2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

Hydromet shows rookies numbers out west over the basins. The heavy totals are too far East.

What’s new - that’s the way it always is... see last week...

Until it isn’t, & Marble Falls get 25”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

KXAN better bring Uncle Jim back out of retirement for this.  

Although on second thought, he was filling in for David Suits on Tuesday and he predicted less than 10% chance of rain for today.  

So maybe the game has passed him by.  Who knows.  

Turn my fahking power back on. 

10% isn’t 0%

Guest Lobo

One of my taller live oaks in the back split about 25' up (it's about 50' tall overall).  Dropped a 20' limb with multiple branches, totaling about 200 pounds.  Problem is, because my dipshit neighbors like to prune at the worst times of year---a wet April and May is not a good time PAUL!), I'm worried about the massive split up there getting oak wilt.  It's in two parts and is an awful lot of exposed opening.  I'm not getting up there on the extension ladder with the other half of the limb set to fall.  

So my question is, without bothering my husband, how the fuck do I get my sealing paint up there on the split until I can properly and cleanly cut and seal it in July?  

Is there some kinda macgruber-rig y'all have used to get sealing paint way up high in a tree without going up there yourself?  I have all extendable pruning saws and shit that'll reach but how do you get the can to spray up there?  Thanks. 

First, you'll have to earn the trust of a local squirrel.  Talk to him, feed him peanuts or pecans.  Gradually you can teach him to press the button on the spray can when you give him the signal.  Make sure it's aimed away from his face, or you will lose the trust you built. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Guest Lobo

I worry though that many of the brown squirrels that live in my yard, and do general yard maintenance are here illegally.  And if I give one of them this job to do, I'm enabling the problem even further.  

14 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Saw some pics just now, kids & family got wet anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yep, they were calling student names out to cross the stage and got into the B's when the rain hit. They were being overly optimistic trying to get this done last night. So it's rescheduled for tonight at 8:00, we'll see .

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Remember June ‘07 when there was measurable rainfall in like 25 of the 30 days?

That was kinda nice for the lakes.  

I spent a ton of time at Sculpture Falls & Twin Falls that Summer- the Greenbelt was glorious. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

One of my taller live oaks in the back split about 25' up (it's about 50' tall overall).  Dropped a 20' limb with multiple branches, totaling about 200 pounds.  Problem is, because my dipshit neighbors like to prune at the worst times of year---a wet April and May is not a good time PAUL!), I'm worried about the massive split up there getting oak wilt.  It's in two parts and is an awful lot of exposed opening.  I'm not getting up there on the extension ladder with the other half of the limb set to fall.  

So my question is, without bothering my husband, how the fuck do I get my sealing paint up there on the split until I can properly and cleanly cut and seal it in July?  

Is there some kinda macgruber-rig y'all have used to get sealing paint way up high in a tree without going up there yourself?  I have all extendable pruning saws and shit that'll reach but how do you get the can to spray up there?  Thanks. 

I would probably just say fuck it but appreciate your concern. I think I read the tree naturally seals itself in about 48 hours. Just hope for no beetles. 

They do make tree sealant spray pole extenders.  Would need to get one today to be worth the effort IMO. 

5 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Remember June ‘07 when there was measurable rainfall in like 25 of the 30 days?

That was kinda nice for the lakes.  

They were so full they closed them down! The water was so high the wake was damaging homes at Graveyard Point.

I think it was 4th of July a bunch of us that normally lived in Devils Cove took some boats downtown, parked them next to each other, threw each other some ropes and just sat in the boats and drank like we were in the lake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Get the fuck up there in your underwear all covered in tar and just scream “IM OFF MY MEDSSSSSSS!!!!”

it might not fix the tree but it would surely be entertaining. 

Also, a bunch of guys in a shiny red truck will show up with a really long ladder, and if you do things right, you can grab onto that ladder and use it as a platform to do your maintenance.

They were so full they closed them down! The water was so high the wake was damaging homes at Graveyard Point.

I think it was 4th of July a bunch of us that normally lived in Devils Cove took some boats downtown, parked them next to each other, threw each other some ropes and just sat in the boats and drank like we were in the lake.
We went tubing. Put in somewhere around 360 /Lamar and got out at spyglass. Would never do it again at this age, pretty dangerous. There were a couple four foot drops and some pretty large pieces of driftwood. Took about half an hour to go a mile and a half.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Give a neighborhood kid who likes to climb trees $20 and a can of paint.

Don’t overthink this.

He’s a lawyer so you know this is sound advice.  But I would also ad you should learn to say “get off my tree!”

in another language so you have plausible deniability when the kid falls and breaks his neck and then becomes governor.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
On 5/29/2021 at 5:54 PM, Orange&White said:

We went tubing. Put in somewhere around 360 /Lamar and got out at spyglass. Would never do it again at this age, pretty dangerous. There were a couple four foot drops and some pretty large pieces of driftwood. Took about half an hour to go a mile and a half.

Several years ago one night my brother’s AFD grandson spent some harrowing moments on the end of his firetruck ladder fully extended out over Barton Creek using grappling hooks  trying to fish the dead body of a female tuber from some sort of a grated floodwater drain entrance just upstream of Barton Springs. Unpleasant it was.