Beer 2020?! F*ck that sh*t! Beer 2021!

HenryJames

19 hours ago, mdleast said:

No Cloak Room but one of the few things that have aged well since 2016

fb0792172888205e7b962688202d23b2.jpg

Fun story about Pumpkinator.

I had a bottle from a beer trade about 5-6 years ago.  Some buddies I grew up with were in town, and after a Saturday night out at the bars, we stayed up until some idiotic hour continuing to drink and listen to music at an excessive volume in my basement.  We cracked a bottle of Pumpkinator, but didn't finish it before everyone staggered off to bed.  Come Sunday, I didn't bother cleaning the bar up, figuring I'd get to it on Monday.

Monday late afternoon, there's a fire call to a burning farmhouse (I'm volunteer FF).  After we get it out, and get the trucks cleaned and put away, a couple guys decide to come back over to our basement beer because after all that work, beer sounded good.  We get down to the basement, and there's still the aftermath of Saturday night sprawled across the bar top.  

I start cleaning up, and my one buddy spots the open bottle of Pumpkinator.  He's curious, and I warn him that it was opened Saturday night, but my basement is perpetually below 60 degrees, so it was still probably drinkable.  We're sitting around BSing, and he's sipping off the Pumpkinator bottle.  Finally he goes "is this supposed to be minty?"  I look at him odd and say no.  We figure it's just the lingering taste from his cigarettes or something.

About 5 minutes later, he takes a pull, and makes a gagging noise.  He pulls a pouch of chew off the front of his mouth.  One of the guys on Saturday night had drunkenly deposited their chew pouch into the Pumpkinator before passing out.  Somehow he kept it together and didn't puke.  The guy has an iron gut.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I am on a ranch and the only available beer here is Coors Light, Bud Light, and Miller Light.  I have just now had a taste of each one of them and I swear there is absolutely NO difference between any of the three.  All three companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars trying to convince you that there is THE BEST light beer ever created. Hundreds of millions of dollars when any of them could just say "meh ... you know what?  We ain't going to try to convince you that our beer is the shit anymore. We're giving the money we would normally have given to a highly-paid celebrity spokesperson to charity."   Were I a light beer drinker, I'd drink that beer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

PS can you tell me the name of the west coast app you were using?

Craft Shack.  No app but they have a website.  I had tried one with an app called Craft Beer Kings but like the selection at Craft Shack better and wasn't happy with the age of some of the CBK beers received. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Regarding my last pic: has anyone ever tried anything from Surly? I didn't even notice as I was taking the picture. Looks like they are out of Minnesota. One of their slogans is "Don't Be A Dick" so they might not fit in around here.

https://surlybrewing.com/

They used to be one of the preeminent breweries in the Midwest, but lost their head brewer about 4 years ago as they decided to just try and explode.

They aren't as good as they used to be, and they've had to close down their Taj Mahal-esque taproom since COVID.

They make pretty decent beers yet, but just don't seem to be pushing things the way they once did.  Todd the Axe Man is a pretty good hazy IPA, Xtra Citra is a fine session beer, Surlyfest (Oktoberfest) was always a favorite, and Abrasive (west coast IIPA) is still worth getting, but their luster has faded.  I don't think I'd call them a Top 5 brewery in Minnesota any more, let alone the region as a whole.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They used to be one of the preeminent breweries in the Midwest, but lost their head brewer about 4 years ago as they decided to just try and explode.

They aren't as good as they used to be, and they've had to close down their Taj Mahal-esque taproom since COVID.

They make pretty decent beers yet, but just don't seem to be pushing things the way they once did.  Todd the Axe Man is a pretty good hazy IPA, Xtra Citra is a fine session beer, Surlyfest (Oktoberfest) was always a favorite, and Abrasive (west coast IIPA) is still worth getting, but their luster has faded.  I don't think I'd call them a Top 5 brewery in Minnesota any more, let alone the region as a whole.

Their long time head brewer went to 3F if I remember correctly.  

22 hours ago, mdleast said:

Parish collab. It’s not Ghost in the Machine but it’s not too bad either.

7ae9cd74161f2b6a90eeefe5356952d5.jpg

I was pretty disappointed tbh.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, Buzzrock said:

Grabbed this little guy and sat in the sun yesterday and smoked a cigar or two. It was an AK-less day.

9d091eefd359e576ca31422fa91432d2.jpg

Obligatory "how was it?" post.

There was a time when Hopslam was my gold standard.  It's been the better part of a decade since I've really loved a batch of it.  I keep telling myself that I'm going to stop grabbing a 6 pack every year because it's always marked way the fuck up, but I always keep pulling the trigger out of some sense of obligation to the past.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:51 PM, Storm the Field said:

Right there with you. Just tortured myself a bit catching up on this thread. I'm tapping out Friday afternoon. Can't do another weekend, though not looking forward to getting re-acquainted with hangovers. 

tumblr_m0p2xzyrL81rntezlo1_400.gif

Too damn nice outside and the bar has been re-stocked in anticipation of the weekend. No chance of resisting cracking a few open while manning the grill this evening. 25 days will have to suffice.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, Buzzrock said:

Regarding my last pic: has anyone ever tried anything from Surly? I didn't even notice as I was taking the picture. Looks like they are out of Minnesota. One of their slogans is "Don't Be A Dick" so they might not fit in around here.

Remember an also-ran thrash band from Minneapolis called Powermad? No? All the same, the lead guitarist is the brewer who left Surly for 3F.

Stopped by Ghost Note Brewery today, grand opening weekend. They converted an old wedding venue and it's a pretty nice set up. Only six beers on tap as of now, I had a west coast IPA that was decent enough. There was a food truck(mostly burgers)and a few appetizers from the bar. They're still working on turning one of the buildings into a music venue. Overall a nice place to add to the growing list of Hill Country drinking spots.

It's off RR12 between Dripping Springs and Wimberley. I wouldn't have known about it if I didn't see their sign by the road. Not much info on their website but a link to the Facebook page shows it's been in the works for a couple of years.

As a matter of fact, fellow Surly, I’m having a Surly right now. Their spin on a West Coast double IPA. Pretty tasty but more on the sweeter/maltier end of the DIPA spectrum. I’m a big fan of their Xtra Citra pale ale.

a4bc35e2fab15342f5df312dd73c5ae8.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1