2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

A report released by the National Center for Environmental Information (NCEI) on June 22 confirmed that one hailstone that fell amid the damaging storm (in early April) broke the record for its "unheard of" size as the largest hailstone in the state of Texas, a State Climate Extremes Committee (SCEC) unanimously confirmed.

The stone fell 1 mile south-southwest of the center of Hondo, Texas, roughly around 7:35 p.m. CDT on April 28. It measured 19.73 inches in circumference and 6.4 inches in diameter and weighed a whopping 1.26 pounds with a volume of 40.239 cubic inches.

Another hailstone the NOAA described as "gargantuan" was discovered the same day south of U.S. Highway 90 in Hondo, about half a mile from the location of the confirmed record-breaking hailstone. The individual who found the stone estimated the diameter to be 6-7 inches, meaning it could have potentially been bigger than the record-breaking stone that was confirmed.

Whether that stone off the highway was the true record-breaker or not will forever remain a mystery, as it was used to make margaritas before it was able to be officially measured.

11b7ea7a81486dee78a4e0e48fa6a1c0

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

A report released by the National Center for Environmental Information (NCEI) on June 22 confirmed that one hailstone that fell amid the damaging storm (in early April) broke the record for its "unheard of" size as the largest hailstone in the state of Texas, a State Climate Extremes Committee (SCEC) unanimously confirmed.

The stone fell 1 mile south-southwest of the center of Hondo, Texas, roughly around 7:35 p.m. CDT on April 28. It measured 19.73 inches in circumference and 6.4 inches in diameter and weighed a whopping 1.26 pounds with a volume of 40.239 cubic inches.

Another hailstone the NOAA described as "gargantuan" was discovered the same day south of U.S. Highway 90 in Hondo, about half a mile from the location of the confirmed record-breaking hailstone. The individual who found the stone estimated the diameter to be 6-7 inches, meaning it could have potentially been bigger than the record-breaking stone that was confirmed.

Whether that stone off the highway was the true record-breaker or not will forever remain a mystery, as it was used to make margaritas before it was able to be officially measured.

11b7ea7a81486dee78a4e0e48fa6a1c0

Haha if that's real then that's awesome. 

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Got a nice soaking in Brentwood, which made it muggy as shit for my early morning run.

If I see you or any dude who looks like he has a famous mom running on Arroyo Seco, I'm make sure to run you/him over. Those oversized concrete aspirin things aint stopping my SUV.

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

If I see you or any dude who looks like he has a famous mom running on Arroyo Seco, I'm make sure to run you/him over. Those oversized concrete aspirin things aint stopping my SUV.

Wow, that's rather aggressive.  Sorry I stole your prom date in high school?

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Usually I bring my neighbors a six-pack instead of running them over.  But hospitality is all relative I guess. 

What if I run you over, then offer a six pack. Studies show that relationships grow stronger when people suffer trauma together.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Fun fact: it used to be named Arroyo Seca. Then somebody finally figured out that the noun didn’t agree with the adjective. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

I suspect it had more to do with a gringo street sign maker fucking it up much further down the line.

add that to the list of items to discuss in Critical Race Theory

before someone gets a thread police hardon, it was a joke.

• Hook 'Em 1

I dunno, I was gonna post an update and my fucking computer threw up all over me.

Oh well, try again...

Update:

First, Bee Cave got a nice direct hit 10 minutes ago.  Tiny storm cell but went right over my house.  Because it always... (etc.)

Bit of a break in the rain as the low that came in moved into N. Mex and fizzled.  But we still have that cockblocking situation - big high in the Atlantic off the Carolina coast, and another couple up in the Pac NW.  As a result, systems are being generally blocked across the country, but the low pressure over the central continent resulting from being between the 2 highs is keeping things ripe for weather over Texas.  

The only reason why there isn't more widespread rain today is that there's nothing to trigger it over us, but there is a ton of moisture still being pulled up from the Gulf due to the cockblocking deal. And will continue to be.  So the rain today here/there is mostly due to the sun/day heating and they're popcorning from the coast.

So, whatever rain we get today and Friday day will be due to that.  However, the next players are lining up, again due to the sort of unusual stuck pattern we have - which is berry, berry good to us both temp. and precip. wise.

There is a mild cold front that would normally said by 800 miles north of us, but it's going to push down into TX.   Today and tomorrow a bit of high pressure has tried/will try to establish itself and so the rain will be pretty scant the next day and a  half.  But, due to the cockblock, that high really won't get going here and it's going to be pulled west - yet again.  So we'll yet again be on the east side of it, and continue to draw up a lot of Gulf moisture, enough for at least a better than avg. chance on an early summer's day here.

But when that high vacates tomorrow night, the front will swing down and stall somewhere in Texas.  Again, you've heard this record before, but wherever it lands, just under it and to its immediate south, good rain chances are in order.  This will be the established pattern for the weekend into Monday.  So rain chances for the 4th have trended - UP - and are now into the 70% range.  At this point I don't think it'll be a definite rainout of stuff, but it easily could be.  More definite by late tomorrow or early Sat. as we see how all this mixes up.  So for now:

Thur-Fri.:  generally pt. cloudy, temps get a little warmer, up near our norm (94°) or even near, but not over 100° Friday (for sure the warmest of the next 4-5 days, then things go back down).  Still, I'll take it.  Always a chance of daytime heating showers in this setup.
Sat-Sun:  front settles, provides a trigger, rainier days return, temps stay lower (+/- 90°).  Yes, chances of widespread showers/TS's esp. afternoon.  Outdoor plans on the 4th 50/50.  I'll return with something more pinpoint by the weekend.  Don't cancel, but be ready to.
Mon: 92 ish, still good chance of rain, but making a slow walk to warmer and drier.

Damn nice start to July, in my book.  Yes, August and September loom like a 350-lb. blind date.  But still...

I dunno, I was gonna post an update and my fucking computer threw up all over me.

Oh well, try again...

Update:

First, Bee Cave got a nice direct hit 10 minutes ago.  Tiny storm cell but went right over my house.  Because it always... (etc.)

Bit of a break in the rain as the low that came in moved into N. Mex and fizzled.  But we still have that cockblocking situation - big high in the Atlantic off the Carolina coast, and another couple up in the Pac NW.  As a result, systems are being generally blocked across the country, but the low pressure over the central continent resulting from being between the 2 highs is keeping things ripe for weather over Texas.  
The only reason why there isn't more widespread rain today is that there's nothing to trigger it over us, but there is a ton of moisture still being pulled up from the Gulf due to the cockblocking deal. And will continue to be.  So the rain today here/there is mostly due to the sun/day heating and they're popcorning from the coast.

So, whatever rain we get today and Friday day will be due to that.  However, the next players are lining up, again due to the sort of unusual stuck pattern we have - which is berry, berry good to us both temp. and precip. wise.

There is a mild cold front that would normally said by 800 miles north of us, but it's going to push down into TX.   Today and tomorrow a bit of high pressure has tried/will try to establish itself and so the rain will be pretty scant the next day and a  half.  But, due to the cockblock, that high really won't get going here and it's going to be pulled west - yet again.  So we'll yet again be on the east side of it, and continue to draw up a lot of Gulf moisture, enough for at least a better than avg. chance on an early summer's day here.

But when that high vacates tomorrow night, the front will swing down and stall somewhere in Texas.  Again, you've heard this record before, but wherever it lands, just under it and to its immediate south, good rain chances are in order.  This will be the established pattern for the weekend into Monday.  So rain chances for the 4th have trended - UP - and are now into the 70% range.  At this point I don't think it'll be a definite rainout of stuff, but it easily could be.  More definite by late tomorrow or early Sat. as we see how all this mixes up.  So for now:

Thur-Fri.:  generally pt. cloudy, temps get a little warmer, up near our norm (94°) or even near, but not over 100° Friday (for sure the warmest of the next 4-5 days, then things go back down).  Still, I'll take it.  Always a chance of daytime heating showers in this setup.
Sat-Sun:  front settles, provides a trigger, rainier days return, temps stay lower (+/- 90°).  Yes, chances of widespread showers/TS's esp. afternoon.  Outdoor plans on the 4th 50/50.  I'll return with something more pinpoint by the weekend.  Don't cancel, but be ready to.
Mon: 92 ish, still good chance of rain, but making a slow walk to warmer and drier.

Damn nice start to July, in my book.  Yes, August and September loom like a 350-lb. blind date.  But still...
Thanks for this man.

I'll dip out until mid July on vacation then only have to brace myself for 2.5 months of hell with soccer tournaments etc through Early Oct
Then cooler weather when we whip OUs ass.

I'll take it. It's been a nice spring and early summer

20 hours ago, Hate said:

The Euro weather model has some crazy rainfall numbers for parts west of San Antonio through 7/10.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2021070112_216_490_220.png

My prediction?  The Austin Force Field beats the shit outta this thing and makes it its bitch.

• Like 1

People in Austin have to be happy, I'm here visiting my mother,  driving back from the store she says "July 4th and green grass? Won't see that for another 10 years."

I live on the coast, never have I gotten out of my truck and experienced humidity greater in Austin than in Galveston. All I could think was "fuck me, I can't get away from it".  

I'm grateful it rained heavily earlier this afternoon.  For the past few hours, really cheap, large flaming fireworks seem to be the fireworks of choice of people in the area.  We've already had one neighbor yell at another neighbor because their kids set some shit off that fell on the first neighbor's yard.  If everything wasn't so wet, I think we'd have more than just a duplex that burned up in South Austin or whatever.  Then again, if everything wasn't so wet, I'd like to think they'd be smart enough to not be setting them off.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm grateful it rained heavily earlier this afternoon.  For the past few hours, really cheap, large flaming fireworks seem to be the fireworks of choice of people in the area.  We've already had one neighbor yell at another neighbor because their kids set some shit off that fell on the first neighbor's yard.  If everything wasn't so wet, I think we'd have more than just a duplex that burned up in South Austin or whatever.  Then again, if everything wasn't so wet, I'd like to think they'd be smart enough to not be setting them off.

We just moved into a new house in April, and turns out that our street likes to compete with the row of houses on the other side of our shared greenbelt for fireworks dumbassery. Thankfully the greenbelt is full of water tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, Dewey said:

People in Austin have to be happy, I'm here visiting my mother,  driving back from the store she says "July 4th and green grass? Won't see that for another 10 years."

I live on the coast, never have I gotten out of my truck and experienced humidity greater in Austin than in Galveston. All I could think was "fuck me, I can't get away from it".  

Walking outside today like

image.gif.c54b00259efddb7638c5c5dd1fa528fe.gif