2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

oh well..any chance this rain rolls out of here in the next couple of hours?

got a houseful of (step)kids/grandkids that were counting on a lake trip...even got my dad to hang around an extra day with his boat to give the yankee younguns a thrill. rain mucking up the plan, man! 😕

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, mchookem said:

oh well..any chance this rain rolls out of here in the next couple of hours?

got a houseful of (step)kids/grandkids that were counting on a lake trip...even got my dad to hang around an extra day with his boat to give the yankee younguns a thrill. rain mucking up the plan, man! 😕

There is absolutely no acceptable time to complain about rain in Central Texas.  None.

Here in NW Travis, we completely missed out on yesterday.  Not a single drop.  But this morning we've had some steady rain, and I could take about another 4 or 5 days of it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Nope.  Can't even joke about it.  It's rain, in summer, in Central Texas.  There is no humor allowed on this subject.

no fun of any kind! - Dean Wormer - Animal House | Meme Generator

However, there is a little known codicil in the bylaws that permits such by concrete contractors such as myself when anticipating a large concrete placement that is cancelled by rain.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

However, there is a little known codicil in the bylaws that permits such by concrete contractors such as myself when anticipating a large concrete placement that is cancelled by rain.

I thought we made it clear it was a 'no-show' job.  You got you lollipop.  What more do you want? 

I really thought it was supposed to pour today.  What a nice day overall though.  50 days to the Autumnal Equinox and then I can overhaul my sprinkler system.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I thought we made it clear it was a 'no-show' job.  You got you lollipop.  What more do you want? 

I really thought it was supposed to pour today.  What a nice day overall though.  50 days to the Autumnal Equinox and then I can overhaul my sprinkler system.  

I mean, it's definitely about to pour in Austin.

7 hours ago, Orange&White said:

We have still only had one day of 100 degrees and it was only at Mabry and it was only for about 2 hours (June 14). We have only hit 99 twice (the day before and the day after the 100).

Obviously we have topped 100 a few times with the heat index, but this is all still pretty out of expectations and welcomed.

Pretty sure it hit 101 yesterday (Augsut 1st) before the storms cooled it down. At least according to Chikage's twitter. 

Ah yes, it was 10 years ago today that part of our neighborhood started on fire.  That was fun.  Today was even better though.  

the reason you see "No Parking R.O.W." signs along the MoPac access road between Barton Springs Road and Barton Skyway when you're trying to park for ACL is because of that day.  

I was hoping this week would finally get up to the 100s so I could enjoy my trip to Seattle that much more.

I spent all of July in chicago and part of me was a little pissed off at how mild the month was down in Austin. I thought my neighbor was gonna mow my lawn once mid-July but he never got around to it. Now I’ve got shin-high St. Augustine and thigh-high weeds. Mowing tomorrow is gonna be fun.

If it rains today, it'll be more toward afternoon.  Front has gone south and stopped, most of the stuff is down past Victoria and south.  Front will slowly creep back toward us today - how far it creeps = how much and who.  Best chances south and east of ATX.

Tails off Wed, but another low is moving down on Thurs, good rain chances again during the day.

Friday on dries out and heats up, but still not above normal (remember our normal temp at this time of year is 99° so 100-101 is no big deal.

BTW we've had 3 days > 100, one in each of June, July, and August (Aug 1 was 101° @ Mabry, where it more or less is the official reading).

20 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

BTW we've had 3 days > 100, one in each of June, July, and August (Aug 1 was 101° @ Mabry, where it more or less is the official reading).

remember when we had like 19 days of >100 in may in 2011?  that was terrible.  this has been glorious although i've been gone for most of it.

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

remember when we had like 19 days of >100 in may in 2011?  that was terrible.  this has been glorious although i've been gone for most of it.

Yes, and there were a total of 90 days of 100+ for that entire summer, which shattered the old record of 69.

I got a really nice weather station from Ambient Weather on 7/2 and set it up on 7/3.  I'm in Manchaca.  Since setting up I've had 7.81 inches of rain at my house.  In July and August.  I have yet to register a temperature over 98.9 F.  My kind of summer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Felix said:

I got a really nice weather station from Ambient Weather on 7/2 and set it up on 7/3.  I'm in Manchaca.  Since setting up I've had 7.81 inches of rain at my house.  In July and August.  I have yet to register a temperature over 98.9 F.  My kind of summer.

I'm just up the road from you with a similar station, and similar data.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yes, and there were a total of 90 days of 100+ for that entire summer, which shattered the old record of 69.

That’s when we lost the lost pines. That summer was absolutely brutal.  The 100 degree heat started in may and never once let up. 112 degrees on Labor Day at about same time the fires started. 

43 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

That’s when we lost the lost pines. That summer was absolutely brutal.  The 100 degree heat started in may and never once let up. 112 degrees on Labor Day at about same time the fires started. 

Yeah, Bastrop State Park was our favorite place to take our kids camping when they were little, such a quick getaway from Austin but still felt like you were in the middle of nowhere.  So much of it burned, and then it got overrun with rodents due to all the fallen trees and debris.  We haven't been back in probably 8 or 9 years.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, Bastrop State Park was our favorite place to take our kids camping when they were little, such a quick getaway from Austin but still felt like you were in the middle of nowhere.  So much of it burned, and then it got overrun with rodents due to all the fallen trees and debris.  We haven't been back in probably 8 or 9 years.

You mean R.O.U.S?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You mean R.O.U.S?

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Unfortunately, all of the folks who have recently moved to Austin from elsewhere (including out-of-state) are going to think this is the norm and get really settled in, so by the time they get the "real" Austin summer, they'll be too entrenched to want to move.

Unfortunately, all of the folks who have recently moved to Austin from elsewhere (including out-of-state) are going to think this is the norm and get really settled in, so by the time they get the "real" Austin summer, they'll be too entrenched to want to move.
Hah yeah I was talking to a girl who'd moved here in Nov from Chicago and I said how great of a summer this has been and she's like "wait this isn't normal? It's been so hot".
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

i will be telling the summer of 2011 stories to my grandchildren in my old age.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

In San Antonio, one morning I had ashes all over my car from the fires.

18 minutes ago, Bookman said:

In San Antonio, one morning I had ashes all over my car from the fires.

I was living in Bastrop during the fire. Remember watching a small "rain" cloud and went outside to see the pop up shower. It was the first smoke plume. Damn what an event. Within 12 hours I had 7 kids from my son's little league living at my place in town while their parents were trying to GTFO. 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, gsoda3 said:

Shit was heating up to 100 in May.   By the time July rolled around if you didn't get your outdoor crap done by 9 or 10A you weren't going to get it done that day.

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Shit was heating up to 100 in May.   By the time July rolled around if you didn't get your outdoor crap done by 9 or 10A you weren't going to get it done that day.

I think the D / FW MetroPlex set a record for the most 113 degree days in a year & it seemed like we roofed on every one of them (lotsa hail rolled through Plano, Dallas, Wylie, Mesquite, Addison, etc).  I think we did @baboso, "B" (can't find him in the tag list, may have a new name)... more than 6 or 7 Shaggers that summer.

Started around 0600, break around 1200, started again around 1400, rolled on to 2000.

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

I don't really stop to think about how fucking insane for weather was in Central Texas in 2011.  The winter was brutal (by our standards) and served as a massive fucking red flag about our electrical grid that we're still ignoring.  Then it was "Spring" for about 15 minutes in March.  We already had a handful of 100* days, double digits of them by Memorial Day, and then 90 overall.  Shit, I think our last one was around Columbus Day.  I think there was 27 days in a row at 100* at one point in August/September.  The median temperature for the whole 92 days of the Summer Solstice to Autumnal Equinox was 90 degrees.  Never got below 80 degrees for the entire month of August, not even for a minute.  And of course, no fucking rain.  I think there was a normal December to close out the year.  But holy shit, that was horrible.  We'll probably repeat that 5 more times in my lifetime.  

25 years in Austin, finally figured it out.  It's muggy as balls early in the morning.  And I just never acclimated to the humidity here.  So I tried for years to get early morning yardwork or workouts done, but just couldn't motivate myself.  The trick is (depending on the AM shade orientation of your house and yard), to let the sun burn off the much of the humidity from about 6:00-9:00a.  Then you can get in about 2 hours of shit done outside where it's damn warm (85-90), but not insufferable.  Then by midday, everything creeps back up again so head inside.  For a few hours in the afternoon, I can tolerate woodworking or fixing shit in the garage with the backdoor open and fans on and frequent trips to the beer fridge.  I'm sure we all had the same thing happen in 2011.  You'd procrastinate a buncha shit in the yard or garage, you'd suck it up and work for a few hours.  Next thing you know, you look down---you'd thrown away 8 beers.  You're not even slightly buzzed, you haven't pissed once, and your ass makes a sloshing sound when you walk to get the wire cutters.  

But in 2011, it was 90 degrees when you woke up with no humidity, just wildfires and my grass trying to self-immolate itself.  100 degrees by the time I finally sacked up and went outside.  110 degrees by the afternoon.  Then 100 degrees when we'd watch the nightly news.  If we were lucky, I could take out the trash behind the house at 11pm without needing to hydrate first.  

I'm not advocating for drought conditions leading to massive grass fires which level 1,500 homes, but I'm here to tell you:  as someone who grew up in a part of the country that spent 3 months of the year intermittently iced in, even a 110 F day seems like a minor inconvenience.  But, I'm fortunate, I have air conditioning.  That's a big differentiator that people seem to ignore.

The snowpocalypse was not a minor inconvenience.  Hurricane Harvey was not a minor inconvenience.  Raging fires are not a minor inconvenience.  The Jarrell tornado, however limited in scope, was not a minor inconvenience for those families who lost everything, and plenty of them didn't even make it to sunset.

Mother Nature has seen fit to batter Texas with plenty of shit over the past decade or two, and it's escalating, by observation.  I'll take the hot weather, but when it comes with drought and fire, nope.  It's a very fine line.  Thank goodness our leaders aren't asleep at the switch.

• Like 1

Hmmm... looking for the rain thread, but only found "BlastFunace/Fires 2011" thread.  So I'll put the update here.

Rain chances will actually climb up this afternoon.  A combo of lows in NE Mexico and one near Lubbock will get close enough to each other to work with whatever moisture heads our way from the Gulf today (which is a lot) and give us best chance of rain in 2 days.  Nothing widespread or all day, more of a decent shower or storm for an hour or so.  I'd say about 50/50 in this area.

For almost 3 months now we've been touting this incredibly mild and generally pleasant summer, always with a leery eye down the calendar - after all, it is Austin and it is summer.  So far the pattern has proven to be long-range (i.e. not just a week or so) and has eventually returned.

But I think we're almost turning the corner after today and tomorrow to what's left of our more typical summer.  Rain will dry up and temps will start knocking about in the high 90's (although remember, the normal high for the next 5-6 days is 99, so 100 is nothing at all.  But there's still so much moisture in the ground that I think for temps to hit 100+ every day it'll take awhile.  In June and July, we'd have a brief run of hot and dry, but this pattern always has come back.  Now it looks like that might not happen.  However, we're now so late in the season it'll be interesting to see just how much hot/dry can work through September once the ground dries out.

Not sure if it will from here.  Aug. forecasts from CPC have turned drier and warmer - previously they've been cooler and wetter.

We could still have a return to the Summer of Heaven but I'm not sure it'll happen from here.

So enjoy the next 2 days - looks like we're about to start whatever summer is left.

Edited by phdhorn

Hmmm... looking for the rain thread, but only found "BlastFunace/Fires 2011" thread.  So I'll put the update here.

Rain chances will actually climb up this afternoon.  A combo of lows in NE Mexico and one near Lubbock will get close enough to each other to work with whatever moisture heads our way from the Gulf today (which is a lot) and give us best chance of rain in 2 days.  Nothing widespread or all day, more of a decent shower or storm for an hour or so.  I'd say about 50/50 in this area.

For almost 3 months now we've been touting this incredibly mild and generally pleasant summer, always with a leery eye down the calendar - after all, it is Austin and it is summer.  So far the pattern has proven to be long-range (i.e. not just a week or so) and has eventually returned.

But I think we're almost turning the corner after today and tomorrow to what's left of our more typical summer.  Rain will dry up and temps will start knocking about in the high 90's (although remember, the normal high for the next 5-6 days is 99, so 100 is nothing at all.  But there's still so much moisture in the ground that I think for temps to hit 100+ every day it'll take awhile.  In June and July, we'd have a brief run of hot and dry, but this pattern always has come back.  Now it looks like that might not happen.  However, we're now so late in the season it'll be interesting to see just how much hot/dry can work through September once the ground dries out.

Not sure if it will from here.  Aug. forecasts from CPC have turned drier and warmer - previously they've been cooler and wetter.

We could still have a return to the Summer of Heaven but I'm not sure it'll happen from here.

So enjoy the next 2 days - looks like we're about to start whatever summer is left.
FaroffFrequentBullmastiff-max-1mb.gif

Well, I did write in your yearbook, "Have a cool summer bro!"  As opposed to your lame-ass, "We had some fun times in Mr. Bookman's class this year!"  Fucking dork.  

Seriously, log-off and get some rest you breakthrough case you.

Yeah, we all gonna git rained on within 30 mins.  Not super heavy but a steady patch coming through.  Heavier stuff SE of that (down by El Campo/Bay City/Port Lavaca) but could easily see an embedded potent storm sweep by in this blob coming up.

Enjoy this sucker, because the faucet goes off by tomorrow afternoon for at least 10 days it looks like.