Beer 2020?! F*ck that sh*t! Beer 2021!

HenryJames

1 minute ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

dry january is gonna sink some breweries. december was horrible and january and february are going to be worse. we’re a fairly popular brewery, well regarded, in a great spot and we’re struggling right now.

If you’re in Austin I’ll get people to come by including myself. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

dry january is gonna sink some breweries. december was horrible and january and february are going to be worse. we’re a fairly popular brewery, well regarded, in a great spot and we’re struggling right now.

I can still buy beer. 

I will also send my son to your place. You’re in the Heights right?

• Like 1

No pictures but my 2021 beer drinking so far....

Anchor Christmas Ale - Magnum bottle on NYE.  I think I liked it but, yeah, it was a long night.

Cyclers (Montgomery) mixed IPA sixer.  East Coast (my favorite of the trio), West Coast IPA (very good in its own right) and a Gulf Coast IPA (good but a different take on IPAs).  None are totally hoppy and all are more subdued than an old school IPA.  Even if you are not a typical IPA drinker these are worth trying.

11 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Yeah I know of two very established breweries in Austin that are just barely hanging on.  Just cause I'm not drinking it, doesn't mean I'm not buying. I emptied the beer fridge over Christmas, it needs to be restocked and waiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I know of two very established breweries in Austin that are just barely hanging on.  Just cause I'm not drinking it, doesn't mean I'm not buying. I emptied the beer fridge over Christmas, it needs to be restocked and waiting.

Given that I think you know Chip, I sure hope you don't mean Live Oak.

16 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

just north of the Heights proper. appreciate any word of mouth!

There was a shaggy guy that had a place with the logo of hops I think. Is that you? I met that guy one day. I said I was from the Internet. It was when we lived in Houston two years ago. 

1 hour ago, drt said:

Bummer. I’m guessing the other is ABW. Guess I’ll do a curbside order or two. 

For sure,  buy beer if you can.

I'm not trying to be cryptic, it's just not really my news to tell and I don't know the real specifics anyway.  I'll just say, and I believe @patrickdrinksbeer would agree, that it's extremely tough for ALL of them right now.  Whatever means you have available, would be appreciated by any and all of your favorite local breweries.  They're getting beat down right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I can tell which Iowa breweries are most comfortable financially, based on their COVID policy.  There are two breweries in the state (that I know of) that aren't allowing any indoor seating (the state would let them do it with masking and spacing requirements) yet, and I can only assume that if they were in a tighter spot, they would be as open as legally allowed.

I almost suspect that at least one of these is selling so many cans, that they're almost seeing a higher profit level in the short term because of the drastic drop in taproom staff and non-beer sale tap room expenses.  I can't see how their volume of sales isn't affected, but I would have no idea.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:37 AM, RMac5 said:

Damn, hate to hear that about the local breweries. Hope Celis and the others can survive this mess, had no idea of their struggle.

My local beer bar/restaurant was a couple months shy of their 10 year anniversay and is closing in the next couple of days.

Yeah I feel bad for all of those in that business. We actually owned a burger joint with a full bar, sold it in November just before Covid showed up. Cannot tell you how happy I was to be out of that business but feel bad for the guys that bought it. I know they are struggling, not sure where they are financially but hope they can make it.