2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The colors mean it’s raining there. 

Ha.

No, I'm talking about that straight line in the colors that shows it's supposedly raining less hard north versus south. It shows some bizarre anomaly cutting through Austin that doesn't exist.

Maybe I should've provided the link so you can see the loop and how it switches back and forth.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/austin/78701/weather-radar/351193

8 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Forcefield.  (Obviously, though strug-gul-ling more than Joe Namath.)

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Fuck, here I am posting like a n00b who's never posted in the rain thread or something. Should've know that Rick Perry's hairspray was still wafting through the local microclimate.

Thanks for the reminder.

38 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Forcefield.  (Obviously, though strug-gul-ling more than Joe Namath.)

Well yeah, that and just a bad radar filter (temporary).

Cautiously optimistic that the heavy stuff will be south and east of us (T&P San Antonio right now), and of course on Bushwood's 18th green.  Should move out of the area (towards the east) over next few hours.

Then tomorrow it will rain.

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I thought it looked like an angry armadillo for a little while.  Also props for using Corad.  

Thanks! I love Corad! I know it definitely looks like 1990’s technology but I love it! Props back to you! 😁😁😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ve had it bookmarked on my phone forever, when driving around Texas it always loads fast and shows the whole state.

That’s what I love about it. Since I have lived in Amarillo, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Corpus and Dallas I can get a pretty great idea of what’s happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/30/2021 at 4:31 PM, hornian said:

Planning to meet a buddy and his wife/kids out at Sherwood Forest Fair between Elgin/Giddings tomorrow. Probably get there mid morning, and with the ages of our kids, be out of there by 2:00. So, any chance of that actually happening without being washed out? In other words, are the storms going to hold off until afternoon/evening like most spring storm events because of daytime heating?

Well we got there at 10:30 and the rain didn’t really start until close to 3, at which time my 2 year old was already passed out in the stroller and my 5 year old was ready to leave, so worked perfectly. 

Except for driving back to Austin through the rain. Holy shit. Multiple points where visibility was maybe 100 feet, going 30 mph or slower on 290, etc. Rain let up when we got to Manor, and then when we getting on the 290 toll a Tesla that was 100 yards ahead of me hydroplaned and spun out across both lanes. It didn’t hit the walls or any other car, but it was enough to get my knuckles even whiter on the steering wheel. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

The Perd and general healthy flows from other tributaries should put 5 ft on Travis over the next couple of days. Maybe more. A good way to start May. 

Flood gates at Starke and Wirtz dams are open. 

Lake Conroe had > 4 inches over the past few days.  This resulted in around 1.5-2 feet rise over its normal "pool level." 

Boats were floating off their lifts; lake closed; etc.

Dam was opened to help mitigate.  I think they delayed it a bit to see if others downstream could handle the extra water.

On 4/29/2021 at 5:41 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

FYI for those who may be filing a claim with insurance for damage.

You should file a storm report with your National Weather Service office on time of storm, estimated size of hail, duration, etc.  This serves two purposes:  not only does the NWS collect this data, but....in case you are the only claim in an area, your insurance company may check in with the NWS to see what the weather conditions were at the time, if there was reported hail, etc.

Heres a link to the NWS reporting page.  Alternatively, you can also find your local NWS office information by clicking on your location on this map.

Not really needed (file the NWS / NOAA report), but... OK.

Honestly, it's kinda like when a customer shows me frozen hail they have kept in their freezer for a week or more.  It's not what's in your hand (or on your NWS report), it's the actual damage to your roof.

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Well crap, went to bed with a forecast of maybe a 20% chance of rain tonight, now all of a sudden we're in an Enhanced Risk prediction of tornadoes and big hail.  NWS has gone into 'DFW, prepare your onus' mode.

Same shit as last week when the model all of a sudden shifted dramatically as front got closer.  Apparently this time the result of the front being slower moving than predicted.  Hate this time of year.  I should say at least the 10-20% of this time of year we are in imminent threat of flying hockey pucks bombing us (or worse).   

Edited by Skipper

No enhanced for ATX.  Very slight chance for a heat-driven storm around dinner time, but the radar is blank and there's a cap in the atmosphere that's probably going to limit anything here - watch more N/NE.  We're in a marginal area, which means that the likelihood and extent of any strong storms is very small.

There is a second, better chance of a line of rain, maybe a small but strong storm or two coming in overnight with the cool front.  These shouldn't be severe, or if so just small, isloated ones, again mostly N an E of us.

I'd put rain about 30% today and about 50% overnight, but not guaranteed.

• Hook 'Em 3