2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

The rain most of us had was a severe thunderstorm warning east of us (Bastrop County) with hail and wind.  Again, the models are doing a great job so far.

Radar is clear now W of us... hopefully lack of sun/a good soaking we had will stabilize the atmosphere a bit and keep the ST threat east of us.  

But next hour will tell - look for the line to fill in in the usual suspects' places (W of 281).

Whe

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

So far no development out west.  I think the rain earlier was a lot more than forecast and it stabilized the atmosphere a bit.  But I can't blow it off yet..

How late into the evening would damaging hail be a concern? Couple more hours? 

On 4/22/2021 at 11:41 AM, Hmbre97 said:

Any chance of hail? I'd like to go for the hat trick with my truck.

Well, how'd it go?
Lessee... I've been on... um... 8 Shag roofs in this last week.  Got an adjuster meeting in 4 hours & here I am on the Surl.  Rex, if I fall off your house do a fave & put a pillow under my head.

Cedar Park, Bertram, Burnet, Georgetown, Round Rock & Derkaville.  Had an odd one, roofing saleshole signs in many, many yards all up & down his street but only 2 or 3 scattered shots (3 in the Cat Hollow area that DID have hail damage, his?  Not really).

Just a reminder, when you see “normal” temps for Austin, it’s not a running average of every year like you may expect.  NOAA does things a little differently and those temperatures and rainfall amounts are going to look different beginning next month. 

https://www.kut.org/energy-environment/2021-04-26/hotter-stormier-droughtier-what-to-look-for-as-meteorologists-update-normal-weather-for-austin

So, it's gonna be hotter this summer than usual?  Fucking great.  What else is new?  Let's stop bothering with historical averages.  Of the 25 hottest summers on record in Austin, 15 have happened since I moved here 25 years ago.  That's kinda fucked up and kinda all I really care about.  I see those records in the 1920's and I feel bad for those  folks but we're just all kinda wrong right now.  

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

So, it's gonna be hotter this summer than usual?  Fucking great.  What else is new?  Let's stop bothering with historical averages.  Of the 25 hottest summers on record in Austin, 15 have happened since I moved here 25 years ago.  That's kinda fucked up and kinda all I really care about.  I see those records in the 1920's and I feel bad for those  folks but we're just all kinda wrong right now.  

Word on the street is it's going to be like 2011.  Enjoy.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You know a lot of street meteorologists, do ya?  

Hey man, not all of us can afford those high-end in-call meteorologists who work out of the W and whatnot.  We have to settle for the meteorologists who ply their trade where the streetlights are as broken as the dreams.

• Hook 'Em 1

And this is what the NWS has forecast through May 5.  I really hope that Euro wins out because Lake Buchanan could really use that rain. Where they have the heaviest rain falling for Central Texas is the sweet spot for making its way into the lake.

p168i.gif?1619565420

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don't wanna write much forecast:

Tonight:  Big storms roll into Hill Country overnight, die out in strength west of us Tues. morning.  Just some rain, not a lot.
Tomorrow:  Not much happening until dinner time, then 2 waves:  1) Early/mid evening greatest chance of severe storms, and it's likely, though scattered.  2) Overnight could be big rain event, but not severe (moved out earlier).  Type of thing where local flooding can occur, not widespread.

More on that later.

And if you know how hot it's gonna be this summer, please contact me.  I want some lottery numbers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

And if you know how hot it's gonna be this summer, please contact me.  I want some lottery numbers.

It'll be hot.  Damn hot.  Real hot.  Hotter than ass in my shorts.  I can cook things in it.  Little crotch pot cooking.  Fool, it's hot...I told you again.  Were you born on the sun?  It's damn hot.  It's so damn hot, I saw this little guy in orange robes burst into flames.  It's gonna be hot and wet.  

Took me until college to realize he was referring to Buddhist self-immolations.  But for some reason, that's the part I laugh at the hardest.  

In other news, the next 2-3 weekends are the best time to fertilize your lawn in Central Texas.  If you go the au natural route.  If you use chemical fertilizers, I dunno.  

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

In other news, the next 2-3 weekends are the best time to fertilize your lawn in Central Texas.  If you go the au natural route.  If you use chemical fertilizers, I dunno.  

So shit on our lawns the next few weeks like a good Buddhist? Got ya. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Tonight:  Big storms roll into Hill Country overnight, die out in strength west of us Tues. morning.  Just some rain, not a lot.
Tomorrow:  Not much happening until dinner time, then 2 waves: 

Since it's Tuesday night, could you specify if you mean west of the Tuesday Morning in Bee Cave, Leander, or South Lamar?

• Hook 'Em 1