2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's raining in 78751.

Also, I have thrown around the idea of going back to school and learning GIS.  Is this a fool's errand?

3 hours ago, gurt said:

Yeah I wouldn’t...money isn’t great unless you’re in actual developer territory, but that is a CS degree anyways

I agree with gurt. I love doing GIS work but there just isn’t enough money to make me like it that much.

I love Austin in the spring.  On campus and downtown today, and the hills are alive with the sight of sundresses and yoga pants.  What we lack in a gorgeous wildflower bloom, is made up for in sublimely nice buttocks in all four directions.  

And as such, I stop and give thanks and ask Mother Nature...Why the fuck is Oak Pollen just now peaking simultaneously with unusually summer-like 95 degree temps, with 25mph wind gusts, and no rain on the forecast for a week?  This is just fucking cruel, woman!  

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Good.   I’m tired of already having to water the yard in March/April.  

maybe my trees will actually start to bloom 

I was able to get some fertilizer down before the rain.  Not everything but something.  

My trees have bounced back but there are some in my neighborhood that are struggling

44 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Weather nerds. Talk to me about hail chances tonight particularly in NW Austin. Looks like the worst of this should stay west and northwest of Travis but it looks like we are going to get a piece broke off either way. 

Here is the latest from the SPC. A big brown penis is going to extend out from Mexico and into Oklahoma. 

day1probotlk_2000_hail.gif

Edited by Hate

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

@Hate @phdhorn Anything of note expected in another wave later tonight. 

I'm picking up a "new" used car this evening, so I presume there will be  a 100% chance of hail as I drive home. Why do I need a new car, you may ask? Because the hail storm at the end of March did enough damage to my last one, that my insurance company totaled out my last car. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'm picking up a "new" used car this evening, so I presume there will be  a 100% chance of hail as I drive home. Why do I need a new car, you may ask? Because the hail storm at the end of March did enough damage to my last one, that my insurance company totaled out my last car. 

My concern is likewise chiefly car related.  Mines in a NW austin shop right now and they don't necessarily have enough space for indoor storage of all the vehicles on premise. 

Can anybody recommend a live weather radar website that doesn't suck shit? For some time now, the animated radar on KXAN's website, and other local TV channels' websites, all seem to use the same app or codec, which works terribly on my PC.  They try to play back 6-8 hours of radar history, which is pointless--I only want to see the last hour or two.  Starting 6 or 8 hours back means I have to wait forever to get to the current radar image. Trying to skip ahead using the slider bar doesn't do shit. Doesn't matter if I use Chrome or Firefox.

Edited by Paper_jam