Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

These two jabronis wanted their first day of summer to involve AC and unlimited video games. Forecast looked good so I pulled the "self employed Friday" fire alarm. Put them on some trout / smacks. Then some beach time.

This is the ride home. Didn't know my buddy's kid was riding without the belt over his shoulder so zip it. c72c8a41a2934a44232e765441460223.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well word is out that the trout are on the flats at Matagorda Island. Boats lined up every couple hundred yards and so many waders all out there in a straight line that it looked like they were waiting for a damn a parade to roll by.

We did our part.

49 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Man I’m jealous. Worked in the yard off and on all day, it’s hot as balls and I’d love some refreshing ceviche.

Hot af. Took the kiddo to Brushy Creek and got skunked but she played hard and we cooled off afterward. Still better than not fishing. 

1D66254C-F4B0-4196-8F30-25D6537E2BA9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

funny AMA. lots of the comments are funny. he's experienced some shit in his life. survived a plane crash in Costa Rica (https://apnews.com/article/6e053182ce91688e6426f41947219940). found a dead body while lobster diving. and now almost gets eaten by a humpback.

What is the reaction when you get to the hospital to get checked out and the doctors ask you what happened?vel 2

I said “I got stuck in a whale’s mouth.” All the nurses and doctors at the hospital came to see me and ask me about it. One nurse came in with a notepad, she asked me for lottery numbers!

Yup we got to Ute Park and they started blowing up. Buddy took a pic just prior to the final rapid section of them just flying all over the place. Several times had one land on my glasses. When we dropped in the cathedral, the amount on the water was pretty nuts, hogs rising all around us. Good times.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MoJames said:

Yup we got to Ute Park and they started blowing up. Buddy took a pic just prior to the final rapid section of them just flying all over the place. Several times had one land on my glasses. When we dropped in the cathedral, the amount on the water was pretty nuts, hogs rising all around us. Good times.

most fun you can have with your pants on.*

*showing up 3 days after they roll through is...not fun.

glad you nailed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

most fun you can have with your pants on.*

*showing up 3 days after they roll through is...not fun.

glad you nailed it.

Right, we got lucky this round. Going to make it an annual thing but I doubt we will have as much luck every time. 

On 6/14/2021 at 10:26 AM, MoJames said:

IMG_9587.JPEG

This looks incredible.

For someone who knows zero, what is involved in doing a trip like this? Need to get some sort of permit way in advance? What level of proficiency on the boat do you need to have beforehand (any serious rapids?) What general fitness level? And if you use a guide (or is guide mandatory?), what's a ballpark total cost for a turnkey trip?

On 6/7/2021 at 2:31 PM, MoJames said:

PXL_20210606_195241708.jpg?width=799&height=599

3 Day Gunnison float. Many browns, some rainbows. Some rapids. Much whiskey and fun.

Such an amazing river to float. Hope everyone does this at least once. 

Edited by troph

10 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

This looks incredible.

For someone who knows zero, what is involved in doing a trip like this? Need to get some sort of permit way in advance? What level of proficiency on the boat do you need to have beforehand (any serious rapids?) What general fitness level? And if you use a guide (or is guide mandatory?), what's a ballpark total cost for a turnkey trip?

We paid a service to take the rafts down to the river (1 mile hike), provide food and a ride from the take out to the put in. That way we hike down to the river, float/fish for 3 days, get the take out and they are waiting for us to take the rafts etc. As well, I was with 4 guys who are very talented on a raft so we didn't need a guide. The river has several rapids from cat 2 up to a couple 3/4. The 3/4 rapids were significant. The hike down is significant, but not crazy. You can use a guide and they have services that the guide sets up camp for you (no clue on price, but not cheap). For the 5 of us getting 2 boats and camping two nights with food and beer (3 cases, prob needed 4) paid for, it was around $3500. Add a guide to that and the price shoots to the moon.

Sexy ass fish!

Ive had some success targeting bass (largies/Guads) on the fly on Brushy Creek but not as much as I would like.  Still not consistently getting interest even when im sightcasting to them.  Any suggestions on flies/retrieval techniques/any other helpful tidbits?  I am absolutely smashing the bluegills/sunfish/etc., including some nice fat ones.  I will be hitting up the fly shop soon but was curious if anyone has specific things that make em take the fly more often than not.

Pics from last few outings:

image_67181569.JPG

image_67186689.JPG

image_67149569.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Ive had some success targeting bass (largies/Guads) on the fly on Brushy Creek but not as much as I would like.  Still not consistently getting interest even when im sightcasting to them.  Any suggestions on flies/retrieval techniques/any other helpful tidbits?  I am absolutely smashing the bluegills/sunfish/etc., including some nice fat ones.  I will be hitting up the fly shop soon but was curious if anyone has specific things that make em take the fly more often than not.

The LM on Brushy can be difficult.  A fly with a lot of movement and something that rides hook-up and can be twitched along the bottom should help.   The Guads are usually much easier for me.  Just use a small streamer and let it swing through some of the faster riffles (quartering downstream casts).   

• Hook 'Em 1

any charter/captain recs out of key largo? 

we are in the area for a birthday party in Miami and are diving there on a Sunday and thinking near shore bay type fishing Monday morning half day.  up to 6 people.  could be convinced to make a modest run out if it's promising but no problem fishing close.  would love a rec.

Edited by troph

On 6/16/2021 at 9:09 AM, MoJames said:

We paid a service to take the rafts down to the river (1 mile hike), provide food and a ride from the take out to the put in. That way we hike down to the river, float/fish for 3 days, get the take out and they are waiting for us to take the rafts etc. As well, I was with 4 guys who are very talented on a raft so we didn't need a guide. The river has several rapids from cat 2 up to a couple 3/4. The 3/4 rapids were significant. The hike down is significant, but not crazy. You can use a guide and they have services that the guide sets up camp for you (no clue on price, but not cheap). For the 5 of us getting 2 boats and camping two nights with food and beer (3 cases, prob needed 4) paid for, it was around $3500. Add a guide to that and the price shoots to the moon.

It’s $1800 per person for 2 nights/2 guided days, all inclusive except for tips

27 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

pulling it out of the water for the hero shot is pretty fucking bush league...then just dumping it without trying to revive it? meh.

but yeah, apparently colombia is home to the biggest fish. peep this guy on instagram. 56 pound snook? 80 pound dorado? hot damn.

it's all the cocaine. definitely the cocaine.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

pulling it out of the water for the hero shot is pretty fucking bush league...then just dumping it without trying to revive it? meh.

but yeah, apparently colombia is home to the biggest fish. peep this guy on instagram. 56 pound snook? 80 pound dorado? hot damn.

Those dudes are getting roasted all over social media.