2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

12 minutes ago, hornian said:

Raining sideways on Jollyville Road near Duval in NW Austin at the moment. This should make my drive home interesting. 

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Shit’s hitting Brentwood now.

pretty much in the middle of you guys (Allandale)...crazy wind, that's it. dammit.

• 2 weeks later...

Me??  I hope the Climate Prediction Center is right.  Some weather models are sniffing out another "cool" front around August 11th and there is some agreement from multiple models.  It's not going to make it fall like, but it could keep highs in upper 80's and lower 90's with pretty good chances of rain throughout.  That huge cold front that we had in February will have lasting impacts.  I've read some reports that it kind of "reset" the weather patterns and it may take a few more months before things return to "normal".  That being said, I fully expect a drought to begin this fall and we are all wearing shorts and t-shirts on Christmas. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

It poured its ass off with lots of wind and lightning over here at 183 and Braker. Still raining at the moment but not as hard.

Some day a real rain will come and bathe the homeless at 183 and Braker. 

6 hours ago, miguelito said:

2.5 inches in NW Boerne this evening. 

I was there picking up my daughter and HOLY SHEEEIIIIIT!

Powerlines went down, vehicles slid off the roads, flooding all over the place, dogs and cats living together.

Crazy stuff.

15 hours ago, Updawg said:

Raining in bee cave now

Yesterday around 4:30 I was out doing some yard work.  Wasn't particularly threatening looking.  Wrapped up and went in to take a shower.  About 4 mins. later I'm in the shower and suddenly a series of huge thunder blasts rumbles through the house.  Finished my shower and thought it was just an electrical show typical of when a storm ramps up.  Nuh-uh.  It was pouring, torrents of rain.

All in all about 25 minutes of a huge downpour.  I had about 2.65" of rain in that little span.  

What happened was a line of storms running NE-SW popped up right over me, and most of the rain ended up happening south and east of Austin.

But did it rain in Bee Cave?  Hell yes, it did.  A lot.

Today more of the same - spotty showers - and here's the thing - temps will struggle to make 90° in most of the area.  On August 2.  Unbelievable.

Week will see a slow drying out, less rain chance each day, by the weekend we'll be in the upper 90's again.  But August ain't done yet, could easily be cool as it could be hot.  What a summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

It got pretty dark yesterday late afternoon in Brentwood, but thunder and lightening woke me up sometime past midnight and my neighborhood got a good soaking. 

phdhorn is right.  These temperatures in early August are indeed unbelievable.  I can't remember a summer this mild since I moved to Austin in 1994.

We have still only had one day of 100 degrees and it was only at Mabry and it was only for about 2 hours (June 14). We have only hit 99 twice (the day before and the day after the 100).

Obviously we have topped 100 a few times with the heat index, but this is all still pretty out of expectations and welcomed.