2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

FYI for those who may be filing a claim with insurance for damage.

You should file a storm report with your National Weather Service office on time of storm, estimated size of hail, duration, etc.  This serves two purposes:  not only does the NWS collect this data, but....in case you are the only claim in an area, your insurance company may check in with the NWS to see what the weather conditions were at the time, if there was reported hail, etc.

Heres a link to the NWS reporting page.  Alternatively, you can also find your local NWS office information by clicking on your location on this map.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This was headed towards ABIA, but that was half an hour ago.

This tornado warning pissed me off. The center of rotation was right at the NW corner of that red box and was moving north-northeast, completely away from where the red box is. The weather guys on SA news stations were screaming at everyone in the red box to take cover, while the people who were directly in the path were ignored. Meanwhile my in laws are calling my wife yelling at her to take cover while we watched the storm pass 15 miles north of us with barely a breeze and a drizzle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Austin area looks to get pretty decent rain coverage starting mid-morning and running well into the afternoon.  We're at 0.74" in 78731 right now -- need that to go up.

How long does it take for the Highland Lakes to see much level change after decent rainfall west of here?

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

This tornado warning pissed me off. The center of rotation was right at the NW corner of that red box and was moving north-northeast, completely away from where the red box is. The weather guys on SA news stations were screaming at everyone in the red box to take cover, while the people who were directly in the path were ignored. Meanwhile my in laws are calling my wife yelling at her to take cover while we watched the storm pass 15 miles north of us with barely a breeze and a drizzle. 

the situational awareness of local news heads has absolutely cratered to near zero.  it's criminal.  they're yelling fire in a theater while ignoring the actual fire across the street.  wfaa 8 in dallas has done it 4 out of 7 storms this spring.  total fucking dipshits.  in each of the 4 cases they missed the obvious motion of the storm by 45 degrees and always place the storm track to far to the east which coincidentally is towards the more densely populated areas.

we need to start our own pirate weathercast.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Austin area looks to get pretty decent rain coverage starting mid-morning and running well into the afternoon.  We're at 0.74" in 78731 right now -- need that to go up.

How long does it take for the Highland Lakes to see much level change after decent rainfall west of here?

As dry as it has been lately, I don't think 2-4" of rain over these 3-4 days will do much to change the lake levels, it's just going to soak in.  10-12" all at once, that's when you get a lot of run-off.

But as it is, if we could manage another large rain event a few days after this one, that would help the lakes.

Edit:  I'll add that you can look at the streamflows on hydromet to get a pretty good idea of whether or not the lakes are receiving any runoff.

https://hydromet.lcra.org/

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Hope it was Big Red Motors:

Our insurance rates are just going to go crazy in the next couple of years thanks to the wacked out weather events of the last couple of years.   I never wish for a summer drought. But if we are going to go through one, let's make it this summer into October because this would pretty much mean we didn't have any major tropical systems to deal with.    That would rub salt into the wounds , especially with the price of construction materials today.  

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Can't remember the last time we had sustained thunderstorms in the middle of the night for that long.  Felt like there was a strobe light in my bedroom for a solid two hours. 

It shouldn't FEEL like that.  It should BE like that.  It's like you don't know how to live, or something.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

As dry as it has been lately, I don't think 2-4" of rain will do much to change the lake levels, it's just going to soak in.  10-12" all at once, that's when you get a lot of run-off.

But as it is, if we could manage another large rain event a few days after this one, that would help the lakes.

Edit:  I'll add that you can look at the streamflows on hydromet to get a pretty good idea of whether or not the lakes are receiving any runoff.

https://hydromet.lcra.org/

Two to four inches would soak right into the ground right now.  It would green up some of the pastures and lawns for a couple of weeks, but that subsoil is so dry that new growth would dry up in no time if we don't have some follow up rains going into June.   We should be worried about Wildfire season this summer.  

We had right around an inch.  Not quite commensurate with the atmospheric shitshow from 8-10p & 4-7a.  But I like not having to even turn on my sprinkler system until well into May (knocks on wood).  

Obviously, I hope nobody gets hurt during what looks like a wild 72 hours of weather still to come.  But I have to raise the issue again---we really need to get in three games with Tech this weekend...so we can sweep them.  We can't afford to miss games with them with TCU tied with us right now.  I don't see 9 hours without rain until Sunday evening when the travel deadline clamps down.  

At least the next few days should help feed the lakes now that the ground is saturated.  

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We had right around an inch.  Not quite commensurate with the atmospheric shitshow from 8-10p & 4-7a.  But I like not having to even turn on my sprinkler system until well into May (knocks on wood).  

Obviously, I hope nobody gets hurt during what looks like a wild 72 hours of weather still to come.  But I have to raise the issue again---we really need to get in three games with Tech this weekend...so we can sweep them.  We can't afford to miss games with them with TCU tied with us right now.  I don't see 9 hours without rain until Sunday evening when the travel deadline clamps down.  

At least the next few days should help feed the lakes now that the ground is saturated.  

As much as I hate turf fields, this is when they come in handy.   I think what might get a tad overplayed however is the lightning delays.    I get the need for safety, but does every outdoor sporting event need 30 mins between the last lighting strike being detected to delay a game, especially one that is progress?    I think with the tech we have right in our hands with radar on demand, you can judge if the storm is coming towards your location and adjust the delay accordingly. 

https://www.waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

marble falls 98%

lbj 95%

buchanan: 80%

ivie: 60% (good)

spence: 21% (bad)

lots of rain in the ivie and spence catchments in this current system

after the state of texas, ercot-not, the city of homeless ungovernment and the city of homeless ungovernment water department, ivie and spence are the biggest threats to austin's long-term civilization score

1 hour ago, Hpara759 said:

the last time Buchanan filled up it came from Pecan Bayou...which starts around the Abilene area and goes through Lake Brownwood.....footage of said event below

Drone Footage of Flooding Lake Brownwood Spillway in Texas - July 9, 2015 - YouTube

We need that kind of rain again soon or this summer is going to suck out there...again. The first one is from November and the second from the beginning of April. 

image.jpeg

CDB859BB-E0A8-4D0D-9A42-EA7FA6DA194C.jpeg