2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

38 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Heading up to the in laws Saturday. Can't wait to see the ranch tanks. 

I'll be there this weekend too. Heading up tomorrow.  I can't wait to see how far it has come up since I was last there 3 weeks ago.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:00 PM, phdhorn said:

Look man, as healthy for you and beneficial as heroin and cocaine are, especially when used heavily in a mixture with alcohol for 20 years, there are some slight side effects but rub some dirt on it and it'll feel better.

Oh yeah, this is a weather thread. Won't rain tomorrow until about 2 or 3, then it'll rain. More tomorrow.

I need to up my drug use because I’ve just been using alcohol and the side effects are annoying. Might as well go full bore. 

On 5/30/2021 at 9:47 PM, Shaggybevo said:

My power is finally back on after 50 hours!  woo-hoo!  I cranked the AC!

You're probably about to lose power again. 

I hope not.

Edited by Hate
  • Haha 1

Down here in 78745, it doesn't seem so bad. Mostly distant booming thunder with a pitter-patter of nice rain outside. I'm not sure whether there's a meteorological or geographical reason, but north-central and northwest Austin always seem to get the more severe shit. Yeah, we get the floods down here too, but the genuinely violent shit like tornados, hail, and whatnot seem to hit y'all much worse.

my old, blind, deaf mini dachsund was putzing on the patio here in 78757 completely oblivious to the light/sound show...until a horrendous boom that was loud enough for even her to hear/feel it, she jumped and high-tailed it in the backdoor without even looking around! 😄 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well I admit I was wrong about the forcefield. Still going strong in the triple 6 but glad the lakes picked up a nice rain. 

Why were you wrong? It said that the rain would start at 2 or 3 this afternoon and it didn't. I responded that I agreed with you, that the rain would start later.

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting a good hard rain and great light show in Brenham.  Had a crazy gust of wind that moved my big pecan tree so much that it snapped the stainless steel suspension line on my sting lights that are anchored to it.  Now I have to figure out how to fix it temporarily so it won't bring them all down.  I know we're not supposed to bitch about the rain during late Spring and Summer here in Texas, but it's getting depressing as fuck here to not see a day in the forecast without rain for going on 3 weeks now.  The rain is great.  The constant threat of rain ruining every chance to do something outside sucks.

5 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

Getting a good hard rain and great light show in Brenham.  Had a crazy gust of wind that moved my big pecan tree so much that it snapped the stainless steel suspension line on my sting lights that are anchored to it.  Now I have to figure out how to fix it temporarily so it won't bring them all down.  I know we're not supposed to bitch about the rain during late Spring and Summer here in Texas, but it's getting depressing as fuck here to not see a day in the forecast without rain for going on 3 weeks now.  The rain is great.  The constant threat of rain ruining every chance to do something outside sucks.

I would be more depressed living amongst all the aggy in Brenham.  Just Sayin'.

7 hours ago, Hairy Biped said:

As a concrete contractor, this is killing me.  Once it does stop raining my schedule is going to be jacked for the rest of the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I went out to the Katy Prairie this evening to look for snakes.  Beautiful thunderhead over the prairie looking back towards Houston.  Spectacular light show on the way home.

spacer.png

Cool pic, but, uh, wut?

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

At some point we need these rains to train over the Perdenales.  Thus far the last three weeks have done jack to Travis.   

Travis is up about 5 feet and today's rain is currently sitting over the Pedernales so your wish may come true.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

That cell has been parked over Roybd Rock for the last hour plus. Off to go watch the South San Gabriel gauge jump...

I was taking my son to RR Multipurpose complex ~ 8 PM.  Got out of our neighborhood and turned north on Mopac only to see a giant black blob sitting on Derka.  Nope.  Turned around and went home.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My google machine is apparently broken -- where are daily rainfall totals archived for Austin (either Camp Mabry or ABIA)?

You can get bulk data in spreadsheet form here:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/search

Or you can go to Weather Underground, put in your zipcode, then choose calendar forecast and then choose a specific month/day.

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Every fucking year, like clockwork

Austinites: We need rain so I can take my shitty boat out

Every other Texan: Shut the fuck up

More like

Austinites: We need rain so we don't have forest fires and people's houses burn down.  Oh, and Lake Travis supplies our water, so that would be nice, too.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2