2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

28 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Had about .5inch in Waco. Not complaining.  It seems like everything has petered out before it got here.  

Actually in The Cave here west of ATX proper, the bulk of the storm moved E and then SE of us. I got a bit of wind, but only some mild electricity and maybe .25".  Easily an inch or more a few places within the swath of NW Austin into Downtown and into SE Travis and east.

Edited by phdhorn

3 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Unless the adjuster was contract, I'd want a 2nd look.  In house?  Hmmm...  Especially if it's the quantity / volume you are saying the neighborhood has.

Magic eight ball, will ROFL Box be busy soon?  

See related image detail

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I had to go get my son from school for an orthodontist appointment. This is what I was driving in to.

0c3a183e92f5d9c246fdf3e8885bfcb0.jpg

The freeze broke my rain gauge so I have no idea how much rain we’ve gotten so far, but it’s been about an hour since that picture and we’ve had to have gotten a couple of inches of rain so far. It’s going to be an interesting week.

This is a low tech cyber attack.  Please deposit $350 to Surly paypal or your blurry and almost legible car number thingy will be released to the Surly mafia.  

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Guest Lobo
2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I mean, I'm always thinking about boobies, but what does that have to do with tornadoes in Oklahoma?

I can't remember the comedian in the 90's.  But he had a bit about the movie "Twister" and it was something like, "What's the deal with these tornadoes in this movie?  They can toss a cow or a pickup truck all over the place, but it can't get Helen Hunt's itty-bitty tank-top off her shoulders?  I mean, c'mon!"  

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I can't remember the comedian in the 90's.  But he had a bit about the movie "Twister" and it was something like, "What's the deal with these tornadoes in this movie?  They can toss a cow or a pickup truck all over the place, but it can't get Helen Hunt's itty-bitty tank-top off her shoulders?  I mean, c'mon!"  

Dude was always awesome in every movie. 

87855DFA-91BB-4D68-BD1A-190D29ED2A3F.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Only the Jeep and Ford's got tossed Dodge sponsored the movie so all of theirs survived direct attack by P5's without a scratch.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'm glad it's not just me.  Thought I was gonna end up in the wtf celeb crushes.

What zip or nearest major intersection?

I have a house that backs up to Brushy Creek that I have been telling the homeowner to let us cover his missing shingles & he seems to think the insurance co. won't like that.

Were off Gattis School Rd. by Cedar Ridge HS. You roofed us years ago. Old bastard!

5 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

My buddy in Nederland posted this morning they had already gotten 9" and it was still raining. 

My mom said traffic was backed up at 365 and Hillebrandt Bayou because they were moving cattle to higher ground. 😬 Gettin' real down there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got a scary ass text from my daughter who's staying with my ex-wife in an apartment on the western edge of Lubbock a little over an hour ago. It read:

Dad. There's a serious storm and tornados heading straight to us. We're preparing and keeping ourselves safe in the bathroom. I just wanted to let you know.

About 45 minutes later, she told me they were okay after hunkering down in a bathtub with pillows and blankets over them. Fucking Lubbock. I can't count how many tornado warnings I experienced living there for five years.

Gotta say, that's not a text message you want to receive from your kid.

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, I usually don't overly pay attention to stuff like this, but this is making me sit up straight.

Screenshot_20210517-212424-413.thumb.png.7f95478ae0fb45035db1dda12b2d78ad.png

Over the next 3 days, NWS is predicting 7 to 10 inches, and the bullseye is exactly in Travis county.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this for us since I've been doing weather. Oh, we've gotten a chunk of rain like that, but I don't ever remember us being in the most-rain bullseye statewide.

Starts later overnight, runs they Wednesday now, not just Tuesday. 

Gonna be some kind of somethin' the next few days. This is not just flash flood territory it's houses swept away in Wimberley major river flood territory. Of course, hope not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Okay, I usually don't overly pay attention to stuff like this, but this is making me sit up straight.

Screenshot_20210517-212424-413.thumb.png.7f95478ae0fb45035db1dda12b2d78ad.png

Over the next 3 days, NWS is predicting 7 to 10 inches, and the bullseye is exactly in Travis county.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this for us since I've been doing weather. Oh, we've gotten a chunk of rain like that, but I don't ever remember us being in the most-rain bullseye statewide.

Starts later overnight, runs they Wednesday now, not just Tuesday. 

Gonna be some kind of somethin' the next few days. This is not just flash flood territory it's houses swept away in Wimberley major river flood territory. Of course, hope not.

NWS vs. The Forcefield in a Cage Match.  Tuesday Tuesday TUESDAY!  You'll pay for the whole seat but you'll only need the front half...

Edited by utee94
  • Haha 3

There's some nasty storms out near San Angelo and west into the panhandle with a lot of big hail & possible tornado reports. However these storms are supposed to weaken before they get here and maybe even fizzle out. But as always, w/a line like that, it wouldn't be unusual for 1-2 to make it in here overnight.

The good news however is that the latest NWS models are pushing the rain back into tomorrow daytime and not overnight tonight. Nothing worse than bad weather while you're sleeping. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The good news however is that the latest NWS models are pushing the rain back into tomorrow daytime and not overnight tonight. Nothing worse than bad weather while you're sleeping. We'll see

Bad weather when you are dropping off or picking up kids at school is up there with "pretty bad".

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Bad weather when you are dropping off or picking up kids at school is up there with "pretty bad".

Yup, that was us in Houston in September 2019 when Imelda was going berzerk on Houston and evvvveerrrything was flooding all over town.  Not easy to get my son from school that day.  I was stuck at the office... all roads around our building were flooded.  

Guest Lobo
21 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

That much rain in the right spot would take Lake Travis from about 659’ to 685’+ in about 72-96 hours.  

Holy shit.  25 feet in 4 days?  Is that a lot...that seems like a lot?

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

7 to 10 inches is called “Tuesday” in Houston

good luck to yall in CenTex

Good news is that it's pretty hilly over here and it washes away in a flash.

Bad news is that it's pretty hilly over here and it washes away in a flash.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Good news is that it's pretty hilly over here and it washes away in a flash.

Bad news is that it's pretty hilly over here and it washes away in a flash.

The only hills in Houston are overpasses...and the underpasses usually flood.

• Hook 'Em 1

No
Well shit we got 2 great games and beautiful weather today with my lady's dad in town, and he's a major seamhead but he's never been to a UT game and leaves town Thursday. His last trip here got rained out. I'll tell him to stay away for the regionals. It was great to get today in and be at a ballpark again.

9 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Nows the time folks, tents just won't cut it.  Panchos, sack lunches and bus tickets to drier places.  Have a heart. 

Run to the hills. Find the immaculately trimmed grassy expanses in front of the McMansions of West Lake Hills, Lost Creek, Lakeway, Bee Cave, Lago Vista, Northwest Hills, and Great Hills. 

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

Run to the hills. Find the immaculately trimmed grassy expanses in front of the McMansions of West Lake Hills, Lost Creek, Lakeway, Bee Cave, Lago Vista, Northwest Hills, and Great Hills. 

LOL. Yeah the bee caves and lake way cops would enjoy the rare opportunity to deploy their batons. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

Got a scary ass text from my daughter who's staying with my ex-wife in an apartment on the western edge of Lubbock a little over an hour ago. It read:

About 45 minutes later, she told me they were okay after hunkering down in a bathtub with pillows and blankets over them. Fucking Lubbock. I can't count how many tornado warnings I experienced living there for five years.

Gotta say, that's not a text message you want to receive from your kid.

My granddaughter lives there, but she only mentions the weather when she sends videos of the dog running around in the snow.

I was talking to a neighbor's kids who wanted to play in the rain.  I told them that in Houston we would get big ass puddles that would stick around for days and you could jump in them like maniacs... (and hang out with the worms and other crap that got in here).  Here, the puddles never even form... all that water just flows away into massive storm sewers and its glorious.  Well, its glorious unless you live where the water goes but at least its not curb-to-curb puddles.  

Greenbelt is going to be lit after all this rain

50 minutes ago, fluff said:

Phd...You as bullish on the rain totals the next few days as the Austin meteorologists?

A little less myself. But who the shit knows?  I'll be back this afternoon with more on this from my perspective.

The complex missing us this morning is a little off predictions.  Since that complex has very heavy rains, I wonder what it'll do to model totals?  Don't get me wrong - there is still a ton of time/chance that we could get flooding rains - and now that complex is building more south, which should pass over us... but we'll see if it's just a sorta thin line or expands to a larger, flooding blob.  But this morning event is missing us.  Hmmm....

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

@phdhorn I see some of the local weather folks are now upgrading rain chances Fri and Sat, when those were previously shown as tailing off from the Tues/Wed rains.  Do you see that, as well?

Asking for all the rednecks planning on hitting the NASCAR race at COTA this weekend... :)