CFP National Championship: Alabama vs Ohio State

NorthTexasCougar

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s fascinating because we’ve never seen a program built at this level before, ever. It is perhaps the most complete dynasty that’s ever existed in major American sports, and so while it’s not “dramatic” you have to admire what’s been constructed. 

lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Anyone bitching because Saban made history should just stfu. Dude built a machine and if there's a problem with it then maybe others should get on their level. 

That's what I keep telling my buddies. My main crew of guys that I have been friends with went to  Ohio State, Notre Dame, State Pen, Sparty, FSU, and Pitt. Even though AU is my #2 team I just want them to emulate Alabama, not fucking complain about them.

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s fascinating because we’ve never seen a program built at this level before, ever. It is perhaps the most complete dynasty that’s ever existed in major American sports, and so while it’s not “dramatic” you have to admire what’s been constructed. 

In college football, yes, but I’d put the UCLA basketball dynasty over these guys (although they aren’t done)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Anyone bitching because Saban made history should just stfu. Dude built a machine and if there's a problem with it then maybe others should get on their level. 

Bagmen are being re-assigned this week, right?  When's the first 'croot shipment?  Once that pipleline is started, we gotta get the NFL involved, then it'll self-replicate.

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

In college football, yes, but I’d put the UCLA basketball dynasty over these guys (although they aren’t done)

If you don't put the UCLA basketball dynasty over them then you're a dunce. 10 out of 12 national championships including 7 in a row in a sport where upsets are more common than football.

And Rod Dedeaux's run with USC baseball was also better but it's questionable if college baseball is a major American sport.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

John wooden says hi

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

wtf? ever heard of John Wooden and UCLA?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If you don't put the UCLA basketball dynasty over them then you're a dunce. 10 out of 12 national championships including 7 in a row in a sport where upsets are more common than football.

And Rod Dedeaux's run with USC baseball was also better but it's questionable if college baseball is a major American sport.

Retracted my bad thought I was quoted as ranking.

Edited by DanTheHorn

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Damn, Alabama is a machine. What’s unreal is that this is the first undefeated team since 2009 despite all their success.

The entire 2020 season has been compromised by COVID but otherwise we’re talking about this team as in the discussion for best ever. 

What’s underrated is how hard it is to go undefeated in a season.  This was Sabans 2nd undefeated season ever, he now joins that very exclusive club.   There are many other famous names who caught lightning in a bottle and did it once.  

Osborne did it 3 times,  dick muncher at OU did it 4, rapey McJoePa did it 5, Gil Dobie did it 11 times. 

csb, my great grandfather is on that list.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Bagmen are being re-assigned this week, right?  When's the first 'croot shipment?  Once that pipleline is started, we gotta get the NFL involved, then it'll self-replicate.

Yeah, because no one ever payed players in the history of CFB until Nick Saban came along.

Have you seen Ohio State's recruiting rankings? They're right up there with Bama, yet he's won 6 in the last 11 years to their 1.

28 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Eh. Six titles in twelve is awesome but maybe not quite GOAT. A lot have been mentioned already but I'd add: Russell Celtics, Jordan Bulls in the NBA. I'd consider the Pats 6 wins and 9 SBs across 18 seasons with the same coach and QB about as impressive considering how much harder it is to stay on top in the NFL. The 49ers 4 wins in 9 years and 5 in 14 was an awesome run as well. In the NHL the Canadiens won 8 in 13 years in the 50s and 60s all with Toe Blake coaching. 

I guess something that is tough(er) about college is that you are bringing new kids in every 3-4 years. I still think it's harder to stay on top in the pros. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Yeah, because no one ever payed players in the history of CFB until Nick Saban came along.

No one has been able to get away with their own shrewd systems of recruiting or bothered to reinvent modern scholarship football the way Saban has either.  Sure, other programs got theirs, but not sustainably.  I'll credit Saban for his ability to keep it all together and rolling, through staff changes, brief successes of in-conference rivals and to closely regulate access to his program, better than the rest.

29 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Bag men will be assembled and this 2022 class will reflect that. I'm expecting 22 NC's in a row. We're Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Eh. Six titles in twelve is awesome but maybe not quite GOAT. A lot have been mentioned already but I'd add: Russell Celtics, Jordan Bulls in the NBA. I'd consider the Pats 6 wins and 9 SBs across 18 seasons with the same coach and QB about as impressive considering how much harder it is to stay on top in the NFL. The 49ers 4 wins in 9 years and 5 in 14 was an awesome run as well. In the NHL the Canadiens won 8 in 13 years in the 50s and 60s all with Toe Blake coaching. 

I guess something that is tough(er) about college is that you are bringing new kids in every 3-4 years. I still think it's harder to stay on top in the pros. 

The roster turnover on a college team is insane and the flexibility required to win in different ways is like no other sport. Look at the different ways Saban has won at this level in terms of style and strategy.  I also give a lot of weight to the fact that in CFB, the only way to win a title is sustained excellence across an entire season— no getting hot in playoffs, no sneaking in as a wildcard, no taking games off. 

IMO it’s Wooden, Saban, everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That's what I keep telling my buddies. My main crew of guys that I have been friends with went to  Ohio State, Notre Dame, State Pen, Sparty, FSU, and Pitt. Even though AU is my #2 team I just want them to emulate Alabama, not fucking complain about them.

I fucking admire Alabama. It sucks watching them win, but damn if it isn't impressive. I get Saban is a generational coach, but it's perplexing how so many of his former assistants can't seem to grasp how he wins. You're around the motherfucker for 16-18 hrs a day and you didn't learn shit?

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I fucking admire Alabama. It sucks watching them win, but damn if it isn't impressive. I get Saban is a generational coach, but it's perplexing how so many of his former assistants can't seem to grasp how he wins. You're around the motherfucker for 16-18 hrs a day and you didn't learn shit?

You can learn it but then you have to do it and that’s two different things. His work ethic and focus is like no one else’s and the simple answer is they don’t want to work as hard as he does. It clearly is not without its personal toll.

• Hook 'Em 2

Props to Alabama and especially Steve Sarkisian. They were a juggernaut all year.

I just turned off my Hulu and will enter a seven month depression, like I always do when CFB is over. I love CFB, and I love al...mos...some of you aholes here, and I hope you consider Parliament your friend. Anyway, here is my current mood:

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Let’s just hope Sark has been taking a shitload of notes and can replicate Saban’s HCing skills here in Austin.   There’s a lot of difference in being a HC and an OC,  so......fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The roster turnover on a college team is insane and the flexibility required to win in different ways is like no other sport. Look at the different ways Saban has won at this level in terms of style and strategy.  I also give a lot of weight to the fact that in CFB, the only way to win a title is sustained excellence across an entire season— no getting hot in playoffs, no sneaking in as a wildcard, no taking games off. 

IMO it’s Wooden, Saban, everyone else. 

Good points. I think Saban is the greatest college coach we've ever seen. I just don't know if Bama's 6 in 12 is the most impressive run by one team in any sport ever. There's only a handful of teams every year that are even capable of putting similar talent on the field as Bama. Whereas in the NFL you have 29 teams that have the exact same amount of money that you do every year to spend on players - and 29 opposing coaching staffs that are as proficient as all but a handful of teams in college. 

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

What’s underrated is how hard it is to go undefeated in a season.  This was Sabans 2nd undefeated season ever, he now joins that very exclusive club.   There are many other famous names who caught lightning in a bottle and did it once.  

Osborne did it 3 times,  dick muncher at OU did it 4, rapey McJoePa did it 5, Gil Dobie did it 11 times. 

csb, my great grandfather is on that list.  

Joe Pa was your great grandpa, did uncle Sandusky babysit you?

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You can learn it but then you have to do it and that’s two different things. His work ethic and focus is like no one else’s and the simple answer is they don’t want to work as hard as he does. It clearly is not without its personal toll.

Perfect response. They don't want the responsibility and work as hard as he does. Plain and simple. He lives and breathes football because that's simply what he loves. Anyone thinking he's retiring this year is wish casting, nothing more. He's still got plenty left in the tank. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

They aren’t willing to work as hard. 

• Like 1