2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

Yeah, I think we're gonna get spanked by the line forming now just E. of San Angelo.  Probably about 10-11.  That's likely wind and hail in some pinpoint location. But that's a textbook dry line spring complex.

Storms are supposed to weaken by the time they get here... uh, we'll see.
Does this bring Jim Spencer out of retirement?

6 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Yeah I can see glimpses of lightening and hear thunder in circle c. Crazy

Yeah, I heard a decent peal of thunder, looked at the radar, and didn't see a storm within 50 miles.  I'm like, what in the world???  Sometimes that happens right when a storm blows up, but no storms.

Not unusual for lightning to strike well away from storms (a product of the electricity in the air generated by warm/cold friction) but 45 miles is a pretty good distance.

2 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:
Yeah, I think we're gonna get spanked by the line forming now just E. of San Angelo.  Probably about 10-11.  That's likely wind and hail in some pinpoint location. But that's a textbook dry line spring complex.

Storms are supposed to weaken by the time they get here... uh, we'll see.

Does this bring Jim Spencer out of retirement?

Jim right now:

73jG.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, texhorn said:

I’m getting lightning and Thunder in west Georgetown. Closest thing on radar for me is the SA storm. Crazy.

7 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:

Just heard thunder in Buda. Is that from the SA storm?

It's possible to have L & T in a dry-on-the-ground situation.  If the cloud contains enough moisture, the positive charges mostly in the mid/upper cloud will cause enough friction with the lower par, which has mostly negative charges.   You might get a flash/peal even though it's not storming.  That's my guess.

45 miles is a helluva long way to throw a lightning strike.

Edited by phdhorn

Just had to go from 360/2222 to Barton Creek subdivision to pick up my kid from a lightning-called soccer practice.  Lightning was bizarre.  Random strikes clearly dozens of miles from any serious weather.  (Not that lightning isn't severe, but it was clear this was way ahead of the advancing storm.)

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

http://www.corad.org/texas_radar.htm

Gonna be a blast tonite...😯

I've been watching the radar all up and down 35 and these storms are weakening, as NWS said they should.  They've nailed this forecast right on... so far.

The stuff behind this first wave contains thunderstorms, some strong, but I'm hoping if we dodge this first, worst bullet over the next hour we'll be okay all night.  Waves of rain here/there and of course still a chance for a TS, but hopefully the worst (as expected) is in this first wave.  Crossing fingers.

• Hook 'Em 2

Alright, for ATX I'm cautiously optimistic that we won't get slammed by the first wave dry line.  Storms are trying to build but just aren't.  I chalk that up to the lack of sun today, ground wasn't really warm so it didn't radiate heat up the way it might.

Anyway, the dry line should pass through by 10 or so.  The following storms are part of the system proper, and we'll have periods of all intensities of rain all over the greater portion of Texas through tomorrow morning.  Sure some storms might be loud, but I think the worst severe will move off soon.  Rain totals could pile up, but are forecast to mostly be west of us with the greater ones.

Still, it'll probably be a rainy night with occasional moderate storms, yeah 1-2 could be low-end severe but mostly not.

Later, I'm out unless sumpin' happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, miguelito said:

KSAT with good coverage as usual.  Adam had a 3d imaging app on his green screen thing.  He could cut a vertical slice through the storm and see where the hail was.  Pretty cool.

Anyway, stay safe. 

https://www.ksat.com/weather/2021/04/28/tornado-watch-has-been-issued-for-areas-west-of-san-antonio/

I've never seen this KSAT dude, but he's been nailing it for an hour and a half.

26 minutes ago, George said:

Sweet. Sirens going off in Frisco/McKinney. We’re about to catch the Keller leftovers. 

situational awareness measured in negative numbers.

watching channel 5 radar and channel 8 delkus / panaker in real time, the storm is obviously lifting to the north, and they are freaking out about allen and mckinney who were in the clear 20 minutes ago.

fuck delkus.

troy is watching at home shaking his head.

long live jack van roy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, I heard a decent peal of thunder, looked at the radar, and didn't see a storm within 50 miles.  I'm like, what in the world???  Sometimes that happens right when a storm blows up, but no storms.

Not unusual for lightning to strike well away from storms (a product of the electricity in the air generated by warm/cold friction) but 45 miles is a pretty good distance.

Earlier this evening, was hearing thunder, swear the radar showed the major activity down towards SA/NB.  That was weird.

Also, sounds like artillery practice at Camp Mabry.

• Hook 'Em 1