Beer 2020?! F*ck that sh*t! Beer 2021!

HenryJames

Just saw an online ad for a service called HopDrip that apparently delivers Dallas beers to Houston and Houston beers to Dallas. Heard of it? Any thoughts on joining it?

yeah we’ve participated with HopDrop in the past, but we have no issue selling all of our own cans. it’s the slowed taproom and distributed keg sales that have tanked. obviously i understand why that is and we’ve been very cautious in our own taproom with reduced capacity, no bar seating, one-use plastic cups only (which i despise), only table service (no lines), and zero events. we may jump back on with HopDrop just to move a little more volume. the production capacity of our canning line and the (lack of) availability of actual cans really limit the amount of volume we can put into cans vs kegs. it’s probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30/70 right now.
  • Like 1

just for a little more perspective, we’re at about $0.50 per can in packaging costs (can+lid+label+paktech holder+cardboard case flat). that doesn’t include the cost of canning machine, CO2, spillage, labor, designer, or any of the actual beer costs. so there is an enormous difference in selling a $12-16 four pack of IPA to-go ($3-4 per beer) compared to $6-7 pints in glassware we can use hundreds of times. our business built on margins of draft beer isn’t really feasible on margins of canned beer (at a small scale).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah I have always understood that the best profits for brewery taprooms (as well as growler fill bars/bottle shops) is drink there in person tap pours. Had forgotten about the can shortage. That’s a double nut kick to all y’all given everything else you’re dealing with. Honestly, I mainly scrolled through the HopDrop site to see if you were on there as well as a few other local breweries there I have visited/liked that we don’t get here. Wondered how good of a deal it is for y’all (beyond your examples of tap vs can).

Looking forward to visiting your place again the next time I’m in town and remember:

69521211701cbf1101c97aca747609a4.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

My roommate always buys the Martinhouse gimmick beers and gives me one to critique, tad bit on the sweet side but the only one I’ve tried that I’d actually consider paying for. Yes, I have baby hands.

222765D7-646A-4BD8-B245-2EAE3B27E509.jpeg

I thought this was @HenryJames post and he was just having his kid hold the can for fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

My roommate always buys the Martinhouse gimmick beers and gives me one to critique, tad bit on the sweet side but the only one I’ve tried that I’d actually consider paying for. Yes, I have baby hands.

222765D7-646A-4BD8-B245-2EAE3B27E509.jpeg

I actually like Martin House but this beer was not good imo. Tasted nothing like puppy chow (“what did ya expect from Martin House, greeny” - everyone... probably)

9 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I actually like Martin House but this beer was not good imo. Tasted nothing like puppy chow (“what did ya expect from Martin House, greeny” - everyone... probably)

I don’t hate them, I do hate their novelty beers of which I found this one the least offensive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, drt said:

Live oak put their taproom only 6 packs on sale for $10. Hope this doesn’t mean what I think it means. 

fyi diamant and juicemeister are both solid

That's been their standard price.  Their mainstays are $12 but the taproom-only 6ers are $10.

Except for Treehugger of course.

23 minutes ago, drt said:

That’s not true as recently as last month. Juicemeister was 18 and diamant was 12. They’d raised prices as I know they used to be 10, so maybe they’re just going back to business as usual. 

OK I'll take your word for it.  I haven't paid more than $10 for any taproom-only releases since last May or so, other than Treehugger which was released in 4-packs at premium pricing .  But I also haven't bought them all. 

I don't think this is anything specifically doomy regarding the brewery, but I do know that the volume of business for them (and many other breweries) post-COVID isn't sustainable, and that bridge funding isn't enough to prop it up for much longer.