game

• Hook 'Em 4

Where and when does a line get drawn?  What will the NCAA eventually rule on?  When do coaches, fans, and officials start to reel it in?  I remember a time when players from both teams extended a hand and helped each get off the pile and huddle up for the next play.  Now, guys are stepping over guys who are getting up, brushing against 'em to get in that last little I'm better, meaner, tougher than you bitch.  We all saw how the Miss and Tulsa ended, who thinks that was acceptable?  Probably no one, so what is the answer?  In this case IF I had the power I'd review the video from all available angles.  Anyone(coach, player or support staff) punching or kicking just lost their scholarship and is removed from the team, regardless of talent or position.  As a bowl game committee it would be hard to just ban the team that just threw the first punch.  Video may not show the true catalyst of how things got set off.  So maybe fine both teams?  Or do we say it was an isolated incident, keep filling the stands and raking in TV revenue and carry on.  What do ya'll think?

This reads like AM radio churn.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

What do parents have to do with 18-22 year old adults?  

1.) Coaches and coaching staff

2.) That individual themselves

Also, I’d argue smack talk is just part of sports.  Is it possible this thread is an overreaction (for whatever reason) to that fight?  How often do fights like yesterday happen in any college sport?  It’s not like this is an every weekend thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

What do parents have to do with 18-22 year old adults?  

1.) Coaches and coaching staff

2.) That individual themselves

Also, I’d argue smack talk is just part of sports.  Is it possible this thread is an overreaction (for whatever reason) to that fight?  How often do fights like yesterday happen in any college sport?  It’s not like this is an every weekend thing. 

Yeah, those are the people who teach those 18-20 year olds from their youth what's expected from them, how they comport themselves, and what values they follow.  Yeah parents do  have a lot to do with how kids act as they age.  

Whoa... what am I saying.. parents don't have shit to do with their kids growing up......

EDIT:  Pancho, if you don't think this is an issue parents have some influence over, for the love of god please don't procreate.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

There is still sportsmanship. It’s not like it just disappeared. Guys still help each other up. Really it hasn’t changed all that much over the years. You just see more replays and everything is captured on video now. There have been fights between teams since the beginning. 

there certainly will be a review of the tape and consequences for actions. Not sure what more you think should happen, or if you just want to vilify the game

Fucking this. This idea that "oh sportsmanship has disappeared! My salts my salts! It's gotten out of control!!!" is just historical romanticism, i.e. the "in my day" syndrome. Seriously, go back and watch some of those clips from the The U 30 for 30, and realize that Miami wasn't the only team that was doing it. It used to be that dudes would just outright spike footballs on TD's, take their helmets off after making a big hit (or standing over the dude they just flattened), etc. Like you say, we've just gotten better about capturing it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guys still help opposing players up unless you’re an official, or carrying a flag stick, camera, whatever. I don’t ever recall a player turning around and being like “you alright?”to the 60 year old who just got trucked. lol. Unless they just don’t feel the hit through the pads??

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Blaming coaches first is backwards.  The individuals involved bear primary responsibility.  They should bear primary consequences.  Unless you folks want to get serious about steroid abuse in the sport.

No, you're right, it starts with the parents at home, at an early age.

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

1/2 the time) God the current generation are pussies. Helmet to helmet hits made us stronger, if someone threw a punch during a game the refs thought it was hilarious, and SnapTok memes have made the youth weak and soft.

1/2 the time) Oh my God we would never do such awful things as have a fight after a football game. The current generation are lawless youths one step away from going full Mad Max.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

There’s still plenty of sportsmanship in CFB.  There’s also a lot more posers and preeners that think flexing and standing over some guy after a garden variety tackle even though it’s 25 yards down field is cool.  

It’s mostly dipshits doing it.  It doesn’t be upset me.   They just embarrass themselves.   

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, deadshank said:

There’s still plenty of sportsmanship in CFB.  There’s also a lot more posers and preeners that think flexing and standing over some guy after a garden variety tackle even though it’s 25 yards down field is cool.  

It’s mostly dipshits doing it.  It doesn’t be upset me.   They just embarrass themselves.   

True, but blatantly excessive shit like yesterday shouldn’t be allowed to slide. Saw some real chickenshittery there that would shame any decent person and their families, not to mention their coaches & schools.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

True, but blatantly excessive shit like yesterday shouldn’t be allowed to slide. Saw some real chickenshittery there that would shame any decent person and their families, not to mention their coaches & schools.

Usually you have to go to an MLB game to see that kind of shit.

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I was talking mostly about the self-aggrandizing preening.   

Throwing punches is a whole different realm.   

I liked it when they went to the disqualification for 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

They should throw the flag more often when these shitheels stand over the other player trying to get up, in some idiotic attempt to teabag their opponent.  Grow the fuck up, dude.  The subsequent acting as if nothing was really meant towards the other player is just the shit frosting on the shit-cake.

Agree with ABrat above.  Some of the shenanigans and bullshittery yesterday should be sanctioned.  programs need to own the conduct of their players, to a certain degree.  That kicking and then running like a bitch was truly displaying what a tough young man that idiot was.

Biggest and longest football fight I ever saw is one you've never seen pitting Strake Jesuit vs Galveston O'Connell. Footage of it only exists -- if it still does at all -- in the film archives at Strake and maybe O'Connell. For some reason our coaches showed it to us in 1985, which was the first year we (Strake) played them after this gigantic brawl took place in 1975 -- the schools agreed to go to neutral corners for ten years. 

Seriously, it looked like a riot in a prison yard. So yeah, nothing new to that shit last night, and if the private school kids got up to something as bad as that way back when, the publics probably would have put it to shame. (/no snob)

During this year and the pandemic the chippiness has exploded IMO. You see it now many times during the game, even if just when a player ends up on the other sideline. the pent up anger on display is palatable. Its everywhere. 

The celebrations, the smack talk, that has always been with us but has also been growing over the years with the twitter generation doubt. The "hovering over the guy I just tackled or hit" thing seems to everywhere these days as well. Definitely noticed that. 

Its a turnoff for me, but hey

297.png

I personally think Mensa tries to create teamwork concepts where he can, and to a flaw IMO. The pee color thing, etc. I think the consummate teammate thing is somewhat of Mensa's blindspot (see the QB) and also stunts other aspects of his coaching. 

Mensa is also a child himself so I believe this effort above ^ falls flat on its face with his teams and he delivers a juvenile product that just seems so fucking dumb sometimes.

tenor.gif 

4 hours ago, slorch said:

I liked it when they went to the disqualification for 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

They should throw the flag more often when these shitheels stand over the other player trying to get up, in some idiotic attempt to teabag their opponent.  Grow the fuck up, dude.  The subsequent acting as if nothing was really meant towards the other player is just the shit frosting on the shit-cake.

Agree with ABrat above.  Some of the shenanigans and bullshittery yesterday should be sanctioned.  programs need to own the conduct of their players, to a certain degree.  That kicking and then running like a bitch was truly displaying what a tough young man that idiot was.

That goes along with what I said a few weeks, I think during a USC game, about guys walking over the tackled guy, as if that's the only way they can get up. If I was a ref I would tell both coaches, before the game, that I would throw the flag for that.

Boomers: "football is too thuggish, sportsmanship is dead"

Also Boomers: "the NBA was better in the 80s when players weren't all grabass buddies with each other and the Pistons were trying to actually murder the other teams on the court"

Boomers gonna boomer.

• Hook 'Em 1

The most dominant performances I’ve seen have had unbridled hate for their opponent.

The most amazing games I saw Vince play were when the hate tank was full and his mouth was running all game long.

When Derek Strait came to the half of our side of the cotton bowl and flipped off 25k Texas fans, I thought, “we’re about to get rolled.” It was 42-0 about 2 minutes into the second quarter.

Football isn’t for OP. Quidditch may be more appropriate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kicking someone and then running away like a total bitchass has zero compatibility with that which you describe.

Tempers flaring isn't unexpected. Leaders on the team being cut-throat is a cool part of sports.

Magic and Larry talked shit to anyone and everyone for the whole damned game.  They fucking delivered on the court repeatedly.  VY and Strait EARNED the right to rev up their team and top off the "hate-tank, as you described. The motherfuckers trying to act like BAMFs and then exposing themselves as little creampuffs is bullshit. Miss State and Tulsa players just had the whole game to get after each other and will likely never see each other on a field of play again.  It's over.  Get your ass to the locker room.

Edited by slorch

I've enjoyed football for a long time and still do.  The topic is simply meant for conversation and insight, much like what do you order from Whataburger.  Just something to talk and think about.  I guess with better quality cameras we just see more of it.  I did see the guy in the Florida ou game extend a hand to the guy who was down.  So I'm not blind yet.  Like it or not, college level or pros little kids see this behavior and think it is OK.  Just something to BS about.  Hook 'Em.

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Boomers: "football is too thuggish, sportsmanship is dead"

Also Boomers: "the NBA was better in the 80s when players weren't all grabass buddies with each other and the Pistons were trying to actually murder the other teams on the court"

Boomers gonna boomer.

I've always said this is where hockey gets it right, although new age fuckers are trying to erase that.  You want to get chippy and run your mouth?  Fine, but when you cross the line, you're  throwing down the gloves and then having a cooling off period.  It is a great pressure relief valve for both benches.  For some reason, it works... Maybe in football, they take off the helmets and go...then they sit out the next quarter. 

Andre Johnson will forever be respected for beating the shit out of the leprechaun.  Nobody fucking blamed him for going there.

Good ole fashioned hate belongs in sports.  The MSU/ Tulsa thing was different.

I've always said this is where hockey gets it right, although new age fuckers are trying to erase that.  You want to get chippy and run your mouth?  Fine, but when you cross the line, you're  throwing down the gloves and then having a cooling off period.  It is a great pressure relief valve for both benches.  For some reason, it works... Maybe in football, they take off the helmets and go...then they sit out the next quarter. 
Andre Johnson will forever be respected for beating the shit out of the leprechaun.  Nobody fucking blamed him for going there.
I'm in for that. Fuck around and find out.

ND/Bama seemed fairly sportsmanlike, except for that thuggish Saban guy chewing out one of his own players. 

But hey!  Gosh and gee whillikers, that Big Ten ref nailed him with an unsportsmanlike, night?  Nothing much to see in Jerry World other than football and Brian Kelly narrowing the gap, like Donald "rounding the corner" on COVID.  Those Big Ten refs loved their play clock whistles, didn't they?  "Oooooo-kee, fellas, here camms another play, so eye-m gunna blooo this here digickal whistle for five full seconds to annoy every animal organism on the planet."

IMHO all this punkiness it goes back to Deion Sanders, et al. celebrating every damn play, e.g., "Imma expend energy I should be conserving by posing in triumph after making a routine tackle or catching a routine pass.  Act like you've been there before and get your mind on the next play, dumbass.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Nope because you will have some scrub player put on the field to go out start fight with the opponent’s star player so he will have sit out a quarter?

6 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Nope because you will have some scrub player put on the field to go out start fight with the opponent’s star player so he will have sit out a quarter?

I get that, and no I don’t think it would ever remotely be seriously considered to allow sanctioned fighting in football. LOL