Baker Mayfield is a piece of shit catchall thread

Landomatic

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

You just described a bad ass who started off in a shitty situation, was treated even worse, was brought in to babysit and the was given the keys because he was obviously the best option to win. Then he was replaced by a white guy ASAP. 

Even with all that he broke down barriers and was a stud. 

He should be in the Hall of Fame for what he achieved in spite of everything he had to go through. 👍

So you’re going to die on the hill that a “badass QB” is one that has one good game. Got it.
By that definition, virtually every QB1 in the history of the league is a badass. So every team should be winning the SB every year. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, nnm said:

Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlesberger, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Jim Plunkett, and Doug Williams say hi. 

Ben Roethlisberger? Who has 56,000 career passing yards, has led the league in passing yds twice and yds/g 3 times, 2 super bowl wins and a history of perennial playoff contention? He is one of the weaker SB winning QBs in your eyes? Are you fucking serious?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ben Roethlisberger? Who has 56,000 career passing yards, has led the league in passing yds twice and yds/g 3 times, 2 super bowl wins and a history of perennial playoff contention? He is one of the weaker SB winning QBs in your eyes? Are you fucking serious?

He won his SBs pretty early and he was pretty much a bus driver those years, especially the first when his job was to not turn the ball over and let the D and run game handle the rest, but I agree with the overall sentiment.  He wasn't a bus driver his entire career.

Baker is going to have to be a bus driver if Cleveland wants any shot of winning this season, if they expect him to throw the ball 30-35 times a game they're going to lose a lot of games with a pathetic schedule. Chubb/Hunt are clearly the best backfield duo in the NFL the gaudy numbers they're putting up with a fat, pudgy troll in the backfield who isn't much of a passing threat is incredible. I'm not gonna be surprised at some point if Keenum becomes the starter, he was successful in that offense in Minnesota. Baker will have one of his usual games where he throws 3 picks including a pick six and he'll find his ass on the bench pouting.

18 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You know what he has in common with those guys? Riding a running game and defense to a super bowl win.

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He won his SBs pretty early and he was pretty much a bus driver those years, especially the first when his job was to not turn the ball over and let the D and run game handle the rest, but I agree with the overall sentiment.  He wasn't a bus driver his entire career.

Can't beleive I'm defending fucking Big Ben this morning, but such is this site sometimes. In their 2nd SB win - 2009 - the Steelers only had 58 rushing yards. They put 20 on the board on offense which was enough when you include their DTD from that game (that I beleive they had - correct me if I'm wrong). Including a game winning drive where he threw a laser to the back corner of the end zone for Holmes to win it.

In the AFC title game to get there they only had 52 rushing yards - Ben wasn't excellent, throwing 16 for 33, but had 0 picks and threw a 65 yard touchdown to Santonio Holmes on a broken play. 

His run in 2006 was actually better, even though they didn't rely on the pass as much in the SB. Game by game to get to the SB he had -

14/19, 208 yds, 3 TDs 0 INTs

14/24, 197 yds, 2 TDs 1 INT

21/29, 279 yds, 2 TDs 0 INTs

He was poor in the SB but across all 4 games threw just 3 picks and took only 6 sacks. That's more than just driving the bus - even though the D and running game gave him that first SB. And that was a different era where teams weren't throwing for 275 on an off night.

37 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Agreed with what you’re saying, except he’ll go higher than 5th round. 4th round at worst, 1st round at best, depending on how his season(s) play out. I’ll predict 3rd rounder. 

If he goes out this year then I bet he's a late first or second rounder. Weak QB class. Not sure what the competition is for 2022*.

Edited by ztejas

55 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Agreed with what you’re saying, except he’ll go higher than 5th round. 4th round at worst, 1st round at best, depending on how his season(s) play out. I’ll predict 3rd rounder. 

I agree he'll go higher, I was only saying where I would draft him if we drafted right now. He can certainly improve beyond 5th round draftability over the next year (or two). If he progresses like he could then second day (2nd or 3rd round) is easily reasonable .

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Baker is going to have to be a bus driver if Cleveland wants any shot of winning this season, if they expect him to throw the ball 30-35 times a game they're going to lose a lot of games with a pathetic schedule. Chubb/Hunt are clearly the best backfield duo in the NFL the gaudy numbers they're putting up with a fat, pudgy troll in the backfield who isn't much of a passing threat is incredible. I'm not gonna be surprised at some point if Keenum becomes the starter, he was successful in that offense in Minnesota. Baker will have one of his usual games where he throws 3 picks including a pick six and he'll find his ass on the bench pouting.

Lol.  Baker is a top 30 QB.  Barely.  He was ROY and has the rookie QB passing TD record.  He sucks compared to good QB’s.  He’s not losing his job to Keenum unless he’s injured.  He has toned down a lot of his shit talking from year 2 so maybe he can get to what he was as a rookie.  A better than average game manager.  If Sam plays his cards right he can be the same thing and make a fuckload of money in the process.  

Dak Slander, not surprised of course, by some.

I hope Sam gets a shot. But most are right, at best he'll be a 5th round pick, unless he has some monster great passing season.  

I also agree that him getting a career backup role like Chase or even Colt, wouldn't be bad for him. Go make you 40+ mil by standing on the sideline. He'll have earned it.

8 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Both of those Super Bowl years the Steelers’ passing game ranked higher than their running game. In 2009 the passing game ranked 9th vs 19th for the rushing game...

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

White privilege?

you don't see Wentz or Goff in anything and they're slightly white too, while also toiling in larger TV markets.

The Baker phenomenon is uncanny.

Edited by slorch

On 9/18/2020 at 11:44 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  Baker is a top 30 QB.  Barely.  He was ROY and has the rookie QB passing TD record.  He sucks compared to good QB’s.  He’s not losing his job to Keenum unless he’s injured.  He has toned down a lot of his shit talking from year 2 so maybe he can get to what he was as a rookie.  A better than average game manager.  If Sam plays his cards right he can be the same thing and make a fuckload of money in the process.  

Wasn't that Saquon?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, slorch said:

you don't see Wentz or Goff in anything and they're slightly white too, while also toiling in larger TV markets.

The Baker phenomenon is uncanny.

I think it is because he had a brash personality and played on the big stage in college constantly. Won the Heisman and was a finalist in all 3 seasons at OU. His interviews were passionate and he had a vibrant personality, for better or worse. People were interested in him. Wentz didn't even play FBS and was not known like that to the public. Goff played at Cal and they were an irrelevant team. They are the opposite of Baker in terms of their personalities and too boring to advertisers. They don't care about his ability right now.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think it is because he had a brash personality and played on the big stage in college constantly. Won the Heisman and was a finalist in all 3 seasons at OU. His interviews were passionate and he had a vibrant personality, for better or worse. People were interested in him. Wentz didn't even play FBS and was not known like that to the public. Goff played at Cal and they were an irrelevant team. They are the opposite of Baker in terms of their personalities and too boring to advertisers. They don't care about his ability right now.

Personality is polarizing but unless you're surveying UT fans, more people like him, vs hate him - now I'm talking his rookie year when he landed all these deals.  Just look at Kyler - clearly a better player and an easier personality to support for the masses...but has basically zero commercial appeal compared to Baker.  And I'm the first to admit Baker leaves A LOT to be desired in terms of personality...also remember, these are NFL fans, not the savviest bunch out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Personality is polarizing but unless you're surveying UT fans, more people like him, vs hate him - now I'm talking his rookie year when he landed all these deals.  Just look at Kyler - clearly a better player and an easier personality to support for the masses...but has basically zero commercial appeal compared to Baker.  And I'm the first to admit Baker leaves A LOT to be desired in terms of personality...also remember, these are NFL fans, not the savviest bunch out there. 

He should cash on the popularity of Star Wars, even if he is a detestable piece of shit.

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Agreed. Had he not played for OU, I don't think many would have any real opinion on him from a UT fandom perspective. We hate every OU coach and player, especially the QB. I don't think most NFL fans hate him. They crack on his abilities but that is about it. Many NFL fans don't even keep up with college that closely like we do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Small sampling, but I was just curious to see where BM (appropriate initials) was ranked after 2 weeks. Dude should change his number to 26 or 27.  That's where he lives ...

Passer Rating: 27

Passing Yards: 26

Completions: 27

Completion %: 27

Yards/Attempt: 26

Yards/Game: 26

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Agreed. Had he not played for OU, I don't think many would have any real opinion on him from a UT fandom perspective. We hate every OU coach and player, especially the QB. I don't think most NFL fans hate him. They crack on his abilities but that is about it. Many NFL fans don't even keep up with college that closely like we do.

Baker Mayfield is a douchebag who far outstrips most who have ever played the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

Small sampling, but I was just curious to see where BM (appropriate initials) was ranked after 2 weeks. Dude should change his number to 26 or 27.  That's where he lives ...

Passer Rating: 27

Passing Yards: 26

Completions: 27

Completion %: 27

Yards/Attempt: 26

Yards/Game: 26

The-concept-of-accuracy-versus-precision

Precise, but not accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, futureman said:

didn’t they go 10-6 with derek anderson and still miss the playoffs?  am I remembering that right. 

Don’t remind me of the Bears going 10-6 missing the playoffs and firing Lovie and entering a cesspool of coaches for the years after.  Lovie isn’t everyones cup of tea but he fit with the bears.  The winner of the cowboys devision might be 7-9 and make the playoffs and no one will be fired from the winning team.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Baker Mayfield is a piece of shit catchall thread